Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Indianapolis Colts Team Forum

Indianapolis Colts Team Forum Discuss the Colts

Old 01-24-2011, 03:52 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
I think a strong safety is a bigger need than that. Bullitt is a great backup and an interesting 3rd safety option but not a great starter IMO. Sanders is a top 3 safety when fully healthy but you can't trust him to stay off the injury report. I agree going OL early and often would be great as long as the players are there. But if the safety talent in the 2nd was better than the OL talent I wouldn't mind taking the safety.
He's not a great starter, but he's passable, especially when playing next to Antoine Bethea. I guess I wouldn't mind spending a pick there if the talent was much greater than the talent available at OL, but considering that virtually any OL is an option that would upgrade the unit either next year or in the not too distant future, I don't know that the value could be that much greater at SS.

Regardless, I'd like to see the Colts come away from this draft with at least 3 OL who could compete for starting jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
Welcome back, Dam.

I agree with you regarding OL being top need. Clearly, significant upgrade is needed there.

But what do you think about this deep class of DLs this year? It looks like Colts might finally be in a position to find that talented UT that they've needed for so long.
Well IMO DE is out of the question with Freeney, Mathis, and Hughes. Drafting another DE would be reaching the point of diminishing returns. That leaves DT, where I thought Moala came on strong, Muir remained a steady force, and Mathews came on strong at the end of the year. Combine with Johnson and Foster, and I see a relatively young and capable DT unit for the first time since 2005, so I'm not so sure that an upgrade is needed, especially not nearly as much as a good blindside protector for Peyton Manning. Now, if there's some sort of ludicrous value in round 2, sure, take it, but I really can't see the Colts going anywhere but OT in the first round this year.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:40 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A lot of mocks have us taking Solder or Smith. Both are talented, but still need work.

Both are kind of similar prospects to what Ugoh was coming out. I'm not sure if they'll have the same work-ethic (or lack there of) that Ugoh had, but I really prefer to get a more polished OT.

Sherrod, Castonzo or Carimi seem to be more polished and could probably start from day 1 for us.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:43 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Well IMO DE is out of the question with Freeney, Mathis, and Hughes. Drafting another DE would be reaching the point of diminishing returns. That leaves DT, where I thought Moala came on strong, Muir remained a steady force, and Mathews came on strong at the end of the year. Combine with Johnson and Foster, and I see a relatively young and capable DT unit for the first time since 2005, so I'm not so sure that an upgrade is needed, especially not nearly as much as a good blindside protector for Peyton Manning. Now, if there's some sort of ludicrous value in round 2, sure, take it, but I really can't see the Colts going anywhere but OT in the first round this year.
What if you have a situation where all the 1st round-caliber OLs are gone and there is an absolute BEASTLY DT (like Paea for example) still there?
Old 01-25-2011, 09:31 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A few thoughts on the last few posts:

- Muir was not as good this year as last year. He took a big step back IMO. Hist first step was slow and he looked out of shape. He was not blowing into the backfield like he did last year. I dont 'know if it was injury or what but I don't expect the Colts to re-sign him, especially when you look at how the Colts improved so much against the run when Mookie returned from his knee injury.

- IMO "passable" isn't good enough. Bethea is at his best when the rest of the DBs are at their best. He has to make up for too many screwups if the other DBs are scrubs. I want to maximize Bethea's talent which would mean having a better SS next to him. I agree if the talent is similar between OL and SS they should go OL. In that case, make a play for Dawan Landry in free agency. SS is important in our defense and Bullitt just isn't good enough. And when the SS position is weak Bethea has to try to cover up the mistakes and can't ball hawk.

- I agree that Solder and Smith are too developmental to be the desired 1st round picks. I would add Castonzo to that, I think he will need to add significant strength to start in the NFL and that will take time. As of now Carimi and Sherrod are the only two OTs that I'm interested in in the 1st. Marcus Cannon is another possibility but I want to see him at the combine.

There are some round 2 and 3 guys that I think have potential. Lee Ziemba and Marcus Gilbert for example.

There are also some guards that might be worth taking or even trading up in the 2nd for. Imagine getting both Carimi/Sherrod and Cannon in the 1st 2 rounds.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:15 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
- I agree that Solder and Smith are too developmental to be the desired 1st round picks. I would add Castonzo to that, I think he will need to add significant strength to start in the NFL and that will take time. As of now Carimi and Sherrod are the only two OTs that I'm interested in in the 1st. Marcus Cannon is another possibility but I want to see him at the combine.

There are some round 2 and 3 guys that I think have potential. Lee Ziemba and Marcus Gilbert for example.

There are also some guards that might be worth taking or even trading up in the 2nd for. Imagine getting both Carimi/Sherrod and Cannon in the 1st 2 rounds.
Reading Scott's practice reports from Senior Bowl, it's just confirms what you and I agree on, Carimi and Sherrod are the top 2 OTs in the draft. Solder could be good, but needs work. Castonzo is ok, maybe he would be an upgrade over either CJ or Diem, but probably won't be a Pro-Bowler.

As far as guards, getting either Watkins or Moffitt would be a significant upgrade.

And Colts need to stay away from Hudson.

Last edited by MaxV : 01-28-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:27 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah Hudson was a real disappointment huh? I agree with you on Watkins and Moffitt. I expected Moffitt to do well but Watkins' dominance has been an exciting surprise.

I am probably getting a little too excited about drafting Carimi. With each day it seems less and less likely that he will be around when we pick.

i done stole dis sig
Old 01-29-2011, 05:31 AM    (permalink
jared3
Rookie

jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jared3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am definately hoping the Colts draft OT Gabe Carimi. I am a Purdue fan, but I was very impressed with Wisconsin's offensive line, in particular Carimi and left guard John Moffitt.

Another guard that is good is Steve Schilling from Michigan.

I hope the Colts select at least 2 OL in the draft.
jared3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:22 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

I still say that a good, pass-rushing DT would be a HUGE addition to our D.

But upgrading the O-Line should be the top priority.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:51 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I still say that a good, pass-rushing DT would be a HUGE addition to our D.

But upgrading the O-Line should be the top priority.
Moala really came on last year, and Mathews was a key factor in the late season improvement in run defense. I think with Muir, Johnson, and Foster, those five make a competent if unspectacular DT rotation. At the very least, they're far more competent as a unit than Johnson and Diem are at the OT spots.

There at least 8 OTs in this draft that I'd rather see starting for the Colts than Johnson and Diem.

1) Nate Solder
2) Anthony Castonzo
3) Derek Sherrod
4) Gabe Carimi
5) Ben Ijalana

6) Lee Ziemba
7) Marcus Gilbert
8) Clint Boling

Left Tackle prospect
Right Tackle prospect

I really liked Ziemba's performance in the Senior Bowl, he's a guy I'd like to see the Colts grab in Round 2.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:43 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

There is no question that our situation at DT is MUCH better then our situation at O-Line.

It's just, this is such a DEEP UT class. We've been waiting for a class like this for a long time. I think it would be a shame not to take advantage of it.

I think our D should be a solid unit next season. But it could be a great unit with a consistent disruptor in the interior.

With that being said, I think we might need to take a OT in the 1st round, just because there isn't much depth at that position.

Are we all in agreement that Smith would be too much of a project for us? I love his athleticism, but he needs time to develop. And we need someone NOW.

There will certainly be OTs taken before our pick. I'm hoping it's Smith, Solder and Castonzo, leaving us with Carimi or Sherrod, the 2 most polished imo.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:37 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Yes the only two OTs I'm interested in for the 1st are Carimi and Sherrod. Castonzo is too much of a lightweight and needs to get stronger, Solder and Smith are projects that will take time (and possibly coaching skill) that we don't have.

i done stole dis sig
Old 02-03-2011, 02:27 PM    (permalink
colts_fan8818
Rookie

colts_fan8818 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Yes the only two OTs I'm interested in for the 1st are Carimi and Sherrod. Castonzo is too much of a lightweight and needs to get stronger, Solder and Smith are projects that will take time (and possibly coaching skill) that we don't have.
I agree, what we need is a OT who can run block. Castonzo seems way to much like what we have already ie an undersized OT who can pass block but can't get push in the run game to save his life. While Smith reminds me way too much of Tony Ugoh for some reason. As for Solder I'm praying that some team drafts him before us because I don't trust Polian to not draft him.
Out of Sherrod and Carimi I think either one would be an upgrade on what we have now, but i think we should take Carimi just because he seems to be the better run blocker of the two, which i think we need more.
colts_fan8818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:30 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

It really sound like, unless Polian is willing to trade up, Carimi won't be there for us.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:32 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
It really sound like, unless Polian is willing to trade up, Carimi won't be there for us.
I'm afraid of that. Seems like he's clearly the #1 OT in the draft and it's hard to imagine no one picking an OT until #22. I think it'd be worth trading up for but I doubt Polian will do it.

i done stole dis sig
Old 02-04-2011, 12:43 AM    (permalink
colts_fan8818
Rookie

Quote:
I'm afraid of that. Seems like he's clearly the #1 OT in the draft and it's hard to imagine no one picking an OT until #22. I think it'd be worth trading up for but I doubt Polian will do it.
While I agree that Polian will not trade up, I still think that there is a good chance we can nab Carimi. A lot of the teams ahead of us have more pressing issues then o-line, and due to the fact that OT is one of the weakest positions in this draft a lot of teams might not feel the value is there for the higher picks. Besides at least 1 team will most likely fall in love with Solder and draft him way before they should and possibly do the same with Smith. Besides if we don't get Carimi at least there is a good chance that Sharrod will still be there, which isn't a bad consolation prize. Even getting Costanzo would be an improvement, then what we have now.

Last edited by colts_fan8818 : 02-04-2011 at 01:53 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:07 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by colts_fan8818 View Post
While I agree that Polian will not trade up, I still think that there is a good chance we can nab Carimi. A lot of the teams ahead of us have more pressing issues then o-line, and due to the fact that OT is one of the weakest positions in this draft a lot of teams might not feel the value is there for the higher picks. Besides at least 1 team will most likely fall in love with Solder and draft him way before they should and possibly do the same with Smith. Besides if we don't get Carimi at least there is a good chance that Sharrod will still be there, which isn't a bad consolation prize. Even getting Costanzo would be an improvement, then what we have now.
I hope you are right. I am fine with getting Sherrod in the 1st if Carimi isn't there. I don't want Castonzo though, he is not strong enough for the NFL.

What would be really exciting would be to see Polian move up to get Carimi, then move up again in the late 1st/early 2nd to nab another good OL prospect like Marcus Cannon or Mike Pouncey.

i done stole dis sig
Old 02-04-2011, 08:55 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I hope you are right. I am fine with getting Sherrod in the 1st if Carimi isn't there. I don't want Castonzo though, he is not strong enough for the NFL.

What would be really exciting would be to see Polian move up to get Carimi, then move up again in the late 1st/early 2nd to nab another good OL prospect like Marcus Cannon or Mike Pouncey.
I actually like Marcus Gilbert more then Castonzo, although he might be a reach with our pick.

Moving up with the first 2 picks would require for us to trade several of our later picks. I'm against that. We need depth and there is always a possibility to find late-round gems.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:18 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

To me getting Carimi and Cannon/Pouncey would be worth giving up a few picks. I don't disagree about depth though, we do need it at several spots.

i done stole dis sig
Old 02-04-2011, 05:18 PM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Every year teams fall in love with the athletic guys, the former Tight End prospects and the guys with huge upside. I would not be shocked if Castonzo, Smith and Solder were all gone before Camiri and Sherrod.

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

In Baseball the object is to go home and be safe.
Seamus2602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:37 PM    (permalink
colts_fan8818
Rookie

While I'm pretty confident that either Carimi or Sherrod will still be there when we pick, I'm afraid Polian will screw it up and take someone like Solder or Smith, or do something really stupid and not draft a linemen until the 3rd or 4th or something like that.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:01 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by colts_fan8818 View Post
While I'm pretty confident that either Carimi or Sherrod will still be there when we pick, I'm afraid Polian will screw it up and take someone like Solder or Smith, or do something really stupid and not draft a linemen until the 3rd or 4th or something like that.
Your fears are founded. I did predict drafting Hughes but usually I don't guess his picks right. I don't want him to pick a lineman just for the sake of picking one but my concern would be his inability to assess proper 1st round talent, especially on the OL.

i done stole dis sig
Old 02-11-2011, 09:46 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

I predicted the Addai pick, but everyone saw that one coming. He was considered a perfect fit for out system.

Marlin Jackson was a very popular pick in many mocks for the Colts also, but I actually didn't think we would pick him.

Last edited by MaxV : 02-11-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:05 PM    (permalink
fischbowl
All-NFLDC

fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Recent Forum Mock

1) Nate Solder, OT, Colorado
2) Mark Herzlich, LB, Boston College
3) Johnny Patrick, CB, Louisville
4) Zach Hurd, G, UConn
5) Martin Parker, DT, Richmond
6) Joe Lefeged, S, Rutgers
7) Derek Newton, OT, Arkansas State

Players I was targeting Rounds 6-7

Drake Nevis and Christian Ballard were taken before my pick in the 2nd and I had tried to trade for a few veteran DTs but to no avail.

<+fenikz> "**** the Police, ride my fischstache bitches"
fischbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:07 PM    (permalink
colts_fan8818
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischbowl View Post
Recent Forum Mock

1) Nate Solder, OT, Colorado
2) Mark Herzlich, LB, Boston College
3) Johnny Patrick, CB, Louisville
4) Zach Hurd, G, UConn
5) Martin Parker, DT, Richmond
6) Joe Lefeged, S, Rutgers
7) Derek Newton, OT, Arkansas State

Players I was targeting Rounds 6-7

Drake Nevis and Christian Ballard were taken before my pick in the 2nd and I had tried to trade for a few veteran DTs but to no avail.
If the draft turns out like that I will break something. Solder is not at all what the Colts need at tackle, and we don't need a LB enough to pick one in the 2nd. Especially considering S and DT are much bigger needs.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:19 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Yeah that would be a disaster of a draft for the Colts.

i done stole dis sig