Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 03-29-2011, 09:16 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default NFLN's "Playmakers" - Gabbert & Ponder

Thoughts:

Now I know why Mariucci keeps getting HC gigs, he's really an exceptional QB coach and has a rare understanding of the position.

Ponder is becoming more of a mystery to me in that I have no idea how good he can be as a pro. He looked solid in his unofficial competition against Gabbert and oftentimes out-executed the golden child in drills. However Mooch seemed inclined to give Gabby the 'warm stroke' to remind him he's the top ranked QB heading into the draft.

The most ironic moment IMO during the first episode was towards the end when Mooch broke down each of their respective game film.
Gabbert doesn't have many highlight plays passing the football to speak of this past season, so Mariucci plays one of the few clips where most of us have seen, I think against Illinois, Gabbert set in the pocket, bolt into the LOS without any pressure on him, spot a WR open in a busted coverage and throws a TD strike.

Mariucci asks him point blank, 'why did you run there?' Gabbert has no answer and admits sheepishly that he ran too soon(!!). Duh.

(I ran because getting hit hurts a lot, coach!!lol)

Mooch replies that's a habit Gabbert will have to break in the pros, I forgot how he worded it exactly.

'Playmakers' is a great predraft series from what I've seen so far and provides another glimpse into the physical and psychological dynamics of the top prospects.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:23 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Damn! I missed it. I wanted to watch it. It looked good.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll try to catch it on the replay

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:28 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

From the preview clips I've seen, Michael Irvin could be if he wanted the greatest WR coach in the history of the NFL!!!

Dude played angry and coaches the same way.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:32 PM    (permalink
the natural
Veteran

the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural

Funny thing was Ponder ragging Gabbert in the background. First about playing in the spread, then about dropping his eyes when he took off. Looks like Chris has been reading all the scouting reports. Ponder finding the soft spots on his buddy. Gabbert was cool though. Handled it flawlessly.
the natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:48 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
Thoughts:

Now I know why Mariucci keeps getting HC gigs, he's really an exceptional QB coach and has a rare understanding of the position.

Ponder is becoming more of a mystery to me in that I have no idea how good he can be as a pro. He looked solid in his unofficial competition against Gabbert and oftentimes out-executed the golden child in drills. However Mooch seemed inclined to give Gabby the 'warm stroke' to remind him he's the top ranked QB heading into the draft.

The most ironic moment IMO during the first episode was towards the end when Mooch broke down each of their respective game film.
Gabbert doesn't have many highlight plays passing the football to speak of this past season, so Mariucci plays one of the few clips where most of us have seen, I think against Illinois, Gabbert set in the pocket, bolt into the LOS without any pressure on him, spot a WR open in a busted coverage and throws a TD strike.

Mariucci asks him point blank, 'why did you run there?' Gabbert has no answer and admits sheepishly that he ran too soon(!!). Duh.

(I ran because getting hit hurts a lot, coach!!lol)

Mooch replies that's a habit Gabbert will have to break in the pros, I forgot how he worded it exactly.

'Playmakers' is a great predraft series from what I've seen so far and provides another glimpse into the physical and psychological dynamics of the top prospects.
Cant you see the network going to Mooch and saying "we need to be on the same page here boy, we are trying to sell Gabbert as the top pick"
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:56 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He is gonna be Alex Smith all over again.Just watch.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:05 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
Just hope he's gone by #7.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:37 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
Just hope he's gone by #7.
I frigging hope so god dam it!I could not stand another 6 years of crap QB play!And if he is by god I hope we trade drown.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:40 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:
I frigging hope so god dam it!I could not stand another 6 years of crap QB play!And if he is by god I hope we trade drown.
It's called Karma for all the years with Montana and Young.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:07 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

Quote:
....LOL@@!!
Old 03-29-2011, 11:18 PM    (permalink
the natural
Veteran

the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural

Don't worry, Gabbert will be long gone before the Left Coast Losers step up to the mike.
the natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:07 AM    (permalink
FuzzyGopher
Pro Bowler

FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There was some good stuff in there, I can't wait to see the rest of the episodes. It's called "Game Changers" btw.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:11 AM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

mmm Gabbert on the white board
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:16 AM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah jake locker has no similarities to alex smith - lets take him!

Quote:
One of the funniest posts i've read
king2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:02 AM    (permalink
alexthegr8
Rookie

alexthegr8 could make a wolverine purr.alexthegr8 could make a wolverine purr.alexthegr8 could make a wolverine purr.alexthegr8 could make a wolverine purr.alexthegr8 could make a wolverine purr.alexthegr8 could make a wolverine purr.alexthegr8 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
From the preview clips I've seen, Michael Irvin could be if he wanted the greatest WR coach in the history of the NFL!!!

Dude played angry and coaches the same way.
I can't wait for the WR episode. Irvin clowning Revis was priceless. "He's this tall" *while raising his hand slightly above chest level* Fantastic stuff.

Yesterday's show was AWESOME. Both qb's were personable, they came off as very intelligent and Mooch brings the type of passion and quirkiness that makes for compelling tv. Very good idea imo by the people at NFL Network.

Last edited by alexthegr8 : 03-30-2011 at 11:07 AM.
alexthegr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:08 PM    (permalink
McGahee
Rookie

McGahee is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairMcGahee is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairMcGahee is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairMcGahee is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairMcGahee is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairMcGahee is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairMcGahee is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairMcGahee is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairMcGahee is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairMcGahee is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairMcGahee is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Does anyone know where you can find videos for the episodes? I've seen a short clip for Gabbert and Ponder, are there any others circulating out there?
McGahee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:16 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have very few problems with Gabbert, he will be a solid pro IMO. On the other hand, I don't see Ponder moving up too far, round 2 guy who has a small shot at becoming a starter.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:46 PM    (permalink
Big Bird
Rookie

Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
I have very few problems with Gabbert, he will be a solid pro IMO. On the other hand, I don't see Ponder moving up too far, round 2 guy who has a small shot at becoming a starter.
Ponder looked so much better in this, has less flaws; much more technically sound. Ponder does belong in the 2nd in my opinion, but he does remind me a good amount of Kevin Kolb physically.
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:07 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
Ponder looked so much better in this, has less flaws; much more technically sound. Ponder does belong in the 2nd in my opinion, but he does remind me a good amount of Kevin Kolb physically.
Few 2nd round QB's ever amount to anything, the last ones who surprised was Favre/Brees, Favre came from a small school and was relatively unknown and Brees was very short.
Kolb has yet to prove he will be special, not saying he won't be but he hasn't really proved himself as yet.
The odds for Ponder, if he goes in round 2, suggest he will have a really hard time becoming anything special in the NFL.
If teams really believe Ponder has a real shot to be a starter, you will see him taken in round 1 even if it means some team trades back into round 1 to get him. If he remains a 2nd rounder, it doesn't bode well for his future.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:10 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:
Ponder would probably fall into that category with guys like Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer, guys who can get you to the Superbowl if you have all the other pieces in place. (as in a great defense)
Old 03-30-2011, 06:40 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Ponder would probably fall into that category with guys like Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer, guys who can get you to the Superbowl if you have all the other pieces in place. (as in a great defense)
I don't think that theory is solid anymore. There are just too many franchise QB's in the league today for any team to expect its defense alone to carry them to the SB. It has become pretty rare for a team lacking a franchise QB to even make the playoffs nevermind going all the way.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:50 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:
I don't think that theory is solid anymore. There are just too many franchise QB's in the league today for any team to expect its defense alone to carry them to the SB. It has become pretty rare for a team lacking a franchise QB to even make the playoffs nevermind going all the way.
What would Mark Sanchez be called if he made it to the Superbowl, he's hardly what i would call a franchise QB at this point.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:08 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
What would Mark Sanchez be called if he made it to the Superbowl, he's hardly what i would call a franchise QB at this point.
He is well on his way similar to Roethlisber and has shown the ability to come up big in important games. I fully expect him to break out next season and I believe Ryan does as well.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:27 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I trust Jim Harbaugh to make a superb decision regarding a QB. If nothing else, I completely think Harbaugh won't screw up the QB spot.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:35 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
What has solidified that decision for you? Was it the youtube videos?

Anyone that questions Gabbert's toughness needs to watch the Nebraska game from 2009 and 2010. Dude got hammered, but kept playin, heck Suh pretty much broke his Ankle in 2009, you've probably all seen the play....and Gabbert didn't miss one snap.