Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 01-18-2011, 05:33 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/spor...ordinator.html

Quote:
Greg Mattison accepted the defensive coordinator job at the University of Michigan and the Ravens promoted secondary coach Chuck Pagano to replace him as defensive coordinator, the team announced Tuesday.

In two seasons with Mattison as defensive coordinator, the Ravens finished in the top 10 in the NFL.

Continued...
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:46 PM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So does that mean we're running a 3-4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!
ironman4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:06 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman4579 View Post
Nope, 2-2-7. Because DBs are your strongest position on D and the 3-3-5 just didn't utilize enough of them...

:)

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:08 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After seeing Mattison rush three and give up 58 yards to a rookie sixth-rounder on 3rd and 19 in the biggest game of the year, I can tell he's going to fit right in at Michigan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
Nope, 2-2-7. Because DBs are your strongest position on D and the 3-3-5 just didn't utilize enough of them...

:)
1-10. It's a revolution. Mike Martin as the only DL.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:10 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

UM Press Release Time!

Quote:
Hoke Announces Seven Staff Appointments

ANN ARBOR – University of Michigan head coach Brady Hoke announced today (Tuesday, Jan. 18) the hiring of seven staff members to his Wolverine coaching and support staff. Hoke named six of the nine assistant coaching positions and the appointment of his strength and conditioning coach.

Six members of the San Diego State staff joined Hoke in Ann Arbor. Al Borges will coordinate the offense and work with the quarterbacks, Dan Ferrigno will coordinate the special teams and coach the tight ends, Darrell Funk will coach the offensive line, Jeff Hecklinski mentors the wide receivers and Mark Smith has been appointed linebackers coach. Aaron Wellman also joined the Wolverines’ staff as the strength and conditioning coach.

Hoke rehired long time Michigan running backs coach Fred Jackson to the same position on the staff. Jackson will begin his 20th season as a member of the Wolverine coaching staff in 2011.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:25 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
After seeing Mattison rush three and give up 58 yards to a rookie sixth-rounder on 3rd and 19 in the biggest game of the year, I can tell he's going to fit right in at Michigan.

1-10. It's a revolution. Mike Martin as the only DL.
Funny thing is even then, the secondary would still be Michigan's biggest liability on defense...

Also, WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO we get to keep Soup!!!!

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:32 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Apparently, it's a...wait for it...wait for it...4-3. Maybe even a 4-3 that doesn't see them line up in a 3-3-5 and slide 250-pound Craig Roh to DT pre-snap.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:38 AM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Apparently, it's a...wait for it...wait for it...4-3. Maybe even a 4-3 that doesn't see them line up in a 3-3-5 and slide 250-pound Craig Roh to DT pre-snap.
That doesn't make sense. Roh must BEASTZ from the INSIDZ!!1!11

Seriously though, I read it was going to be a 4-3 a little while after I asked the question. I suppose I should have just looked at some of the youtubez of the '95 and '96 defenses to see what might be happening. Can I get a Roh/Van Bergen/Martin/Any of the 300+ lbs guys D Line? I think I can, and it pleases mighty Odin.

Quote:

Old 01-19-2011, 07:56 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

It's weird, though. Hoke is letting his defensive coordinator run the defense that he (Mattison) wants. That's stupid. Everyone knows that you should force a crappy defense that you're not well-suited for on your DC who knows another scheme.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:13 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It's weird, though. Hoke is letting his defensive coordinator run the defense that he (Mattison) wants. That's stupid. Everyone knows that you should force a crappy defense that you're not well-suited for on your DC who knows another scheme.
You Michigan guys have no idea what to do with yourselves, do you?

You finally have a respectable coaching staff. Congrats. Maybe some day you will recruit some respectable players.... Starting off with 10 incoming freshman is going to make that tough.

Ball busting aside, I really do like that staff Hoke has put together. There is hope for you guys.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:18 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
You Michigan guys have no idea what to do with yourselves, do you?
I'm definitely a little confused, that's for sure. Hoke just offered two Tennessee DL commits. While both said they'll stick with Tennessee, it's nice to get after some DL and LBs. Hoke also told Devin Lucien that he would offer him as a DB instead of a WR. While Lucien basically told him to **** off, it's nice to see an emphasis on defense.

Quote:
You finally have a respectable coaching staff. Congrats.
It's an odd feeling, though I'll miss Greg Frey as the OL coach.

Quote:
Maybe some day you will recruit some respectable players.... Starting off with 10 incoming freshman is going to make that tough.
Yeah, for sure. I hope they keep Fisher and Countess. It is a defensive-heavy class, though, which is good.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:44 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm definitely a little confused, that's for sure. Hoke just offered two Tennessee DL commits. While both said they'll stick with Tennessee, it's nice to get after some DL and LBs. Hoke also told Devin Lucien that he would offer him as a DB instead of a WR. While Lucien basically told him to **** off, it's nice to see an emphasis on defense.

It's an odd feeling, though I'll miss Greg Frey as the OL coach.

Yeah, for sure. I hope they keep Fisher and Countess. It is a defensive-heavy class, though, which is good.
Yeah, it's tough to keep recruits when you have Brandon delaying the hire like that. Oh well, it's a sacrificed recruiting year, one that you will probably make up for in spades next season after Hoke is established.

I still can't get over your DC. I am not happy about that. He will bring some thumpers in to play, that is for sure. None of those tiny/fast RichRod recruits.

Mattison is one hell of a coach. Hoke is doing and saying the right things.

That's enough complimenting UM for me for this year.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:18 PM    (permalink
Marino13
Veteran

Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That doesn't make sense. Roh must BEASTZ from the INSIDZ!!1!11

Seriously though, I read it was going to be a 4-3 a little while after I asked the question. I suppose I should have just looked at some of the youtubez of the '95 and '96 defenses to see what might be happening. Can I get a Roh/Van Bergen/Martin/Any of the 300+ lbs guys D Line? I think I can, and it pleases mighty Odin.
from what I've read the initial word is that the first look will be Roh-RVD-Martin-Black as the DL but will give guys like BWC(who got moved back to DT), Quinton Washington, and Richard Ash a chance to win the DT spot and keep RVB at DE.

Also like what Al Borges has said about the players we have. Said he likes the players they have, but they are going to use the Spring to find the right combination, and they will use practice AND game situations to determine the starters. That means Borges and Hoke won't want till mid season to put guys like Patrick Omameh and Taylor Lewan on the OL over the Mark Hurges and Perry Dorrenstiens of the world.

I also highly doubt Mattision will wait to November to put guys like Kenny Demens and JB Fitzgerald in the starting line up over guys like Obi Ezeh and Cam Gordon.

While the staff isn't going to be the all star staff some people thought (though Borges and Mattison are impressive coordinator coups) the staff is filled with guys who get what they need to do to win.
Marino13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:27 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Reports are that DT Jewhan Edwards has left the Gophers. He was a decent starter last year, and has some pro potential, but only one year of eligibility left.

His reason appears to be that someone on the team "snitched" him out and he got in trouble for tweeting about it.

God I hate modern culture....

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:32 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

http://www.cleveland.com/buckeyeblog...ar_backup.html

Quote:
COLUMBUS - Ohio State confirmed today that backup offensive lineman Sam Longo requested and has been granted a release from his scholarship by the Buckeyes.

The second-year lineman from Bellbrook High School, near Dayton, redshirted his first season in Columbus in 2009, then played in just one game in 2010, against Eastern Michigan. He was behind three other linemen in his class, Corey Linsley, Jack Mewhort and Marcus Hall, on the depth chart.

Continued...
Old 01-20-2011, 11:44 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Proof that oversigning OSU is clearing room for Clowney.

[/sarcasm]

But seriously, that guy never even sniffed playing time. I'm sure he wants an opportunity to just play somewhere. He was brought in as a project, and obviously it didn't pan out. Good luck to him.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:12 AM    (permalink
bigbenn
Veteran

bigbenn is so money.bigbenn is so money.bigbenn is so money.bigbenn is so money.bigbenn is so money.bigbenn is so money.bigbenn is so money.bigbenn is so money.bigbenn is so money.bigbenn is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansaint View Post
hoping beyond hope that LeShoure, Luiget, or Wilson stick around for their Senior season (really hoping all 3 do but that's fantasy land).

Illinois will always be a "middle of the pack"...so all we really want are bowl games and signs of improvement. Illinois is never gonna compete for the Big 10 title (we may get lucky here or there but it'll never be consistent)...so as long as we can get some good recruits in here and be competitive...that's all any Illini fan can realistically hope for.

Hoping for a 9-3 or 8-4 season
They'll be missed but what? Speak for yourself on all your other views. I don't know what type of Illini fans you're talking about.
bigbenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:40 AM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have friends that went to high school with him, and they say he's going to Cincy.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:05 PM    (permalink
Marino13
Veteran

Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sniper this quote from Greg Mattison is going to make you faint...

"You can drop all the great x's and o's you want, but if they don't fit the players that are there at that point it isn't going to work"
Marino13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:45 PM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marino13 View Post
Sniper this quote from Greg Mattison is going to make you faint...

"You can drop all the great x's and o's you want, but if they don't fit the players that are there at that point it isn't going to work"

Quote:

Old 01-21-2011, 11:13 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gophers safety Kim Royston is granted the elusive 6th year of eligibility. This, along with the fact that he transferred from Wisconsin, should make him about 35 years old.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:33 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/...-msu-down-line

Quote:
Reserve quarterback Joe Boisture is leaving Michigan State's program.

"It is in my best interest that I have decided to leave the Michigan State football program," Boisture said in a statement released to Rivals.com. "I love the university, my teammates, the medical staff and most of all Coach Dantonio. Coach D truly cares about me and all of his players off the field as well as on the field. I have the utmost respect for him as a coach and person and wish him and the Spartans nothing but success."

Boisture originally committed to Boston College before switching to Michigan State, where he enrolled early and redshirted in 2010.

His exit leaves the Spartans with two quarterback options for 2012: Maxwell and heralded incoming freshman Connor Cook. Cook is the lone quarterback committed for the 2011 class, but expect Michigan State to sign at least one signal-caller in 2012.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:49 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Default Ummmm Wow

12 Iowa FB players admitted to hospital due to workouts.

Quote:
Some Iowa players noted on their Facebook pages in recent days that the workouts included “100 squats and pushing a sled 100 yards” and that those drills had given them leg problems. The Cedar Rapids Gazette reported the players were treated for exertional rhabdomyolysis, an acute breakdown of the kidneys.
If this is true, some meathead strength coach needs to be fired.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:00 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

When I played in high school we regularly pushed the sled more than 100 yards. And the 100 squats isn't that bad assuming it was in multiple sets with proper weight (although it doesn't seem too effective).
Old 01-26-2011, 08:07 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
When I played in high school we regularly pushed the sled more than 100 yards. And the 100 squats isn't that bad assuming it was in multiple sets with proper weight (although it doesn't seem too effective).
It was supposedly their weight. That is stupid to do to kids that aren't that strong. Obviously a lot of kids were able to do it. But that is a pretty extreme workout. Especially for a 300 lb person.