Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-24-2007, 11:56 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Grade your teams offseason

How do you think your team has fared?

49ers

FA's

Nate Clements, CB (Bills)

Nate Clements got an "80 million" dollar contract. I get to see a lot of bills games but i never really zeroed in on clements until the latter part of this season. He played very well against talent like andre johnson and marvin harrison. That being said, according to numerous posters he has been very rocky over the past couple of years is a "on and off" type. So we will see with this signing.

Michael Lewis, SS (Eagles)

Michael Lewis played very bad last year but he did go to a pro bowl so hopefully he can regain that form. As well his contract is full of ungaraunteed roster bonuses only so there should be no cap hit if he plays terrible and is cut at any point of his contract.

Aurbrayo Franklin, NT (Ravens)

Truth be told i dont know a lot about this guy. But hes a true NT and thats something we needed. Hes the starter but he will likely be used in a rotation.

Tully Banta-Cain, OLB (Patriots)

I certainly hope there is some untapped talent in him. He was stuck in the dept chart behind willie mcciginest and rosevelt colvin, so its not like he had to beat out nobodies. Wasnt great in PT but he showed some pass rushing capabilities and hopefully he brings it to the bay.

Ashley Lelie, WR (Falcons)

I'm not a huge fan but he is pretty good at YPC and signed a very cheap deal. Hopefully he has a chip on his shoulder and can produce.

Colby Bockwoldt, LB (Titans)

I dont know anything about him. Was a 7th round pick from NO that got to start a few games so hopefully that bodes well for us. Main reason he came was because he knew our ST coach Al Everest from his playing days in New Orleans. Likely a ST ace but could be used in rotational packages.

That was pretty much it for FA's. But there was a lot more that happened. The 49ers had to replace their OC (Norv Turner) DC (Billy Davis) and ST coach (Larry Mac Duff). They replaced OC Turner with Jim Hostler, Alex Smith's QB Coach. Definitely a downgrade and unproven. Greg Manusky replaced DC Davis. I really like manusky. He was the LB coach in San Diego and produced great LB play from the likes of merriman, edwards, phillips, and foley, who all blossomed under his coaching. Also, he was going to be a DC this offseason. Phillips wanted him in Dallas, and AJ Smith wanted him in San Diego. This tells me he was a rising star in the coaching ranks and im excited to see what he brings. I heard Everest had a pretty decent ST in New Orleans and helped Michael Lewis in returns there, so hopefully he brings it here as well.

I like the additions the 49ers have made. Weve lost some players like TE Eric Johnson, but with davis johnson wasnt going to get a chance to start. I also really wanted adalius but he did not want to be in SF because it was in the west coast (read it in a peter king article) and he did not want to be away from his family in the east coast. So we did the best we could in the situation. We also lost Antonio Bryant but his off the field problems were just too big. I dont think he has even been contacted by any other teams and it isnt because of any talent issues. He would be on his 3rd team in 3 years if he signed with someone else, and 4th team overall in his young career.

Overall i would grade it a B.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote