Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 06-20-2011, 09:58 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My wish list for the Red Wings:

- trade Jiri Hudler (either for draft picks or a defenseman)
- sign Jaromir Jagr
- sign Kevin Bieksa
- sign James Wisniewski
- sign a backup goalie (Marty Turco? Ty Conklin?)
- re-sign Jonathan Ericsson and Patrick Eaves (or Drew Miller)

They certainly have the cap space to make it happen.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:06 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Xio, Im pretty certain that we'll get Wisniewski. How do you feel about going after Pitkanen if Bieksa stays in Vancouver? I know he tends to make bone-headed decisions, but Ive always kinda liked him.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:14 AM    (permalink
Jensen
SWDC Mafia
All-Pro

Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wishlist for the Sharks that will 99% not happen:
  • sign Zenon Konopka (4th line C)
  • sign Eric Brewer (top 4 dman)
  • trade Niittymaki for draft pick
  • trade Mitchell for draft pick
  • re-sign Setoguchi
  • find a way to trade Heatley
  • sign Joel Ward and/or Scottie Upshall

BoneKrusher
Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:41 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope Jagr comes back and becomes a Penguin. If he takes a 2.5 offer or below, I'd put him with Sid.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:43 PM    (permalink
slightlyaraiderfan
All-NFLDC

slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Reports that Smytty wants to end his career in Edmonton, bummed to see him go, he's one of the good guys...and hopefully it gets done, for him and for the Kings, which will free up about 6.5, we need ze offense.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:30 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDris View Post
Xio, Im pretty certain that we'll get Wisniewski. How do you feel about going after Pitkanen if Bieksa stays in Vancouver? I know he tends to make bone-headed decisions, but Ive always kinda liked him.
Have you read something to back that up?

I'm OK with Pitkanen, in theory. I just feel like the Wings have the money, the franchise appeal, and the need for the top defenseman on the market. Bieksa will be targeted and the Canucks have several players to re-sign.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:42 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

I wanna get a feel for how you guys rank the free agent defenseman this offseason. Some of the Eastern Conference guys are a little too unfamiliar to me still.

Rank Em (or perhaps put them in tiers):

Kevin Bieksa, James Wisniewski, Christian Ehrhoff, Joni Pitkanen, Andrei Markov, Eric Brewer, Jonathan Ericsson, Tomas Kaberle, Ed Jovanovski, Ian White
Old 06-20-2011, 05:43 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

From what I know, my top 3 targets among them for Detroit are:
1. Bieksa
2. Wisniewski
3. Ehrhoff
Old 06-20-2011, 09:36 PM    (permalink
bigredballer
Rookie

bigredballer is a cocksman.bigredballer is a cocksman.bigredballer is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
My wish list for the Red Wings:

- trade Jiri Hudler (either for draft picks or a defenseman)
- sign Jaromir Jagr
- sign Kevin Bieksa
- sign James Wisniewski
- sign a backup goalie (Marty Turco? Ty Conklin?)
- re-sign Jonathan Ericsson and Patrick Eaves (or Drew Miller)

They certainly have the cap space to make it happen.
I don't see the need for both Bieksa AND Wisniewski, especially if we are re-signing Ericsson. Kindl will be up and step in so we would really only need one D-man. (Plus we have Meech, Janek, Smith, etc.) Ideally I'd love them to overpay for Weber and force Nashville to decide between him and Rinne who is a FA next season. I guess I'm just not high on any of the Free Agent defenseman this year.
bigredballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:42 AM    (permalink
Verloren
Veteran

Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredballer View Post
I don't see the need for both Bieksa AND Wisniewski, especially if we are re-signing Ericsson. Kindl will be up and step in so we would really only need one D-man. (Plus we have Meech, Janek, Smith, etc.) Ideally I'd love them to overpay for Weber and force Nashville to decide between him and Rinne who is a FA next season. I guess I'm just not high on any of the Free Agent defenseman this year.
Cannot overpay for Weber - Nashville opted for arbitration, which means he won't be available on offer sheets. Same applies for Parise.

Best bet Detroit has of getting Weber is to see if the arbitrator awards Weber more money than Nashville thinks he should get and he gets shopped on the block/lets him walk.
Verloren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:56 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Jagr becomes a Pen. If not, I'll be heartbroken especially if it is to the Wings!
Old 06-21-2011, 10:15 AM    (permalink
Jensen
SWDC Mafia
All-Pro

Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verloren View Post
Cannot overpay for Weber - Nashville opted for arbitration, which means he won't be available on offer sheets. Same applies for Parise.

Best bet Detroit has of getting Weber is to see if the arbitrator awards Weber more money than Nashville thinks he should get and he gets shopped on the block/lets him walk.
Nashville would match anything.

BoneKrusher
Old 06-21-2011, 10:40 AM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The NHL needs more players named Ziggy.

Thank you for sensibility, Jensen.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:53 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMcgee View Post
The NHL needs more players named Ziggy.

Thank you for sensibility, Jensen.
Ziggy Palffy needs to come out of retirement ASAP!
Old 06-21-2011, 11:10 AM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines View Post
Ziggy Palffy needs to come out of retirement ASAP!
I wish his career had started about 3 years earlier so he could've played on a decent Islanders team and possibly score 130 points in the insane 92-93 season.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:32 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredballer View Post
Well, I don't think they should re-sign Ericsson. I'd aim for two defenseman this offseason that you'd feel comfortable with as Top 4 defenseman on the team in the 2012-13 season.

Remember than Kronwall and Stuart will be free agents after this season. Kronwall will be due a sizable raise. Maybe 4.5-5 million a year. Stuart will likely make about what he makes now (4 million). Add the fact that Lidstrom is unlikely to be here beyond this season.

Also, Derek Meech is garbage. If he were anything but garbage, he'd have played a game for us last year or actually been claimed off waivers when he was placed on them before last season. Doug Janik is not an NHL defenseman. And Brendan Smith needs more time in Grand Rapids. Kindl is a 6th defenseman.

Lidstrom - Bieksa/Ehrhoff
Kronwall - Wisniewski
Stuart - Kindl

That's what I need to see to be satisfied with our defense this year. I'd be open to re-signing Ruslan Salei as a cheap 7th defenseman (cause we'll need one).
Old 06-21-2011, 11:33 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
I wanna get a feel for how you guys rank the free agent defenseman this offseason. Some of the Eastern Conference guys are a little too unfamiliar to me still.

Kevin Bieksa, James Wisniewski, Christian Ehrhoff, Joni Pitkanen, Andrei Markov, Eric Brewer, Jonathan Ericsson, Tomas Kaberle, Ed Jovanovski, Ian White
No one wanna throw out an opinion on this?

Rank the top free agent blueliners?
Old 06-21-2011, 08:57 PM    (permalink
Verloren
Veteran

Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensen View Post
Nashville would match anything.
The only problem I would see with Nashville deciding between Weber/Rinne is their internal salary cap. No idea what it is, but Nashville rarely spends up to the cap. Maybe the owners raise it high enough so they can keep Weber and Rinne (really hoping it works out this way).
Verloren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:56 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

I'd guess they keep both of them. Suter is probably the one that could be out of the mix.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:02 PM    (permalink
Jensen
SWDC Mafia
All-Pro

Quote:

They're all pretty close together, it just depends what team/system they go to. It's also tough to rank completely different defensemen. It depends on what you value more or what you're team needs more between a OFD/TWD/DFD. If I HAD to rank them...

1st tier
Markov
Kaberle
Ehrhoff
Pitkanen

2nd tier
Wisniewski
Brewer
White

3rd tier
Bieksa
Jovocop
Ericsson

BoneKrusher
Old 06-21-2011, 11:08 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

Markova is now signed, and I'm glad no other team is going to have to risk him.

I dont love Pitkanen as much. I'd rather have Wis or White.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:07 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

I really am convinced James Wisniewski is the top target for the Wings. But I think its entirely possible Ken Holland gets two of the better blueliners on the market and lets Ericsson walk. I want Ehrhoff too and we certainly have the money.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:40 AM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

Draft Wishlist:

Bartschi
Miller
McNeil
Jensen
Phillips

Siemens or Klefbom, too, but I've been thinking we go forward.

Some total bust options in there (unheard of in the mid-first!). But it's what I'm liking right now. No comment on if my obsession with Swiss/Danes factored into this.

Last edited by SuperMcGee : 06-22-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:25 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensen View Post
They're all pretty close together, it just depends what team/system they go to. It's also tough to rank completely different defensemen. It depends on what you value more or what you're team needs more between a OFD/TWD/DFD. If I HAD to rank them...

1st tier
Markov
Kaberle
Ehrhoff
Pitkanen

2nd tier
Wisniewski
Brewer
White

3rd tier
Bieksa
Jovocop
Ericsson
Just to confirm, you mean Tier in terms of Offense/Two-way/Defensive rather than Talent Tier?

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:54 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Rumored that the Flyers are going to give Bryzgalov 7 for 50 million lol.