Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 02-04-2011, 11:26 AM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Smitty won't get his cord cut anytime soon. I can't see Arthur Blank and TD doing it.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:59 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosanac01 View Post
Smitty won't get his cord cut anytime soon. I can't see Arthur Blank and TD doing it.
If we continue to do nothing in the playoffs, I think AB would definitely cut the cord in 3 years.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:57 PM    (permalink
the_dark_knight
Veteran

the_dark_knight hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

3 years, sure. Sooner than that not likely. Also if we keep getting into the playoffs, going to be hard to move the HC that got us there, we'll need the coordinators to get us past that.
the_dark_knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:36 PM    (permalink
Falconguru
Rookie

Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.

I think it could be 3 more yrs before we reach the level of defenders a team like the Packers have. Rome wasn''t built in a day and we just need more talent especially on defense. I'm looking at who might be available at 27 for the Falcon's and most of the better defenders should be off the board. I am thinking offense and probably a receiver. The two receivers that have burner speed Torrey Smith or Titus Young would really help although if Jernigan does well enough maybe him in the slot. Not at 27 for Young or Jernigan definetly Smith. I highly doubt Young would be available for the Falcon's 2nd orund pick. I like Smith and Young because they could play slot for awhile then move over to no2 receiver when Jenkins contract is up. Jernigan is strictly a slot player.

Also running back is a troublesome spot in that the Falcon's can't get to the outside and make defenses work harder. They know Turner will be coming up the middle or to the guard side. Turner doesn't have the speed to get outside and its easier for the better defenses to defend.
Falconguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:22 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think there is a good chance Young or Jernigan would be there for your second pick, if that fails I would love one of the Kentucky burners in the 3rd.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-05-2011, 06:46 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosanac01 View Post
I think there is a good chance Young or Jernigan would be there for your second pick, if that fails I would love one of the Kentucky burners in the 3rd.

I think now you can say one of them makes it. But they are both speed guys and undeserved or not, I get the feeling both are going to fly up boards when they clock 4.3 times.

Would anyone else be up for trading up to the Pats #17 (we all know how they love to make trades) for Ryan Kerrigan? I think I would pull the trigger providing we don't get ass raped in the trade.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:01 PM    (permalink
the_dark_knight
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
I think now you can say one of them makes it. But they are both speed guys and undeserved or not, I get the feeling both are going to fly up boards when they clock 4.3 times.

Would anyone else be up for trading up to the Pats #17 (we all know how they love to make trades) for Ryan Kerrigan? I think I would pull the trigger providing we don't get ass raped in the trade.
For Ryan Kerrigan? Absolutely NOT. Non Elite DE that would cost us our 2nd and likely more, no no, and more no. For Julio Jones? That's a different story, he's a legit threat across from Roddy.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:33 PM    (permalink
Falconguru
Rookie

Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.

Your right Dark Knight the Falcon's would have to give our 2nd rounder along with the 1st. TD said in a recent article Douglas was back to his old self (at least how I interpreted it) at the end of the year but still he didn't do much. WE really need a plan B in case he fails. I would accept Jenrigan but really want the potential of Young because he can be a potential good no2 receiver and give us explosiveness. I do think both Jerngian and Young go higher somewhere in the 2nd because of their speed. Torry Smith I think once he clocks his yime(expecting a 4.34) he'll look very tempting at 27. I think the potential of Smith is greater than most of the other prospects we have a shot at to be big playmakers. I'm talking any position so why not take advantage of it while we can. I'd hate for Smith to turn into the Clay Mathews of this draft and we get another Jerry.

My outside hope since a def end doesn't look possible to solve our pass rush is beef up the offense with explosive players. I know some might be against it but if Kyle Rudolph clocks a 4.6 ( at his pro day) and some how Young dropped I'd love to have Rudolph and Young to add to our core. Rudolph can stretch a defense something Tony G isn't doing now. The liklihood of both Young and Rudolph probably low.I do like the kentucky receiver as well as their back lowe but not sure if he passes the falcon filter. Young as had issues also off the field could be ruled out.

Oh well I think we all agree we need playmakers whether defense or offense.
Falconguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:27 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dark_knight View Post
For Ryan Kerrigan? Absolutely NOT. Non Elite DE that would cost us our 2nd and likely more, no no, and more no. For Julio Jones? That's a different story, he's a legit threat across from Roddy.
Kerrigan's a ******* baller. In this weak draft class, I think I'd do it. I'm still not totally convinced anyone outside of Julio is worth our first rounder at 27, and I'm doubting the Smith/Young/Jernigan trio makes it to our second. (I don't think Baldwin passes our filter.)
Old 02-06-2011, 08:46 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Watching Mike Wallace really makes me want one of the big play guys.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:01 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

I can't believe we won 13 game with our plain vanilla offense.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-07-2011, 01:16 AM    (permalink
the_dark_knight
Veteran

Our players were so good, they made it work. Sucked
Old 02-07-2011, 07:40 AM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mike Mularkey has become a target lately for Falcons fans. I'm not buying it. It's a classic case of choosing to blame the coach instead of acknowledging that the Falcons need more playmakers and better QB play. Matt Ryan was good, but he wasn't Aaron Rodgers good. The Falcons lost to the team with the better QB. That happens a lot in the NFL. QB play separates teams. Matt Ryan has only been in the league 3 years. He can continue to develop. Also, the Falcons just need more playmakers. Other than White and Turner, they have a bunch of unimpressive playmakers on offense. I don't buy for a second into cliches about 'opening up the playbook' or whatever. Running double reverses and flea flickers is not going to make the Falcons offense elite.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:55 AM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

If I were to blame one of the coordinators, it would be BVG. I know Rodgers is good and all, but how do you not make a team punt the ball after having 2 weeks to prepare for them?

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-07-2011, 11:32 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
. I don't buy for a second into cliches about 'opening up the playbook' or whatever. Running double reverses and flea flickers is not going to make the Falcons offense elite.

Who the hell is calling for this? A screen every once in a while, a slant pattern, pick plays, etc. is what people are looking for. You aren't going to get big plays with intermediate sideline passes. Just doesn't happen. Obviously we need more talent, but we were extraordinarily vanilla.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:53 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
Who the hell is calling for this? A screen every once in a while, a slant pattern, pick plays, etc. is what people are looking for. You aren't going to get big plays with intermediate sideline passes. Just doesn't happen. Obviously we need more talent, but we were extraordinarily vanilla.
The offense was vanilla because the talent was vanilla. No homerun threat at RB and no homerun threat, other than Roddy, among the pass catchers. The Falcon's offense needs an infusion of speed, explosiveness or whatever you want to call it.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:00 PM    (permalink
the_dark_knight
Veteran

Mularkey has been the target from the start. BVG was far from great, but honestly, he's not working with a whole lot, it's getting better, but he is still a lot of pieces away from what he needs. Mularkey is 1 maybe 2 pieces away. Mularkey has no creativity anymore, he's insanely conservative and he put us in terrible situations with 3rd and long, and without AMAZING QB play from Matt Ryan, we would have been 7-9. Look at his 3rd down QB rating, completions, and amount of first downs from 3rd and 5+ he was stellar.

Mularkey has been the problem in Atlanta all season. We needed to draft Dez Bryant and we'd have all the pieces of an elite offense, but instead of an elite offense we settled for a good offense and a band-aided defense which can't hold up against an elite offenses.

Turner can't run against 8 man fronts, and everyone can put an 8 man front because TG can't stretch the seam anymore, and he's not a threat. So people can stack 8 to stop the run and cover up TG preventing big plays while rolling 2 over on White, leaving 1 on 1 against Jenkins, who is putrid at making big plays. He can be very clutch, but he's not a threat to break a game open. We need a Dez Bryant type over there. But beyond that, Mularkey's playcalling keeps everything inside 20 yards, further allowing people to crowd the box without fear of giving up the big play.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:04 PM    (permalink
the_dark_knight
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
The offense was vanilla because the talent was vanilla. No homerun threat at RB and no homerun threat, other than Roddy, among the pass catchers. The Falcon's offense needs an infusion of speed, explosiveness or whatever you want to call it.
HD is extremely explosive, just wasn't back to 100% Look back to him at Louisville, he doesn't drop those passes, and he makes the plays that open up the offense.

Turner is very capable of hitting homeruns, but not against 8 man fronts with the most predictable runs in history.

But the playcalling wasn't vanilla based on inability of the players, it was vanilla based on the play caller. No taking chances was a problem.

People want to keep blaming Ryan, but that was the biggest knock on Ryan coming out of college that he was too much of a gunslinger. If the play is there, he'll take it, but when it's so predictable he's not going to throw the interceptions.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:16 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dark_knight View Post
HD is extremely explosive, just wasn't back to 100% Look back to him at Louisville, he doesn't drop those passes, and he makes the plays that open up the offense.

Turner is very capable of hitting homeruns,
Just stop. I don't care what Douglas was in college. He wasn't explosive for the Atlanta Falcons in 2011. Michael Turner isn't as explosive as he used to be. That's evidenced by having by far his lowest ypc of his career in 2011.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:23 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

I just throughout check up on TDK, and to my surprise, found no evidence that he's iloxy. Just wanted to point that out, carry on.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-07-2011, 01:54 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

lol, glad you checked up on that.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:13 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Fwiw, although I'm not sure we would be willing to take a back in round 2, my favorite back for us in this draft class is Shane Vareen. He's a glider.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:38 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
Fwiw, although I'm not sure we would be willing to take a back in round 2, my favorite back for us in this draft class is Shane Vareen. He's a glider.
DeMarco Murray is where it's at.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:25 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

From watching him at OU, I don't think Murray is explosive enough an upgrade to Jason Snelling. He was much more explosive early in his career, particularly his freshman year.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:23 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
From watching him at OU, I don't think Murray is explosive enough an upgrade to Jason Snelling. He was much more explosive early in his career, particularly his freshman year.

You might be right. I didn't watch enough college football this year. Dude looked great at the Senior Bowl and what I've seen up to this season though.