Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 03-09-2011, 03:10 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
Here's a question about LT Doug Free. I read that the Cowboys tendered him at the highest level which would require 1st and 3rd round draft picks in compensation but my question is - if the new CBA allows players to become UFA's after four seasons, wouldnt Free be an UFA this off-season?
If? Is that something you heard would happen or is that just an arbitrary number? My guess would that it wouldn't have an immediate effect on this year's FAs.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:36 AM    (permalink
UTPATS
Veteran

UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Surely they wouldn't put it into effect this year. NFL Network talked about some of the things that might happen would give teams some time to adjust to the new agreement.
UTPATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:26 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm saying four years because thats what it was the last two CBA's. I doubt the players would want to make it longer than that and if it stays at four years, I do think that it would affect players who would have normally been UFA's to begin with because why would the players union wait until next year? They're not going to do that because you mine as well just make it five or six seasons.

As a 49ers fan, im expecting it to be four years and to lose my starting FS Dashon Goldson in the process. I just think that teams tendered players in case there's a lockout or if the new CBA allows players to be UFA's after five or six years instead of four.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:13 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I mentioned this on the draft board, but what do you guys think of Signing Franklin from SF? He's a pretty decent NT and moving Rat out to DE would, in essence, fill two holes with one signing.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:02 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know we talk about Nnamdi a lot, but what do you guys think odds that Johnathan Joseph is actually free?

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:21 PM    (permalink
UTPATS
Veteran

UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mac, I don't what the likelihood is, but I like Joseph, if he can stay clean...
UTPATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:38 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I never gave Joseph much thought honestly. Love the player, think he can be a #1, but if we don't shell out big bucks I'd rather we go all in on interior offensive line and safety. If we could afford 2 safeties go for it, or 2 guards. I'd be willing to go into the season with the CB's we have if we could stock on up those other 2 positions.

Joseph is gonna get paid too, just not an all time deal like Aso will but huge money. I could see a team like the Lions being very interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:55 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Aso rumors are coming on strong. Looks like it's gonna be down to us or Philly, and if Jerry really wants him he won't get outbid by anyone except Washington. This does make our team look competely different if we are able to land him, especially helps when you have terrible safety play.

I really hope it gets down and gets front loaded, maybe signing him will speed up the process of getting rid of some of the dead weight on this team.

Quote:
Old 05-08-2011, 01:01 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Where are you hearing those rumors LL?
Old 05-08-2011, 02:13 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldnt read into anything right now with Aso or any FA. No one is really supposed to comment on anything. For all we know, there could be 12 teams interested in him. Schefter through out a few names, but that was speculation, more so than known team interest for sure.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:07 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
I wouldnt read into anything right now with Aso or any FA. No one is really supposed to comment on anything. For all we know, there could be 12 teams interested in him. Schefter through out a few names, but that was speculation, more so than known team interest for sure.
Schefter has a history of accurate reporting. He's not usually one to specifically name names of teams just for the sake of speculatory conversation.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:24 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sure when there isnt a lockout. No one should even be passing any info to him during the lockout. He just named "primary suitors". He was just naming the most logical teams. Right now, all his sources have to be dead silent.

Any free agent info you hear right now should be taken with a grain of salt. The whole FA structure has no foundation at the moment, no one knows how much they will have to spend, or who will even be available.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 05-08-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:43 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
Sure when there isnt a lockout. No one should even be passing any info to him during the lockout. He just named "primary suitors". He was just naming the most logical teams. Right now, all his sources have to be dead silent.

Any free agent info you hear right now should be taken with a grain of salt. The whole FA structure has no foundation at the moment, no one knows how much they will have to spend, or who will even be available.
Meh... You don't need a FA structure before you know which teams are interested. As for information passing, I won't assume to say nothing's happening. Dead silent? Doubtful. Teams aren't sitting idle just because there's a current lockout. You can guaran-damn-tee that there is a lot of post draft FA analysis going on now that teams have a chance to re-evaluate their needs. If his sources are feeding him info on how those evaluations are going, there's plenty of reason to believe in a guy who's got the reputation for being accurate on his reports.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:21 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Sure every team has plans regarding FA. They have for months. But the info wells are pretty damn dry regarding actual players, landing here or there. Its been an insanely slow news year for football. Teams aren't really sharing info with media outlets at all. FA itself is a haze, nothing is certain. And Schefter never said "according to my sources", he named primary suitors for Aso, the same teams that everyone has been naming. Teams that have potentially enough money and a need at CB. It's all just logical speculation. Nothing to get excited over.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 06-23-2011, 09:39 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here's my FA wish list. This is indeed if they change the eligibility for RFA's.

Our players to re-sign

Doug Free- HIGH PRIORITY
Kyle Kosier- MEDIUM PRIORITY
Stephen Bowen- MEDIUM PRIORITY
Gerald Sensabaugh- MEDIUM PRIORITY

FA's

G- Harvey Dahl
G- Logan Mankins
G- Carl Nicks
DE- Cullin Jenkins
DT- Aubrayo Franklin
CB- Nnamdi Asomugha
S- Dawan Landry
S- Michael Huff
S- Eric Weddle
K- David Akers
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:43 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

I'm reading more and more that Aso is a longshot. Whether or not you believe that is another story. My concern is that it sounds like Sensy is walking.

So we need 2 Safeties in one off-season :-/ Have no idea how we'll pull that off, which is why I wanted to draft at least ONE supposed starter there. Landry can play SS and Huff can play FS, but that's overkill to do that in one off-season.

That's not even taking into consideration Guard, which we probably need 1 really bad. I don't know if we have that type of money without letting alot of guys go. Who knows. But if we don't get 2 upgrades at both safety positions we'll be picking 15-20.

Quote:
Old 06-24-2011, 12:48 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Where are you hearing those rumors LL?
Sorry I never even saw this.

Quote:
ESPN's Adam Schefter lists the Eagles, Cowboys, Redskins, and Ravens as the primary suitors for Nnamdi Asomugha.
"And there will be more," Schefter adds. The Eagles and Cowboys have been connected to Asomugha since January, and the Redskins can never be ruled out of a high-profile free agent chase. The Ravens seem less likely to get involved after drafting Jimmy Smith. The Chargers, Texans, and Jets have also been mentioned as potential destinations. Related: Ravens, Cowboys, Redskins, Eagles

Quote:
The Dallas Morning News' Rainer Sabin speculates the Cowboys may make a big push for free agent Nnamdi Asomugha simply to keep him away from the Eagles.
Both clubs need to upgrade their secondaries, and figure to be two of Asomugha's most vigorous suitors. ESPN's Adam Schefter listed Dallas and Philadelphia as two of Asomugha's most likely destinations on Thursday, along with division rival Washington. Related: Cowboys

Those were in May. This is from June:

Quote:
Sports Illustrated's Peter King has the Eagles, Cowboys and Ravens as the three favorites for free agent Nnamdi Asomugha.
King could also see the Jets being interested "if they figure Antonio Cromartie is too big of a risk to sign long-term," and makes the case that Houston should make a run at the top available free agent. Ravens HC John Harbaugh admitted over the weekend that his team is at least keeping an eye on Asomugha. Related: Ravens, Cowboys, Eagles

Then Mosely came out with this recently:

Quote:
According to Fox Sports Southwest's Matt Mosley, it's a "long shot" that the Cowboys will end up signing free agent Nnamdi Asomugha.
Mosley got the info from a team insider as a response to the Cowboys' No. 2 ranking in the recent Asomugha sweepstakes from SI.com's Peter King. Dallas could use a lock-down corner, but they're expected to be up against the salary cap once the CBA is finalized. An Asomugha signing would necessitate cutting a handful of veterans while outbidding all other suitors. Related: Cowboys

So the only teams constantly linked to him are us and Philly. Not sure if we want 2 believe 1 or the other is more likely. I just know if we did get him we'd still have a ton of holes to fill.

Quote:
Old 06-24-2011, 01:16 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mosley actually said this on twitter.

I noticed Peter King had Cowboys No. 2 in Nnamdi sweepstakes. But I'm told by Cows' officials that's a LONG shot.

I'm gonna side with Mosley.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:23 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Interesting to note if FA goes back to 4 years a couple of names pop up.

Quote:
The pool at safety, a primary position of need, would become significantly deeper. San Diego's Eric Weddle, Chicago's Danieal Manning and Indianapolis' Melvin Bullitt are among the safeties who would have been restricted under last year's rules but would be free to test the open market under the new proposal.
I'm 99% sure we had all 3 players to dallas for workouts before the draft. Something to think about...I think we will take a look at Bullitt.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:00 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

I remember us looking at Weddle hard.

Also a name not brought up much, Davin Joseph. He's likely gonna walk, pretty high up there as far as best Guards available in FA.

Quote:
Old 06-28-2011, 01:01 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
Mosley actually said this on twitter.

I noticed Peter King had Cowboys No. 2 in Nnamdi sweepstakes. But I'm told by Cows' officials that's a LONG shot.

I'm gonna side with Mosley.
I'm gonna side with Jerry. You don't think that if he doesn't want Aso he won't get him? That's all that matters, I just like to follow the rumor mill. Money won't be an issue, it'll just be an issue as far as who else we could get outside of him.

Quote:
Old 06-29-2011, 06:39 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just some scrambled thoughts:

I'd love to sign Aso but my gut tells me it's not going to happen. Unfortunately I think our staff is holding out hope for Jenkins to be our future #1 and banking on a return to 2009 form. I think we avoid CB in FA altogether.

I'm still a little upset we didn't make a play for Atogwe when he hit the market, the rest of the FA safety crop is mostly JAGs. Weddle is a solid player and I'd be pretty happy with him, I'm just nervous we're going to settle for a cheap option like Abram Elam and use the excuse that he knows Rob's defense.

I'll post more a little later.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:10 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Ryan is gonna give his input on Michael Huff, it's a bad sign if we don't sign him for how sorry he really is because he's the obvious choice. He made some big plays last year; INT's, sacks, FF's, and his coverage improved. He's from Irving, TX, played with Ryan in Oakland for a few years, and the need for us is pretty obvious.

I think he's one of our highest rated targets, nothing to be excited for but an obvious upgrade over Alan Ball. But I think Sensy walks too, so we need another 1.

I'm really upset with the handling of the safety position since Darren Woodson has left. We didn't want to admit that Roy sucked for like 3-4 years, and then every year in the draft there is never a guy good enough to draft. I don't get it.

Yet Abram Elam managed to get away in all of this and go onto to be a really solid starting safety, while we are giving Alan Ball starting chances. Lol.

Quote:
Old 06-29-2011, 10:40 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It seems like Safety has been our top off-season need forever lol. Luckily next year's safety class looks to have some solid talent; Armstrong, Lester, McDonald, Whitley, etc. Hopefully we can finally invest in a blue chip safety.

On another note I'm not sure what we do with AOA, I just wish they gave him some PT last year even if he wasn't ready. The season was lost, it was a perfect situation to get him in there, ugh.

Last edited by TheFinisher : 06-29-2011 at 10:48 PM.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:54 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Anyone know, or know where to find out what our cap number is sitting at? Doesn't even have to be exact. Just curious what are some ideal targets since we'll have 120 on the cap.

Quote: