Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum Discuss the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:30 PM    (permalink
steelersfan2011
Rookie

steelersfan2011 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.steelersfan2011 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Positions of Need for 2011 Draft

Depending on if the Steelers win or not they could be looking at several Retirements throughout the Team
-LeBeau
-Ward
-Batch
-Adams
-Smith
-Randel El

LeBeau replacement will likely be the man who filled in for LeBeau this past summer when he left for the HOF, the Steelers Linebackers Coach. As for the rest of the POSIBILITES not certainties, Ward and Randel El would cause a sudden excess of WR to become 3 WR who have played a total of 5 NFL seasons between them all, Limas Sweed, a class of his own, and a WR on the Steelers practice squad. Batch makes room for 3 QB to make the team along with another signed for competition. Adams makes roster room for another tackle to be drafted to compete with the youngsters on the O-Line. Aaron Smith will be missed however every game I see Hood play I feel less and less worried. Next D-Lineman to be drafted to eventually replace is Keisel. NG hopefully will be drafted because Hamptons is begining to show signs of age.

This is not a list of players but merely the positions ranked 1-7 as they might be drafted.
1-NG, Steelers love to suprise
2-OG
3-DE
4-OT
5-RB
6-WR
7-QB
steelersfan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:46 AM    (permalink
PittPete
Rookie

PittPete PittPete PittPete

why would Aaron Smith retire? Prior to his injury, he was playing at a pro bowl level and has been biting at the bit to play again. Hampton(s) showing his age? Ask the Jets offensive line how old he looked. Mangold got thrown around like a ragdoll. Casey will be with us for another 3-5 years. The position we need to beef up most is cornerback which is not on your list at all. Ike is our only above average corner and he is a free agent.
PittPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:03 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittPete View Post
why would Aaron Smith retire? Prior to his injury, he was playing at a pro bowl level and has been biting at the bit to play again.
Yeah, he does play well when he's healthy, but he'll turn 35 in April and has suffered 3 serious arm injuries in the past 4 years. Torn Biceps, torn rotator cuff, torn triceps, all were season-enders.

He also has to deal with his son having cancer, which makes his effort and dedication to the team much more admirable.

I'd love for him to come back next year, but he's a serious candidate for retirement.

Quote:
Hampton(s) showing his age? Ask the Jets offensive line how old he looked. Mangold got thrown around like a ragdoll. Casey will be with us for another 3-5 years.
I agree with you here, Hampton isn't really showing his age, nor has his age really caught up to him. He might have lost some speed, but that doesn't really matter for a 3-4 run clogging NT. NT's usually play at a high level well into their thirties, so from a physical standpoint Hampton could still dominate for at least two more years. It just depends on whether he'd like to come back, as he'd be 34 next season.

Quote:
The position we need to beef up most is cornerback which is not on your list at all. Ike is our only above average corner and he is a free agent.
This. If I were to do a list, it would look something like this:

1. OG
2. CB
3. OT
4. DE
5. NT
6. WR
7. RB

We need a starter, not depth, at RG, meaning that guard should automatically be our #1 need, even if it's not what we address earliest. CB too, McFadden and *** are good enough to hold down the fort, but they'll never turn into something amazing. Crezdon is still a question mark, and Keenan Lewis just can't seem to get out of Tomlin's doghouse.

OT is a need based on depth, as I can see Flozell retiring after this year, and there's no legitimate reason to expect Tony Hills back next year. That leaves Max Starks, Willie Colon, and Jonathan Scott, which has two above-average starters, and a capable backup.

DE is a need based solely on the future, as Keisel, Hood, and Eason are a pretty good rotation for us right now. Same for NT, but with Big Snack and Hokie.

WR and RB are specific needs for me, as I want one type of receiver and one type of RB. I'd like a vertical threat. Not sure if that's what they're called, though. Not a deep threat like Wallace, but rather a guy that can jump up and get the ball, like Plaxico, Fitzy, and future rookie Jonathan Baldwin. RB, I'd like a change of pace back like Devine, except that he's too small, haha. Maybe Kendall Hunter. If we address it in FA, my #1 choice is still Jerious Norwood.

Props to clover_jeez!
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:20 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

hamton is not showing his age....i thought he was gonna plummet in skill after being so overweight a few years ago but hes only gotten better.

imo needs go like this in this order

High Priority
RG
DE
CB

Med Priority
FS
LT
NT
RB
non slot WR
MLB
TE

Low Priority
OLB
QB
Slot WR
Center

but by all means they could really go with RG , LT/RT, CB, NT, DE in the first round.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:48 PM    (permalink
steelersfan2011
Rookie

steelersfan2011 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.steelersfan2011 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I agree That Hampton has seemed to play better than his age, but besides this past year of adressing a killing need in Center the Steelers have drafted with an eye to the future. Meaning a draftee would get 2-3 years to backup to learn the system then replace Hampton. This is how Mike Tomilin PREFERS to coach and he has showed it throughout this year by telling the press. I agree with your High Position Needs except I add NT there as somewhere the Steelers will want to Draft this year to aviod a dropoff in the play of the Defense when Hampton begins to show his age in 2 years.

This Year:
LG (I think Foster has potential as a 2nd year player only but the interior NEEDS help)
DE
CB
NT

Possibly but not really a need:
SS (Troy can't last as long as a Farrior with the way he throws himself into the play, which is what makes him great)
LT
RB (Player to replace Moore who has definitly slowed and become inconsistant)

Depends on Younger Players Development:
FS (Depends what people think of Mundy because I thought he was mediocre but he is young)
MLB
Old 02-03-2011, 08:35 AM    (permalink
PittPete
Rookie

PittPete PittPete PittPete

Thing is with drafting a nose tackle; we need a premiere one in our defense. We've been spoiled so much with Casey, I think if we had a B+ NT instead of an A+ we would see the difference. Phil Taylor seems to fit the bill but do we take him round 1? He won't be there at 64. If so, say goodbye to Hoke, who is old but still productive.
PittPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:01 PM    (permalink
steelersfan2011
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittPete View Post
Thing is with drafting a nose tackle; we need a premiere one in our defense. We've been spoiled so much with Casey, I think if we had a B+ NT instead of an A+ we would see the difference. Phil Taylor seems to fit the bill but do we take him round 1? He won't be there at 64. If so, say goodbye to Hoke, who is old but still productive.
I agree that the Steelers probably won't draft a NT this year, but that doesn't mean the Steelers are in line to need a NT a few years in the future to start.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:30 AM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think our 4 biggest needs going into this draft are

CB, RG, DL, and ILB.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:53 PM    (permalink
Steeler111

I think the Steelers need to upgrade their CB play... I want to see them draft CB early and often.

1) Harris (CB)
2) Dowing (FS)
3) Taylor (NT)
4) Best OT available...
Old 03-28-2011, 08:57 PM    (permalink
ellsy82
Veteran

ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tier 1 Priorities: CB, OG

Cornerback is an obvious need. Even with Ike's return we're left with many questions in the secondary. McFadden's injury turned out to be a factor in his suckitude in 2009, not the reason we were hoping for. We have no decent option at nickle back, so if a team with a spread offense ever gets their hands on us, they'll pick us apart like ARod did in the SB.

We've needed better guard play since we lost Faneca and Simmons. To be honest, this might be the primary need for this draft.

Tier 2 Priorities: Free safety, offensive tackle, defensive end

Luxury picks: QB, tight end, wide receiver, linebacker, running back, nose guard

I list WR, TE, and NG as luxuries because we have plenty of depth at WR and TE, and great (albiet old) depth at NT.
ellsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote