Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Cleveland Browns Team Forum

Cleveland Browns Team Forum Discuss the Browns

Old 04-30-2011, 01:05 AM    (permalink
initial_flo
Rookie

initial_flo is so money.initial_flo is so money.initial_flo is so money.initial_flo is so money.initial_flo is so money.initial_flo is so money.initial_flo is so money.initial_flo is so money.initial_flo is so money.initial_flo is so money.

Pretty much the best available pass rusher and a high upside receiver? Can't complain about round 2.

What say you guys?
Old 04-30-2011, 02:58 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

[quote=Brown Leader;2588009]Belichick has not had a problem identifying talent in the 2nd round range. I'd rather have more picks in the second than high first picks. It also gives us leverage to go way up next year if we like a key guy.

BB will trade out of round 1 especially if he thinks the team he is trading with could produce a top 10 pick next year, hence the Oakland trade even though it didn't workout as planned.
However, when BB gets a top 10 pick, he doesn't trade out, he uses it to get a building block for his team. See Jerod Mayo.
NE almost always drafts late in round 1 unless a trade provided them with an early pick. You'll notice, they didn't trade out of there earlier pick this year. BB knows that when you are drafting between 25-40, the talent is basically the same, it is usually just in the eye of the beholder that decides which player each GM in that range will pick. BB constantly takes advantage of this fact and likes to pick up an extra pick while still staying in that range. It is a very clever way of maximizing his value. There is a clear method to his madness in trading back.
Using these methods show just how much thought BB has put into learning how to manipulate the draft. You'll never find him giving up a top 10 pick which he can use as a building block to trade back into the 20's, in fact you won't find any GM willing to try that route but we have done it twice in 3 years.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:53 AM    (permalink
Tom Servo
Rookie

Tom Servo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tom Servo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tom Servo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tom Servo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tom Servo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tom Servo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tom Servo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tom Servo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tom Servo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tom Servo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tom Servo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

good 1st and 2nd rds. dunno bout a TE that early tho. need some Big Ten guys now
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:26 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Marecic was born to play for this team. Love that pick so much. Like the upside that the TE we drafted possesses, and I am all about going best player available regardless instead of just taking the best player at a position of need. Hopefully he pans out as Ben Watson's potential replacement in a couple years. Rounds 4-7 are a crapshoot, hopefully one or two of these guys sticks. I feel good about Marecic sticking as the fullback to replace free agent-to be VIckers.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:40 PM    (permalink
fear the elf
Veteran

fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
Marecic was born to play for this team. Love that pick so much. Like the upside that the TE we drafted possesses, and I am all about going best player available regardless instead of just taking the best player at a position of need. Hopefully he pans out as Ben Watson's potential replacement in a couple years. Rounds 4-7 are a crapshoot, hopefully one or two of these guys sticks. I feel good about Marecic sticking as the fullback to replace free agent-to be VIckers.
Jordan Cameron was somebody I liked, but with Acho on the board there, I though he should have been the pick. WTF are we going to do with Cameron, Watson, and Moore? I'm not liking it right now.

Also, is Vickers as good as gone? I like Marecic, but unless Vickers doesn't want to come back, why would we let him go?

Not sure how I feel about this draft Heckert. I was so excited after the trade, a little bummed when we picked Taylor, then bought into it a little over night, then pretty happy after rds 2 and 3, now back down and feeling pretty meh overall...

On another note, the draft coverage has been pretty underwhelming as a whole this year and particularly after the 4th round, it really took a dive. Neither network seems interested in providing expert analysis on the picks. All the discussion is about the QBs or the big name teams. Guess what, at this point in the draft, your viewers are hardcore fans. We don't want to hear the same sh*t you've been spewing for the past 4 months about Cam Newton and the draft is like the Super Bowl for bad teams, how about spreading the love to some of our teams?

I'm seriously getting burnt out on football and the "coverage" provided by networks.

/rant
fear the elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 03:01 PM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: Richard Sherman: Trolling uptight white people since 2011
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just found out you guys got Marecic, super jealous. Great pick and a perfect fit. Marecic and Hillis with Hardesty too will be amazing

OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:35 AM    (permalink
j05son
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fear the elf View Post
Jordan Cameron was somebody I liked, but with Acho on the board there, I though he should have been the pick. WTF are we going to do with Cameron, Watson, and Moore? I'm not liking it right now.

Also, is Vickers as good as gone? I like Marecic, but unless Vickers doesn't want to come back, why would we let him go?

Not sure how I feel about this draft Heckert. I was so excited after the trade, a little bummed when we picked Taylor, then bought into it a little over night, then pretty happy after rds 2 and 3, now back down and feeling pretty meh overall...

On another note, the draft coverage has been pretty underwhelming as a whole this year and particularly after the 4th round, it really took a dive. Neither network seems interested in providing expert analysis on the picks. All the discussion is about the QBs or the big name teams. Guess what, at this point in the draft, your viewers are hardcore fans. We don't want to hear the same sh*t you've been spewing for the past 4 months about Cam Newton and the draft is like the Super Bowl for bad teams, how about spreading the love to some of our teams?

I'm seriously getting burnt out on football and the "coverage" provided by networks.

/rant
Many think that Vickers doesn't fit our new WCO because he has sub-par hands. Although he is an amazing blocker and has great intangibles, a WCO needs a FB that can catch out of the backfield. I would imagine that drafting Marecic means Vickers is on his way out. It doesn't necessarily mean he'll be out this year, but I'd imagine sooner than later. Marecic will start on ST from day one and depending on when Vickers departs, FB.

Let's get some activity going in the Cleveland sub-forum!
j05son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:32 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

first take on the draft-

1.) Loved the trade down. I didn't want to take either of the WRs and the only defensive guy I didn't have a problem with at 6 was Fairley or possibly Watt. Taylor was a guy we paid attention to just before the draft but I thought it was because he might slip to our 2nd round pick after the foot issue broke.

I only caught one game of his, Baylor/Colorado, but he was impressive. The way he crashed into the pocket but sometimes lost leverage getting too high, I thought he'd make a better fit as a 43 DT or 34 DE than 34 NT. I've rewatched and seen some other things, including his performance senior week, and he definitely holds his ground well when he wants to, even against the double team. The PSU character stuff seems overblown and I like that he has some competitive history with Haden. The trade deal was sick and I now think the Falcons gambled too much. Unless Julio comes close to being another TO I don't think they'll end up with fair value.

2.) Sheard was the guy they wanted in the 2nd. I thought Sheard would sneak into the bottom of round 1. At this point he looks like a solid but unspectacular prospect but who knows? I saw little of him at Pitt and thought he might be a better fit at OLB. Some analysts thought he was just the beneficiary of playing outside of Romeus until he had his best season without him there-that's encouraging. He's got a little bit of intimidation to his game and a great name sooo... Little of course was SIC. I've been touting him since Dec. and I hope he can upgrade the slot and also be a big play guy all over the way he was at UNC. He needs to bring that angry/arrogant personality with him and infect our offense with it. Salivating at the prospect of an improved Cribbs and Little on the field together.

4.) Didn't get the Cameron pick at first but I think Evan Moore might be used out wide more this season. I've read somewhere he was listed as a WR heading into this season. I like Cameron but hopefully Watson is the mentor type because he's a big project. I suppose they aren't willing to pay Vickers a substantial salary because he's a fullback-that's my reasoning as to why they'd draft the first FB in the draft. If Marecic can block as well as Vickers in a year or so then I'm fine with it.

5.) Someone help me with the Skrine pick because I don't get it. I guess you have to like his speed and toughness because as a cover guy he's a project. If he can tackle I'll buy in. I really like the Pinkston pick. Doesn't quite look the part but I thought he played well at Pitt. Exposed at the senior week practices at LT and didn't test well at the combine but I thought he held up real well at RT senior week. At this point, just a guy, but I'll wager with added strength he can be a solid starting RT.

7.) If he makes the the 53 roster I like the Hagg pick. Back up depth guy who could help out at both safety spots because the depth is not good. @Piscitelli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg9 View Post
Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBess View Post
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Pre-Draft 2014 Mock *FULL DRAFT*
Brown Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:50 PM    (permalink
j05son
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've read that Skrine has had like 3 or 4 different coaches (I don't remember if they were DB coaches or DC or whatnot) and that if he can get a stable coach to work with him, it would do wonders.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:49 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Interesting. As I re-think that it could be a matter of team speed on defense. We might have one of the slower defenses in the league. Our LBs, Elam, Brown are all well below average speed. If Skrine makes the team he could add something in nickel/dime-as long as he can tackle.

Quote:
Quote:
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:55 AM    (permalink
STsACE
Rookie

STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Leader View Post
Interesting. As I re-think that it could be a matter of team speed on defense. We might have one of the slower defenses in the league. Our LBs, Elam, Brown are all well below average speed. If Skrine makes the team he could add something in nickel/dime-as long as he can tackle.
Just listened to Skrine's conference call last night on the official Browns site. The kid is very confident and sounds like he has a chip on his shoulder for being overlooked because he's short. He apparently ran a 4.22 40 at his pro-day or something. Extremely fast. I like his chances if he puts in the work.

Our DB coach Henderson likes him as he worked him out personally. He's got work to do, but could be very good in a couple of years.

I like the confidence in the players we picked this year. They're not arrogant, they have the talent, they just need the coaching. Could turn out to be a very instrumental draft in 2-3 years as I believe each guy has a chance to be key contributors with 3-4 being starters and not just okay starters, but good/great starters.

My only question mark lies with Taylor. He reminds me too much of Rubin and I don't see right now how he fits. Of course, we've been watching the 3-4 for years now, so I don't really think anybody can see how he fits and how our D-Line will do outside of Jauron.

Little and Skrine are quickly becoming my 2 favorite from this draft. All the talent needed, the attitude to want to get better and chips on their shoulders. Hopefully they put it together. Gonna be interesting to see how quickly they catch on being theres limited time for them to practice as a team until the lockout is lifted.
STsACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:55 AM    (permalink
fear the elf
Veteran

fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j05son View Post
I've read that Skrine has had like 3 or 4 different coaches (I don't remember if they were DB coaches or DC or whatnot) and that if he can get a stable coach to work with him, it would do wonders.
I heard the same thing. I believe it was from Heckert in the Day 3 press conference, but not positive. Let's hope that a little stability will help him develop.

Quote:
I agree, our team speed on defense (actually, offense too) is pretty poor, If Buster can get on the field, it would really help. I've heard mixed things on his tackling. We shall see. We know Joe and Sheldon will tackle though, so that should rub off on him if he doesn't do it already.

Now that I've had some time to process the draft, I still can't help being a little upset about both of our 4th round picks.

Jordan Cameron seems like a nice athlete but I don't see how you pass up Sam Acho (who the Cardinals picked immediately after us) at an area of need when TE is pretty well set already.

And Marecic is a great story and player, we all know that, but I don't see why Vickers can't be a WC fullback. He's a top notch blocker and, although he hasn't caught the ball much in Cleveland, he's done it before at Colorado. I just don't see the point in drafting a player at one of the few positions that is a strength.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:41 AM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is it possible they can move Jordan Cameron to Wideout? He would fit the mold of the big type of target that embodies the ideal WCO WR. He has the athleticism and speed IMO. I was just thinking of how the Seahawks users Mike Williams this past year.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:23 PM    (permalink
kalbears13
Pro Bowler

Location: The difference between a child's toy and an adult toy
kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jauron is planning to play Phil Taylor at the 3 tech because he's quite agile for his size while Rubin will play the nose. There won't be much of a inside pass rush but it will be tough to run inside.

I see Marecic as a great STer. I can see them still keeping both but it's also nice to have an insurance plan if Vickers does decide to skip town.

Jordan Cameron will probably stay at TE. He's over 250 lbs. He was BPA at that point and was apparently "head and shoulders" the best prospect available in Heckert's eyes.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:42 PM    (permalink
fear the elf
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbears13 View Post
Jauron is planning to play Phil Taylor at the 3 tech because he's quite agile for his size while Rubin will play the nose. There won't be much of a inside pass rush but it will be tough to run inside.

I see Marecic as a great STer. I can see them still keeping both but it's also nice to have an insurance plan if Vickers does decide to skip town.

Jordan Cameron will probably stay at TE. He's over 250 lbs. He was BPA at that point and was apparently "head and shoulders" the best prospect available in Heckert's eyes.
I guess I'm still butt-hurt because I've been want Acho for months and he fell right into our laps in the fourth round and we passed. FFFUUUUUUUUUUUU!
Old 05-04-2011, 09:19 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbears13 View Post

I was figuring Jauron would run a defense similar to what he ran in Chicago and what the Ravens had before they adopted the 34. Taylor/Rubin should be something like Sam Adams and Siragusa. And the more I hear about Taylor's supposed inability to pass rush, I think he's going to surprise some and be pretty effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STsACE View Post

My only question mark lies with Taylor. He reminds me too much of Rubin and I don't see right now how he fits. Of course, we've been watching the 3-4 for years now, so I don't really think anybody can see how he fits and how our D-Line will do outside of Jauron.
That's a really good thing. Rubin led all defensive lineman in tackles last season playing as a 34 nose. He's shown good range and movement but rushing the passer wasn't his role. In the 4 front, next to Taylor, who has a similar skill set but a better closing burst, it's going to be interesting to see if these guys can collapse the pocket. In any case it's encouraging that we might FINALLY field a good run defense.

Quote:
Quote:
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:39 PM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After looking at your guys draft I'm liking what you guys did a lot! Taylor and Rubin is 700 pounds of run stopping! Little is the perfect west coast WR. But I also like that if Colt doesn't workout well this year, you now have all the picks you need to move up and get Barkley. I didn't say Luck because I feel the team picking 1st will not trade anything to draft him.
bigbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:48 AM    (permalink
j05son
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuc View Post
After looking at your guys draft I'm liking what you guys did a lot! Taylor and Rubin is 700 pounds of run stopping! Little is the perfect west coast WR. But I also like that if Colt doesn't workout well this year, you now have all the picks you need to move up and get Barkley. I didn't say Luck because I feel the team picking 1st will not trade anything to draft him.
If colt falters, we probably wont have to trade up for Barkley and/or may be able to get Luck ourselves. =p

I'm pulling for Colt though.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:41 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I was figuring Jauron would run a defense similar to what he ran in Chicago and what the Ravens had before they adopted the 34. Taylor/Rubin should be something like Sam Adams and Siragusa. And the more I hear about Taylor's supposed inability to pass rush, I think he's going to surprise some and be pretty effective.

That's a really good thing. Rubin led all defensive lineman in tackles last season playing as a 34 nose. He's shown good range and movement but rushing the passer wasn't his role. In the 4 front, next to Taylor, who has a similar skill set but a better closing burst, it's going to be interesting to see if these guys can collapse the pocket. In any case it's encouraging that we might FINALLY field a good run defense.
Actually in his last 2 stops, Jauron ran a Cover 2 scheme both in Chicago and in Buffalo, where you use smaller DT's who can penetrate and rush the passer.
Considering that the NFL has developed into a passing league, not sure 2 huge DT's will work all that much anymore.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:42 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
If colt falters, we probably wont have to trade up for Barkley and/or may be able to get Luck ourselves. =p

I'm pulling for Colt though.
I agree, if Colt falters, we will be in the running for the #1 overall pick.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:19 AM    (permalink
OhioJB
Rookie

OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Really liked what the Browns did in the draft. Other than the trade itself, it wasn't a spectacular, flashy draft, but the players they chose seem to be good solid picks. Much more enjoyable to watch when your decision makers know what they are doing. TH and MH continued what they started last year, in drafting very tough football players. I watched Phil Taylor's press conference, and listened to Little's radio interview and both came across as tough-minded, mature football players.

I do worry whether Little will stay out of trouble, but if he can the Browns have a 2nd round steal. He and Julio Jones will be compared alot in the coming years to see who's having the better season/career.

The trade itself was incredible. Looking at the players taken between 6-20, I don't see one I'd rather have had than Taylor, a 2nd and 4th this year, and a 1st and 4th next year. Fairley would have been a great talent to line up next to Rubin, but he could become a huge disruption on and off the field. How many personal fouls would fans and coaches be willing to overlook? Great talent, but the risk in that regard was too high. May have more of an attitude problem than he'd like to admit to.

1) DT Phil Taylor - Before the draft he was one of the few players that stuck out to me that was projected to go in the last third of the 1st round. Putting him next to Rubin will go a long way to stuffing the run. Our LB's had to be happy with this pick. For a bigger DT, it sounds like he has a good motor.

2a) DE Jabaal Sheard - Not a flashy pick, but a solid one. We need DE's, and he fits the bill without needing to draft him higher than he was projected. Doesn't appear to have a quick burst judging by the highlights that were shown, but has good size to help stuff the run, and doesn't give up on plays according to scouting reports.

2b) WR Greg Little - As John Lott likes to tell the young men at the Combine, "Get your stinking minds right." If Little can keep his head screwed on straight, on and off the field, he'll be the best WR on the team, immediately. Sounds like he'll fit the WCO perfectly. Excited about this pick, but also apprehensive whether Little will stay out of trouble or not. Hopefully, he'll act as mature as he sounded on the phone during the interview posted on the team's official site. As a sidenote, it was funny to hear him getting on an elevator as he was being interviewed.

4a) TE Jordan Cameron - Outside of the trade this is where I felt TH and MH started earning their paychecks. I didn't like the pick at the time hoping for other players, but after reading and hearing more about Cameron and later the FB, I liked both picks. They could be key pieces to a Super Bowl winning Browns team in the future. Seemed to be initially Cameron was kind of the same player as Evan Moore, but he may have even more upside. Cameron will just need to become a better blocker, as I doubt Moore will ever be strong enough to be real effective in that area of his game.

4b) FB Owen Marecic - Rugged, tough, and talented. At first I thought, "A FB. WTF???" Then they showed the highlights. Great pick! Wouldn't have lasted much longer, I'm sure. I'm a big fan of Vickers, which is why initially I didn't like this, but I'm sure they'll try to bring him back as well. The Browns carried two FB's Vickers' rookie year, so should be able to find a way to do so again. Special teams may be where he finds himself most during year one. At the press conference, MH wouldn't say whether Vickers was tendered or not. Odds are he was. But this Marecic pick is another that excites me for the future of the team.

5a) CB Buster Skrine - Another pick I didn't like initially, but then read he did some returning also. Not only will he be insurance if Cribbs gets hurt, but he might become the punt returner, leaving Cribbs with returning kickoffs and playing WR. Obviously, they wanted to add speed to the secondary. They said he could cover the slot inside well, or play outside, so the expectations are there for him to possibly replace Brown when the time comes, but for the time being maybe play a little when extra DB's are on the field. Hopefully he'll prove good enough to make the team.

5b) OL Jason Pinkston - Some had him ranked as a potential 2nd rounder, but because teams weren't convinced he could play OT, he dropped. Which tells me he's probably an average prospect at OG. Has good size, and reportedly pulls/traps well, so in a couple of years maybe he'll be starting on our OL. Something I was struck by while watching workout footage they showed of him, was how young he looked. And the look on his face made me worry he might be 'soft'. Maybe he just didn't feel comfortable working out in front of the cameras and will be tough-minded while playing. We'll see. Browns gave up two 6th rounders to draft him, so hope it works out.

7) S - Eric Hagg - Even though I felt we needed to add a safety to DB group, I wasn't sure about this pick at first. Thought maybe another DE, or the developmental QB MH talked about before the draft might be taken here. Maybe even a RB to add to the mix. But after learning more about Hagg, this was a good pick. Maybe he'll end up on the PS, but at least he has some talent to work with. The fact he was Nebraska's defensive MVP says alot about him, so wont be shocked if he makes the team. Nebraska also had Amukarama on the team so the fact Hagg beat him out as Def.-MVP is impressive. One problem the Browns have is Ward is great to have out there because he's a very good tackler and his big hits make WR's think twice about catching the ball, but his coverage skills are lacking. And I'm not sure how much his skills will improve in that area. Not saying Hagg will step in and do better, but he'll have a chance of proving himself. More likely he'd end up a backup at FS behind Elam if he makes the team. Will be interesting to see how the DB's play in Jauron's more conventional 4-3 defense. Hard to judge anyone too harshly in the defense Ryan coached for the past two years.

While I'm not overly excited by the Browns draft, I do think it was smart and solid. And the trade back was terrific. Lost a 3rd trading back up, but it was a small price to pay to ensure we got our big DT.

One thing I noticed was our first three selections all had some type of red flag. Taylor was charged with felony aggravated assault in 2007. Those charges were later dropped. Sheard was arrested for an assault in the summer of 2010. And of course Little was suspended for the 2010 season for maintaining an inappropiate relationship with an agent. Little is the only one I worry about a little right now. He comes across as having a bit of wild streak in him. I don't know the stories behind Taylor's and Sheard's assault cases, and Taylor's was 4 years ago. I'm not too worried about them getting into trouble. I know the Browns did extensive research into their backgrounds. Little chance any of them would be Browns if Mangini were still in charge though. hah....
OhioJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:36 PM    (permalink
fear the elf
Veteran

So what do we think our starting lineup is going to be?

..........................Haden - Ward - Elam - Brown
............................Gocong - Jackson - Fujita
........................Benard - Taylor - Rubin - Sheard

Little.......Thomas - Steinbach - Mack - Lauvao - Pashos...Watson......MoMass
...........................................McCoy
..........................................Marecic
............................................Hillis
Old 05-10-2011, 06:14 AM    (permalink
j05son
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

QB- McCoy
HB- Hillis
FB- Marecic
WR- Massaquoi
WR- Robiskie
TE- Watson
LT- Thomas
LG- Steinbach
C - Mack
RG- Womack
RT- Pashos

LDE- Sheard
UT- Taylor
NT- Rubin
RDE- Yet to be signed.
WLB- Jackson
MLB- Gocong
SLB- Fujita
CB- Haden
CB- Brown
SS- Elam
FS- Ward

K- Dawson
P- Hodges
R- Cribbs
LS- Pontbriand

Colt will obviously be the man to start the season.

Hillis will be the main back but we should see Hillis getting many breathers with Hardesty healthy.

Marecic will take on FB as Vickers isn't an offensive threat out of the backfield the way Owen will be. Wish Vickers the best as he's one of if not the best blocking FB in the league. WCO needs a more versatile FB in it's scheme.

I expect last years WR's to start the season again. Holmgren has stated many times that he feels the WR's aren't as bad as people think and that our new system will feature them more frequently. Little is a rookie coming off a suspended season at a position that typically takes 2-3 years to grasp. I do expect to see Cribbs as a big time target for us as at WR. WCO is about short-intermediate routes that result in YAC (yards after completion). Cribbs is big, strong and fast and we've all seen what he can do with the ball in space. I think he'll be a perfect WCO WR and he has speed to spread the field.

Watson will no doubt start at TE where he'll build off his career year in '10. Moore and Cameron are big targets who can split wide and are perfect for third downs and in the redzone.

Thomas, Stienbach and Mack are no brainers. Porkchop is one of the better lineman but he always has a revolving door next to him. If Pashos (one of the premier run blockers in the league) can stay healthy, expect our running game to be strong and for us to have one of the better offensive lines in the league. Lauvao and Pinkston are the future but they're just depth for now along with Billy Yates (I actually don't know his contract status but he's a very versatile lineman who can also play C and I felt he played very well before ending up on IR).

We're running a 2 gap 4-3 defense. We're basically running 2 NT who are lining up in the A gaps. Rubin and Taylor are set to stop the run and take on blockers at the same time while pushing the pocket into the QB. I expect Sheard to play the strong side DE while we target someone in free agency for a weakside rush end. Benard at worst will be a situational pass rusher but may be our starting RDE.

Heckert stated awhile ago that he likes Gocong in the middle and that Jackson is the stereotypical WLB. Fujita is obviously a SLB shown by his many stops in 4-3 base defenses.

It's a passing league so your going to see a lot of nickel. Wright will be on the field a lot but Brown and Haden are the starting CBs. I expect Wright to be back and his play will reflect his prior seasons with us and not his last. It's a good thing to have to many corners. Grossi wrote an article about Whitner wanting to play for Cleveland (makes sense on many levels, hometown, Dick Jauron, the fact that a few scouts have stated Elam to be a backup). I wouldn't mind either way but once Elam starting playing football and stopped trying to coach our rookies on the field he was a different player (not a knock on Elam's mentor-ship, just that he was struggling while doing both).

I expect us to be in Gosselin's top 5 special teams rankings again while strong performances from our usual players.

Last edited by j05son : 05-10-2011 at 06:16 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:29 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Actually in his last 2 stops, Jauron ran a Cover 2 scheme both in Chicago and in Buffalo, where you use smaller DT's who can penetrate and rush the passer.
Considering that the NFL has developed into a passing league, not sure 2 huge DT's will work all that much anymore.
In Chicago he preferred 6-5 365 Ted Washington and 6-2 345 Keith Traylor on early downs. His short stint in Detroit he had 6-4 345 Shaun Rogers and 6-4 335 Dan Wilkinson. In Buffalo Perry Fewell was hired as the DC and put in the Tampa 2, using the smaller sized guys. If I'm not mistaken, Holmgren has always preferred larger than 300 lb types along the line, so even with the switch to the 43, I think we'll see an emphasis on stopping the run first.

Quote:

We're running a 2 gap 4-3 defense. We're basically running 2 NT who are lining up in the A gaps. Rubin and Taylor are set to stop the run and take on blockers at the same time while pushing the pocket into the QB. I expect Sheard to play the strong side DE while we target someone in free agency for a weakside rush end. Benard at worst will be a situational pass rusher but may be our starting RDE.
Exactly. But I'll bet Jayme Mitchell is signed and starts over Bernard.

WR Momass = More suited as a 3rd WR tho. I'd rather see Cribbs start.
OLT Thomas
OLG Steinbach
OC Mack
ORG Yates
= Not going to surprise me if he wins a start. Agreed he played well initially before he got hurt. If Womack returns then he's in the mix here or at RT.
ORT Pashos = Probably by default. Part of me thinks Pinkston could challenge here.
TE Watson
QB McCoy
= Our little chihuahua
WR Little = If Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin had a baby, he'd be Greg Little. I'd like to see him earn a start. I also heard something about Moore playing here this season.
RB Hillis = He doesn't believe in the curse but I do. Hope Hardesty is healthy.
FB Vickers = Unless he's traded he could be a Brown for at least one more season. I'm not buying Marecic is any more versatile than Lawrence.

DLE Sheard
DLT Rubin
DRT Taylor
DRE Mitchell
SLB Fujita
MLB Gocong
WLB Jackson
LCB Haden

RCB Brown = unless we end up with a hole at S-wouldn't mind seeing Brown move over, even tho that means another season with Wright starting.
SS Whitner = I like it.
FS Ward

K- Dawson
P- Hodges
R- Cribbs/Skrine?
LS- Pontbriand

Quote:
Quote:
....ask Brandon Weeden.

Last edited by Brown Leader : 05-10-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:55 PM    (permalink
j05son
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Exactly. But I'll bet Jayme Mitchell is signed and starts over Bernard.
I actually thought this too. Not a lot of names in free agency and Heckert likes Mitchell. However I think Mitchell is a LDE and Sheard will move to RDE. Mitchell is a big boy weighing around 285.