Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 01-16-2011, 08:28 PM    (permalink
Flaming Mo
Rookie

Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

EPIC WIN!!! What an effort by these Jets...
Flaming Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:31 PM    (permalink
Flaming Mo
Rookie

Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
Alright, we are only half a day away from the big game in Foxboro...

I really respect the Jets to come out fired up and extremely prepared for this game. The mental aspect of this contest works completely in their favor. They are the ones who have to avenge a loss, they are the underdogs, are much more experienced in big games lately than the Pats and Rex also fueled the hatred this week. This team thrives on the us against the world attitude and this week is exactly this kind of situation.

On offense I expect us to run a lot early, even if the Patriots stack the box. We should see a lot of quick, short throws on slants and out routes so that we limit the amount of snaps where Sanchez has to make a read at the end of the play. NE will be looking to stop the run and with Wilfork in there I dont see much success up the middle. LT underneath should be open all day and if we get to the edge with Greene we should be able to move it effectively. Sanchez should be used on a lot of roll outs and Schottenheimer has to move the pocket. I could also see the Jets having something up their sleeve like a Brad Smith pass or some kind of trick play. As we've seen in yesterday's playoff games, we just cant afford to turn the ball over. It seems like a moot point but taking care of the ball is so critical in the postseason, especially on the road.

The defense played very well last week and we need the same effort from this group this week. Guys like Bart Scott and David Harris have to send a message early on to ball carriers, blockers and underneath receivers that it will be a physical, punishing game. Set the tone early, not with trash talk or stupid penalties but by really attacking the line of scrimmage and throwing a real haymaker at the NE offense. Of course it will be critical to get pressure on Brady but I see the Jets using a mixup between heavy pressure and what helped them beat last Manning (few blitzes, more coverage and baiting the Pats to run it). Confuse Brady and make him think twice about his playcalling. Cromartie has to have a big game and cannot look lost in coverage again like he did last week. Revis should face Welker all game long. The X factors are players like Erik Smith, Drew Coleman and Marquise Cole. They have to make the tackles on the NE receivers and not allow yards after the catch. Shaun Ellis is another guy I expect to have a big game. He hasnt been good recently but he always gets up for the Pats.

Go get em boys!!!
Sorry to quote myself but man did Ellis have a huge game today. The Pats had no answer for him whatsoever. It was awesome to see long time Jets like him and Cotch have big time performances... made the win almost a little sweeter if that is even possible!
Old 01-16-2011, 08:47 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

^Shaun Ellis sure did have a big game. As did Cotchery.

I know I've been really hard on Braylon and Santonio but they were outstanding today. That Holmes TD catch bas beautiful.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:10 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Congratulations. Now, you have to beat Pittsburgh. Please do this in a most violent manner, as I don't wish to hear TT's blabbering about another Pittsburgh SB.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:14 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Congrats. No doubt about it you were the better team.

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:14 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSchneider View Post
Congratulations. Now, you have to beat Pittsburgh. Please do this in a most violent manner, as I don't wish to hear TT's blabbering about another Pittsburgh SB.
You respect TT's blabbering CJ!

Props to clover_jeez!
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:17 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
Thanks Nalej. The Patriots may have lost today, but they're built to be a SB contender for years to come.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:27 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
This. You guys beat us straight up, it sucked to watch but I give the Jets major props. The celebrating and stuff at the end was tough to stomach but seeing Ryan and Belichick shake hands and sort of hug/exchange words was strangely cool to see, it's nice to see at least amongst the coaches there may be some respect between them.
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:46 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Jets caused some of the worst play from the Patriots all year. Two of the worst plays I've seen from McCourty all year, the DL was abused (though, that's not the first time), and the OL (especially Connolly) could not block 3 to 4 men long enough.

Mostly, they did a damn good job covering the outside WRs and doubling down the inside guys.

I was impressed by what I saw from the Jets.

Congratulations. That had to be one of the worst ways to lose.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:31 AM    (permalink
AHungryWalrus
Veteran

AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
This. You guys beat us straight up, it sucked to watch but I give the Jets major props. The celebrating and stuff at the end was tough to stomach but seeing Ryan and Belichick shake hands and sort of hug/exchange words was strangely cool to see, it's nice to see at least amongst the coaches there may be some respect between them.
Rex definitely respects the hell out of Belichick. He just wants Jets fans to think that we might start finally having a chance to win against them after ten straight years of losing.
AHungryWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:31 PM    (permalink
msolimani
Rookie

msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.

http://www.patriots.com/mediacenter/...47329&pcid=169

This guy makes me laugh.
msolimani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:22 AM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1) Leading up to this game I would like to see alot less talk. Pitt is one of the few teams that can hit with us for a full game and I really see no reason to piss them off. Looks like we might be going that direction as well

2)Random and un-related, but if this offseason it came down to picking between keeping Cro and Braylon or losing them and getting Nnamdi which one would you guys pick? (assuming Harris and Holmes are also kept)

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:55 AM    (permalink
AHungryWalrus
Veteran

AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETS5128 View Post
1) Leading up to this game I would like to see alot less talk. Pitt is one of the few teams that can hit with us for a full game and I really see no reason to piss them off. Looks like we might be going that direction as well

2)Random and un-related, but if this offseason it came down to picking between keeping Cro and Braylon or losing them and getting Nnamdi which one would you guys pick? (assuming Harris and Holmes are also kept)
I would rather keep Bray than Tone. Better blocker, cheaper, wants to be here, bigger target for Sanchez.

But would rather have Nnamdi than Tone and Cro.

Our offense the first four games, other than Baltimore, was extremely productive. Bray bray, Cotch, and Keller, with Smith or someone else drafted to play the slot in a late round. Get Nnamdi on D, and focus on Defensive picks in the first and 3rd.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:58 AM    (permalink
AHungryWalrus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by msolimani View Post
Bwahahahahahahahahaha. I want to meet him.

"Why won't anyone say the Jets are going to get their asses kicked? Because they're going to! I guess people just want it to be close. It won't be."
Old 01-18-2011, 01:32 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHungryWalrus View Post
I would rather keep Bray than Tone. Better blocker, cheaper, wants to be here, bigger target for Sanchez.
I think I agree. When Braylon is catching the ball he is a special player. Holmes has played well for us but I do think it will be easier to find a replacement for him rather than Braylon.

Quote:
But would rather have Nnamdi than Tone and Cro.
Revis and Aso would be amazing. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Quote:
Our offense the first four games, other than Baltimore, was extremely productive.
Valid point. We actually took a step back the first few games with Holmes.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-19-2011, 12:23 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Braylon definitely has been huge at times and seems like he wants to be a Jet and can contribute in more facets...but it's tough for me to overlook the huge plays that Holmes has made at the end of games for this team. I also think his role as big bodied, possession oriented borderline #1/#2 wideout who can make some plays downfield is easier to replace than the speed Holmes brings to the table. I'm probably biased by the late game heroics and Braylon's drops, but those are a part of the equation, aren't they?

Revis and Aso would be awesome, I think Aso would be a big time upgrade over Cro, but whether or not it's worth doing depends on the difference in dollar amounts between the two of them. Harris is going to be interesting because I'm not sure how much of a priority position ILB is, but he's one of the best players on the defense. Great to have Revis, Brick, and Mangold locked up.

As for this game, I think the Steelers are a lot tougher to scheme against. I think stopping Mendenhall would be nice but isn't the major key. Probably the easiest thing to do to them offensively though. They have so much speed and athleticism at WR and Ben's so great at improvising and doing things when plays break down (which happens because he's so tough to bring down) that I wonder how much you can prepare to stop the passing game. I'd like to see Cro on Wallace again, and not a lot of zone looks which I think he'll absolutely tear up. Defensively they're obviously really, really good. Protecting Sanchez and giving him some confidence early with easy throws like last time will be keys. Running the football is definitely key, but that'll be tough too. After a few decent games so far offensively could be in for a really down game against the Steelers, hope it doesn't happen though. Wonder if they'll be riding too high after beating the Pats to really get up for this game. Then again I tend to be negative when it comes to the Jets.

Also, Tomlin had some nice comments about Rex. Said he really likes him and they operate similarly to the Jets, only don't talk as much to the media. One of my favorite HC's in the league, he seems like a really cool guy but a class act too, and obviously he does a good job there.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:40 AM    (permalink
AHungryWalrus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
I'm probably biased by the late game heroics and Braylon's drops, but those are a part of the equation, aren't they?
Bray Bray has less drops than Tone this year.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:32 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHungryWalrus View Post
Bray Bray has less drops than Tone this year.
Perhaps, but he's got more of a history of drops. Holmes was coming in pretty cold a few weeks into the season and it took him awhile to get acclimated...same thing happened to Edwards last year only I think he was worse with the drops. I just think Edwards is the easier player to replace based on his role in the offense. So much of it is going to depend on cost too...and I do think Holmes really likes being a Jet too. We'll see how it plays out, it'd be nice to keep both because if not I think they'll have to bring in another WR, and obviously losing both would be crippling.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:55 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The more i think about it the more i think it would be awesome to keep Holmes and Braylon. The chemistry they could develop with Sanchez over the years has the potential to be lethal. It would be great to get some continuity and familiarity going with this offense after having so many changes in Sanchez's first 2 years. Not to mention that they are both entering their primes. I also love how much they seem to enjoy being Jets and that could potentially help lead to a discount for us.

While Nnamdi would clearly be awesome, Cro has still had a good season and is 3 years younger. If he can stay motivated and healthy, I see no reason why he cant get even better in the coming years. Probably a little far-fetched, but its not unrealistic to think that Cro could be a top 3-5 CB in the future.

The bottom line IMO is that Holmes, Edwards and Cromartie are some of the most talented young players at their positions. Holding on to them and locking them up long-term would basically cement WR and CB for the next 5-7 years. I dont think that the opportunity to do something like that should be passed up

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:54 AM    (permalink
Flaming Mo
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Perhaps, but he's got more of a history of drops. Holmes was coming in pretty cold a few weeks into the season and it took him awhile to get acclimated...same thing happened to Edwards last year only I think he was worse with the drops. I just think Edwards is the easier player to replace based on his role in the offense. So much of it is going to depend on cost too...and I do think Holmes really likes being a Jet too. We'll see how it plays out, it'd be nice to keep both because if not I think they'll have to bring in another WR, and obviously losing both would be crippling.
I disagree that Braylon is easier to replace. You just wont find many players with his physical ability and talent. Take the play at the end of the Colts game for example. There are propably 5 guys in the entire league who can make that play as Sanchez throw was very high. Edwards numbers dont look spectacular (still very good) but in the end I think the Jets actually misused him for most of the year. He was mainly sent on go routes and deep patterns. But with his size and ability he can be dangerous in a lot more ways than this. Just take the first Pittsburgh game as an example.

Keeping both would be ideal but I think when it comes down to one, the FO will select Edwards. Just a gut feeling.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:11 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
I disagree that Braylon is easier to replace. You just wont find many players with his physical ability and talent. Take the play at the end of the Colts game for example. There are propably 5 guys in the entire league who can make that play as Sanchez throw was very high. Edwards numbers dont look spectacular (still very good) but in the end I think the Jets actually misused him for most of the year. He was mainly sent on go routes and deep patterns. But with his size and ability he can be dangerous in a lot more ways than this. Just take the first Pittsburgh game as an example.

Keeping both would be ideal but I think when it comes down to one, the FO will select Edwards. Just a gut feeling.
Note that I didn't say Braylon himself is easier to replace, but he's easier to replace based on his role in the offense. He's used as a big possession wideout for the most part who they take shots deep with the most part. That's easier to replace than what they have Holmes do stretching the field and making big plays. Obviously he's an incredibly special physical talent, but if they're going to continue to use him like they have he wouldn't be nearly as difficult to replace as if they used him to his full potential.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:17 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Rex and the Jets have been pretty quiet this week. For some reason it makes me a little nervous.

Oh and Brad Smith is expected to play.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-21-2011, 06:24 PM    (permalink
'cuse-213
Pro Bowler

'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUSf5...layer_embedded
Old 01-21-2011, 10:23 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post

Oh and Brad Smith is expected to play.
Brad Smith was a key piece in beating Pittsburgh last time. I really think it would be a huge loss if he didn't play this week.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:06 AM    (permalink
Flaming Mo
Rookie

Kind of a different with not much talking but that's fine. Anything different would have looked phony as the Steelers and Jets don't really have a rivalry with each other. We can be sure though that both teams will be looking for blood tomorrow.

I think our offense will be just fine. Not only have the Jets played the Steelers already but they are more than capable of playing and winning cold weather games as proved in recent weeks. One of the most interesting battles should be our offensive line against their outstanding run defense. The Jets will run, even if they dont have any success early on. No matter how good the Steelers are, you cant come out and throw it all over the field. Do what you got you to the AFCCG. When the Jets pass, then I'm sure we will see a similar approach like we had in the regular season meeting. Move the pocket, bootlegs, quick slants and short throws. Cotchery and Keller will have to play well in order to keep the chains moving. This is the week though that the Jets truly can attack outside the numbers. Pittsburgh's corners are average at best (especially anybody not named Ike Taylor) and Edwards and Holmes should have a lot of ooportunities. The occasional shot down the field could mean the difference between winning and losing. LT should see a lot of action as a receiver and we should see quite a few screens in order to counter their tremendous pass rush. Brick and Hunter will have their hands full but they did terrific in the regular season meeting. What also works in the Jets favor is that Polamalu looks far from healthy. Many pick the Steelers because of him playing this time but when he continues to make as many mistakes as he did against the Ravens, then I have no problem seeing him back there.

All week long we heard how the key for the Jets defense is to keep Roethlisberger in check. While true it is not the same like in recent weeks where Manning and Brady really brought a fierce aerial attack to the contest. Broken plays here, toughness there - if the Jets defense plays well and up to their talent, then I dont see the Steelers putting up a lot of points. I expect Pittsburgh rely heavily on the run early as their offensive line is struggling and they will look to impose their will on the Jets. Pouha, Ellis, DeVito and the rest of the guys have to match that physicality and be as stout as they have been all season long. Teams usually dont run well on the Jets but this is also the first time in these playoffs that they actually face a power run game. They have to keep Mendenhall inside at all costs. It's gonna be interesting how the Jets decide to cover the Steelers receivers. Revis on Ward and Cromartie on Wallace for most of the game seems likely but I could also see Rex mixing his coverages up like crazy, just as he did in recent weeks. What the Jets have to account for is some kind of trick play, some kind of wrinkle at any point in the game. The Steelers will try an end around, a flea flicker or some stuff with Randle El and in what figures to be a tight game, the Jets have to be ready for that.

Special teams to me is a huge plus for the Jets. Both kickers are very shaky (Suisham is only 3 of 7 in the postseason and we all saw Folk last week) but we have a much better return game and coverage units. After last week's real bad outing and Rex calling the special teams out, I'm sure Westhoff will have these guys ready to play.

The last two games the Jets played as well on defense as they have all season and Ryan's gameplans against Indy and NE have been spectacular. Pittsburgh won't present as many formations as the Jets recent opponent but they will come at them with more physical force and strength than any team this year. The Jets have to be ready for that. Mistakes and turnovers havent been a problem in recent weeks and if the Jets continue to play mistake free football, then they have an outstanding chance of winning this game. Pittsburgh will commit a few blunders with their makeshift OLine, ultra aggressive corners and just average execution. If Baltimore would have just taken care of the ball, then we would be talking about Flacco, Ray Lewis and Ed Reed right now. If, if, if... in the end it just comes down to who will be better prepared and who wants it a little more. In NE the Jets looked like a team of destiny, let's hope we see the same group at Heinz Field tomorrow!