Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 02-01-2011, 04:09 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
On a different subject, I'm pretty excited for the development of Spoon. Just watching Von Miller and all the love he got at the Senior Bowl... Spoon's that same type of playmaker. He started off the year with 8, 9, then 7 tackles.

After his injury though, he didn't come back as strong and only really played in the nickel. And I felt as if he was noticeably hampered by the injury. Cannot wait to see the kid play next year. He's someone Van Gorder is going to feel comfortable blitzing (we've seen it when he's in the game) Could explode big time for us next year.
Yea he really wasn't as effective after his injury. It really pissed me off to see how bad he was in coverage because that was supposed to be a strong part of his game and we really needed it.

I see us possibly drafting an OLB with playmaking ability. Maybe someone who has really good pass rushing and/or coverage skills.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:09 PM    (permalink
Falconguru
Rookie

Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.

I think almost any team would love Fitzgerald but I'm trying to be realistic plus Fitz as another yr on his contract I believe. Here's a thought since our offensive philosphy is centered on running the ball would the Falcon's try and sign Logan Mankins? I would say for the right price I would. The guy missed a number of games and still made all pro. I'm sure TD is friends with Mankins coming from the organization and we need help at guard. A player like Mankins could help Mclure or Baker when needed and show the rest of the linemen what it takes to be that good.

Right now our line isn't all that when facing exceptional defenses.If Falcons brass would take a step back and realize that when you double Roddy and stack the box the Falcon's really don't have any other playmakers. Jenkins,Douglas forget it. Gonzo is a nice possession player but no longer the big threat when he played in KC. More weapons are needed to give defenses something more to adjust to.

Jenkins probably wouldn't make the Packers top 4 receivers yet in Atlanta is no2 . Douglas needs to step his game up big time and it wouldn't hurt to bring in some competition.
Defensively, we know we need playmakers but how many players have that potential at 27 or late 2nd round? Def end is the achilles heel of the team yet I highly doubt a decent prospect will be available at 27 since other teams covet def ends also. Stud linebacker at 27 who? Corners having Grimes now considered a pro bowler or better than average and D Robinson on the other side I doubt the 27th pick is used there also. If you can't play better defense the next best thing is to increase the offensive production. I think at 27 there will be some players available that could really bolster the offense. Titus Young,Torrey Smith at receiver are my 1A and 1B options. I actually like smith better but either would be fine.

Baker had issues this past year yet I doubt a high pick is used for left tackle since most quality left tackles will be off the board if not all. Having Turner as the back I doubt running back is the choice and Gonzo coming back I doubt Kyle Rudoplh would factor into their pick at 27.
Falconguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:12 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Pioneer Press says impending free agent LE Ray Edwards is "all but gone."
Edwards is looking for a massive payday and he's highly unlikely to get it from the Vikings. They are already committed to Jared Allen on the right side as their high-priced pass rusher. With 16.5 sacks in his last 30 games, Edwards will attract significant attention on the open market.
Source: St. Paul Pioneer Press

He's probably going to get too pricey for us.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:19 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ray Edward sounds like a good fit, but I wouldn't pay too much for him.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-01-2011, 07:30 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, Edwards is a real nice fit. He's definitely going to get overpaid though as the top DE. Doesn't sound like the GMen are going to bring back Kiwi either, so we'll have a shot at a DE in FA.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:05 AM    (permalink
Falconguru
Rookie

Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.

I was reading up on Mathias K his first 4 games he had 3 sacks before he got injured. I think any team who needs a pass rusher is going to overpay but the key is not over paying to much. It just depends on what some of the better free agents will be asking.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:13 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconguru View Post
I was reading up on Mathias K his first 4 games he had 3 sacks before he got injured. I think any team who needs a pass rusher is going to overpay but the key is not over paying to much. It just depends on what some of the better free agents will be asking.
Pretty much. We don't need another 12+ sack guy with Abraham. While it'd be nice, we don't NEED it. We need someone who can bring some consistency with the rush and bring down the QB about 7-9 times. Ray Edwards and Mathias are perfect in that role. The key is going to be whether we can get them at a non elite sack artist price. Or if we are willing to overpay.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:17 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Mularkey interviewing with the Titans. Probably won't get it though. (Greg Williams and their OL coach seem to be the clear front runners.)
Old 02-02-2011, 02:56 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

It really bothers me that Kroy Biermann didn't step up like we all thought he would. We can't go into 2011 hoping it was just a down year for year and he'll be like we know he can. Just sucks.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-02-2011, 03:02 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Well he doesn't "suck". I think he just made it very clear there's a difference between being a very good situational/role player and being a good starter.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:16 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

I didn't say he sucks, but rather that he had a terrible season. That sucks because we need to either spend a high draft pick or waste a lot of money on a pass rusher now.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-02-2011, 07:15 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

The Atlanta Falcons are very close to a multiyear contract extension with coach Mike Smith, a league source said Wednesday.

The team expects to announce the extension shortly since the deal is close to being finalized.

General manager Thomas Dimitroff also is expected to get a contract extension at some point this offseason.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:18 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
The Atlanta Falcons are very close to a multiyear contract extension with coach Mike Smith, a league source said Wednesday.

The team expects to announce the extension shortly since the deal is close to being finalized.

General manager Thomas Dimitroff also is expected to get a contract extension at some point this offseason.
They fully deserve it. Especially Tommy D, he's here to stay for a very long time, and that makes me happy. As long as he's here, I see the falcons have some kind of success. If they slip even a little bit, we know he's going to go out and spend big bucks to fix whatever needed. Love that guy.

If I'm a player, that's the kind of guy I want to sign a deal with.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-03-2011, 03:00 AM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The popular opinion among Falcons fans is that they need to add a 'third down back' this off-season. Someone to basically be what Norwood could be if he could stay healthy. I'm not convinced. I think maybe the Falcons should look at a good all around RB who could eventually start. Kind of like a Maurice Jones-Drew to Michael Turner's Fred Taylor. I've actually seen some mocks in which the Falcons would have the option of selecting Mark Ingram. Probably won't be an option, but it's a fun thought to ponder.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:27 AM    (permalink
the_dark_knight
Veteran

the_dark_knight hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I wouldn't take Ingram, not in the first round, not before a few other backs come off the board. Ingram wasn't even the best back at his college program, what makes you think he's going to just turn it on in the pros? He doesn't have elite speed, he barely has good speed. He doesn't have great shiftiness either. There are a lot of things about him that just leave huge question marks to me.

The sum of his parts do not equal up to the whole in Mark Ingram, that's why I think he'd be a bad pick. His natural ability isn't that of a Heisman winner, and we all know he wasn't the best player in college football that year, wasn't even close to the best runningback, the media just wanted to get Alabama their Heisman.

That all being said, I don't think getting a good pass rusher is a 'waste' of money by any means. In fact I think it's a good investment. Charles Johnson is the guy I want, I wanted him in the draft a few years back and now that he's available I want us to take a run at him.
the_dark_knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:49 AM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dark_knight View Post
I wouldn't take Ingram, not in the first round, not before a few other backs come off the board. Ingram wasn't even the best back at his college program, what makes you think he's going to just turn it on in the pros?

Turn it on in the pros? I don't even know what that means and am just going to stop reading right there. Whether or not people hold the opinion that he's better than Richardson shouldn't affect how you view Ingram as a prospect. Playing with Felix Jones and Peyton Hillis didn't affect how I viewed Darren McFadden. I judge prospects as individuals.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:50 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Turn it on in the pros? He won a Heisman.

And Ingram was without a doubt the best back on that Alabama squad. Not nearly the most physically gifted, though.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:10 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

The Atlanta Falcons today announced that head coach Mike Smith has signed a three-year extension of his contract. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:00 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Ingram wasn't even the best back at his college program, what makes you think he's going to just turn it on in the pros?
How does this sentence make any sense?

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-03-2011, 03:10 PM    (permalink
the_dark_knight
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosanac01 View Post
How does this sentence make any sense?
In reference to Michael Turner's replacement, what makes you think that Ingram is capable of that?

Seriously, was it that confusing for you? I'm so terribly sorry
Old 02-03-2011, 03:58 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
In reference to Michael Turner's replacement, what makes you think that Ingram is capable of that?

Seriously, was it that confusing for you? I'm so terribly sorry
Sorry it was my fault, didn't know Michael Turner and Trent Richardson were the same people.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-03-2011, 09:14 PM    (permalink
Draft King
All-Pro

Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The Atlanta Falcons today announced that head coach Mike Smith has signed a three-year extension of his contract. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
I know some here aren't a fan of Smith, but no question he deserved it. He has brought to continuity to a franchise that never had back to back winning seasons. I honestly do believe we will win a Superbowl at some point in the next 4-5 seasons.
Draft King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:11 AM    (permalink
Falconguru
Rookie

It would be interesting if Ingram were available when the Falcon's picked. Ingram isn't great at one thing but does many well. Joe Morris the former Syracuse Orangeman and Giants back seemed to be of the same caliber at least to me. I think we do need a back that can get to the outside however it just depends on how TD ranks the players. If he as a receiver rated alot higher than he'll be the pick, running back probably Ingram or any other position.

I think Charles Johnson gets tagged and won't hit free agency. I think we need to find at least one def end in free agency or the draft. In the first wouldn't surprise me if the Falcon's try and trade up since I highly doubt one of the better def ends slides to Atlanta.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:28 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft King View Post
I know some here aren't a fan of Smith, but no question he deserved it. He has brought to continuity to a franchise that never had back to back winning seasons. I honestly do believe we will win a Superbowl at some point in the next 4-5 seasons.

I like Smitty, but if he doesn't win big in this contract, it might be time to cut the cord.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:39 AM    (permalink
the_dark_knight
Veteran

Quote:
I like Smitty, but if he doesn't win big in this contract, it might be time to cut the cord.
I don't see this being the case at all. We are still pretty far from a Super Bowl WINNING team. We need a new offensive coordinator and we need explosive plays like crazy.