Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 01-23-2011, 09:29 PM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
Looking at it, I think we are going to be adding at least one big piece via FA. We aren't going to lock up Dahl and Blalock both unless they come cheap. We'll resign Clabo, then one of those two guards. After that, we've got a ton of room and if we are looking for "explosive players" especially at DE and WR (what the two interviews indicated) then there is some serious talent available.

WR:
Vincent Jackson
Sidney Rice
Santonio Holmes
Braylon Edwards
Malcolm Floyd
Steve Smith (NYG)
James Jones
Steve Breaston

DE:
Charles Johnson
Mattias Kiwianuka
Ray Edwards
Richard Seymour (is a Pro Bowler in the Jamaal Anderson role with OAK)
Lamarr Woodley
Tamba Hali

Obviously some, if not the majority will be resigned. However, we are definitely going to have opportunities to add impact players.
you can take Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards and Richard Seymour off the possible new Falcons list in my opinion.

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.
SimonRath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:33 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonRath View Post
you can take Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards and Richard Seymour off the possible new Falcons list in my opinion.
There's definitely some character issues with a few of them. It'll be interesting to see if we give are willing to give a little bend on that.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:29 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Woodley and Hali aren't going anywhere.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:46 PM    (permalink
Draft King
All-Pro

Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would love Sidney Rice but no way Minny lets him walk. I'd say Vincent Jackson or Mathias Kiwanuka are realistic options.
Draft King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:08 AM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
Only two guys that are "explosive", though they play standing up.

Sig by: OSUGiants

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:45 AM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Brent Grimes is going to the pro bowl. That's ******* awesome. I think it was the sig.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 01-24-2011, 11:34 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
Yeah, those two and Sidney Rice are pretty much locks to stay I'd assume.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:38 PM    (permalink
the_dark_knight
Veteran

the_dark_knight hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Charles Johnson, no idea why we didn't draft the guy, but it's time to make that right, steal him from Carolina and solve one of our DE spots, Abe is running out of years, he needs help, please make that happen.

None of those WRs outside of Holmes strike me as the explosive player we're looking for. Possibly James Jones, but I really think he's more a product of playing behind Jennings and Driver, than he is a playmaker of his own right. I wouldn't go throwing Peerless Price money at him that's for sure.

I remember hearing that TD said he'd be willing to trade up into the middle of the draft, if Julio Jones is there within reach of us trading up, that's my target. I never understood why we were content with just the guys we had on the roster at WR this year. I know we lost our new B-Finn in pre-season but he's not the missing piece, that's for sure. So if Julio slips, please, I beg you to trade up and give Matt what he needs to be a huge success.
the_dark_knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:37 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

I really don't want to blow our load on Charles Johnson. Solid player who puts up a big year on a crappy team in a contract year? Meh.

And most of those receivers fit the explosive profile. All except Malcolm Floyd and maybe Steve Smith since he's more of just a catch machine.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:16 PM    (permalink
Draft King
All-Pro

Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dark_knight View Post
Charles Johnson, no idea why we didn't draft the guy, but it's time to make that right, steal him from Carolina and solve one of our DE spots, Abe is running out of years, he needs help, please make that happen.

None of those WRs outside of Holmes strike me as the explosive player we're looking for. Possibly James Jones, but I really think he's more a product of playing behind Jennings and Driver, than he is a playmaker of his own right. I wouldn't go throwing Peerless Price money at him that's for sure.

I remember hearing that TD said he'd be willing to trade up into the middle of the draft, if Julio Jones is there within reach of us trading up, that's my target. I never understood why we were content with just the guys we had on the roster at WR this year. I know we lost our new B-Finn in pre-season but he's not the missing piece, that's for sure. So if Julio slips, please, I beg you to trade up and give Matt what he needs to be a huge success.
I would absolutely love Julio Jones, but he seems like a pipe-dream.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:52 AM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No way were gonan be able to get Julio, he will be 2nd WR taken and AJ will go top 3 so, that a long way to climb if we want him for sure
Old 01-25-2011, 07:22 AM    (permalink
the_dark_knight
Veteran

the_dark_knight hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunagan15 View Post
No way were gonan be able to get Julio, he will be 2nd WR taken and AJ will go top 3 so, that a long way to climb if we want him for sure
This is what people said about Dez last year too. But you're prolly right.

I like our front office, but we whiffed on Dez Bryant for Sean Weatherspoon. I think Spoon can be good, but there were a lot of other linebackers on the board that could have made impact in later rounds, Dez Bryant was the cream of the crop. I just don't see how we passed on a top 5 talent.

Sorry just venting there a bit. Btw, when I think of an explosive WR, none of those guys jump off the page, except the ones I mentioned. When I say explosive I'm thinking Desean Jackson style, that's what I think for explosive.
the_dark_knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:13 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Unless Kerrigan or one of the other top ends drop, I think we go offense in round one. I really like this defensive tackle class (Pea, Nevis, Liuget would all be great additions to the team IMO), but I can't see us taking a tackle with our top pick.

As for the 'playmaker' we need on offense, there are a few players I like.

At RB, I can't see us taking one too high (although I would love to add Ryan Williams). But Shane Vareen and Taiwan Jones (7.7 YPC!) are some guys I wouldn't mind in round two or three.

As for WR, Torrey Smith is a guy I could see us making a slight reach for in round one. He has speed.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:25 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

I'm a big Ryan Williams fan myself.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:04 PM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

Major word-drop coming...
Old 01-25-2011, 02:04 PM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

My thoughts, position by position, in order of importance, followed by a quick mock offseason. It's early, but it's out there. A penny for your thoughts...

DE

I like Bailey, but for DE I'm more looking at a pure, explosive, speed-demon QB destroyer, not a tweener/LE like Bailey or Jordan. Aldon Smith would be great, so would Justin Houston, Von Miller (if he gets anywhere near there), Robert Quinn (in dream mode, he falls due to his missed year and we jump up), or even Akeem Ayers. Kiwi is the only FA who would fill the void, and I'm not sure I like his injury situation.

WR

I do like Jernigan and Titus very much, but I think DE is a much bigger 1st round need than WR. I think Breaston would be perfect, and I can see the possibility: clearly AZ cannot afford to franchise him, and why would he prefer to play with Max Hall rather than Matt Ryan? We could also pick up an explosive but undersized talent in the 2nd or 3rd. White, Jenkins, Breaston, and an improved, stronger-knee'd Douglas (plus Weems) could be like the Packers 4/5 WR set.

OL

If the right DE isn't there, I could see Carimi (or A.N.Other) at LT. Gaither is great in theory, but a guy with a dodgy work ethic on a huge contract is ill-omened. I'd keep Clabo and one of our OG's and replace the other with Johnson. Baker maybe deserves one more year to be more consistent/healthy, but there's no harm in drafting someone to push him/replace him next year.

RB

I don't see us keeping Norwood; that injury may well deprive him of much of his speed next year. We should definitely be looking for an explosive, undersized guy. Lots of those guys around as always. I'd be fine with a Todman, Locke, Rodgers, or Devine (maybe TD takes a character gamble for once) in the 3rd or 4th. Maybe even Ryan Williams in the 2nd or 3rd, although he has a slightly different profile.

CB

I think we're fine with Grimes and Dunta, but we clearly have a need at NB and DB. Williams is past his sell-by date, and neither Owens nor Franks can be relied on (I have higher hopes of Franks than Owens, who looked lost...). I'm not sure how much we can do with rookies, so maybe a mid range free agent would work, but a 1st rounder on a CB cannot be excluded as a wild card.

TE

I think we'll stick with Gonzo, Peele, and Palmer, I don't see us doing anything at TE this year. Could well be a 1st rounder or significant free agent next year. As long as we have an explosive slot man, that's fine by me. Quite like Kendricks as a Peele-replacement if he's available in the 3rd or 4th.

LB

I like Nicholas-Lofton-Spoon, with Peterson as a versatile backup and mentor. That said, if we got a guy like Ayers or Miller, I'd see them as being Orakpo: LOLB on 1st and 2nd, DE on 3rd.

DT

I think we're set here: Babs is great, Jerry should be better another year after his injury (yes, I know, know, excuses, but it's been proven time and again...), and Peters, Anderson, and Walker round the group out nicely. Good depth, albeit no real star (yet) to match Babs. I thought our outside pressure was a bigger problem than inside pressure this year.

S

Next year will be Willy Mo's break out, mark it down. DeCoud is good. We'll draft a S late for depth and ST, but that's it.

ST

Set at K, P, KR, and PR

FB

Ovie. Nuff said.

QB

Draft guy with strong arm. Kidding. Sort of. Ryan's not perfect, but he's still going to keep us winning for a long time, so we should be glad and grateful that we have him.

SO, MOCK OFFSEASON...

Resign Clabo, Blalock. Bid farewell to Dahl and Norwood. Sign Breaston and mid-range veteran CB.

Draft:
1. Akeem Ayers: as explained, LOLB on 1st and 2nd, pass-rusher extraordinaire on 3rd down. Orakpo II. Backup: Justin Houston.

2. DeMarcus Love: potential to push Baker at LT, could also play RT or G. Fills all the TD boxes. I see him as a mid 2nd, and I can see TD moving up a bit with a 4th rounder (I lose track a bit, maybe we even have an extra mid-round pick this year).

3. Noel Devine - come on TD, you can do it. Look past the character issues and see the incredible explosiveness. We have enough strong characters on offence to keep him in line, and maybe we need a little edge too.

Rest of draft - usual mix of CB, S, LB for ST/depth/development.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:23 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don't even think we'll consider drafting Devine. Just forget he exists.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 01-25-2011, 02:38 PM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosanac01 View Post
Don't even think we'll consider drafting Devine. Just forget he exists.
As a senior in HS going into WVU he had 3 kids w/ 3 different women...dont think hes our type of guy lol

PS: This is also why UF and may other pulled their offer to him, You really think he wanted to go to West Virginia???
Old 01-25-2011, 02:41 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

We resigned Robert James. I guess he's doing something right to stay on an NFL team even though this is his 4th year and he played 0 games so far. Hopefully he can make an impact on special teams, otherwise we should just cut him.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 01-25-2011, 02:45 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunagan15 View Post
As a senior in HS going into WVU he had 3 kids w/ 3 different women...dont think hes our type of guy lol

PS: This is also why UF and may other pulled their offer to him, You really think he wanted to go to West Virginia???
All you have to do is look at his picture.

Do you guys really want this man on our roster? He's a complete thug and just won't mesh with guys like Matt Ryan and Tony G. He will ruin TD's reputation.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 01-25-2011, 03:23 PM    (permalink
Draft King
All-Pro

Quote:
All you have to do is look at his picture.

Do you guys really want this man on our roster? He's a complete thug and just won't mesh with guys like Matt Ryan and Tony G. He will ruin TD's reputation.
His appearance may put you off, but Devine was actually one of the hardest workers on the West Virginia team during the offseason, always in the gym and trying to improve. His talent and explosiveness also speaks for itself. I still don't think T.D takes him, but a man could dream.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:26 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

I don't see as a fan why you would want him.

Yes he's always in the gym, but that doesn't say anything. He just loved to work out, and as a freshman in high school he bench pressed over 3 plates (315) coming in at like 150 pounds.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 01-25-2011, 09:07 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Yeah, Noel isn't happening. And that pick got a lot less interesting when he weighs 160. That's KR/PR only weight and we are set there.

The good news is, there's a good chance for us to pick up a number 2 back that will bring some explosive ability. Murray, Williams, Hunter, Locke, Jones, Vereen, Rodgers. We'll pick up one. Hopefully.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:13 PM    (permalink
Draft King
All-Pro

Quote:
I don't see as a fan why you would want him.

Yes he's always in the gym, but that doesn't say anything. He just loved to work out, and as a freshman in high school he bench pressed over 3 plates (315) coming in at like 150 pounds.
I know we aren't getting him, but I will root for this guy wherever he goes. I've been a big fan since I saw his tape like 5 years ago. Some players are just ballers, he'll find a way to make plays somewhere else. I still think a guy like Jacquizz Rodgers would be nice.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:18 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

DeMarco has a good deal of concerns, but I really like him. He's an awesome receiver and would replace what we lost with Snelling as the #2 while adding speed.