Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 12-30-2010, 08:59 AM    (permalink
Halsey
All-Pro

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default The Falcons need to add a quality pass catcher BAD

I'm not sure what type of pass catcher would be the right fit, but the Falcons really really need to upgrade their WR corps, add a young TE or add a young RB who excels at pass catching. Maybe all three. The offense would obviously be in big trouble if Roddy got hurt. The Monday night game made it clear the Falcons just don't have enough playmakers in the passing game.

^What I just did to your argument
Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:30 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Been saying this for a while. We really just need someone with some explosive big play ability. Not a guy who we just run down the field and chuck bombs too, because that's not Matt's game, but someone who can make a big play for us when Roddy is getting raped with coverage.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:33 AM    (permalink
Halsey
All-Pro

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's too bad Norwood can't stay healthy. He would help the passing game at least a little

^What I just did to your argument
Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:37 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jernigan seems like he'd be a tremendous fit to me.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:48 PM    (permalink
Doubja94
Rookie

Doubja94 could make a wolverine purr.Doubja94 could make a wolverine purr.Doubja94 could make a wolverine purr.Doubja94 could make a wolverine purr.Doubja94 could make a wolverine purr.Doubja94 could make a wolverine purr.Doubja94 could make a wolverine purr.

If the falcons come out of the draft with either Jernigan or Szczur, I (and Matt Ryan) will be very happy
Doubja94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:42 AM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Random thoughts:

You guys have a coach that gets more out of his team than their talent level IMO, and a young GM that is pretty good at adding talent. That's a pretty dangerous combo.

I feel like you guys were ahead of schedule since Ryan came out so ready to play, and you needed a year or two with top 15 and better picks.

Looks like the Panthers have the only front office that isn't above average during draft day.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:33 PM    (permalink
StaticGator
Rookie

StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.

Not trying to flame, but you guys had a Pro Bowl WR and TE and an at least respectable #2 WR. The problem was at QB. Ryan was too afraid to throw it into coverage. He was too conservative and would only dump it off underneath. Green Bay's receivers had a great day, but they weren't running wide open on every play. Rodgers was just playing out of his mind and fitting the ball into microscopic windows. That TD that James Jones caught in the first half was within 6 inches of getting swatted away by Brent Grimes but he didn't get there. Ryan wasn't trying to make throws like that. No risk, no reward.
StaticGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:22 PM    (permalink
Draft King
All-Pro

Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticGator View Post
Not trying to flame, but you guys had a Pro Bowl WR and TE and an at least respectable #2 WR. The problem was at QB. Ryan was too afraid to throw it into coverage. He was too conservative and would only dump it off underneath. Green Bay's receivers had a great day, but they weren't running wide open on every play. Rodgers was just playing out of his mind and fitting the ball into microscopic windows. That TD that James Jones caught in the first half was within 6 inches of getting swatted away by Brent Grimes but he didn't get there. Ryan wasn't trying to make throws like that. No risk, no reward.
The pro bowl is a popularity contest. If you honestly believe Tony Gonzalez played at a high level this season, you weren't watching the games. Michael Jenkins is not respectable, he would not start on 90% of NFL teams.
Draft King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:27 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:

I was going to guess that you just watched the playoff game and are making all your assumptions based on that, but I'm not sure how you could even come away from that game calling Jenkins respectable.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:47 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubja94 View Post
If the falcons come out of the draft with either Jernigan or Szczur, I (and Matt Ryan) will be very happy
12 minutes after you make your post:

This happens

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=3060

Coincidence?

**** that sucks. I think he has the academic qualifications and compared to Wes Welker who plays for the pats, TD would be all over him.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:26 PM    (permalink
Doubja94
Rookie

Doubja94 could make a wolverine purr.Doubja94 could make a wolverine purr.Doubja94 could make a wolverine purr.Doubja94 could make a wolverine purr.Doubja94 could make a wolverine purr.Doubja94 could make a wolverine purr.Doubja94 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosanac01 View Post
12 minutes after you make your post:

This happens

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=3060

Coincidence?

**** that sucks. I think he has the academic qualifications and compared to Wes Welker who plays for the pats, TD would be all over him.
If by 12 minutes you mean 20 days than yea.... Haha but yea it sucks, we need Jernigan or Torrey smith. Given TD's latest interview how would you guys feel about trading up to the teens to pick up Julio Jones
Doubja94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:22 AM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If by 12 minutes you mean 20 days than yea.... Haha but yea it sucks, we need Jernigan or Torrey smith. Given TD's latest interview how would you guys feel about trading up to the teens to pick up Julio Jones
There is no way we trade up in this draft, imo. If we do it would be for an "explosive" defensive player or an OT given we don't sign Clabo but not a #2 WR.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 01-19-2011, 06:22 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
I'd be on board for a move up. I'm not sure who I'd like, but this is a week draft. So if there's a difference maker in the teens, by all means, pull the trigger.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:10 AM    (permalink
StaticGator
Rookie

StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
I was going to guess that you just watched the playoff game and are making all your assumptions based on that, but I'm not sure how you could even come away from that game calling Jenkins respectable.
I live about 4 miles from the Georgia Dome. I watch Falcons games. And I didn't say he was dominant; I said he was respectable. When you're #5 overall in team rushing attempts and you have a #1 WR who catches 1400 yards and a TE who catches 700 yards, how many plays do you think are left for your #2 WR? The Falcons didn't lose because of Michael Jenkins. Ryan was gun shy.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:05 AM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

TD bring Vincent Jackson to atlanta!!

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.
SimonRath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:16 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
I live about 4 miles from the Georgia Dome. I watch Falcons games. And I didn't say he was dominant; I said he was respectable. When you're #5 overall in team rushing attempts and you have a #1 WR who catches 1400 yards and a TE who catches 700 yards, how many plays do you think are left for your #2 WR? The Falcons didn't lose because of Michael Jenkins. Ryan was gun shy.

I'd like my number 2 not to be awful. And ever stop to think that maybe Roddy got all those catches in a balanced offense because the rest of the talent sucks?

No one is saying Michael Jenkins is the reason we lost the game, or that Matt played well. But to say he's gun shy because he didn't play as well as ARod (who had the game of his life) or some **** like that is silly.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:22 PM    (permalink
StaticGator
Rookie

Quote:
But to say he's gun shy because he didn't play as well as ARod (who had the game of his life) or some **** like that is silly.
I don't know how else to describe a quarterback throwing 29 passes and only completing one of them for longer than 20 yards, ironically to Michael Jenkins. It's not just that Rodgers played well, it's that he played aggressively. He was willing to push things and Ryan wasn't.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:25 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
I don't know how else to describe a quarterback throwing 29 passes and only completing one of them for longer than 20 yards, ironically to Michael Jenkins. It's not just that Rodgers played well, it's that he played aggressively. He was willing to push things and Ryan wasn't.

Gun shy would imply that he's just a check down artist.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:29 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
A Rod wasn't really pushing things. He rarely through into tight coverage or risked much, most of his passes were to wide open targets. Matt Ryan didn't have that, and he also doesn't have the ability to avoid a sack other then throwing it away.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 01-19-2011, 01:36 PM    (permalink
StaticGator
Rookie

Quote:
Gun shy would imply that he's just a check down artist.
How else do you describe having one pass go for longer than 20 yards?
Old 01-19-2011, 01:59 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
How else do you describe having one pass go for longer than 20 yards?
It was mostly Matt Ryan being afraid to let it loose. But at the same time it was the defense. They had a huge lead and protected themselves from the deep ball.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 01-19-2011, 02:24 PM    (permalink
StaticGator
Rookie

Weren't the Falcons last in the league in plays over 20 yards for the whole season?
Old 01-19-2011, 02:41 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Weren't the Falcons last in the league in plays over 20 yards for the whole season?
Yes, but it was because that is what the offense as tailored for. You can't have an offense that ranks in the top 5 in time of possession and 3rd down conversions while having an explosive offense as well. We played a possession game throughout the whole season so the defense wouldn't get on the field; the Falcons defense ranked 16th in terms of yards given up but played the 4th fewest plays. Only 5 teams allowed more yards per play (Cowboys, Texans, Redskins, Broncos, and Jags). Great company.

Our defense is making improvements, but we still need more time to add talent.

On the offensive side of the ball, we have quality pass catchers/route runners in Tony Gonzalez and Michael Jenkins, but there is absolutely no stretching of the field. In today's NFL, you need to have quick receivers that can actually get open instead of hoping for a picture perfect throw, perfect route execution, or a hole in the zone - that is the problem with Jenkins and Gonzalez. Also, having an H-Back like McCoy or Chris Johnson would allow the defense to be a lot more honest.

A lot of the problem does lie with Matt Ryan though. Year in, year out, we expect his deep balls to get better but they never do. He still leaves a ton of air under them and we can't even take shots just to keep defenses honest (some of it is offensive philosophy). I guess we have to wait it out.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:15 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

I think he throws a deep jump ball fine. We just can't expect him to drop bombs like some of the stronger armed QBs. He's money in the mid range game. We need someone he can hit short/mid then can go make a play. Ala Percy Harvin.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:47 PM    (permalink
Draft King
All-Pro

Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You're just trolling right now. Read deangelos post. This is why I wish we got Josh McDaniels, so Ryan could shut people like you up. This is just the way our offense is built.

edit: just went through some of his posts and discovered he is a Bucs fan. everyone is now explained.
Draft King is offline   Reply With Quote