Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2015 NFL Draft Forum

2015 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2015 NFL Draft

Old 07-04-2011, 07:10 PM    (permalink
ellsy82
Veteran

ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
That's what HC Edsall is saying, that Tate can make more plays for the Terps this season at OLB.

But I think UMD will use him more like a rover, similar to the way the Seminoles used Derrick Brooks.

I think it sucks, but in theory there's no way you can play a 'playmaker' out of position.
Great players find ways to make good things happen no matter where you line them up.
True...this kid will be dynamic no matter where they place him at.
ellsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:22 PM    (permalink
HakeemtheMachine
Rookie

HakeemtheMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HakeemtheMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HakeemtheMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HakeemtheMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HakeemtheMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HakeemtheMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HakeemtheMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HakeemtheMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HakeemtheMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HakeemtheMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HakeemtheMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That's what HC Edsall is saying, that Tate can make more plays for the Terps this season at OLB.

But I think UMD will use him more like a rover, similar to the way the Seminoles used Derrick Brooks.

I think it sucks, but in theory there's no way you can play a 'playmaker' out of position.
Great players find ways to make good things happen no matter where you line them up.
He was used as a rover before this is nothing new. Its not like they put him out in Cover 2 or 1 all day the guy was used all over the field and was the primary blitzer for Maryland
HakeemtheMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:42 PM    (permalink
HakeemtheMachine
Rookie

HakeemtheMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HakeemtheMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HakeemtheMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HakeemtheMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HakeemtheMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HakeemtheMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HakeemtheMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HakeemtheMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HakeemtheMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HakeemtheMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HakeemtheMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBNYDP View Post
I like him a lot better right now.
Frankly I said it before in previous threads but I didn't see the great coverage skills everyone else saw. I felt his instincts were off, and he wasn't quick to the ball at all. But probably the biggest problem I had was he did not seem fluid, I thought he played quite stiffly and had some problems turning and running. I also said that the part that I liked the most was when he was in the box, used as blitzing OLB, and as a run-chase tackler. I think he really fits that WILL spot in the 4-3, and I could see him being a first round pick at that position with a good year as long as he adds some weight. I also think he is a pretty good fit for the SS position, but with a lot of teams requiring their safeties to do more and more covering (in addition to the trend of a lack of distinction between your two safeties) I'm not sure he'll be looked at that highly.

And I'll say about Maryland is that while we've seen the athletic freaks they've produced, we haven't seen the great football players they produced. There is generally a give and take in everything in life, for Maryland that would mean sacrificing some technical skill for more athletic ability. We've seen that at a lot of positions at the NFL level, a high level of technical skill and understanding of the position is more important than athletic ability.
I agree with pretty much everything U posted. He is to stiff for FS in the NFL. He may be a good fit at safety for the Patriots or a team like the Giants with Perry Fewell who used Deion Grant in a tweener LB/safety role last year. I think U put 10 pounds on him and he is a nasty WLB. He isnt very fluid for a safety but for a WLB he has elite athleticism . I dont see this move by Edsall as that big of a deal. Again its not like he was a traditional safety anyway. I think this highlights his skills and diminishes his weaknesses. I was most impressed with him going forward and attacking the line of scrimmage. Not turning and running with receivers or playing deep zone coverage. The best he looked in coverage was playing the flats taking away throwing lanes whch is perfect for an OLB.

Last edited by HakeemtheMachine : 07-04-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:43 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, but Kenny actually was used in coverage quite a bit last season all over the field.

Edsall is talking about Tate like he's a part of the front 7.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:33 PM    (permalink
HakeemtheMachine
Rookie

Quote:
Yeah, but Kenny actually was used in coverage quite a bit last season all over the field.

Edsall is talking about Tate like he's a part of the front 7.
Quite a bit for a safety? I would disagree with that, in terms of snaps maybe. I dont think he is fluid enough to be a NFL Free safety doesnt have the instincts to play deep either. His height is a detriment in man coverage. Maryland uses him in the slot but most of the time he blitzes from there it was rather predictable as well but thats another discussion about Marylands coaching. I think Edsall has the right idea moving him as he would not be a FS in the NFL. Edsall is a superior coach to Ralph Friedgen and it will become obvious very quickly at Maryland
Old 07-04-2011, 08:49 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Edsall won't do anything at UMD that the Fridge didn't do.

Firing Friedgen and hiring Edsall was strictly a lateral move by the AD because Friedgen didn't give boosters a hardon and didn't sellout their stadium.

Fridge won the ACC. He took the Terps to a BCS game and had three consecutive 10 + win seasons to start his career at Maryland.

Edsall is a JAG coach, it's not like Maryland just signed Bob Stoops.

People are talking as if Tate is getting his jock stolen in coverage, which isn't the case. His instincts in the passing game are one of his strengths as a football player.

He recovers IMO better than any CB on UMD's football team and he doesn't bite on play action.

The Terps beat Florida State last year because of Tate's play at the LOS and his ability to get deep and play the pass.

This isn't Taylor Mays we're talking about, and Tate's height is an asset in pass coverage, not a liability.

Tate at safety in the pros, since in the NFL there really isn't such a thing as a pure FS or SS anymore, IMO is his best position.

I don't wanna see him bulk up 25-30# to play 43 OLB.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:07 PM    (permalink
HakeemtheMachine
Rookie

He does not have the range to play Centerfied . He is strictly a SS if anything. I think more NFL teams will adapt these Nickel bases like TCU and Nebraska. Tate is a great fit as the "Nickel rover" in those systems. If not WLB is his best NFL position to me. He goes from average range , below man coverage skills for a safety to having great attributes for an OLB. His height will be an asset to play the short zones and cover receiving TE's as a OLB
Old 07-05-2011, 11:49 AM    (permalink
REDSKINSWARRIOR82
Rookie

REDSKINSWARRIOR82 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordofi View Post
Maryland should be in the national championship hunt EVERY year. No reason that they can't with the talent in the Maryland/D.C. area.
The problem with my Terps is that. we surround this super athletes with below average players are athletes. we will get a class od recruits with 3 mega athlete transformers and the other 17 players are like above average div 1 aa players.
REDSKINSWARRIOR82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:51 AM    (permalink
REDSKINSWARRIOR82
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBNYDP View Post
I like him a lot better right now.
Frankly I said it before in previous threads but I didn't see the great coverage skills everyone else saw. I felt his instincts were off, and he wasn't quick to the ball at all. But probably the biggest problem I had was he did not seem fluid, I thought he played quite stiffly and had some problems turning and running. I also said that the part that I liked the most was when he was in the box, used as blitzing OLB, and as a run-chase tackler. I think he really fits that WILL spot in the 4-3, and I could see him being a first round pick at that position with a good year as long as he adds some weight. I also think he is a pretty good fit for the SS position, but with a lot of teams requiring their safeties to do more and more covering (in addition to the trend of a lack of distinction between your two safeties) I'm not sure he'll be looked at that highly.

And I'll say about Maryland is that while we've seen the athletic freaks they've produced, we haven't seen the great football players they produced. There is generally a give and take in everything in life, for Maryland that would mean sacrificing some technical skill for more athletic ability. We've seen that at a lot of positions at the NFL level, a high level of technical skill and understanding of the position is more important than athletic ability.

What the heck are you talking about we dont make good players

1. Dominique Foxworth,

2. Shawne Merriman

3. Ej Henderson

4. Lamont Jordan -Rb

5. Scott - Cb steelers

6. Josh Wilson -cb ravens

on and on
Old 07-05-2011, 11:54 AM    (permalink
REDSKINSWARRIOR82
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HakeemtheMachine View Post
Tate was a hybrid player, Its not like he was a stereotypical safety anyway. They lined him up everywhere except DT. Most of his impact plays came when he was near the line of scrimmage not when he was back in coverage. If anything I think he will be in better position to make big plays. He wasnt all that great in coverage for a safety anyway but for a LB he will be excellent.
Yeah you guys are right i am Terp fan so i speaking emotional. Tate showed up to Spring practice even bigger this year, at 6'4 230 pounds. Randy Edsall was like ok i have seen enough your a Linebacker lol. But people are saying that will help him have a longer career in the NFL.

its kind of what happened with Patrick Peterson . Tate and Peterson are just out growing their positions. PP is too big for Cb, and Tate is too big to be a Free safety.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:27 PM    (permalink
HakeemtheMachine
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINSWARRIOR82 View Post
Yeah you guys are right i am Terp fan so i speaking emotional. Tate showed up to Spring practice even bigger this year, at 6'4 230 pounds. Randy Edsall was like ok i have seen enough your a Linebacker lol. But people are saying that will help him have a longer career in the NFL.

its kind of what happened with Patrick Peterson . Tate and Peterson are just out growing their positions. PP is too big for Cb, and Tate is too big to be a Free safety.
I like him a lot as a OLB. I was never crazy about his man coverage skills and his ability to play the deep ball which are crucial to being a FS . His body type is much more suited to play Linebacker . While being 6'4" is detriment when trying to mirror WR's its ideal for getting in the throwing lanes and playing the short zones that he will be asked to fill as an OLB. While his short area quickness is not ideal for matching NFL WR's it is more than adequate to go against some of the better receiving TE's and H-Backs in the NFL. His height and leaping ability will also be a welcome asset when trying to defend these players in the red zone. Tate was at his best when he was near the line of scrimmage attacking the run or blitzing. Edasall recognized he didnt have the range or quickness to play FS in the NFL and wisely decided to move him. I think this highlights his strengths and minimizes his weaknesses
Old 07-05-2011, 05:19 PM    (permalink
REDSKINSWARRIOR82
Rookie

Quote:
I like him a lot as a OLB. I was never crazy about his man coverage skills and his ability to play the deep ball which are crucial to being a FS . His body type is much more suited to play Linebacker . While being 6'4" is detriment when trying to mirror WR's its ideal for getting in the throwing lanes and playing the short zones that he will be asked to fill as an OLB. While his short area quickness is not ideal for matching NFL WR's it is more than adequate to go against some of the better receiving TE's and H-Backs in the NFL. His height and leaping ability will also be a welcome asset when trying to defend these players in the red zone. Tate was at his best when he was near the line of scrimmage attacking the run or blitzing. Edasall recognized he didnt have the range or quickness to play FS in the NFL and wisely decided to move him. I think this highlights his strengths and minimizes his weaknesses
Yes your correct . Tate is more poor mans Lawrence Taylor , Lavar Arrington. Than a Adrian Wilson. Last year 85% of the time in was playing in the fronf 7 with the linebacker. He was our best pass rusher las t year. he so quick for Offensive Lineman they just couldnt even get a hand on him. He is way to big and strong for college Rb's and even Fb. And his pass rushing moves just get better every year. i wouldnt be shocked if in the nex t year he grows into a 4-3 , 3-4 outside linebacker Von Miller. Tate is just an Elite athlete and at Linebacker, at that spot he has a better chance to show his closen speed which to me is Corner back line he just closes like a Shark to a seal in water. Its just Amazing and he hits like he wants to force a Fumble everytime.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:08 PM    (permalink
wordofi
Veteran

wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi

Quote:
Yes your correct . Tate is more poor mans Lawrence Taylor , Lavar Arrington. Than a Adrian Wilson. Last year 85% of the time in was playing in the fronf 7 with the linebacker. He was our best pass rusher las t year. he so quick for Offensive Lineman they just couldnt even get a hand on him. He is way to big and strong for college Rb's and even Fb. And his pass rushing moves just get better every year. i wouldnt be shocked if in the nex t year he grows into a 4-3 , 3-4 outside linebacker Von Miller. Tate is just an Elite athlete and at Linebacker, at that spot he has a better chance to show his closen speed which to me is Corner back line he just closes like a Shark to a seal in water. Its just Amazing and he hits like he wants to force a Fumble everytime.
Será interesante ver si Kenny Tate juega la seguridad o el linebacker de la NFL. Él no es definitivamente un fuerte gratuita.
wordofi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:20 AM    (permalink
REDSKINSWARRIOR82
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordofi View Post
Será interesante ver si Kenny Tate juega la seguridad o el linebacker de la NFL. Él no es definitivamente un fuerte gratuita.
your mama lol
Old 07-09-2011, 11:22 AM    (permalink
ellsy82
Veteran

ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

At this point, I'd rather take Tate over Ray Ray and Telemaque. I rate him right behind Lester...lots of football to be played though.
ellsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:54 PM    (permalink
DBNYDP
Veteran

DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was referring to guys like Bruce Campbell. To be fair the guys you mentioned are solid players but none except Merriman was a star and I'm not sure if he'd be that good without the enhancements he received, was never huge on his technical skill as a pass rusher.
DBNYDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:06 AM    (permalink
REDSKINSWARRIOR82
Rookie

I also forgot to Add D'Qual Jackson Lb Cleveland, And Jared Gaither OT Baltimore Ravens. And Jeremine Lewis Super bowl Wr,Kick returner. For a Basketball school like Maryland. We produce some really talented footballplayers if you ask me then also Dt,s like Kris Jenkins Stars nose guard fromthe Jets,yep he is a Terp. Randy Sparks Dt Terp too. Darius Hey-Bey has had a rough start to his NFL career but this year i bet he takes off.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:08 AM    (permalink
REDSKINSWARRIOR82
Rookie

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellsy82 View Post
At this point, I'd rather take Tate over Ray Ray and Telemaque. I rate him right behind Lester...lots of football to be played though.
Tate's best thing he does is tackle , in a day and age where Db;s all they want to do is get picks or get the knock out hit, Kenny Tate is a throw back he form tackles. He has Outstanding closing deep for a big man he closed like a Big corner back Hits like a Linebacker. he can rush the passer. To he is a bigger version of Troy Polamalu. Plus he has alittle bit better ball skills too. Soft hands he a a wide out in HS.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:13 PM    (permalink
roscoesdad27
Veteran

roscoesdad27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roscoesdad27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roscoesdad27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roscoesdad27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roscoesdad27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roscoesdad27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roscoesdad27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roscoesdad27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roscoesdad27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roscoesdad27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roscoesdad27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He would fit perfectly on the Jets who needs a s.s. to replace Rhodes and a pass rusher. He could blitz from all angles in that scheme + has coverage abilty to keep the offense guessing.....if any team can take advantage of a hybrid olb/s.s. its the Jets.
roscoesdad27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:01 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

Quote:
He has Outstanding closing deep for a big man he closed like a Big corner back Hits like a Linebacker. he can rush the passer. To me is a bigger version of Troy Polamalu. Plus he has alittle bit better ball skills too. Soft hands he a a wide out in HS.
I don't think Tate is quite that instinctive, but as a Terps fan I like the comparison!!!
Old 07-10-2011, 09:35 PM    (permalink
HakeemtheMachine
Rookie

Quote:
I don't think Tate is quite that instinctive, but as a Terps fan I like the comparison!!!
Nowhere near as instinctive especially in pass coverage. I think Tate is a much btter fit as an OLB I could see SS but his skills and body type are higlighted at LB.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:35 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

Quote:
Nowhere near as instinctive especially in pass coverage. I think Tate is a much btter fit as an OLB I could see SS but his skills and body type are higlighted at LB.
Again I feel like you're implying Tate has trouble dropping in coverage or is too stiff to run with WRs.

WHenever he's been asked to cover zones, double over the top or close on a deep WR breaking free, Tate is there to make the play.

I think anyone would struggle to find examples from last season were Tate was 'exposed' when he was asked to cover.
If it's true that Tate showed up to spring ball weighing 230#, then this convo is moot. He's an OLB present and future.

Where was all this talk when Taylor Mays came out about his best pro position being OLB??

His game absolutely translates to OLB, considering his limited coverage skills.

I know I said that Mays should have been an OLB, but we were among a small minority on SWDC making the case.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:49 AM    (permalink
REDSKINSWARRIOR82
Rookie

Kenny Tate is a Rover postion, half S Half OLB.
HE is on Both watch list for the Thorpe award and the Butkus Award amazing. and like 3 other defensive national awards too.

Tate Named to Butkus Award Watch List
Kenny Tate earned another preseason honor Thursday as he was placed on the watch list for the 2011 Butkus Award, which is awarded annually to the nation's best ...
http://www.umterps.com/sports/m-foot...071411aac.html -

College Football Awards: Maryland's Kenny Tate On Jim Thorpe Award Watch List

by Mike Prada • Jul 12, 2011 1:38 PM EDT

Kenny Tate is going to be on a lot of preseason college football award watch lists after having a fantastic junior season for the Maryland Terrapins. He already made the watch list for the Bednarik Award, which goes to the best defensive player in the country. Now, he's also made the watch list for the Jim Thorpe Award, given annually to the nation's best defensive back.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:43 PM    (permalink
Big Bird
Rookie

Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tate reminds me a lot of Roy Williams. Freakish athletic ability (though Tate is freakier) and both a heck of a lot to deal with in the box because of their speed and strength. Tate also does a nice job of diagnosing plays in front of him and moving towards them. I think he has good enough coverage skills to stay at Safety in the NFL, much like Roy. Sure, he'll probably get burnt from time to time, but Tate also isn't lacking in awareness lack Roy was in the second half of his career.
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:21 PM    (permalink
REDSKINSWARRIOR82
Rookie

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
Tate reminds me a lot of Roy Williams. Freakish athletic ability (though Tate is freakier) and both a heck of a lot to deal with in the box because of their speed and strength. Tate also does a nice job of diagnosing plays in front of him and moving towards them. I think he has good enough coverage skills to stay at Safety in the NFL, much like Roy. Sure, he'll probably get burnt from time to time, but Tate also isn't lacking in awareness lack Roy was in the second half of his career.
Yeah hehas a better body frame than Roy, Roy was about 6'1/ Kenny is 6'4 and his wing span is about 6'9. He is so much fun to watch i just cant wait for the Terps/Miami game Sept 5th national Tv. When was the last time a player was on both Throupe and Bukus award watch list? He was preseason ALL AMERICAN at FS National. He was put as the #3 Linebacker in the Whole ACC. and he has neverplayed 1 down AT LB. Just shows you what type of Athlete your dealing with. I honestly feel he could play both sides of the ball and Maybe some Wideout / H-back in the redzone he has a 40 inch vert and great hands.