Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-26-2007, 06:35 AM    (permalink
Non_Sequitur
Veteran

Non_Sequitur hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Theisman booted, replaced with Jaws

Quote:
After one season as the lead analyst for “Monday Night Football” on ESPN, Joe Theismann will be dismissed and replaced by Ron Jaworski, the network is scheduled to announce today. Theismann is expected to be offered another job at the network.

He had also been ESPN’s analyst on “Sunday Night Football” from 1988 to 2005.

Replacing Theismann with Jaworski, who is known for his ESPN studio work but not for booth analysis, means exchanging one former quarterback with another. Jaworski, 56, played for the Eagles, and Theismann, 57, played for the Redskins.

It the second change for ESPN’s on-air crew since it acquired the rights to “Monday Night.” At first, Al Michaels was to be the play-by-play announcer, but he was released from his contract before he called a game in order to join NBC. Mike Tirico then replaced Michaels, and he joined Tony Kornheiser, the Washington Post columnist and co-host of ESPN’s “Pardon the Interruption,” and Theismann.

Although the first season of “Monday Night” on ESPN was its least viewed ever after 36 seasons on ABC — falling by more than four million a game — it was an unqualified success as a cable series, increasing ESPN’s viewership by 41 percent over the audience for “Sunday Night Football” in 2005.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/26/sp...theismann.html
Non_Sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:38 AM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ooooohhhh yeah baby!

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:48 AM    (permalink
Beans
DC GFX Team
All-Pro

Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Uh-oh. Jaws and Tony? This should be interesting.

bonekrusher on the sig magic
Quote:
<beans> libid dont worry man i think fondling big black men is a perfectly worthy career goal
<JBond> laughing so hard I am crying
Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:24 AM    (permalink
21ST
Pro Bowler

21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thank you jesus
Old 03-26-2007, 07:39 AM    (permalink
TNewFan41
Veteran

TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.

ESPN sucks so it doesn't matter. Just don't listen to the announcers. All they say is "whoever scores the most points should win this game", and other crap like that. They are no experts.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:42 AM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We get it TNew, you hate ESPN. You don't need to be repeating trhis any time somone brings it up. That said, YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS, Jaws will make MNF much more interesting.

Rest in Peace, themaninblack
eaglesalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:06 AM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jaws is the best analyst with ESPN. I like this move
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:44 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Upgrade for sure.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:08 AM    (permalink
Vince Lombardi
Pro Bowler

Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

sweet! first Irvin, now Theisman, this is great news! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
i invite all of you to spam the board with moronic topics that aren't even vaguely entertaining. please.
Vince Lombardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:51 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Best news of the year.

Although I still dream of the day when I'll have the option of listening to just the game itself and the crowd. Screw anyone or anything else, that's all I want to hear.

Edit: Unless it's Kirk Herbstreit, the best analyst in sports, or Bill Parcells, who I love listening to.

Last edited by Geo : 03-26-2007 at 11:08 AM.
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:51 AM    (permalink
portermvp84
Pro Bowler

portermvp84 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I like Joe, they should get rid of Tony I hate him with the passion.

Thanks to jackalope
portermvp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 11:18 AM    (permalink
The Dynasty
Pro Bowler

The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Lombardi View Post
sweet! first Irvin, now Theisman, this is great news! :)
Yes it is a good day. Im not a big fan of Jaws but i like him more than Theisman. Id rather see them put up Steve Young.

Vikings | Yankees | Magic | Sabres | Chelsea FC | Alabama | St. Bonaventure
The Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 11:19 AM    (permalink
Bengals1690
Veteran

Bengals1690 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Bengals1690 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNewFan41 View Post
ESPN sucks so it doesn't matter. Just don't listen to the announcers. All they say is "whoever scores the most points should win this game", and other crap like that. They are no experts.

well they are right arent they? Whoever scores the most SHOULD win the game. Jaws will provide all the smarts, Tony will provide all the funniness, and Tirico has the play by play. It beats the hell outta listening to Madden saying "You see that block right there? Thats what you call a decleater. He just came up, and BOOM! knocked him right outta his cleats." And having to put up with al micheal's lame jokes. I really like this group on ESPN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythbusta View Post
i love my pedestal. thats why im the mythbusta.
who dey?
Bengals1690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 11:26 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mike Tirico and Steve Young would be the hotness. Maybe Kornheiser should get the boot also, keep it a 2-man operation like Tirico and Herbstreit on Thursday Night College Football (which was the best imo). Or perhaps bring in a former defensive player: Eric Allen is under contract with ESPN, and I always enjoy listening to him.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:46 AM    (permalink
alexschnarr
Rookie

alexschnarr hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

is it just me or do jaws and mortenson look like the same people, plus i hate jaws' glasses, and Geo your right steve young is the current hotness
alexschnarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 11:52 AM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Mike Tirico and Steve Young would be the hotness. Maybe Kornheiser should get the boot also, keep it a 2-man operation like Tirico and Herbstreit on Thursday Night College Football (which was the best imo). Or perhaps bring in a former defensive player: Eric Allen is under contract with ESPN, and I always enjoy listening to him.
What?!?!?! I hate Steve Young as an analyst. He stutters, is incoherent, and brings nothing to the table.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 11:52 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Words cannot describe my happiness right now.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 11:54 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

ESPN Radio confirms Jaws as the new addition to the cast, and I can't say I'm disappointed (especially considering how bad MNF has been for years). Jaws clearly knows what he's talking about, he watches the film every week, and speaks in a clear manner. Good move imo.

Plus, he's so ridiculously pro-Eagles, it's a riot. He's made picking the Eagles out of the ether an artform, go Jaws.

(That said, if ESPN were to replace Kornheiser for Dick Vermeil, that could do wonders. Jaws and Vermeil were dancing and jabbing when they worked on pre-season games together.)
Old 03-26-2007, 12:19 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The formula I'd like to see is this: Former player who still has connections with many current players and can offer insight based on that as well as knowledge of the game from a player's perspective, Former coach who has connections with coaches and GMs and can offer insight based on that as well as knowledge of the game from an X's and O's perspective, and a non-athlete not necessarily an ESPN guy either with a sense of humor who can be the glue between coach and player.

Are my expectations too high?
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 12:40 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward View Post
The formula I'd like to see is this: Former player who still has connections with many current players and can offer insight based on that as well as knowledge of the game from a player's perspective, Former coach who has connections with coaches and GMs and can offer insight based on that as well as knowledge of the game from an X's and O's perspective, and a non-athlete not necessarily an ESPN guy either with a sense of humor who can be the glue between coach and player.

Are my expectations too high?
Not at all, and that would be a perfect lineup. The only problem that I have with a lot of former players who become analysts is that they become apologists and let that get in the way of giving true, unbiased analysis.

Personally, I'd love to see Schlereth get more airtime, as I think he's one of the best analysts ESPN has. Plus, he actually get around to talking about what is going on in the trenches, something more analysts need to do.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:43 PM    (permalink
GiantRutgersFan
Veteran

GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well now the Giants and Eli Manning can get bashed even when they are on MNF, instead of just having Joe Buck bash em every Sunday afternoon.

And yea Sclareth is the best on NFL live.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:43 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

I'm not crazy about Schlereth, truth be told. I hear him talk, and rarely if ever think "Wow, he really said something. Glad I heard it."

Now Eric Allen, that's a different story all together. I always enjoy listening to him.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:47 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
I'm not crazy about Schlereth, truth be told. I hear him talk, and rarely if ever think "Wow, he really said something. Glad I heard it."

Now Eric Allen, that's a different story all together. I always enjoy listening to him.
Heh...maybe I just need to raise my standards for analysts then. The quality of commentators and analysts is so bad these days, that a "good" one, to me, is one that doesn't constantly say stupid ****.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:53 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

I'm just about sick and tired of the announcing crews that currently litter the landscape as well. Like I said earlier, if I could just listen to the action on the field and the crowd in the stands, in full glory, I gladly would.

I don't need some guy telling me who did what, it's a television not a damn radio. I can see it for myself. Just let me enjoy the game.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:56 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Jaws called the Saints preseason games a few years ago with Archie Manning, and I enjoyed the hell out of his announcing. Theismann was the most annoying guy on the MNF crew, and considering that the crew also included Tony F'N Kornheiser, that's saying something. Great move.
The Poster Formerly Known As #1SaintsFan

Sig by jkpigskin
TPFKA#1SaintsFan is offline   Reply With Quote