Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-26-2007, 06:35 PM    (permalink
Larry
Veteran

Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.

Dam I hate MNF, especially their new broadcasting crew.

Now SNF I can put up with.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:46 PM    (permalink
ks_perfection
Veteran

ks_perfection hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Whatever happened to that game in England?
ks_perfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:51 PM    (permalink
KCJ58
Icon

KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bears Vs. Chargers Should be a great game last years #1 D vs. #1 O

KCJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:38 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Packers get Lions on Turkey Day! :) WIN!

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:55 PM    (permalink
21ST
Pro Bowler

21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKmanN View Post
when is american thanksgiving?
November 22 this year
Old 03-26-2007, 08:27 PM    (permalink
Bengals1690
Veteran

Bengals1690 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Bengals1690 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersFan View Post
I like it, like it a lot. except MNF is showing some garbage. Bungles/Ravens was a terrible prime time game last season. and Cards/49ers? what the hell?

Bengals vs Ravens, how is that a bad game? One of the premier offenses vs a great D...I dont see how thats a bad game at all. AFC division rivals fighting for an early division lead? Both teams are super bowl caliber, maybe you should think about things before you type. Cards and 49ers are on the rise, and both could be playoff teams this year.

Im personally stoked about the games, all of them look great to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythbusta View Post
i love my pedestal. thats why im the mythbusta.
who dey?
Bengals1690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:45 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Ballsy, considering Old Man Favre is playing in a dome. That's a 50-50 proposition right there.
Also since we are 11-18-2 on Thanksgiving with a 4-11-1 record against the Lions.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:31 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

im prediction we see plenty of colts, saints, chargers, cowboys, and packers on plenty of prime time games this year....

i think jets@dallas will be a great game to watch, should be a tough one...i love interconference schedules though, i love that they do that...

and i think they wanted to open saints-colts because thats the super bowl everyone wanted to see(least when they did a poll on espn before the conf champ games were played) so here's to that wish, and ill be interested to see how much improvement colston, henderson, and bush show from one year to the next...is bush going to be the same back he was last year, or will he start to be patient and hit the holes harder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 02:30 AM    (permalink
Warhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan View Post
Saints:
391.5 Yards of Offense Per Game (1st in NFL)
25.8 Points Per Game (4th in NFL)
281.4 Passing Yards Per Game (1st)
110.1 Rushing Yards Per Game (tied for 18th)

Colts:
379.4 Yards of Offense Per Game (3rd in NFL)
26.7 Points Per Game (tied for 2nd in NFL)
269.3 Passing Yards Per Game (2nd)
110.1 Rushing Yards Per Game (tied for 18th)

Was it really a substantial margin? The numbers don't lie, and they look EXTREMELY close to me...
Yes, it was.

The Colts beat the top 6 scoring defenses in the NFL (and 8 of the top 10) between the regular season and the playoffs, and went 9-1 against top 10 scoring defenses. The best scoring defense the Saints beat was 15th ranked Philadelphia, and they went 0-4 against top 10 scoring defenses.

The Saints offense last season was a paper tiger, who ran up the score on weak teams.

The average scoring defense rank of teams New Orleans beat was over 20. The average scoring defense rank of teams Indianapolis beat was about 12.

Last edited by Warhawk : 03-27-2007 at 02:36 AM.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:21 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post
Yes, it was.

The Colts beat the top 6 scoring defenses in the NFL (and 8 of the top 10) between the regular season and the playoffs, and went 9-1 against top 10 scoring defenses. The best scoring defense the Saints beat was 15th ranked Philadelphia, and they went 0-4 against top 10 scoring defenses.

The Saints offense last season was a paper tiger, who ran up the score on weak teams.

The average scoring defense rank of teams New Orleans beat was over 20. The average scoring defense rank of teams Indianapolis beat was about 12.
That's not a fair analysis at all; quite honestly, it one of the more ridiculous attempts at proving a point that I've seen. We can only play the schedule we're given. Let's use a common opponent to compare... hmm, how about the #1 defense in the NFL last year?

We put up 403 yards of offense and scored 22 points against a Baltimore defense that ranked #1 in the NFL in both yards allowed (264.1) and in points allowed (12.6). How did the Colts do against Baltimore? 261 yards of offense, and no touchdowns scored.

Does this mean that New Orleans had a better offense than Indy by a "substantial margin?" Absolutely not. But it does prove that your method of comparison is faulty. How can anybody know that the Saints offense wouldn't have done the same, or even better, with Indy's schedule? Or Vice Versa?

By the way, it's a 16 game season, and New Orleans' offense was very consistent throughout; so no, we really didn't just run up the score on weak teams.

**Edit - after reading over your post a few more times, I just think you're confused. We are talking about the best offense, not the best TEAM.
The Poster Formerly Known As #1SaintsFan

Sig by jkpigskin
TPFKA#1SaintsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 03:43 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can't believe anyone would bring up the Baltimore game. The Ravens dismantled the Saints in their home dome and scored at least one touchdown on defense (Landry I definitely recall). I also believe Reggie Bush throw a pick in that game, if memory serves correct. The Saints managed to get some garbage time scores because the score was so out of reach.

Try going into Baltimore in mid-January and playing a team that thinks it's going to hoist the Lombardi trophy, and they could have, coming off of a bye week.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:47 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I can't believe anyone would bring up the Baltimore game. The Ravens dismantled the Saints in their home dome and scored at least one touchdown on defense (Landry I definitely recall). I also believe Reggie Bush throw a pick in that game, if memory serves correct. The Saints managed to get some garbage time scores because the score was so out of reach.

Try going into Baltimore in mid-January and playing a team that thinks it's going to hoist the Lombardi trophy, and they could have, coming off of a bye week.
I would be remiss without mentioning, the yards and points they got, were in garbage time. The Ravens dismantled the Saints offense.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 03:52 PM    (permalink
Phrost

Does anyone else think that Peyton Manning's head contributes a lot to his 6'5 height?
Old 03-27-2007, 03:58 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:

Both offenses played poorly against Baltimore's defense. I never said the Saints played well. We had 5 turnovers in that game. The difference is, we were able to move the ball very well on offense. Their defense couldn't stop us from moving the ball, but we shot ourselves in the foot with some very poor decisions from Brees and a bad playcall for Reggie. We managed to get ONE garbage time score, by the way. If you want to discount that score, fine, take it away and we still scored 2 touchdowns, compared to Indy's 0. Indy's defense and special teams played great and won them the game, but you're dead wrong if you think our offense didn't fare much, much better against the Ravens than Indy's. Their offense got shut down. We made a bunch of mistakes and took ourselves out of the game.

Sig by jkpigskin
Old 03-27-2007, 04:39 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/gamebo...0061029_BAL@NO

The score was 28-7 at halftime, 35-7 at the start of the 4th quarter until the Saints put up 15 points. Brees threw 3 touchdowns, but he also threw 3 picks - 2 of which were returned for touchdowns by Prude and Landry. Brees threw for 383 yards, but that's because he aired it out for a ridiculous 45 times, and was sacked twice. The Ravens said all week they'd put hot sauce on hits on Reggie Bush and he practically folded like a lawn chair (5 carries for 16 yards, 11 of which came on one run); Duece didn't any better, with 5 carries for 11 yards. The Saints had 17 total first downs, 13 from passing and 4 from penalty, and converted 6 of 14 (43%) third downs. TOP was absurdly 36:46 in favor of the Ravens, 23:14 for the home team Saints. Mind you, the Saints were coming off a bye week.

http://www.superbowl.com/gamecenter/...070113_IND@BAL

The Ravens again talked all week about putting hot sauce on Joseph Addai, and he drew blood from a stone getting 39 yards on 18 carries. With 7 or 8 minutes left in the game, the Colts buried the Ravens with a final drive mainly consisting of the OL and Dom Rhodes (14-56) running down their throats. Manning threw 2 picks, although the second was on 3rd and stupid long and proved to be better than a Hunter Smith punt, and he was only sacked once. The Colts had 15 total first downs without the benefit of garbage time/scores, 6 from rushing and 9 from passing (none form penalties). They converted on 8 of 19 third downs (42%). Colts scored 5 FGs on 5 FG attempts, and held the ball for 31:24 compared to the Ravens' 28:36.

The Saints turning the ball over, especially in the red zone, is a big reason why they aren't the better offense. They ran up and down the field against Cincinnati at home, but stupid turnovers cost them the game, whereas the Colts methodically jabbed the Bengals to submission in their MNF matchup, for another example.

Football Outsiders, producers of fantastic football metrics, ranks the two offenses as follows:

Code:
TEAM     TOT OFF    WEIGHTED   OVERALL    PASS    PASS     RUSH     RUSH
         DVOA       OFF DVOA   RANK       OFF     RANK     OFF      RANK
IND      33.8%      35.8%      1          56.7%   1        7.5%     6 
NO       13.7%      16.7%      5          22.9%   4        2.7%     10
Quote:
The majority of the ratings featured on FootballOutsiders.com are based on DVOA, or Defense-adjusted Value Over Average. DVOA breaks down every single play of the NFL season to see how much success offensive players achieved in each specific situation compared to the league average in that situation, adjusted for the strength of the opponent.

Imagine two running backs who each gain three yards. Player A gains three yards under a set of circumstances where the average NFL running back gains only two yards (for example, third-and-1), it can be argued that Player A has a certain amount of value above others at his position. Likewise, if Player B gains three yards on a play where, under similar circumstances, an average NFL back would be expected to gain five yards (for example, second-and-15), it can be argued that Player B has negative value relative to others at his position.

Once we have all our adjustments, we can find the difference between this player's success and the expected success of an average running back in the same situation (or between this defense and the average defense in the same situation, etc.). Add up every play by a certain team or player, divide by the total baseline for success in all those situations, and you get VOA, or Value Over Average.

Of course, the biggest variable in football is the fact that each team plays a different schedule. By adjusting each play based on the defense's average success in stopping that type of play over the course of a season, we get DVOA, or Defense-adjusted Value Over Average. Rushing and passing plays are adjusted based on down and location on the field; receiving plays are also adjusted based on how the defense performs against passes to running backs, tight ends, and wide receivers. Defenses are adjusted based on the average success of the offenses they are facing. (Yes, this is still called DVOA, for the sake of simplicity.)
Old 03-27-2007, 05:56 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

You can post every piece of analysis in the world, it doesn't change the fact that the Saints moved the ball better against the Ravens than the Colts did. Just go back and watch the two games without bias.

And since when is 18 seconds into the fourth quarter considered garbage time? At that point, the Saints were down 21 points. Who packs it in when they're only up 21 with a whole quarter left in the game? That's plenty of time for a comeback. Hell, the Saints scored 21 in a quarter twice against Dallas, in the same game.

If you want to take away the garbage time TD, fine. We still put up 356 yards of offense and 2 touchdowns vs. Indy's 261 and 0.

Whether you want to agree or disagree really doesn't matter to me. The Saints moved the ball against Baltimore with greater ease and success, and neither the game film nor the numbers lie.

I'm not using examples to prove the Saints offense was better than Indy's; hell, I'm not sure that I even believe that. It's just idiotic to say that one is better than the other by a "substantial margin."

Sig by jkpigskin
Old 03-27-2007, 06:48 PM    (permalink
Chief49er
Rookie

Chief49er could make a wolverine purr.Chief49er could make a wolverine purr.Chief49er could make a wolverine purr.Chief49er could make a wolverine purr.Chief49er could make a wolverine purr.Chief49er could make a wolverine purr.

The Niners playing host to the Cards should be fun to watch.

Young, up and coming teams playing their hearts out.

Look for Vernon Davis's first 100 yard game!!!

WOOT!

GO NINERS!
Old 03-27-2007, 06:50 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cardinals vs 49ers on Monday Night? Are you f*ing kidding me?

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:51 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetness34 View Post
Cardinals vs 49ers on Monday Night? Are you f*ing kidding me?

Yeaaaaaaaaaaah....

Sig by jkpigskin
Old 03-27-2007, 06:59 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

You of all people should know the Cardinals can put on a show on Monday Night Football, sweetness.

Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin in primetime: good thing the 49ers signed Nate Clements.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:15 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
You of all people should know the Cardinals can put on a show on Monday Night Football, sweetness.

Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin in primetime: good thing the 49ers signed Nate Clements.
Doesn't change the fact that we have a 5-11 team taking on a 7-9 team...

It's not like either team has been any good within the last 3 years and are just coming of a down year, either. I think they are both on the rise, but this isn't really the headline matchup you would expect for the Monday Night Football season opener.

Sig by jkpigskin
Old 03-27-2007, 07:28 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So when is the full schedule supposed to come out?

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:43 PM    (permalink
indyfan1985
Veteran

indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sveen View Post
Looking forward to seeing the Colts getting beaten at home ;)
Haha maybe if Peyton gets injured then you got a shot. It not, he's going to torch your secondary.

indyfan1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:46 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan View Post
Doesn't change the fact that we have a 5-11 team taking on a 7-9 team...

It's not like either team has been any good within the last 3 years and are just coming of a down year, either. I think they are both on the rise, but this isn't really the headline matchup you would expect for the Monday Night Football season opener.
Considering the second of last year's double-header featured the Chargers and the Raiders, which was as we all know a beatdown of the highest order, I'd say watching the Cardinals and 49ers go at it is definitely an improvement. I don't know what the exact scores are, but the last few years has seen some competitive and/or high scoring games between the division rivals.

Coincidentally, we'll see Matt Leinart playing the team he spurned as a junior.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:02 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So you've got the Bears/Chargers sitting right there, and you put the Cardinals and 49ers on the first Monday Night Game? Ok, I can see them playing there later on in the year, but this is a marquee matchup and it deserves to be in primetime IMO.

(Watch the Cards/Niners game be absolutely incredible now that I've just said they don't deserve to be on MNF, haha).

Eh oh well, I'm sure we'll have our share of MNF games this season.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote