Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 04-30-2011, 01:51 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Kerley and the trade is fine. At the very worst he'll be a good return man.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:14 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

FWIW apparently Powell was on all ST units besides punt returns in college. Think the two guys they've taken so far will both see a lot of time on specials and can fill roles (taking up carries, slot WR) on offense if things pan out. Gives a bit of a higher floor for the picks, although more ceiling would've been nice - although if things break well and they're right on Powell I think he could start. Also think they like having the 7th's this year since you can't just sign UDFA's after the draft, they'll get a couple of guys who have a shot to make the roster. Hopefully we find a little more upside there. I'd like a pass rusher - either a productive guy in college or a tools guy, and a corner with some good tools as well. Wouldn't say no to a safety either if there's somebody they like.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:34 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

a lot of people say kerley is extremely versatile. maybe theyre trying to find insurance in case smith doesnt come back?
Old 04-30-2011, 02:35 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDris View Post
a lot of people say kerley is extremely versatile. maybe theyre trying to find insurance in case smith doesnt come back?
I'd guess Smith's going to want more money than they're willing to pay for a return guy, wildcat QB, and occasional slot WR, especially given there are so many free agents at other critical positions. Think Kerley's more replacement than insurance.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:18 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

McElroy's an interesting pick, thought they might take a QB. Interesting if they can turn him into a guy worth trading or if they think he's going to be a solid long-term backup.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:25 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm fine with McElroy. Clemens is a free agent, Brunell is old and O'Connel is not any good. He is a smart guy and may be Sanchez's long term backup.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-30-2011, 04:59 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Last pick coming up, would like to see them take a bit more of a risk than the previous ones and go after a player with upside - pass rusher or a DB maybe. Could definitely see them going blocking TE or OL instead though.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:04 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Good saftey's on the board in Deunta Williams, Joe Lefeged and Jerron Johnson. Would not mind going that route.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-30-2011, 05:14 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Scotty McKnight, WR from Colorado. I don't know much about him but I do know that he was a productive player in college.

Edit: Apparently he is Sanchez's best friend. njx also likes him.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-30-2011, 05:18 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Yeah I don't know a ton about McKnight either - did know that he and Sanchez were tight which makes the pick a little less appealing, just makes you wonder if that was a factor and they picked a guy more than just on the tape. Saw that some of the guys on the board like him, maybe he sticks as a slot guy, we'll see. Really can't say much one way or the other about him, but I hope it works out.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:44 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Interesting thing, Tannenbaum gave a little insight into the drafting process when he talked about the move up for Kerley. Basically said that they have a list of 5 or 6 players every round they'd be happy to get, and the decision to move up for Kerley was because they went from that list being at 5 to 1 very quickly and had a ways to go before their pick so they felt they had to make a move to get him.

Looking at the players taken before Kerley you've got Denarius Moore, Dion Lewis, Jason Pinkston, Ahmad Black, and TJ Yates. Now after taking Powell I'd imagine they didn't want to take Lewis - but Moore, Pinkston, Black, and Yates (they did subscribe to that QB every year theory) all would have made some sense. Gives some insight - though it's very possible I missed on a couple of players there or somebody was picked a few slots earlier - into who they were targeting in the 5th round and what kinds of players they like to go after. Just thought it was interesting.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:19 AM    (permalink
Jersey/B
Rookie

Jersey/B is a cocksman.Jersey/B is a cocksman.Jersey/B is a cocksman.

All in all, I am very pleased with this draft. As I said before, the war is won in the trenches. Our d-line was upgraded significantly with Wilkerson & Ellis (IF his charges get lowered to probation or what not). They should make an immediate impact on our defense, including the pass rush.

Really like the Kerley pick in the 5th round. He will replace Smith and, based on what I hear, is a special teams ace. The Jets pride themselves on their special teams. We know it wins games. To have someone to come in with KR/PR as their bread & butter for a 5th round pick is good value.

The McKnight pick seems like, after reading his article online, a Sanchez influenced move. Not saying MT or Rex didn't do any homework on him, but I get that feeling. We'll see how it works out. Hopefully he'll be good value.

Now, if we could sign Joe Lefeged, it'll be a really great draft!
Jersey/B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:43 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey/B View Post

Now, if we could sign Joe Lefeged, it'll be a really great draft!
I would love to have him and the Jets have shown in the past that they will sign guys out of Rutgers (Westerman, Renkart, Collins, Girault, and a few others).

Lefeged is talented enough to make the team and he is a fantastic special teamer.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-02-2011, 01:12 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After letting the dust settle, i really have to say that i love what we did in this draft.

Wilkerson and Ellis both have the chance to be major contributors this year and solid starters for the next 10. Wilk, Ellis, Devito, Pouha, Ropati is a good D-line rotation. If we bring back Shaun Ellis then its a phenomenal rotation

The Powell pick shows that LT is going to be reduced to almost exclusively a 3rd down RB, which is a great idea IMO. The less work he receives the fresher and more effective he gets. Powell is similar to Greene (downhill, powerful, decisive runner) but he has more speed and quickness so i think they can compliment each other well. He still imposes his will on defenders and wears down defenses (something LT just cant do anymore)

The Kerley pick IMO means goodbye Brad Smith. I really have no problems with this as it gives us more money to pay Braylon and Holmes. There should be no dropoff on kick returns cuz Westhoff is a genius. Eventually i think Kerley also shows some potential as a slot receiver, more so than Smith.

Those were the big picks for me. McElroy will hopefully become a good back-up and friend for Sanchez and i really don know much about McKnight. If we hit on our first 4 tho nothing else really matters. Those are 4 pieces that will be contributors on this team for a long,long time

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:16 PM    (permalink
Jersey/B
Rookie

The lockout is lifted until June 3rd at the latest. Very good thing for these rookies who can get their hand on the playbook now, no matter what happens after.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:42 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Braylon Edwards apparently would like to stay with the Jets, says he isn't asking for "the moon". Also said he thinks that the fact that the Jets didn't add a big receiver in the draft helps him out a little in the negotiation process, which is probably true. Definitely going to be interesting to see what happens with receivers in free agency...If Keller progresses as he should that might minimize the need to bring back both Holmes and Edwards as well.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:45 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Braylon Edwards apparently would like to stay with the Jets, says he isn't asking for "the moon". Also said he thinks that the fact that the Jets didn't add a big receiver in the draft helps him out a little in the negotiation process, which is probably true. Definitely going to be interesting to see what happens with receivers in free agency...If Keller progresses as he should that might minimize the need to bring back both Holmes and Edwards as well.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...s_a_di scount

Best news I've heard all day

Sig by Me
Old 05-08-2011, 12:57 PM    (permalink
Jersey/B
Rookie

The more this off season plays out, the more I like Braylon over Santonio. Edwards has shown he really wants to stay on the team while, if anything, Holmes has shown he's looking for the dollars. Sign the guy who sincerely wants to win in Green & White. Also, Holmes has never really been a #1 receiver. He has the athletic ability & talent for it sure, but that's never been his role.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:52 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey/B View Post
The more this off season plays out, the more I like Braylon over Santonio. Edwards has shown he really wants to stay on the team while, if anything, Holmes has shown he's looking for the dollars. Sign the guy who sincerely wants to win in Green & White. Also, Holmes has never really been a #1 receiver. He has the athletic ability & talent for it sure, but that's never been his role.
Do you really think Braylon will keep his effort level up if he gets a long term deal? He's been lazy in the past and his attitude kinda sucks.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:32 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...ce-deportation

This could suck big time.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-21-2011, 02:04 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

We hired Tom Moore as an offensive consultant. Personally I love the move

Sig by Me
Old 07-25-2011, 10:57 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

From what I'm reading and what I've heard, Nmadi Aso really wants to play for the Jets. We would have to cut some vets like LDT and Taylor, not sign Cro and Brad Smith, and restructure Harris and Sanchez's contracts. We have a shot to get him.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-26-2011, 02:02 AM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

Here's the real question though, would you guys rather have:

Braylon+Holmes+whatever else we do with our cap space (sign pass-rusher, TE, safety, etc.)

OR

Holmes+Aso

If we lock up Edwards and Holmes long term we have the potential to be one of the top flight passing attacks in the league. Honestly, Sanchez in his 6th or 7th year throwing to Holmes, Edwards, Cotchery, Keller would have opposing D's ******** their pants every week. That would give us an elite offense capable of hanging up 30+ any given game. Not to mention that we would have additional cap room to try and address other needs (pass-rusher)

On the other hand Revis + Aso has the potential to be something this league has never seen before. These guys are hands down the two best corners on the planet. It would give Rex a literally endless amount of flexibility with his play-calling and design. He basically gets the choice of "hmmmm, which 2 receivers am i taking out of this play?", leave them on an island and send the house at the qb with his genious blitzes. Bringing Holmes back as well still gives us a solid recieving corps. (Arguable whether we need an elite corps b/c we're a run-based ground+pound offense.) And it makes us the #1 D in the league easily.

Me personally, I would really love to see Aso come to NY. Yes it would mean saying goodbye to some solid veterans (Taylor, T-Rich, Bryan Thomas, LT?, Ellis?) but they are all pretty replaceable. Aso+Revis would dominate for the next couple years which combined with Marky Marks progress would make us perennial favorites every year. Not to mention Kyle Wilson will be getting tutored by the best CB's of this generation making him a beast as well.

Sig by Me
Old 07-27-2011, 11:36 AM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

Holmes

Aso

Antwan Barnes

If we pull that off I will cream my pants that is literally a perfect off-season

Sig by Me
Old 07-29-2011, 05:24 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Aso chose the Eagles but this certainly ain't the end of the world for us. We had $10 million to spend and then we also restructured the contracts of Pace, Tomlinson, Moore, and Scott. We have plenty to spend still. Look for us to bring back Edwards and Cro.

Sig by BoneKrusher