Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 07-23-2011, 11:53 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
All-Pro

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweater-vest_mafia View Post
No but really what went on at USC involved multiple athletes in multiple sports, thats why the NCAA came down so hard on them. To put what went on at THE Ohio State University in the same breath is laughable.
They also denied that they did anything wrong and hid stuff.

OSU (on the face, and that face was accepted by the NCAA) was cooperative.

Plus they weren't repeat offenders.

Plus (like I said above), there was no LOIC charge.

SI and ESPN can suck a nut.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:21 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

everything the NCAA found at Ohio State was self-reported. Even Tressel lying was self-reported. USC didn't self-report a thing, it was all uncovered by external investigation. Plus there was a lot more than just the isolated tatt-5 incident. Having a star recruit's family get a big break on housing benefits is a little bigger eh?
Old 07-25-2011, 09:27 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
All-Pro

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Excellent write up of the media's handling of the situation.

Click me.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:56 AM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What a ****** joke this situation is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:08 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
What a ****** joke this situation is.
Assuming that you mean that it's a joke that OSU is going to "get away" with their coach getting fired, their star QB fired, 4 other players suspended for 5 games, and two years of probation, then you have got be kidding me.

The NCAA may add a year or two of probation. Maybe a year or two of a couple of pulled schollies.

But all of this for some tattoos and the coach covering it up seems fair. There are no other infractions or facts that have been smeared by some dolts with an agenda in the media.

Can you please denounce anything in that article I linked? USC denied and buried their issues. OSU did not. There were over 30 major violations at USC, at OSU, there were 5. USC had serious problems in both football and basketball.

I understand that it's sometimes hard to rationally process information and filter the hyperbole from the facts. The media is powerful that way.

In very few ways was the USC situation like OSU's.

Again, all of this idiocy can be avoided by legitimizing the paying of players. It already happens, and it needs to be regulated and done cleanly, to eliminate the shady characters.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:31 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They got off with NO "lack of institutional control" are you ******* kidding me? Their coach KNEW of rules they have broken and kept it to himself for months. He KNEW he was playing ineligible players because he was holding it back!

USC got these sanctions due to one player, they know of at least 5 from OSU.

The fact of the matter is that OSU got off really ****** easy for what they did, if youre going to lay the hammer down on USC, you better do it to everyone.

Quote:
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:06 PM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
They got off with NO "lack of institutional control" are you ******* kidding me? Their coach KNEW of rules they have broken and kept it to himself for months. He KNEW he was playing ineligible players because he was holding it back!

The fact of the matter is that OSU got off really ****** easy for what they did, if youre going to lay the hammer down on USC, you better do it to everyone.
USC got Lack of Institutional Control because the entire ahtletic department was corrupt. An institution does not refer to one man (Jim Tressel), in fact, believe it or not institution refers to an institution for example: a scummy athletic department (USC AD). THE Ohio State Universities athletic department opened up their books to the NCAA and self reported, USC tried to hide it.

As far as one player... the NCAA imposed sanctions against USC because of violations involving MULTIPLE players in MULTIPLE sports. Last time I checked "multiple" implies more than just one.

but by all means keep hatin ;)

I PITY THE FOOL WHO DON'T BELIEVE ME
BK sig is straight sex
THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
Miller is visual sex on the field.

Last edited by Sloopy : 07-25-2011 at 02:07 PM. Reason: typo
Sloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:08 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

the coach is gone and lighter in the wallet as well, the five players who broke the rules are suspended for 5 games and have to pay the money back to a charity that they made off of selling their memorabilia, the 2010 season was vacated, and the program is on 2 years probation. it's not like they got off scot-free. USC broke 31 by-laws, OSU broke 5...and unlike USC, OSU invited the NCAA in after self-reporting the incident. the OSU/USC comparisons are just a media created thing, everytime a school gets in trouble for major violations from now on they will be compared to USC unjustly.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:18 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

crime doesn't fit the punishment(s)

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:29 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

Quote:
USC got Lack of Institutional Control because the entire ahtletic department was corrupt. An institution does not refer to one man (Jim Tressel), in fact, believe it or not institution refers to an institution for example: a scummy athletic department (USC AD). THE Ohio State Universities athletic department opened up their books to the NCAA and self reported, USC tried to hide it.

As far as one player... the NCAA imposed sanctions against USC because of violations involving MULTIPLE players in MULTIPLE sports. Last time I checked "multiple" implies more than just one.

but by all means keep hatin ;)
A year after the fact? Real good self policing.

Typical NCAA though...big 10 and SEC players members get off with a slap on the wrist.

Quote:
Old 07-25-2011, 02:32 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
All-Pro

Quote:

So you didn't read the article or are neglecting to address the points of difference?

I understand that you are a fan of USC and that it bothers you that the school got hit moderately hard. But there are many reasons for that, the primary one is that AD was aware of some serious issues and did nothing to address them. Moreover, the AD denied that there were issues once the NCAA became involved. That is LOIC.

LOIC doesn't mean that there will be no issues. It is how the AD responds to the issues when the arise.

The story is that JT didn't tell anyone in the OSU AD (i.e. compliance). This is the story line so that the AD didn't have an LOIC because they didn't know about the Tat5 because JT didn't tell them. I don't necessarily believe the narrative, but the facts are consistent with that narrative.

Again, look at the facts, Sick. The NCAA can only stick with the facts when dealing with violations and punishment.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:39 PM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Typical NCAA though...big 10 and SEC players members get off with a slap on the wrist.
ROFL

THE Ohio State University athletic department suspended the players for the first 5 games of the following season as soon as they found out, so actually not a year later and the NCAA knew about the violations and the self imposed punishment and accepted the punishment. THEN, they self imposed further sanctions after it was found Tressel knew before they did.

again... the university of sexual ballers was a corrupt INSTITUTION and there for got slapped with lack of institutional control. THE Ohio State University opened up completely to the NCAA and the ONLY thing they found was what had already been self-reported and self-policed. The fact that nothing else was found says a lot considering the things going on at other universities around the country INCLUDING USC

also again... stay mad

BK sig is straight sex
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Old 07-25-2011, 02:40 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
All-Pro

Quote:

You must be intentionally missing the point. The AD opened it's books only when JT told them that he had some phone calls and emails with Cicero (the lawyer involved in the FBI case). JT told the AD in January. They self reported right after that. When the self reported, someone leaked that info to Yahoo!

Please get your facts straight.

If your baseball coach committed a crime six months ago, and you just found out and the cops were after you, would you be in trouble for the six month lag? Or would you be fine because you reported the info when you found out about it?

You don't seem to understand what LOIC means. The USC AD, from the top down, went into denial mode and tried to bury all facts. The NCAA was able to demonstrate that the AD knew about the issues at USC and did nothing to stop them and they let the environment that spawned them exist.

That's why USC has a new athletic director. That's why Pete Carroll took off in the middle of the night. There were systemic problems that the AD did nothing to rectify and even worse off, tried to bury evidence of. The AD was brazenly defiant the whole way. Amazing how cocky that douchebag was.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:34 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
All-Pro

Here's an excellent summary of the findings by a non-OSU guy. A guy that actually was slamming OSU the whole way until he read the report.

Aaron Torres

Quote:
Not only did it not appear that Ohio State wasn’t going to get hit with major sanctions, quite frankly, it doesn't appear they should be. If anything, Ohio State was running an Athletics Department, gulp, about as efficiently as you can.
And my favorite, for some of the posters here:
Quote:
Myth No. 3: Ohio State Should’ve Done More!

Umm, no they shouldn’t have. Quite frankly, I’m not sure they could have. Simply put, anyone who is still saying that Ohio State “could’ve or should've done more,” is either an idiot, or didn't read the report. In some cases both (No offense).

Last edited by JoeJoeBrown : 07-26-2011 at 12:40 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:55 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i dont think they should be any more punished then they already have been. losing those 5 players MIGHT mean 5 losses, but losing Pryor AND Tressel kinda seals the deal that they wont be winning anymore.

i think the guys at fault here are the ones that won't be playing for the first 5 games and Jim Tressel. he lost his job for his wrong. i dont think the whole athletic department should be punished for these guys.

with that said, i think USC was hit too hard. but then again, i never understood why NCAA punishes teams NOW for what happened 4-5 years ago. i know they should still be punished but your punishing kids that had nothing to do with the issue. take away bush's heisman, forfeit seasons, place the department(and anyone who knew) on probation. fine people. i dont know

Old 07-26-2011, 04:21 PM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
i dont think they should be any more punished then they already have been. losing those 5 players MIGHT mean 5 losses, but losing Pryor AND Tressel kinda seals the deal that they wont be winning anymore.

i think the guys at fault here are the ones that won't be playing for the first 5 games and Jim Tressel. he lost his job for his wrong. i dont think the whole athletic department should be punished for these guys.

with that said, i think USC was hit too hard. but then again, i never understood why NCAA punishes teams NOW for what happened 4-5 years ago. i know they should still be punished but your punishing kids that had nothing to do with the issue. take away bush's heisman, forfeit seasons, place the department(and anyone who knew) on probation. fine people. i dont know
I would almost be willing to say Pryor leaving helps our chances in those five games, never really liked him. It's a tough call but I wouldn't say its a definite that we lose those 5 games, we are favored to win the Big Ten and are predicted to be ranked in the top 10 in the country

BK sig is straight sex
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Old 07-26-2011, 04:39 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I would almost be willing to say Pryor leaving helps our chances in those five games, never really liked him. It's a tough call but I wouldn't say its a definite that we lose those 5 games, we are favored to win the Big Ten and are predicted to be ranked in the top 10 in the country
i dont think you keep the ranking and all the preseason accolades and predictions when you lose your starting RB, WR, LT for five games and your head coach and starting QB for the season.

it would be amazing to think its possible for you guys to win the big 10. but, given the suspensions, i'd say its Nebraskas conference to lose

Old 07-26-2011, 04:46 PM    (permalink
mellojello
Veteran

mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There is a lot of misinformation being posted here about what SC was sanctioned for by the NCAA, particularly by the Ohio St. contingent. Ohio St. is not any "cleaner" of a program than SC was during the Pete Carroll era. Congrats to Ohio St. fans, I think you should be happy with the outcome. To SC fans, oh well, life isn't fair, but life goes on.
mellojello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:06 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellojello View Post
There is a lot of misinformation being posted here about what SC was sanctioned for by the NCAA, particularly by the Ohio St. contingent. Ohio St. is not any "cleaner" of a program than SC was during the Pete Carroll era. Congrats to Ohio St. fans, I think you should be happy with the outcome. To SC fans, oh well, life isn't fair, but life goes on.
please elaborate

Old 07-26-2011, 05:13 PM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellojello View Post
Stating that there is misinformation being posted with no follow up of claimed "correct" information = fail. Follow that up with a claim that THE Ohio State University is unclean without any quantifying information makes you no better than the here-say and fodder being spread by the talking heads on TV. You should be an intern at ESPN there friend your on the right track.

I am happy with the outcome. I think that the NCAA did the right thing here in not imposing further punishment, considering no further claims of violations were found to be true and we opened up our books. If we had self reported and got slammed there would be no incentive for any future teams to self report.

BK sig is straight sex
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Old 07-26-2011, 05:43 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
All-Pro

Quote:

I am happy with the outcome. I think that the NCAA did the right thing here in not imposing further punishment, considering no further claims of violations were found to be true and we opened up our books. If we had self reported and got slammed there would be no incentive for any future teams to self report.
Clarification: The NCAA said there were no further infractions. They issue the punishment in August (I think the 12th). There may be further punishment, but likely not egregiously worse than what has already occurred.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:48 PM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
Clarification: The NCAA said there were no further infractions. They issue the punishment in August (I think the 12th). There may be further punishment, but likely not egregiously worse than what has already occurred.
I'm assuming that we lose a few scholarships here, just because the NCAA will have to have the last word.

BK sig is straight sex
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Old 07-26-2011, 06:03 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

its funny to think that these two teams are the only few to get caught.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:39 PM    (permalink
mellojello
Veteran

mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
please elaborate
I'd rather not since it doesn't change anything, but since you asked Yay...

“USC didn’t self-report a thing, it was all uncovered by external investigaion” – 100% False

“USC got Lack of Institutional Control because the entire athletic department was corrupt.” - Ummm, I didn’t read that in the NCAA report, nothing in the report even suggested any sort of culture of corruption. Instead, one of the main premises of the NCAA report was that SC, with great power, had a “greater responsibility” than they demonstrated. This theme was repeated over and over in the report and effectively, this was the standard set in the report.

“As far as one player... the NCAA imposed sanctions against USC because of violations involving MULTIPLE players in MULTIPLE sports.” - The basketball violation was self-reported. If you want to include a female swimmer using the telephone to call her parents in Europe, then yes, it was multiple sports/violations. This was also self-reported, fyi.

“The NCAA was able to demonstrate that the AD knew about the issues at USC and did nothing to stop them and they let the environment that spawned them exist.” – Completely false. I didn’t read this in the NCAA report either, but please cite where you are getting this from. What did Mike Garrett or the president know about and not stop?

“That's why Pete Carroll took off in the middle of the night.” Wtf??? USC was under investigation for FOUR years and Pete Carroll was there the entire time!
“There were systemic problems that the AD did nothing to rectify and even worse off, tried to bury evidence of.” – Please cite where the NCAA accuses USC of burying evidence?

For those who have read the NCAA report, the only direct evidence that links the USC coaches/administration to the Bush scandal is a two minute cell phone bill by one of Bush’s supposed wannabe agents and the running back coach, Todd McNair. That is not overwhelming evidence in my mind.

Anyone who has ever spoken to a NCAA football player knows that at any given time, athletes are in violation of some rule. If a football players sells their textbooks at the end of the year, that's a violation, but everyone does it. Thinking that SC is the evil empire and your school has a halo over its head is just ignorant.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:42 PM    (permalink
mellojello
Veteran

Quote:
its funny to think that these two teams are the only few to get caught.
I've wondered, why now?