Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 01-08-2011, 06:32 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Dionte Allen is awful.
sour grapes much sniper? :D

seriously though, the coaches loved him when he was a recruit because his skills were a perfect fit for what we like to do on defense so maybe they can rekindle some kind of fire out of him as a 5th year senior. They say he looked good in practice this year on the scout team. At worst he'll provide more competition with guys like Dominic Clarke, Bradley Roby, and Doran Grant for that open starting corner spot opposite Travis Howard.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:25 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
sour grapes much sniper? :D
No, not at all. I watched him play at FSU- he's not good.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:03 AM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman4579 View Post
My guess is, not happening. The rumblings seem to be coming from LSU message boards, while LSU's players are saying no chance he goes. Neither is really a great source. I'd say at this point there's about as much chance of Brady Hoke as Les Miles.
I hate quoting myself, but I'm definately backing off this statement, at least the "not happening" part. Miles to Michigan seems to be picking up speed, as a rumor at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!
ironman4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:44 AM    (permalink
HindSight
Veteran

HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
That's completely bush league crap. Can't believe that. Saw it live, but I thought he was on the ground anyway. Complete intent to injure there....Good thing it didn't amount to anything serious.
happened right after halftime, too. I wonder if he got any instruction from Arky's staff to take Heyward out.

(I don't really "wonder")
HindSight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:15 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought this was interesting for you Michigan fans. From a Bruce Feldman article:

Quote:
For the past three years I have been granted unfettered access to the Michigan football program, from the meeting room to the locker room, to write a book about what I've seen. I thought I knew college football, and particularly Michigan football, as well as anyone. But after three years of seeing everything up close, I can tell you this unequivocally: I had no idea.
  • If the tenure of Michigan coach Rich Rodriguez, who was fired Wednesday, looked chaotic to outsiders, it appeared positively crazy from the inside.
In this story, Bacon talks about how Michigan had offered the coaching job to Greg Schiano, but he turned it down, so they turned to Rodriguez. A source I have once told me that Schiano regretted that decision right after he made it and frantically tried to get back in on the Wolverines job, but it was too late. Rodriguez had jumped at it. I'm curious about whether things would have been different in the Big East and the Big Ten if he had taken it instead of Rodriguez.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:24 AM    (permalink
Marino13
Veteran

Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yeah under Bill Martin there was a lot of chaos mainly because everybody advising him said go after Les Miles, but Llyod told him no. Then Rod had a lot of problems with different factions (some his fault, some not), but most of the damage was unrepairable after Michigan got sanctioned.

Only poor thing Brandon has done so far is fire Rod so close to signing day. Only been 5 days, but a new coach is going to have a lot of work to do getting a class together.

As for the search, reports are Miles will be interviewed tomorrow, but insiders feel Brady Hoke will end up as the coach. Seems like some within the university still have bad blood with Les.
Marino13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:53 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/...turns-to-boise

Quote:
Boise State just announced that Brent Pease will return to the school and receive a promotion to offensive coordinator. Pease had previously worked with Boise State's receivers before leaving to become Indiana's offensive coordinator.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:54 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

http://www.sportswriters.net/fwaa/ne...ica110110.html

FWAA freshman All-American team.

Quote:
TE Ted Bolser, Indiana 6-6 252 Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:
DT Akeem Spence, Illinois 6-1 305 Fort Walton Beach, Fla.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:54 PM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My one prediction for the 2011 Michigan football season, regardless of who the next head coach is. Vincent Smith will go from having the most carries among the returning RB's to the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!
ironman4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:44 PM    (permalink
Marino13
Veteran

Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman4579 View Post
My one prediction for the 2011 Michigan football season, regardless of who the next head coach is. Vincent Smith will go from having the most carries among the returning RB's to the least.
part of me wants to think/hopes that his poor year was still because he was coming off an ACL tear, but I'd agree. I think Touissant will get a chance for more carries.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:58 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

this is why the AP Poll is complete horse****. Not to mention that Herbstreit/ESPN have an agenda:

http://www.theozone.net/football/201...eitballot.html
Old 01-11-2011, 01:59 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Iowa football team was remarkably prescient when asked about UM's coaching situation years and years ago.

Hokey Pokey
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:07 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Guys, if Iowa doesn't win the National Championship next year, I hope you do. That way, at least we can all say we won a football national championship in 2011-12.

Also, if we don't, I hope one of you wins the first Big Ten championship. It will really be something to say we won the very first Big Ten championship game.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:17 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
this is why the AP Poll is complete horse****. Not to mention that Herbstreit/ESPN have an agenda:

http://www.theozone.net/football/201...eitballot.html
Yep, Herbstreit is an empty suit. Programmed by his superiors to follow their agenda. Which in this case is pro-SEC/anti B1G. Trying to slide OSU out of the top 5, which didn't work.

There is nothing objective in their CFB work anymore. It's all scripted WWE style. It is really beginning to drain on the enjoyment of college sports.

I can't wait for Fox or CBS to scoop up the B1G, Big 12, and Pac12 contracts. It's complete horsepoo.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:03 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wanted to post this here, because the guys at GBW will not appreciate it and will probably rip me for posting it. I know guys like Sniper and ironman will appreciate it.

Quote:
I fail to see any logical reasoning behind the assertion that we could just plug in a new defensive coordinator and we would've been fine. Rod had already hired two defensive coordinators at U-M and both were huge misses. Could the third time have been the charm? Maybe, but I certainly wouldn't assume it to be the case. What makes everyone think that a good defensive coordinator would come here knowing that if he didn't perform a miracle, he would be one and done? I don't think we have a lot of talent on the defensive side of the ball. It doesn't matter who is at fault, it just isn't there. A defensive coordinator's primary responsibility is calling the defensive plays while the defensive assistants' primary responsibility is coaching and developing the talent. Is anyone really going to try and argue that defensive play calling was the difference between 10-3 and 7-6? Not only would we need a new defensive coordinator, but new position coaches on that side of the ball as well. Would Rod have agreed to fire his guys that he's been loyal to for most of his career? How much difference would a new coordinator really make? In our six losses, we were outscored by an average of 21 points per game. That's three touchdowns per game. Which coach would make up that big of a difference? Bill Belichick could've been defensive coordinator and we might have ended up with one more win. Our defense is in shambles and has hit rock bottom. It is AT LEAST two years away from being where it needs to be. A new defensive coordinator likely wouldn't be afforded that time.

I also don't believe our offense is as strong as many Michigan want you to believe. It averaged 12.7 points per game against Michigan State, Ohio State, and Mississippi State. 13 points isn't going to beat very many ranked teams, unless you have an elite defense. The offense scored 7 points in the first half combined, against Iowa and Wisconsin. We did not surpass 20 points in either game until both of those games were out of reach and our opponents let off the gas. Purdue held us to less points (27) then their season average (28.8). Only Ball State and Northwestern scored fewer points against the Boilermakers and 7 of our 27 points came off of a defensive score. Ohio State, Michigan State, Purdue, and Mississippi State all held our offense to fewer points then their average. 67 points against Illinois was exciting, but it took us 20 possessions and 3 overtimes to get there. The yardage numbers are awesome, but you need to get into the end zone. You don't win games by racking up lots of yards. Our offense was very good and looked promising, but it wasn't great like a lot of people think it was.

Ultimately, for me, it came down to improvement. I know wins and losses are what matter most, but I don't believe the team was as good as their record indicated. I didn't see the overall improvement that other claim we had. Sure the offense improved, but defense and special teams got much worse. We were 7-6 but that was not without some luck. If not for a ridiculous catch by Junior Hemingway against Indiana and an uncharacteristic stop by the defense in the third overtime against Illinois, we could've just as easily been 5-7 or 6-7. If we went and replayed the season today, the team would struggle to get to 7-6 again.

Am I happy about how the current situation has happened? No, but I'm not as pessimistic as most are. No damage has been done yet. We may lose a couple of recruits? Ok, but you don't keep a football coach who is a terrible fit just to hang onto a couple of high school kids who may or may not pan out. As of now, it only looks like this coaching change is going to cost us one guy. Dee Hart had said he was decommitting regardless of if Rodriguez was retained or not. I don't love Brady Hoke, and he certainly is no where near the top of my wish list, but I think he can do better at Michigan than Rich Rodriguez did. He doesn't run a 3-3-5 scheme by the way. He runs a "whatever best utilizes the talent on my roster". He ran a 4-3 at Ball State. It's been stated before that when he got to San Diego State the team had very little talent on the defensive line and it's best players were in the secondary. I'd be stunned to see him keep the 3-3-5 at Michigan considering that our defensive line is the only unit that could be considered somewhat of a strength and our secondary is atrocious. It will be nice to have a coach who tailors his scheme to his players' talents instead of forcing his players into his scheme.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:06 PM    (permalink
Marino13
Veteran

a report just came out said that the team, cheered when Brady Hoke was announced as the new coach.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:12 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marino13 View Post
a report just came out said that the team, cheered when Brady Hoke was announced as the new coach.
A 2nd report came out shortly after stating that the players from the defense are still cheering because they can't stop anything.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 01-11-2011, 04:15 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

So going forward, how does Michigan look now with the personnel they have and what Hoke is going to run?

I'm assuming their defense is still going to be underwhelming, but might be better now that the god awful 3-3-5 is gone. Will Hoke immediately try to change the offense, or will he let it ride with Denard while trying to slowly implement his offense?

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 01-11-2011, 04:18 PM    (permalink
Marino13
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
So going forward, how does Michigan look now with the personnel they have and what Hoke is going to run?

I'm assuming their defense is still going to be underwhelming, but might be better now that the god awful 3-3-5 is gone. Will Hoke immediately try to change the offense, or will he let it ride with Denard while trying to slowly implement his offense?
everybody says Hoke adapts to his players. He ran a 4-3 at Ball State but let Rocky Long run a 3-3-5 at SDSU. We'll see.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:49 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
everybody says Hoke adapts to his players. He ran a 4-3 at Ball State but let Rocky Long run a 3-3-5 at SDSU. We'll see.
Better hope you move from the 3-3-5 at least after this year. That **** sucks so hard.

So what do those of infinite wisdom over at mgoblog have to say about this blasphemous act of replacing richrod?

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 01-11-2011, 04:51 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Wait, he lets his DC actually choose what defense he runs? What a loser.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:13 PM    (permalink
Marino13
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Wait, he lets his DC actually choose what defense he runs? What a loser.
yeah it's a novel concept. Another thing I'm seeing/hearing is Hoke wants his teams to be physical and disciplined.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:15 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
yeah it's a novel concept. Another thing I'm seeing/hearing is Hoke wants his teams to be physical and disciplined.
We can't be having that. Next thing you're going to tell me is that he doesn't want them to fumble.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:29 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
So what do those of infinite wisdom over at mgoblog have to say about this blasphemous act of replacing richrod?
MGoBlog is currently down (the message boards at least). But here is a quote from GBW:

This in a thread titles "early 2011 win projection":
Quote:
1-11 with Hoke

12-1 if Rich was still here
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:38 PM    (permalink
Marino13
Veteran

Braylon tweeted this

All current players, students, faculty & all of my fellow alumnus we need to unite, stand by him, be patient, & support him! #GoBlue

So far I know for a fact that Ron Bellamy, Dan Dierdorf, Braylon, Dhani Jones, Mike Hart, and Rich Eisen have all been open about being thrilled with the hire with Woodson, Brady, and Griese all being said to be thrilled with the hire.