Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 01-09-2011, 09:16 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He throws side arm, or, EXACTLY has the same throwing motion as Philip Rivers.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:18 PM    (permalink
JPP90
Veteran

JPP90 could make a wolverine purr.JPP90 could make a wolverine purr.JPP90 could make a wolverine purr.JPP90 could make a wolverine purr.JPP90 could make a wolverine purr.JPP90 could make a wolverine purr.JPP90 could make a wolverine purr.

Except Rivers doesn't have a deliberate, elongated, slow release.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:32 PM    (permalink
Legend234
Rookie

Legend234 is a cocksman.Legend234 is a cocksman.Legend234 is a cocksman.Legend234 is a cocksman.Legend234 is a cocksman.

you could see the coach chewing him out for that last throw and him defending himself saying "he was wide open."
Legend234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:01 PM    (permalink
SF Dolphin Fan
Rookie

SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think he ends up in a Brad Smith wildcat role. At least in the beginning. He could develop into more, but I think it will take time, patience and a good offense coordinator/qb coach.
SF Dolphin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:13 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPP90 View Post
Except Rivers doesn't have a deliberate, elongated, slow release.

Okay, so Philip Rivers is a 'quick release'(??) sidearm QB, whereas Kaepernick is slow releasing the ball??
I don't think so.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:18 PM    (permalink
JPP90
Veteran

JPP90 could make a wolverine purr.JPP90 could make a wolverine purr.JPP90 could make a wolverine purr.JPP90 could make a wolverine purr.JPP90 could make a wolverine purr.JPP90 could make a wolverine purr.JPP90 could make a wolverine purr.

Yeah that doesn't make you much of a QB though. When it comes down to it Pat White was a lesson learned on these oddball dual-threat QBs without NFL arms. Miami just flushed a 2nd round pick down the toilet thinking he'd serve some purpose at the next level.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:24 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The guy is a solid 2nd round pick and anybody who doesn't see that has never actually watched the guy play. Compare him to whomever you want, but the point is that when people compare him it's always to very successful QBs which he will likely be in the NFL someday.

In time he can shorten his delivery, if Tebow can put a dent in the worst delivery of all-time, I would think Kaepernick could shorten his a bit, especially with his naturally strong arm.

The guy he reminds me of most is Randall Cunningham. I've been watching Nevada the past two years mostly because of this guy and with his long linear frame, strong arm, great athletic ability and straight-line speed, as well as his whip-like release, he just screams Cunningham.
brasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:26 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

BTW, Dontay Moch is showing he COULD easily be a 4-3 DE. On numerous occasions he has split double teams to make plays in the running game as well as bull rushing the OL (Constanzo once) right into the lap of the QB. He's plenty big at this point... I like him a lot.
brasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:28 PM    (permalink
JPP90
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasho View Post
The guy is a solid 2nd round pick and anybody who doesn't see that has never actually watched the guy play. Compare him to whomever you want, but the point is that when people compare him it's always to very successful QBs which he will likely be in the NFL someday.

In time he can shorten his delivery, if Tebow can put a dent in the worst delivery of all-time, I would think Kaepernick could shorten his a bit, especially with his naturally strong arm.

The guy he reminds me of most is Randall Cunningham. I've been watching Nevada the past two years mostly because of this guy and with his long linear frame, strong arm, great athletic ability and straight-line speed, as well as his whip-like release, he just screams Cunningham.
He's playing right now, and he doesn't look like a 2nd round prospect whatsoever.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:39 PM    (permalink
Legend234
Rookie

Legend234 is a cocksman.Legend234 is a cocksman.Legend234 is a cocksman.Legend234 is a cocksman.Legend234 is a cocksman.

i thought nevada's offense and kaepernick would be a lot more impressive. The lb for BC #40 is a stud, but is the rest of their front seven really that good?
Legend234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:45 PM    (permalink
JPP90
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend234 View Post
i thought nevada's offense and kaepernick would be a lot more impressive. The lb for BC #40 is a stud, but is the rest of their front seven really that good?
This isn't a typical BC team. Its LB's and not much else. They are seriously thin on talent right now.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:47 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If I'm an NFL GM, I take Kaepernick in the third round and feel pretty good about it.

-Very good arm strength
-Footwork is pretty good despite playing in the pistol
-Understands the idea of steeping up into the pocket and evading the rush
-Athletic and mobile, with big play ability when things break down
-Smart kid and conducts himself well off of the field
-Thew down the field in college
-Goes through progressions well. Won't panic if the first read isn't there.
-Could very well get put into a Brad Smith role and even run a bit of Nevada's offense in the NFL. The Pistol is a formation on the rise and has already gotten looks in the NFL.

There are a few things working against him though. His delivery is funky and will need to be reworked. He's been working to do that for awhile now and has attended the Manning Camp for a few years now in order to work on his fundamentals and get better as a pocket passer. It really started to pay off his Senior Year. His future in the NFL isn't as a running quarterback, it's as a tall pocket passer who is also a good athlete. Doesn't have the wiggle to make in the NFL doing the type of stuff he does as a runner and he'll likely run into injuries if he keeps at it. He still has that entire "I can do whatever I want" attitude about him and he'll try to press and make a big play when nothing is there. When the Nevada wide receivers weren't running by people and getting separation, he threw into coverage quite a bit. His decision making is pretty good as a rule though, but NFL defenders will make him pay on some of his mistakes.

Not the best game by him today, but I still stand by all of that. Nevada has been taken out of rhythm completely by Boston College. They're winning the game, but they're running completely hot and cold. When the rush yards aren't there, suddenly they aren't this explosive offense. But Kaepernick has a lot to work with going into the NFL. He'll take a couple of years on the bench learning behind someone, but he offers enough as an athlete to put him as a wide receiver/gadget player while he learns the nuances of the NFL and tweaks his mechanics.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:53 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPP90 View Post
Yeah that doesn't make you much of a QB though. When it comes down to it Pat White was a lesson learned on these oddball dual-threat QBs without NFL arms. Miami just flushed a 2nd round pick down the toilet thinking he'd serve some purpose at the next level.
You kill me JPP90 how you absolutely HATE any dual-threat QB not name 'Jake Locker.'

Colin needs an NFL QB coach and a couple years to sit. I'd spend a 2nd rounder on him, easy.

BTW, if Pat White was 4 inches taller and had a genuine NFL arm, he'd still be in the pros.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:57 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
You kill me JPP90 how you absolutely HATE any dual-threat QB not name 'Jake Locker.'
That doesn't exist in the NFL for anyone not named Michael Vick and I'm not sure it ever really can. It's a major plus Kaepernick is the type of athlete he is, but he's not going to be a dual threat guy in the NFL. Mobile, yeah, but he's too big a target and not quick enough to live up to that label in the NFL.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 01-09-2011, 10:58 PM    (permalink
JPP90
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
If I'm an NFL GM, I take Kaepernick in the third round and feel pretty good about it.

-Very good arm strength
-Footwork is pretty good despite playing in the pistol
-Understands the idea of steeping up into the pocket and evading the rush
-Athletic and mobile, with big play ability when things break down
-Smart kid and conducts himself well off of the field
-Thew down the field in college
-Goes through progressions well. Won't panic if the first read isn't there.
-Could very well get put into a Brad Smith role and even run a bit of Nevada's offense in the NFL. The Pistol is a formation on the rise and has already gotten looks in the NFL.

There are a few things working against him though. His delivery is funky and will need to be reworked. He's been working to do that for awhile now and has attended the Manning Camp for a few years now in order to work on his fundamentals and get better as a pocket passer. It really started to pay off his Senior Year. His future in the NFL isn't as a running quarterback, it's as a tall pocket passer who is also a good athlete. Doesn't have the wiggle to make in the NFL doing the type of stuff he does as a runner and he'll likely run into injuries if he keeps at it. He still has that entire "I can do whatever I want" attitude about him and he'll try to press and make a big play when nothing is there. When the Nevada wide receivers weren't running by people and getting separation, he threw into coverage quite a bit. His decision making is pretty good as a rule though, but NFL defenders will make him pay on some of his mistakes.

Not the best game by him today, but I still stand by all of that. Nevada has been taken out of rhythm completely by Boston College. They're winning the game, but they're running completely hot and cold. When the rush yards aren't there, suddenly they aren't this explosive offense. But Kaepernick has a lot to work with going into the NFL. He'll take a couple of years on the bench learning behind someone, but he offers enough as an athlete to put him as a wide receiver/gadget player while he learns the nuances of the NFL and tweaks his mechanics.
That is a nice analysis, though a tad exaggerated. This isn't a guy that sits and reads defenses. Hate the long pitcher's delivery but he does have an arm. The problem is you just described a huge project...like trying to get Matt Jones to play QB. You don't take guys like him as high as the 3rd round..you get a player who can definently help your team now. At least it *should* be the logic used. This is why I think from the 5th round on...if you see something there that you can coach out of him over time, take him. Pat White would still be in the NFL if he were drawing 6th round paychecks.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:05 PM    (permalink
JPP90
Veteran

Quote:

Colin needs an NFL QB coach and a couple years to sit. I'd spend a 2nd rounder on him, easy.

BTW, if Pat White was 4 inches taller and had a genuine NFL arm, he'd still be in the pros.
I don't like the majority of them projecting to the NFL...sue me.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:39 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
I'm confused... so the obscene physical tools Cam Newton has could potentially land him in the top 5 of the draft, but Colin Kaepernick, with a ton of physical ability of his own could go undrafted?

And Kaepernick is a really good kid as well as a great leader in the huddle.
Kaepernick's physical tools are significantly weaker than Newton's (both are 6'6", but Newton has 25 lbs on him, similar speed, bigger arm, more agility, more explosion, etc). Newton doesn't throw with a baseball motion. Newton has rare talent, but hasn't been in an offense that shows them off. Kaepernick has 4 years of game film. I have a feeling fans will do the same thing with Kaepernick as they did with Dan LeFevour.

I see Kaepernick as a high risk high reward prospect that will get drafted, but late.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:12 AM    (permalink
ThePudge
Pro Bowler

ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kaepernick does not strike me as a much better prospect than 2008 3rd Round pick Kevin O'Connell (Patriots - San Diego State.) 6'5 225, 4.61 speed, but less college production/experience than the Nevada product. That Pistol offense also made Jeff Rowe look like a decent prospect though.

Kaepernick surely has the size, the pocket elusiveness, and athleticism; however, I question his throwing mechanics, footwork, level of competition, and college system. We should get the chance to see him work with NFL coaching at one of the Senior all-star games. His arm strength and accuracy have been tough to get a great read on as you'll see flashes at times but it's nothing consistent enough to really turn your head. I'm interested to see how he'll look getting into a rhythm throwing under center; I think that will be a big determinant as to where he's drafted in April. A ceiling, to me, would be the 3rd Round but I think you'll likely see him struggle a bit in coming weeks and slide to the 5th-6th.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
- For daily NFL draft coverage:
www.twitter.com/ryanlownes
ThePudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:22 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePudge View Post
Kaepernick does not strike me as a much better prospect than 2008 3rd Round pick Kevin O'Connell (Patriots - San Diego State.) 6'5 225, 4.61 speed, but less college production/experience than the Nevada product. That Pistol offense also made Jeff Rowe look like a decent prospect though.
That's a good name to bring up. He actually reminds me of him a lot physically. I was a big fan of O'Connell coming out and thought he had a decent shot of turning into something behind Brady. He actually did not look completely lost when he got in a bit in 2008 and the Pre-Season. Torn labrum has really set him back big time though, but I could still see him doing something in the league somewhere down the line but he is likely limited to being a backup.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 01-10-2011, 12:47 AM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Could Vince Young be a decent comparision for him? Or ceiling to how VY did in his good years in TN. I think with the proper coaching this kid could be a starter. He is good enough of a athlete to make a impact early in a wildcat type offence. He needs to add 10-15 and still maintain his speed to make it in the NFL also

My Raiders Mock

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:59 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePudge View Post
and was that a terribly bad reach. . . :/
Old 01-10-2011, 01:29 AM    (permalink
JPP90
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderNation View Post
Could Vince Young be a decent comparision for him? Or ceiling to how VY did in his good years in TN. I think with the proper coaching this kid could be a starter. He is good enough of a athlete to make a impact early in a wildcat type offence. He needs to add 10-15 and still maintain his speed to make it in the NFL also
Yeah that would be a great possibility if any NFL team ran the wildcat as a base offense.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:48 AM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think he will be drafted in the 4th - 5th rounds. Physically he has all the attributes. He also made some very nice throws yesterday. He is a developmental prospect.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:28 AM    (permalink
RealityCheck
All-Pro

RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Mallett, Newton, Locker and Kaepernick are the top 4 QBs in this draft.
What this guy said, switching CK and Locker.
RealityCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:31 AM    (permalink
Morton
Veteran

Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton

Anyone who watched this game: could you tell me how OLB Dontay Moch did?

Impressive?
Morton is offline   Reply With Quote