Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Miami Dolphins Team Forum

Miami Dolphins Team Forum Discuss the 'Phins

Old 04-29-2011, 08:50 AM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-Pro

Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pouncey it is. As much as I think its a reach, it fills what I considered our top need with the player that most think is the best in this draft so I can live with it. Sucks we couldn't make a trade. Only having one pick on day two sucks, tonight is where the true value of this draft lies.

sig by BoneKrusher
Grizzlegom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:40 PM    (permalink
thebow305
2009 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlegom View Post
Pouncey it is. As much as I think its a reach, it fills what I considered our top need with the player that most think is the best in this draft so I can live with it. Sucks we couldn't make a trade. Only having one pick on day two sucks, tonight is where the true value of this draft lies.
Agreed my friend, as usual. :)

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
thebow305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:50 AM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-Pro

Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thus far, it appears that Ireland's constant harping on speed in all his interviews and stuff was smokescreen cause we're still following the bigger is better Bill Parcells blueprint. Not gonna lie, when I saw we traded up I was freaking out, then I saw the terms of the deal and I was significantly less freaking out, then I saw that we took Daniel Thomas and not Mallett and my freaking outedness turned into bliss. After LeShoure, Thomas and Todman were the two backs I was in love with so I'm happy to come away with one of them.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-30-2011, 10:25 AM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For Pouncey, on the downside, I don't like him as a person and I will NEVER endorse an interior lineman in the Top 15. On the plus side, I think he definitely solidifies the entire offensive line as a whole, and for anyone that watched the Phins between last season and the season before could see how far our line fell off in between. We gutted the line last year and it was never the same. This should be a big step towards getting it back in that 2009-2010 level.

As for Thomas, I really like the player and I don't think it was a reach as he probably went right around where he should have. What I do have a problem with is giving away picks for him when there's a solid chance he would have been there at 79 and if not, there were still PLENTY of good backs we didn't have to give draft picks away for. However, He's probably one the most complete backs that were available at that spot and while I also really liked guys like Kendall Hunter, Jordan Todman, Taiwan Jones and Jacquizz Rodgers, I realize that each of those guys probably would have been much bigger risks in the first 3 rounds than Daniel Thomas. Each of them with the exception of Taiwan are under 5'9", and there are just not a ton of guys in the league that have been successfull at that size. As for Taiwan, I REALLY wanted him, Mallett or Hankerson when we traded up, but I see why they probably didn't want to place the reins of the backfield on someone who's still pretty slight, coming from a D2 school with not a lot of experience at the running back position. He's the homerun hitter we need, but he's probably not a starting running back in the NFL, at least not yet.

I definitely feel like I wanted Mallett at 62 because at that point I felt he was definitely worth the risk. But after talking with a buddy of mine, I came away thinking we have a VERY young offense and not so sure we have the infrastructure built with the uncertainty surrounding the QB position, the front office and the rebuilding of the backfield position to support a guy with such question marks surrounding him. When you sit back and look at the way they play, there's really not a HUGE difference between Chad Henne and Mallett and without the right enviroment to succeed, there's a good chance they both end up being the same player. And what would have been the point of going down that road.

As for Hankerson, I would've LOVED to pair him with Hankerson (who btw Washington took with our pick at 79) and give Henne a better chance to succeed, then take a TE and RB to surround him with in the 4th and 5th.

But overall I think we added two solid football players that WILL help this team, not the most exciting picks, but that's not who we are. And regardless of what these guys in the FO say every offseason, they always do the opposite so we're going to have to just keep that in mind from now on.

That being said, I hope we add some nice players here on Day 3. Guys like Quiz Rodgers, Taiwan Jones, Ricky Stanzi, Kendall Hunter, Edmond Gates, Noel Devine, Sam Acho, Tandon Doss, Virgil Green, D.J. Williams and Dwayne Harris could all be big time players and playmakers for us. Let's go get em!

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
Old 05-01-2011, 09:19 AM    (permalink
dolfan75071
Rookie

dolfan75071 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Here are my thoughts on this draft.

What good is it to add a center that is athletic but not powerful when we're a power running team? What good is adding a speedy receiver if our QB can't hit him unless he's within 10 yards of him? What good is a RB that makes a lot of 10 to 20 yard runs if at the end of the play he fumbles? Believe me, if he had 6 fumbles last yr in college he'll have a whole lot more in the pros. He better get better at holding onto the ball.

So if we'd picked Ingram 1st, had the same move up and picked Mallett, then stayed Gates in the 4th we could keep Clay in the 6th and keep Kearse in the 7th and pick Derrick Locke RB (change of pace back) with our last pick. With that draft I would have been screaming for joy intead of screaming mad. AND we could have had it. THEN instead of trying to pick up a has been QB from another team and trading away more draft picks from next yrs draft (God please do not let them do that) we could have just got OL from free agency. THAT makes a whole more sense to me. We would have had a QB for many years to come and could have kept building from that. This coaching staff and GM screwed us out of the excitement Mr. Ross promised. I hope I am wrong but I doubt it. I give Irealnd and Co a C- for this draft. Sorry fellow Dolphin fans but we will be rebuilding yet again next yr.
dolfan75071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:57 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I liked the positions we addressed. The value of all the guys was about right. I liked the aggressiveness of moving up and getting the guys they wanted. The players definitely fit scheme wise. I just HATE Pouncey and Thomas. I think both can be solid players (Thomas less so than Pouncey), but screw solid players in the 1st and 2nd round. Really like the Gates and Clay picks though.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:53 AM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-Pro

I'm REALLY happy with this draft personally. As I've stated, I want to give Henne another shot and we finally went out and got some pieces for it. I thought interior line was our biggest need and we got the best one in this draft, Thomas was one of three backs that were on my 'man-crush' list so I was ecstatic to come away with him, Gates might have been my favorite pick of them all, finally a freaking deep threat to take advantage of Henne's deep ball. I like Clay, he's a good receiver and has more upside than any of the current TEs we have behind Fasano IMO. Kearse was my favorite small school sleeper in this draft and I LOVED that pick. Wilson is an interesting story and has special teams skills but he'll need to be out some established guys to make the roster and has an uphill climb so we'll see what happens.

Overall, I was happy with this haul. My only complaint is a lack of a developmental QB. Its tough to envision going into next season with just Henne and <insert veteran QB here>. We can still sign someone like Devlin, Portis, Potts, Tolzien, etc in free agency but with the lockout throwing things all out of whack, who knows if they'll get there in time to legitimately have a chance.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-02-2011, 01:24 PM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
I liked the positions we addressed. The value of all the guys was about right. I liked the aggressiveness of moving up and getting the guys they wanted. The players definitely fit scheme wise. I just HATE Pouncey and Thomas. I think both can be solid players (Thomas less so than Pouncey), but screw solid players in the 1st and 2nd round. Really like the Gates and Clay picks though.
I just about agree with everything you said here. I like the aggressiveness as well, but wasn't so sure they needed to be aggressive in getting Thomas. I would've preferred to stay at 79 and take him if he was still there or go with another weapon like Taiwan Jones instead. If we were going to move up for Thomas, we should've done that for Ryan Williams or Mikel LeShoure, who I felt were perfect for us. Ryan probably went a little sooner than expected, which maybe could explain this, but LeShoure was only taken a couple spots before us and I feel like it was borderline negligent to not make a move there. Maybe Thomas was the guy they liked most, he's a solid player just not an exciting one.

I have to agree with Grizzlegom, Gates was definitely my favorite pick. Really thought he'd come off the board a lot sooner so I was excited when I realized he was still available and that we had finally gotten our deep threat. Maybe the fastest receiver in the draft.

A decent haul, but I definitely felt it could have been a lot better. Only time will tell I guess.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:14 PM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebow305 View Post
I just about agree with everything you said here. I like the aggressiveness as well, but wasn't so sure they needed to be aggressive in getting Thomas. I would've preferred to stay at 79 and take him if he was still there or go with another weapon like Taiwan Jones instead. If we were going to move up for Thomas, we should've done that for Ryan Williams or Mikel LeShoure, who I felt were perfect for us. Ryan probably went a little sooner than expected, which maybe could explain this, but LeShoure was only taken a couple spots before us and I feel like it was borderline negligent to not make a move there. Maybe Thomas was the guy they liked most, he's a solid player just not an exciting one.
From what I saw/heard, they were really high on Williams, LeShoure, and Thomas so after Williams and LeShoure went, they half-panicked and felt they had to move up for Thomas. Remember, he's only player 2 years at RB ever so he's still got considerable upside.

sig by BoneKrusher