Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Indianapolis Colts Team Forum

Indianapolis Colts Team Forum Discuss the Colts

Old 01-02-2011, 06:24 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default The Official Colts Playoffs Thread - (Jets 17 - Colts 16) SEASON IS OVER. :(

Well, we made it. Luckily.

Please, lets have a more involved discussion.

We have plenty of intelligent posters. I'm looking forward to the opinions of key to this game by you guys.

I'll post my keys later.

vs.

Last edited by MaxV : 01-02-2011 at 06:29 PM.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:26 PM    (permalink
Bob Sanders Dreadlock
Pro Bowler

Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

From the other thread..
Can't stop running around the house like a little kid. Right now this team is eerily similar to 2006. For the most part we seem to be getting healthy and Jerry freakin Hughes made some plays!!! Plays like Collins fumbling at the end are just those "signs" that this team is destined to make some noise.

EDIT: In 2006 we were the #3 seed in the AFC...

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes

Last edited by Bob Sanders Dreadlock : 01-02-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Bob Sanders Dreadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:54 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Keys to the game vs. Jets

My keys to the game:

- Getting as many of our guys back as possible. Conner has played well, but he isn't as fast or experienced as Session. I'd rather have Hayden then Lacey also (leave Tryon as a starter, please). Who else am I forgetting?

- Stop the run! Stop the run! Stop the run! They did a heck of a job of that in the last 3 weeks, I hope they keep it up in the playoffs. Johnson, Moala and Foster (in situations) need to continue to do what they are capable of doing.

- More pass rush. Not much of that vs. the Titans. Freeney and Mathis gotta unleash the beasts inside them. And our interior guys, well they should rush the passer better then they have.

- Better play from our secondary wouldn't hurt either. I mean, I don't really blame them for today's game, Collins had the whole day to throw, but the DBs were biting on fakes too much today.

- Run the rock! Rhodes has found the fountain or youth (just needs to hold on to the ball), Addai and Brown are looking better as well. I've been impressed with our O-linemen (as far as run-blocking) lately also.

- Better play-calling. Lately, the offensive play-calling has forced me to scratch my head a bit. First, they've been predictable at times. Second, they've over-guessed themselves at time, trying to catch the defense by surprise.

- Passing offense being more efficient. With all the good things that we have had going for us in the last 3 weeks, the passing offense has actually been a bit inconsistent. 5 punts in the second half today, that's terrible. A lot of drops, inconsistent pass-blocking and Peyton forcing the issue a bit. I hope we get it together, it's our bread and butter.

- Special Teams. McAfee, well he was doing so well before that idiiotic swim of his. Adam is doing well. We are still giving up too many return yards, gotta fix that.

Last edited by MaxV : 01-02-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:56 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

Well it was a nice run by the colts. to bad there gonna get pooped on lol.

what are you guys looking for in the draft? im trying to put together a solid mock.
xxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:04 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Any posters are welcome to share their opinions in this thread, but no trolling.

For Colts' posters, ignore the stupid posters please.

Please don't turn this thread into a flame-fest.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:58 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This game probably gave me a new ulcer. I am really glad though that we're not backing into the playoffs. 9-7 and the 4th seed to me would've been almost worse than missing the playoffs altogether.

Manning's throws looked good today but either he or Christiansen need to figure out that 3 yard routes on 3rd and 10 don't work.

We REALLY need Hayden back. He has had his ups and downs but he is far better than either Lacey or Brown. Lacey + Tryon + Francisco + Brown = Kerry Collins tearing us up. I agree Tryon is the #2 corner on the roster now. He is better than Lacey, no doubt about it. If Powers and Hayden were healthy I would actually feel pretty good about our depth. But they're not so I don't.

Mookie and Moala have looked fantastic in run defense the last few weeks. It is obvious that AJ is feeling the best he has all year, he's very active and can shed blocks better than any other DT on the roster. Moala has been improving all season so they are peaking at the right time.

We lucked out in getting the Jets in the 1st round. I think we'll win that one. After that, I am concerned about the pass defense vs. a real QB. We haven't faced one of those since week 12.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:07 PM    (permalink
Bob Sanders Dreadlock
Pro Bowler

Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

- Garcon put some glue on those hands. For one every unexpected catch he makes he gives you a drop that makes you want to break everything in sight.

-Peyton has to figure out to play against the 3-4. Every team we will face in the AFC plays a 3-4.

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes
Bob Sanders Dreadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:14 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Don't underestimate the Jets.

With Cromartie and Revis back, they have a heck of a secondary and they can stop the run.

We might have to play small ball and win the turnover battle.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:17 PM    (permalink
RagingColt
Rookie

RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post

Reminds me of the '06 playoff game vs the Ravens.

Can't underestimate the Jets this week. Their pass rush isn't as good as it appeared late last year. That said Charlie and Diem need to have great games. Peyton took too many hits in the game vs the Titans in week17 but did do a good job moving around to buy extra time to throw. Garcon can't have an inconsistent game like he's had this season. I figure Revis will stick like glue to Wayne so both Garcon and White need solid to spectacular games for us to win.

Sanchize has been up and down this year so Free and Mathis need to get pressure early and often. The home crowd has to do it's part - should we win it would most likely be the last home game for this year. Got to make this one count.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:33 AM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

I was just kidding around.

What are your top needs? I assume defense, front 7?
Old 01-03-2011, 12:53 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

With Cromartie and Revis back, they have a heck of a secondary and they can stop the run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingColt View Post
Reminds me of the '06 playoff game vs the Ravens.

Can't underestimate the Jets this week. Their pass rush isn't as good as it appeared late last year.
No, you can underestimate the Jets. I mean, they have Brian Schottenheimer at offensive coordinator and have implemented the prevent defense.

No, the Colts needs to look past the Jets and worry about the teams that currently have a bye week. :P
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:33 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Jets' secondary scares me. Revis won't bite on Reggie's fakes and Cromartie won't get beat deep by Garcon. Tamme and White will have to play well. I also think Peyton should get the RBs involved in the passing game more.

On the other side of the ball, Jets' O-Line is excellent and it'll be very tough for our D-line. We'll have win battles at the line.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:36 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

Cromartie is a scrub. I think garcon is a better player than him.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:37 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree Reggie will struggle to produce. Even though the Jets are having a down year rushing the passer they are not terrible. Just average. That is good enough to give our OL problems. So Garcon will have to fight his way open a few times, Tamme will have to play like Dallas as much as possible, and my bold prediction is that Eldridge will have 5+ catches and 60+ yards, and at least 1 TD. He will need to help Diem on the right side and should be able to sneak over the middle for some big catches. Blair White will have a few chances too but a Rex Ryan defense is still a Rex Ryan defense which means they'll send lots of pass rushers. So I expect a lot of 2 TE sets.

i done stole dis sig
Old 01-03-2011, 05:19 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Then we definitely have to use Addai or Rhodes out of the backfield.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:06 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

I think Brown might have another decent game with equal touches running and catching the ball. He has looked good catching passes and has shown in the last few games that he can shake a tackler or two in space for a 1st. I'd like to see Manning use all the backs more in the passing game. That used to be a bigger part of the offense and with so many receiver injuries now would be the time to get back to it.

Also, it's no longer TBD. Saturday night, 8PM, NBC.

i done stole dis sig
Old 01-03-2011, 11:35 PM    (permalink
RagingColt
Rookie

RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Seems like simple stuff like swing passes to our RBs can be as effective as anything in the playoffs. The SB win vs the Bears being a key example as both Joe and Dom had monster receiving games.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:56 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
Cromartie is a scrub. I think garcon is a better player than him.
Yes, Cromartie is a terrible cornerback who the Colts should throw at as frequently as they can. And Revis is having a down year so Manning should have no fear throwing to whomever he is covering as well.

Nothing could go wrong with this strategy. The Colts should look past the Jets and worry more about having to face the Patriots, their fierce rival.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:59 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
Yes, Cromartie is a terrible cornerback who the Colts should throw at as frequently as they can. And Revis is having a down year so Manning should have no fear throwing to whomever he is covering as well.

Nothing could go wrong with this strategy. The Colts should look past the Jets and worry more about having to face the Patriots, their fierce rival.
In all seriousness I don't know how good Cro is or isn't this year.

i done stole dis sig
Old 01-04-2011, 11:27 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

But we do know that he plays very well against the Colts.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:35 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
But we do know that he plays very well against the Colts.
Except when he forgets to line up against Reggie Wayne at the snap.

i done stole dis sig
Old 01-05-2011, 11:47 PM    (permalink
RagingColt
Rookie

Via Paul Kuharsky's AFC South Blog:

The Colts' full injury report for Wednesday:
DB Al Afalava, Ankle, Full Participation
OT Ryan Diem, Back, Did Not Participate
DE Dwight Freeney, Rested, Did Not Participate
DB Kelvin Hayden. Neck, Did Not Participate
DT Antonio Johnson, Chest, Limited Participation
DE Robert Mathis, Rested, Did Not Participate
DT Dan Muir, Chest, Full Participation
DB Mike Newton, Hamstring, Did Not Participate
RB Dominic Rhodes, Hip, Did Not Participate
OG Jamey Richard, Concussion, Did Not Participate
LB Clint Session, Elbow, Did Not Participate
Old 01-06-2011, 02:21 AM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default An involved discussion

My players to watch

Tamme/White- To win this game we have to have production from them. The jets have gotten torched this year in the middle of the field. White in the slot and Tamme at TE are gonna have the best chance to make some big plays.

Rhodes- He is an outstanding back when he is fresh. Dom always looks great coming off the bench. I think if we can get him 7 - 12 carries he will have an awesome day and really give our offense a jump. It also depends on if our o-line shows up in the run like they have lately.

Freeney/Mathis- They gotta get to Sanchez early. Make him doubt his blocking and force some bad throws. I believe Mathis will get a strip sack in this game. The key though is to get the pressure early.

Muir/Johnson- These guys have gotten tremendous push lately and have created lanes for Bracket and Bethea to come in and make the tackle.

Lastly, and most importantly is our freaking coverage unit. Somebody has got to be a head hunter and knock some heads on punts and kicks. They are looking like they are scared of contact. They gotta forget it and explode on the returner. Keep contain and stay in lanes.

I'm mostly worried about the return game and the production of Tamme and White. They have done awesome but we just can't drop any balls if we want to get an offensive rythm.

To be honest I usually just read discussions but I decided to throw some things in here couse MaxV wants us to be involved. :) Hope it sounds like a pretty decent breakdown.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.
RCAChainGang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:39 AM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock View Post
Peyton has to figure out to play against the 3-4. Every team we will face in the AFC plays a 3-4.
I don't think it is as simple as lumping all the 3-4 teams together. If we get back to the Superbowl the route is probably going to be Jets-Steelers-Patriots. That will be a game against the Rex Ryan 3-4/46 Hybrid Pressure Defense. The game against the Steelers will be against the the Dick LeBeau Zone Blitz 3-4 Defense. The game against the Patriots will be against the Fairbanks-Bullough 2 Gap 3-4 Defense.

Manning has a great record against the Ryan Defense. He is 7-1 against that type of Defense (his only loss coming last year when Polian pulled the Starters against the Jets). Manning is 160 from 246 (65%), for 15 TDs, on 5 Ints, with 8.4 ypa, for a Quarterback Rating of 102.9. He has played very well against the Ryan 3-4 Defense.

He also has a great record against the LeBeau Defense. He is 5-1 against that type of Defense (his only loss being the "He Missed It" game). He is 113 from 196 (57.6%), for 13 TDs, on 3 Ints, with a 7.6 ypa, for a Quarterback Rating of 97.5.

Manning struggles against the other two types of 3-4 Defenses. The Bum Phillips One Gap Defense (as used by the Colts regular bogey team the San Diego Chargers). That is why I am worried about the Texans hiring Wade Phillips to be their DC. The other system that Manning heavily struggles with is the 2 Gap Defense (as used by New England and the Belichick coaching tree). It is why Manning struggled against Romeo Crennel this year. He struggles against that system.

So it isn't as simple as to say Manning does poorly against the 3-4. As shown against two of the 3-4 Defenses the Colts are likely to face in this game, and, if they win this game, the next game, Manning is 12-2.

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

In Baseball the object is to go home and be safe.

Last edited by Seamus2602 : 01-06-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Seamus2602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:01 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Good post Seamus. I am also concerned about the Wade Phillips hire in Houston. Mario Williams, Brian Cushing, and possibly Amobe Okoye are about to become a lot more of a problem.

I am most concerned not with the offense, but the defense. I think White, Tamme, and possibly Eldridge will have big days and Cro will probably be good for a screwup or two for a big play to Garcon. Wayne will probably have <5 catches for <50 yards. The OL I think will hold up. But we have one quality starter in our defensive backfield in Bethea. Tryon is a great NB and OK #2 CB but as a #1 he is overmatched. Lacey, Brown, and Francisco should not be NFL starters, ever.

If the team sits back in soft zone I am afraid even Mark Sanchez will carve us up. I think this team will need to take a few risks on defense to go anywhere in the post season.

i done stole dis sig