Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > NFC East Division Forum

NFC East Division Forum Discuss the NFC East

View Poll Results: How do you grade the Cowboys draft?
A+ 0 0%
A 1 6.67%
A- 2 13.33%
B+ 3 20.00%
B 3 20.00%
B- 2 13.33%
C+ 2 13.33%
C 2 13.33%
C- 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2011, 08:38 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Grade the Cowboys Draft

Round 1, Pick 9 (9) Tyron Smith OT 6'5" 307 USC

Round 2, Pick 8 (40) Bruce Carter LB 6'2" 241 North Carolina

Round 3, Pick 7 (71) DeMarco Murray RB 6'0" 213 Oklahoma

Round 4, Pick 13 (110) David Arkin OL 6'5" 300 Missouri St.

Round 5, Pick 12 (143) Josh Thomas DB 5'10" 191 Buffalo

Round 6, Pick 11 (176) Dwayne Harris WR 5'10" 203 East Carolina

Round 7, Pick 17 (220) (From Chargers) Shaun Chapas RB 6'2" 247 Georgia

Round 7, Pick 49 (252) (Compensatory Selection) Bill Nagy C 6'2" 302 Wisconsin
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:56 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know there are some of you who don't think too highly of Tyron Smith... especially you Giants fans... but I wanted you to get a glimpse of him here before you vote. ;)

Old 05-02-2011, 09:24 PM    (permalink
Smash28Dash34
Rookie

Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can understand the Tyron Smith pick, but the Bruce Carter and DeMarco Murray picks were headscratchers. Maybe their staff knows something we don't, but this draft gets a C from me. If Carter and Murray produce, then it gets a higher grade.
Smash28Dash34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:30 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash28Dash34 View Post
I can understand the Tyron Smith pick, but the Bruce Carter and DeMarco Murray picks were headscratchers. Maybe their staff knows something we don't, but this draft gets a C from me. If Carter and Murray produce, then it gets a higher grade.
I was definitely confused at first by those picks too... but what happened is that they stuck to their board above need. Not saying those positions weren't of need at all, but need priorities weren't ranked with ILB and RB at the top.

Barber is probably cut as he makes too much and our ILBs (Brooking and James) are both old. So really, it does make sense if you give it some careful thought.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:08 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Old 05-03-2011, 12:15 AM    (permalink
Smash28Dash34
Rookie

Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I was definitely confused at first by those picks too... but what happened is that they stuck to their board above need. Not saying those positions weren't of need at all, but need priorities weren't ranked with ILB and RB at the top.

Barber is probably cut as he makes too much and our ILBs (Brooking and James) are both old. So really, it does make sense if you give it some careful thought.
Murray might prove his worth if Barber ends up leaving. I still don't understand the Carter pick though. Does he really project that well as a 3-4 ILB? I can't see it, but maybe their staff does and I could be wrong.
Smash28Dash34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:41 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash28Dash34 View Post
Murray might prove his worth if Barber ends up leaving. I still don't understand the Carter pick though. Does he really project that well as a 3-4 ILB? I can't see it, but maybe their staff does and I could be wrong.
I didn't like the pick because I thought we had bigger needs. ...and I agree, I thought he was a 43 OLB... but thule pointed out something to me that really opened my eyes and made a lot of sense... Carter (a converted Safety) has excellent speed, range and coverage skills... the Cowboys have been seeking out these kinds of ILB prospects lately... Sean Lee (2nd Rnd, '10) and Jason Williams (3rd Rnd, '09) and now Bruce Carter are all smaller than your typical 6'3, 6'4 250-255 pound thumping 3-4 ILB. They are of 6'1, 6'2, 235-245 size with more quickness and more range. With the way the NFL has been becoming more and more of a passing league...and rules being enforced that promote more scoring and air attacks, the Cowboys are moving away from the way old fashion 3-4 systems and are transforming as they adapt to today's NFL where ILBs need to be able to drop back into coverage to help stop the pass. Don't get me wrong, stopping the run is still very important, and having big LBs who can shed blocks and stuff the run is important (not saying these guy are bad at that either), but if you can't stop the pass, then you're only a 2 down linebacker now days. Carter has the skillset to cover and stuff the run, so pending him coming back 100% healthy from this ACL injury (same thing Sean Lee had when he entered the league last year), his potential and fit for this team is exciting to watch unfold. ...and while it wasn't the biggest need, it certainly was a need. Bradie James is past his prime and his replacement has been absent since Jason Williams was cut.

The risks are getting over the injury, realizing his potential and not being one of those guys where you say, "Damn, we could've gotten player x if we didn't pick Bruce Carter".... because certainly the Cowboys left some very intriguing prospects at positions of bigger need.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:15 AM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We need + and - options
Old 05-04-2011, 07:28 AM    (permalink
igglefanz
Rookie

igglefanz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.igglefanz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.igglefanz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.igglefanz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.igglefanz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.igglefanz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.igglefanz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.igglefanz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.igglefanz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.igglefanz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.igglefanz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I give the Cowboys a good value on this draft. Their draft leads me to believe that they will be looking CB/S in free agency.

Smith I think is the best Tackle in the draft as a mix of upside and safe. Very athletic and good footwork. What i have seen as of blocking technique needs work but nothing a good OL coach can't fix. I really think he is going to be a great starter for the Cowboys, Not a probowler at LT but probably one at RT if moved there. Best pick as of value and need at that position. Should help out right away opening day starter.

Carter is going to be a good player but not this year. Sounds as if they may be keeping the vets around at ILB for the Cowboys for at least another year. Tremendous upside and value but also a big risk. should be able to run with most TE's and has the god given gifts to be good. If he puts everything together can be a pro bowler and a darn good one. but also has the high risk of being a average at best ILB.

Murray now this pick I don't understand. There were ALOT of running back later in the draft that could of been the third person in the Dallas 3 headed monster running attack. This is a total BPA pick and head scratchier. He does have the chance to be amazing but with other options and Dallas passing attack it's a pick that may be a bit excessive. But even then they get a tough hard nosed runner with good goal line ability. Is a playmaker and will make people miss.

Arkin was the other OL that i wished dropped to the Eagles at 4th round 23. I like the kid out of Indiana better but both were high on my hopes list. Total Project may work out better as a backup or as a goalline extra OL in a jumbo package. I dont see him pushing Smith or Free for starting spots but would fill in nice if either got hurt. Personally think he isnt a guard but who knows.

Thomas is an interesting pick, reminds me of a poor mans Sheldon Brown, great tackler, not very big. I think would make a great nickel cb but I don't see him becoming a starter anytime soon. Will need a bit of time but should be a decent pick that will make some noise early in punt coverage as a gunner and kickoffs.

Nagy I see as a possible long term backup and depth along the inside OL. Total dice roll here for a 7th there were others on the board rated higher but at that point can be a good gamble if they think they saw something.
igglefanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:14 AM    (permalink
JBCX
Veteran

JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As an Eagles fan, I'm just glad that they didn't manage to snag Patrick Peterson or Nick Fairley. :)

This was a "need" draft for the Cowboys and not a "value" or "talent" draft, imho.
JBCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:31 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
As an Eagles fan, I'm just glad that they didn't manage to snag Patrick Peterson or Nick Fairley. :)

This was a "need" draft for the Cowboys and not a "value" or "talent" draft, imho.
Are you saying they drafted for need or they should've drafted for need?

That last sentence can be read different ways.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:13 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Round 1, Pick 9 (9) Tyron Smith OT 6'5" 307 USC
I think this was the right pick for them to make regardless if they couldve made a trade up to get peterson. He is a very good run blocker, being able to get to the second level in a hurry, locks onto the defender. He also has very good feet,yet also has the punch that is necessary to knock these speed rushers off balance. He didn't play LT, but that isn't that much of a problem when the player who took that position is being considered a top 10 pick in a draft with more talent.

Quote:
Round 2, Pick 8 (40) Bruce Carter LB 6'2" 241 North Carolina
Ok, i know there are some of you Dallas fans that didn't like this pick, but just taking the pick in as a player first might ease your disappointment. Carter possesses great speed, athleticism, and above all he is very versatile. He can play all 3 positions in a 4-3, so i see no reason why he can't find a niche in a 3-4 inside.

Scott says he doesn't deliver knockout hits, well turn on the tape against LSU and try to tell me he wasn't all over the field enforcing his will and making sure that the tiger receivers knew to think twice before going over the middle. It takes alot of heart to play without alot of your team and put it all out there when your missing so many crucial parts, but he did and thats a player id love to have on my team even if he isn't an ideal fit for my defense.

Quote:
Round 3, Pick 7 (71) DeMarco Murray RB 6'0" 213 Oklahoma
EXPLOSIVE, a true playmaker. Im not so sure this guy is an inside runner in the pros, will probably have a role alot like reggie bush's in New Orleans.
Quote:
Round 4, Pick 13 (110) David Arkin OL 6'5" 300 Missouri St.
meh

Quote:
Round 5, Pick 12 (143) Josh Thomas DB 5'10" 191 Buffalo
probably a safety, reliable backup/special teamer.

Quote:
Round 6, Pick 11 (176) Dwayne Harris WR 5'10" 203 East Carolina
wow, he is scary as hell. H-Back/slot guy that will punish defenders as well as break some ankles. good value, and definitely adds another dimension to that offense.

Quote:
Round 7, Pick 17 (220) (From Chargers) Shaun Chapas RB 6'2" 247 Georgia
think he should beat out gronkowski for the starting FB position.

Quote:
Round 7, Pick 49 (252) (Compensatory Selection) Bill Nagy C 6'2" 302 Wisconsin
don't know

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote