Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Indianapolis Colts Team Forum

Indianapolis Colts Team Forum Discuss the Colts

Old 02-11-2011, 10:28 PM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischbowl View Post
Recent Forum Mock

1) Nate Solder, OT, Colorado
2) Mark Herzlich, LB, Boston College
3) Johnny Patrick, CB, Louisville
4) Zach Hurd, G, UConn
5) Martin Parker, DT, Richmond
6) Joe Lefeged, S, Rutgers
7) Derek Newton, OT, Arkansas State

Players I was targeting Rounds 6-7

Drake Nevis and Christian Ballard were taken before my pick in the 2nd and I had tried to trade for a few veteran DTs but to no avail.

I'm not as low on Solder as others on this forum I would value Sherrod higher than Solder.

Backer isn't really a need for the Colts. If we resign Session then we are fine. If we don't Kavell Conner played very well in his absence and all the team would need to do is bring in depth. While I'm a big fan of Herzlich (it's hard not to be after what he came back from) I don't like the pick.

Do we really need to draft the 7th CB on our depth chart in the 3rd Round?

4) Zach Hurd, G, UConn

I quite like Hurd. I think he could even start further down the line in the NFL. He isn't NFL ready yet (but this in the 4th round you'd struggle to find someone who is). Maybe a little high but nothing to get overally annoyed at.

Quite like the pick. Good value for Parker, he can rush the passer from the interior of the line, something the Colts have been missing for a while now.

Really like this pick. Bit of steal (I have Lefeged currently rated as about a 4th Round pick), can provide depth at both Safety positions and give the team a dynamic kick returner.

My only problem with this pick is that I question how much depth we need on the O-Line. We have already drafted a LT. That means we have 4 OT on the roster. Even if we play CJ at RT and cut Diem I feel that Linkenbach is a good enough backup at both T spots. Similarly inside we have a couple of guys (Jamey Richard, Jaimie Thomas, McClendon) so I don't think we need to address OL depth this year.

So overall hit and miss. 4-7 were pretty good. Good fits, good value but 1-3 rounds really hit the draft badly.

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

In Baseball the object is to go home and be safe.
Seamus2602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:38 PM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With Polian you get a lot of WTF moments. But the do, largely speaking, work out more often than not. I don't normally watch into the later stages of the draft (I check back every now and then) but I would watch the first 3 rounds. And the 2009 Draft sticks in my mind. A lot of people where predicting the Brown pick but the general consensus was that we were taking a UConn player (either Beatty or Brown). So I wasn't that shocked when he pulled the trigger on Brown. In the 2nd Round it was generally accepted that we were either going to take Sen'Derrick Marks or Fili Moala. So again that wasn't a surprise either. But then there was the real WTF moment. The team had just paid Kelvin Hayden a huge new contract, we had Jackson returning from injury, a couple of other players like Tim "first down" Jennings but still had players there. And Polian (in the third round, a round you should be getting a potential starter in) pulls the trigger on a 6th round rated CB prospect. Turned out pretty well and Powers is our best Cornerback and if he can stay healthy he is a potential pro bowler.

So what do we all know?

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

In Baseball the object is to go home and be safe.
Seamus2602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:14 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischbowl View Post
Recent Forum Mock

4) Zach Hurd, G, UConn

Players I was targeting Rounds 6-7

Drake Nevis and Christian Ballard were taken before my pick in the 2nd and I had tried to trade for a few veteran DTs but to no avail.
Too much early investment in not OL. I'm really hoping the team will go 2 OTs and an OG in the first 3 rounds of the draft and pick up a 4th OL on Day 3. Lb and CB are positions of non-need, but I like Herzlich, and a Herzlich-Angerer-Session or Herzlich-Angerer-Conner LB corps in 2-3 years would be interesting. CB is a no-no though, not with (at minimum) Powers, Hayden, Tryon, Lacey, and Thomas guaranteed a roster spot. DT and S are secondary needs, and a guy like Ahmad Black in round 3 or so would be amazing, but when drafting for the Colts this year, the right answer is OL.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Last edited by Dam8610 : 02-12-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:32 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would really like to go Carimi in the first and best player available of OL, DT, and SS in the 2nd.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:45 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bob Sanders just got cut. Bummer. I was hoping for a minimal contract with performance incentives. If he goes to another team and kicks ass I will be very upset.

i done stole dis sig
Old 02-18-2011, 04:50 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What could have been. That's the only statement that comes to my mind after this news.

No one should forget the contribution that he made to the Super Bowl run, but his career in Indy was disappointing.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:58 PM    (permalink
colts_fan8818
Rookie

colts_fan8818 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

While it is sad to see Sanders go I think it is good that it happened. The guy hasn't done anything for us in the last couple of years and hopefully we can draft a replacement for him. Now Polian just needs to cut Gonzo, Diem and Saturday.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:52 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

I am all for cutting Diem (or restructuring to a much lower deal and moving him to guard but that seems unlikely), and I would be ok with letting Saturday go as I don't think his football smarts make up for his physical limitations anymore. But Gonzo is fairly cheap and is still a very good receiver when healthy. His last two injuries were a freak tendon tear with zero contact and an injury caused by Bernard Pollard riding him to the ground out of bounds and landing on his shoulder. I would give him another year to compete with the starters, especially since he was apparently healthy enough to come back at the end of the year despite being IRed.

i done stole dis sig
Old 02-22-2011, 04:49 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colts_fan8818 View Post
While it is sad to see Sanders go I think it is good that it happened. The guy hasn't done anything for us in the last couple of years and hopefully we can draft a replacement for him. Now Polian just needs to cut Gonzo, Diem and Saturday.
I'd be on board with one of those three moves. Diem should be cut, he's been awful for a while now, but some semblance of this OL has to remain in the transition period, and IMO Saturday is the best OL the team has as of now (though that might not be the case for long as he continues to decline due to age), and should be able to give the team one more decent year. As for Gonzo, are you mad? He's cheap, and before the injury bug struck what was looking like a promising career down, he was flourishing into a potential replacement for Wayne as the #1 WR down the road. I doubt he has that potential anymore after 2 major injuries, but for how cheap he is, it can't possibly hurt to see what he has left in the tank. At this point it's not like he's being counted on for any production, so anything he adds would be a bonus.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
Old 02-23-2011, 10:04 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Colts claim DT DeMario Pressley off waivers from Houston.

http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=ar...0-598a51a2cb7d

One of the top recruits in the nation, he never lived up to the hype, but he has plenty of talent. Might be an interesting signing.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:23 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

I have zero expectations. At least he is 300 lbs.

i done stole dis sig
Old 02-24-2011, 12:40 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
I have zero expectations. At least he is 300 lbs.
Expectations shouldn't be high, but hopes maybe? The guy has talent, maybe Teerlinck can finally bring it out of him.

Quote:
Old 02-24-2011, 12:59 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Expectations shouldn't be high, but hopes maybe? The guy has talent, maybe Teerlinck can finally bring it out of him.
My hopes are that he finally grows up and realizes some of the potential he showed when he was a top recruit out of high school. I have my doubts but maybe someone will have the right kind of "this is your last chance" kind of conversation and the light will come on for him. At least it's a low risk situation.

i done stole dis sig
Old 02-24-2011, 01:01 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
My hopes are that he finally grows up and realizes some of the potential he showed when he was a top recruit out of high school. I have my doubts but maybe someone will have the right kind of "this is your last chance" kind of conversation and the light will come on for him. At least it's a low risk situation.
Exactly, very much a low risk/high reward scenario.

Quote:
Old 02-25-2011, 02:37 PM    (permalink
falloutboy14
Veteran

falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Doing a forum mock here & so far I've picked:
1) Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State
2) Danny Watkins, OG, Baylor
3) Jurrell Casey, DT, USC
Ideally I see Sherrod at LT. Watkins, McClendon, DeVann, Pollack, & Saturday competing for the 2 G & C spots, with Johnson & Linkenbach competing for the RT spot. The time needs to come where Saturday isn't handed the C spot. I've heard Mayock suggest that Watkins can play RT as well as G too, so maybe he ends up there.

Casey seems like he can progress into a good run stuffer.

Was hoping Carimi would fall, so we could put him at RT and really improve the run blocking for 1/2 the line. All things considered I'm pretty pleased though.
falloutboy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:10 AM    (permalink
colts_fan8818
Rookie

colts_fan8818 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falloutboy14 View Post
Doing a forum mock here & so far I've picked:
1) Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State
2) Danny Watkins, OG, Baylor
3) Jurrell Casey, DT, USC
Ideally I see Sherrod at LT. Watkins, McClendon, DeVann, Pollack, & Saturday competing for the 2 G & C spots, with Johnson & Linkenbach competing for the RT spot. The time needs to come where Saturday isn't handed the C spot. I've heard Mayock suggest that Watkins can play RT as well as G too, so maybe he ends up there.

Casey seems like he can progress into a good run stuffer.

Was hoping Carimi would fall, so we could put him at RT and really improve the run blocking for 1/2 the line. All things considered I'm pretty pleased though.
If we ended up with Sherrod, Watkins and Casey in the 1st 3 rounds I would be ecstatic. They all fill needed positions and the value is good on them. Hopefully that's what ends up happening.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:19 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

That would be awesome.

I'm surprised Casey was still there in the 3rd for you.

But I can definitely see a talented DL falling with such a deep DL class.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:56 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

And now for a swift kick to the balls, Bob Sanders signs with San Diego. You know he'll be healthy all year and get DPOY again.

i done stole dis sig
Old 03-08-2011, 02:48 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
And now for a swift kick to the balls, Bob Sanders signs with San Diego. You know he'll be healthy all year and get DPOY again.
The Colts released him after not being willing to release him last year after consecutive seasons spent mostly on IR, plus they have the most comprehensive medical on him I'm sure. If this comes back to bite the Colts in the butt I'll be shocked.

Quote:
Old 03-21-2011, 10:23 AM    (permalink
Dunta_23
Rookie

Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hey Guys...

Im involved in a forum mock draft representing the AFC South. I came here and read that you guys really need OL so with that in mind this is what Ive done so far....

1. Derek Sherrod, T, Miss St
2. Drake Nevis, DT, LSU
3. Orlando Franklin, G, Miami

What do you guys think? Any particular guys I should be looking for in rounds 4-7?
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:28 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

That is a pretty solid mock. I would look for a SS as we need a starter, Tyler Sash if he is available or the SS from OSU in a later round like 6. Also some good special teams coverage players would be nice.

i done stole dis sig
Old 03-21-2011, 11:47 AM    (permalink
falloutboy14
Veteran

falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's not far off of the mock I did, it's a few pots up. I don't think anyone here will argue with getting starters for the O-line and DT, as long as it's not Solder.

For the next rounds, keep an eye out for WR as well. Greg Salas from Hawaii seems like a Collie clone. Very productive in college, looks like he could do wonders over the middle. With Gonzo & Collie as 2 of our WRs, think we need to carry 6 so we have depth if injuries happen.

Another WR I've kept an eye on is Vincent Brown from SD st. He killed at the senior bowl, but ran a 4.7 at the combine so tough to say where he should go in the draft. If he's there when we pick in 5th or 6th, I'd take him. He's returned kicks as well.
falloutboy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:39 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

WR isn't a big priority. But if they do pick one, I would like a deep threat burner.

Wayne, Collie, Gonzo, Clark, Tamme, we have PLENTY of good route-runners that consistently pick up the intermediate yardage. But we only have 1 true deep threat, Garcon and he is kind of inconsistent.

Our offense is at it's best when safeties have to respect the deep ball.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:00 PM    (permalink
Revil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
WR isn't a big priority. But if they do pick one, I would like a deep threat burner.

Wayne, Collie, Gonzo, Clark, Tamme, we have PLENTY of good route-runners that consistently pick up the intermediate yardage. But we only have 1 true deep threat, Garcon and he is kind of inconsistent.

Our offense is at it's best when safeties have to respect the deep ball.
I would have to disagree with some of that. With Collie's and Gonzalez' injury history, and considering three WRs are entering a contract year, and with Reggie turning 33, I would say it's a pretty big priority.

I suppose I half agree on Garcon; I don't believe he's much of a deep threat at all.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:38 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

It depends on which Garcon decides to play. He can be deadly when he is focused and catches the ball.

i done stole dis sig