Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Miami Dolphins Team Forum

Miami Dolphins Team Forum Discuss the 'Phins

Old 01-21-2011, 07:59 PM    (permalink
Da-Phins
Veteran

Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 2011 Offseason Thread

Lets get it started!

Lets try to make this an active/discussion thread and not boring, ok my little angels?

Props to fenikz on the awesome sig
Da-Phins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:19 AM    (permalink
Catch_23
Rookie

Catch_23 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Yes lets please make this active, what does everyone think of Scotts latest mock. I personally like Ingram but I feel like if one of the top 4 Qbs is still on there we have to take him. But thats just my opinon.
Catch_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:06 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree, the Dolphins forum is in need of some activity. You guys should start by finding a good topic to debate on. If everyone agrees, then there's nothing to talk about. :)

Or start by creating some Dolphins mocks.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:28 PM    (permalink
Da-Phins
Veteran

Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Its a given that this team is gonna bring in another QB to compete with Henne for the starting job. Who should we look at?

I'm not all that warm and cozy with this QB draft class and none of the vets are really all that and a bag of chips. I wouldnt touch Young with 20 inch pole and I dont see Kolb as a franchise type QB.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:46 PM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-NFLDC

Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Personally, I like Kolb and think he could be a high-quality starter. I had him him at number 2 on my Dolphins QB Big Board the year he came out (after Quinn). I was sad to see us end up settling on Beck. Don't think we have what it takes to get Kolb though, don't think we'll part with our first and a lack of second will make it tough.

As for the FA route, lots of guys out there...we obviously are going to sign one player but I'm not sure who. We could go the veteran route and get someone like Kerry Collins or Marc Bulger, we could go the bust route with Matt Leinart or Alex Smith, or we could go the former backup/spot starter route with someone like Drew Stanton, Kellen Clemens, or Brodie Croyle.

Personally, I'm highest on Collins as a SHORT-term competition to Henne but in that scenario I feel like we'd have to draft a QB in the first round because that's banking way too much on Henne improving. My next top pick would be Stanton, he showed pretty well this year and I think he could be a Jay Fiedler-type, not the best but at least we were competitive when he ran the offense.

As for the draft, I'm not really big on anyone at QB. I think we need to fix the run offense first and foremost (easier said than done, I think we need a new starting C and LG as well as some new blood at RB, Hilliard is the only guy from the roster last year that I want back and that's still as a number 3/ST guy). Don't really think there is an impact QB out there for us to grab.

sig by BoneKrusher
Grizzlegom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:20 PM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quagmire is a cocksman.Quagmire is a cocksman.Quagmire is a cocksman.

Guys, lots of things to fix on the offensive side. Without knowing the cap and if/when free agency can happen this year, it is tough to speculate. However, with the draft, I do like the idea of trading down to fill multiple needs. On offense, they need help at QB, 2 RBs (every down type and I think a 3rd down type with some speed/KR ability), speed WR, speed TE, FB and help on the OL.

Ideally, they can pick up a #2 by trading down once (in a better world, maybe another trade down to the top of rd 2 and pick up an extra #3..)

Some names:
WR - Torrey Smith, Jerrel Jurnigan, Titus Young. I like Smith because of his size. I think he will blow up the combine and move way up by draft day..

RB - I am putting Ingram on here just because everyone already seems to have him there.. For every down type I like Leshoure from Illinois and also like Ridley from LSU as a potential guy in rd 3 or 4.. I like Hunter from OK St as a 3rd down type.

TE - Would love Kyle Rudolph, but don't see that happening. Perhaps a DJ Williams or Lance Kendricks..

QB - If I thought they were taking one in rd 1, I think Newton or Mallett are boom or bust types worth taking a chance on. 2 totally different styles, but I think each could work... Otherwise Kaepernick keeps getting brought up as a low #1 or #2 rd pick...

OL - I would love Carimi or Castonzo, but I think there is no way Ross lets them not make a "sexy pick" for their first choice... Think maybe an interior line guy in the middle rds to hopefully help.

One other prediction. Depending on when/if FA happens this yr, I think the starting QB on opening day for Miami next yr is Matt Flynn. I am guessing they will part with some kind of 2012 pick to make it happen...

Lets get this thing going....
Quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:49 PM    (permalink
Da-Phins
Veteran

Read that Ross has gave Ireland and Sparano the green light to be aggressive this offseason and spend as much as they want. Did the same thing last year and landed Marshall and Dansby. So hopefully we can land some more high impact guys like those two this offseason.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:59 AM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-NFLDC

Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm REALLY hoping that New England is dumb enough to let Logan Mankins hit the free agent market. Word is we're going to be all over him if he does and that plus Ross willing to open the pocketbook would put us in good position to get him I'd think. Would be a major upgrade for us and further weaken the Pats so...win win.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 02-07-2011, 06:14 PM    (permalink
Da-Phins
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlegom View Post
I'm REALLY hoping that New England is dumb enough to let Logan Mankins hit the free agent market. Word is we're going to be all over him if he does and that plus Ross willing to open the pocketbook would put us in good position to get him I'd think. Would be a major upgrade for us and further weaken the Pats so...win win.
I doubt the Pats would let him walk. Kraft already said they will do everything they can to keep him there. Another guy that we could go after is Brad Smith. I would love to bring that guy to Miami. Not only could he help in the return game but I also think we could be more productive with the Wild cat.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:40 PM    (permalink
Da-Phins
Veteran

Quote:
Soliai, drafted in 2007, is expected to hit free agency once the players' union and the NFL get their act together and agree on a collective bargaining agreement. He will not re-sign with Miami before a new collective bargaining agreement is reached, according to a league source, because he wants to maximize his earning potential and the 30 percent rule makes it hard to do that until after his current contract expires and he becomes a free agent.

So the Dolphins have "zero," chance of re-signing Soliai before he hits free agency, the source close to the player said Tuesday.

What does that mean?

It means the biggest body on the Miami defensive line, the player who started 14 games at nose tackle for Miami last year, will hit free agency assuming the league does not establish a lull period during which current teams have exclusive rights to negotiate with their own players.

I am told if Soliai hits the open market, it will be a free-for-all. He wants to remain with the Dolphins. But he wants to get paid. And there will be interest because there always is for a 355 pound defensive lineman that has proven he can play.

In talks between the Dolphins and agent David Canter, I am told by my source, the Dolphins are being cautious. Canter could not be reached for comment, but I'll keep trying. He is, after all, a weekly contributor on my radio show Armando and the Amigo.
Would you be cool with giving Soliai a big contract after being a terd for 3 years but a ******* beast during his contract year?

Old 02-11-2011, 07:55 PM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-NFLDC

Absolutely. It takes most NTs 3 years to really flash dominance. I think he's gotta be offseason priority number 1 honestly. Starks was mediocre while he was playing on the nose and its clear his best position is outside. McDaniel is probably going to get a sweeter deal elsewhere so if we lose Soliai, we're going to have a big whole inside. I'd even be so bold as to franchise him, that's how important he was to our run defense last year.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 02-11-2011, 08:02 PM    (permalink
Da-Phins
Veteran

Quote:
Absolutely. It takes most NTs 3 years to really flash dominance. I think he's gotta be offseason priority number 1 honestly. Starks was mediocre while he was playing on the nose and its clear his best position is outside. McDaniel is probably going to get a sweeter deal elsewhere so if we lose Soliai, we're going to have a big whole inside. I'd even be so bold as to franchise him, that's how important he was to our run defense last year.
Yeah I agree but what scares me is how he was lazy his first three years then all of a sudden he starts trying his contract year. Are we dealing with a player who is truly maturing or just motivated by the money then turns it back down once he gets paid?

Old 02-11-2011, 08:26 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
L.Mankins is expected to get franchised.
Hopefully it turns out just like the Wilfork situation.
Franchise tag was just a tactic to extend the negotiation window.
Soon after the new CBA is signed, he gets signed to an extension

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:27 PM    (permalink
thebow305
2009 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da-Phins View Post
Would you be cool with giving Soliai a big contract after being a terd for 3 years but a ******* beast during his contract year?
I'd be ok with it, especially since dominant NT's are pretty hard to come by. It does worry me a bit though. I also don't know what the hell we are going to do with Merling and Odrick if we do re-sign Soliai.

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
thebow305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:32 PM    (permalink
Da-Phins
Veteran

Nolan is a smart man so I'm sure he knows that a line of Starks-Soliai-Langford is the best combination we have. Merling is worthless and I hope we try to trade him this offseason. He's better off in a 4-3 anyway. Dont see McDaniel coming back so I guess Odrick will take his place in the rotation.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:51 AM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-NFLDC

I'm on board with dumping Merling off if someone would give us a late round pick for him (5th-6th). I'd love to see McDaniel back but I get the sense that someone will give him more money/years than us since he's shown versatility to play all three spots on the 34 at a high level.

As for what we do with Odrick, he would be the top reserve and would see tons of PT as Starks would still slide inside on passing downs and he would spell Langford and Starks at the DE spots. I think as long as we bring Soliai back, our DL will be fine because I like Robert Rose and Chris Baker as developmental guys on the bottom of the roster and we'll be a good 4 deep above them with Odrick, Starks, Soliai, and Langford, 5 if we bring back either Merling or McDaniel.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 02-16-2011, 07:13 PM    (permalink
Da-Phins
Veteran

Quote:
"Let me tell you this and take it however way you want," Canter said, "If the Dolphins don't pay Paul Soliai, there will be plenty of other teams lining up to sign him as a free agent, I know that ..."

Alrightie then.

That sentiment came within the context of productive, professional talks with the Dolphins, according to Canter, who was quite complimentary of Miami general manager Jeff Ireland. In fact, Canter said he spoke with Ireland earlier this week and the two plan to talk again in Indianapolis during the NFL combine late next week.

Canter did not discuss numbers or specifics of the negotiation with me. I know, however, through a Soliai family source that Miami has made the nose tackle several contract offers. The latest, interestingly, about 10 days ago was a one-year offer.
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolph...situation.html

I sure hope Ireland isnt gonna be cheap towards Soliai, we need the guy to anchor the middle.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:21 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Da-Phins you know the girl in your sig is on the Amazing Race right?

Anyway the reason I came in was to say it looks like Plax wants to play for you guys. Would you take him?

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:19 PM    (permalink
Da-Phins
Veteran

Its also the same girl that I see on my dick every nite. High five for me!

As for your question, Plax would be a huge risk and I dont view it as a smart move. No doubt him and Marshall would make a great duo and with Bess working the slot, that would smell trouble for defenses. But both have big head egos and always like to ***** so doubt it would work long term. Marshall already acted like a baby several times last year cause he didnt feel like he was getting the ball enough. But If we had a real QB and a type of offense that likes to throw it around then I would certainly take that risk.

Last edited by Da-Phins : 02-21-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:45 AM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-NFLDC

I don't really view Plax as a huge risk personally. I don't really see us attempting to sign him however as this regime has been pretty anti problem children. I'd really have to Plax work out too because what we really need is a deep threat and if he lost any of his speed, which wasn't elite in the first place, he wouldn't really be what we need.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 02-22-2011, 11:24 AM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd be alright with us signing Plax. Always been a big fan. A little bit of a risk, but HUGE reward.

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
Old 02-24-2011, 04:38 PM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-NFLDC

Jason La Canfora Dolphins place franchise tag on DT Paul Soliai.

WOOOOOT. He was priority one. Now we can address the interior line and get some speed on offense and we'll be good to go. haha

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 02-24-2011, 05:08 PM    (permalink
Da-Phins
Veteran

Smart move by Ireland and company. One less need to worry about. I really like the guy but I do wonder rather or not if he is the type of player who just turns it on when its almost pay day.

Also, there's a good chance that we could be landing Shockey. He took a physical for us today and ESPN is saying that we are working on a deal with him. Another good move if we can get this thing done. We have nothing after Fasano and he shoud really help out our redzone offense.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:05 PM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da-Phins View Post
Smart move by Ireland and company. One less need to worry about. I really like the guy but I do wonder rather or not if he is the type of player who just turns it on when its almost pay day.

Also, there's a good chance that we could be landing Shockey. He took a physical for us today and ESPN is saying that we are working on a deal with him. Another good move if we can get this thing done. We have nothing after Fasano and he shoud really help out our redzone offense.
I agree about both, although Shockey is a shell of his former self. Won't make much of a difference, but he's a hometown favorite and I've always been a big fan.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:26 AM    (permalink
PhinsRock
Rookie

PhinsRock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PhinsRock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PhinsRock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PhinsRock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PhinsRock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PhinsRock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PhinsRock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PhinsRock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PhinsRock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PhinsRock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PhinsRock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Looking like Shockey is headed to Tennessee. I'm a little disappointed. I think Shockey would have added toughness, talent, leadership and a swag that we don't have.