Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > St. Louis Rams Team Forum

St. Louis Rams Team Forum Discuss the Rams

Old 01-26-2011, 03:10 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I forgot about Atogwe's situation, I'm 90% sure he won't be a Ram by the end of next month. 11.5 million is a lot to pay a highly rated safety and Atogwe isn't even top 10 in the NFL, in my opinion.

What do you guys think the Rams do in this situation? Not really any impressive free safeties in free agency or in the draft unless you count Eric Weddle, who I would be very surprised if he leaves the Chargers. Maybe the Rams will sign a starting caliber corner back and just move Bradley Fletcher to the safety position.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:21 AM    (permalink
Beano
Rookie

Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd personally like us to try and rework his contract, if it's at all possible, I'm not up to date on the intricacy's of the CBA problem. Iirc, Atogwe mentioned in an interview on the Rams website that he'd be willing to talk to sort any problems and stay. I think he's a good influence on the team and still a pretty decent player.

I agree with you about the FS in FA/Draft. If we were to move Fletcher, I agree we would need to grab another starting CB, but I think this year is a pretty decent year to want a CB, via either draft or FA. Even if it were only a short term solution like Champ Bailey, I think it could work out well enough.
Beano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:53 AM    (permalink
tfry
Rookie

tfry hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PossumBoy9 View Post
A stable full? The lack of talent in the WR corps is a major issue, IMO.
You don't think we have young receivers?!?! And I think they're all pretty talented. Elite talent?...NO! But there are certainly some quality players there for the future.
tfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:39 AM    (permalink
Joecool
Rookie

Joecool Joecool Joecool Joecool Joecool Joecool Joecool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfry View Post
You don't think we have young receivers?!?! And I think they're all pretty talented. Elite talent?...NO! But there are certainly some quality players there for the future.
The only guy i like is clayton. He is the only one that made any big plays. But no everyone else should be cut.
Joecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:23 PM    (permalink
PossumBoy9
Rookie

PossumBoy9 is a cocksman.PossumBoy9 is a cocksman.PossumBoy9 is a cocksman.PossumBoy9 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfry View Post
I think you're throwing the words "talent" and "quality" around pretty liberally. Let's be real, some of these guys don't make other teams.
PossumBoy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:00 PM    (permalink
Joecool
Rookie

Joecool Joecool Joecool Joecool Joecool Joecool Joecool

Quote:
I think you're throwing the words "talent" and "quality" around pretty liberally. Let's be real, some of these guys don't make other teams.
Yeah i agree i think bradford made thos guys looks a lot better then they really are. Thats the sign of a great qb look at manning making blair white looking pretty good. Bradford did the same. But in the first games clayton was making plays. Clayton is pretty good. I would love to see hankerson and demarco murray go to the rams. Murray could make a great wide out.
Joecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:30 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That was a very different time. The overall speed of the game has excellerated exponentially, as has the size and strength of the defensive players. Back when those Cowboys teams were dominant in the running game they had one of the first offensive lines that averaged 300 pounds. Aside from that, they had an excellent receiving tandem in Irvin and Harper that kept defenses honest, as well as one of the league's top TE's in Novacek. Without all that talent around him Emmitt Smith would have been very average, just like every other back that is the only weapon on his team. It is extremely rare that a back comes along like Eric Dickerson or Earl Campbell that can consistently destroy defenses without the threat of a passing game.
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:30 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Julio Jones in 1st round

Virtually every mock I have seen has the Rams taking WR Julio Jones in the 1st round. I have to admit I don't know much about him, but when I think of wide receivers I don't really think of Alabama. Any thoughts on this guy?
Old 01-30-2011, 11:42 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisfan37 View Post
Virtually every mock I have seen has the Rams taking WR Julio Jones in the 1st round. I have to admit I don't know much about him, but when I think of wide receivers I don't really think of Alabama. Any thoughts on this guy?
Big Physical Receiver, very good at getting yards after the catch, needs to improve his route running and his hands.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:22 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

The hands thing is what makes me leery. A lot of guys come out of college with questionable hands and have a really difficult time becoming a player at the next level. It's probably the main reason why guys with average athletic ability make a team...because the guy who is far superior athletically drops the rock all the time.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:09 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beano View Post
I'd personally like us to try and rework his contract, if it's at all possible
Agreed, let's not create another hole where there doesn't have to be one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joecool View Post
The only guy i like is clayton. He is the only one that made any big plays. But no everyone else should be cut.
Danny Amendola might have something to say about that. Maybe not a lot of big plays, but pretty dependable as a slot receiver.

Quote:
Agreed, and in fact, that's the reason we got them. In Clayton, Robinson, and Gibson's case, we got them via trade from teams that were willing to part with them. In Alexander's case, no one else really even sniffed him besides the Rams. Amendola was a practice squad player. Our receiving unit is like the Island of Misfit Toys.

Quote:
Arguably the most physically gifted receiver in the draft. Great size, good body control, outstanding leaping ability, shows good toughness and can go over the middle of the field, strong and contributes in run blocking. On the flip side, might not have great speed, and has a tendency to drop some balls. Can make an outstanding catch one play, and drop an easy one the next. The numbers he put up this year are rather impressive when you consider how run-oriented that offense is with Ingram and Richardson as well as Jones not really having an elite QB throwing the ball to him.

Last edited by NGSeiler : 02-01-2011 at 10:16 AM.
NGSeiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:20 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

I look at this draft, which is very deep in receivers, but really only has one true stud in my book...that is AJ Green from Georgia. I'm not saying that there aren't a lot of other guys that will become impact players; I just think that if we go with a receiver in the 1st round he better be a game changer. The one thing that I have the hardest time with in a WR is the guy who drops the easy ball.

It kind of goes into a philosophical category for me. I don't like offensive linemen who lack the nasty streak, defensive linemen who take plays off, running backs who have problems with fumbling, or defensive backs that gamble too much. While we can all point to a player who has fixed such weaknesses, more times than not these types of problems stay with the player.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:42 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I look at this draft, which is very deep in receivers, but really only has one true stud in my book...that is AJ Green from Georgia. I'm not saying that there aren't a lot of other guys that will become impact players; I just think that if we go with a receiver in the 1st round he better be a game changer. The one thing that I have the hardest time with in a WR is the guy who drops the easy ball.

It kind of goes into a philosophical category for me. I don't like offensive linemen who lack the nasty streak, defensive linemen who take plays off, running backs who have problems with fumbling, or defensive backs that gamble too much. While we can all point to a player who has fixed such weaknesses, more times than not these types of problems stay with the player.
The problem as I see it is the further down the pecking order you go with receivers, the more issues start creeping up and the less likely you are to find that #1 guy. You might get someone who is more sure-handed later on in the draft, but it's very possible they're not going to bring the other tools that someone like Jones has. If all you're getting at that point is a situational possession receiver, well, the Rams probably have enough of those.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:49 PM    (permalink
nofalcons10
Veteran

nofalcons10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nofalcons10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nofalcons10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nofalcons10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nofalcons10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nofalcons10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nofalcons10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nofalcons10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nofalcons10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nofalcons10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nofalcons10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quick question: do any fans here think that the rams will consider moving Fendi onobun to Defensive end?

Last year i thought that he had the physical potential of jason taylor or jevon kearse.
nofalcons10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:21 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofalcons10 View Post
Quick question: do any fans here think that the rams will consider moving Fendi onobun to Defensive end?

Last year i thought that he had the physical potential of jason taylor or jevon kearse.
No not really.