Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > St. Louis Rams Team Forum

St. Louis Rams Team Forum Discuss the Rams

Old 07-20-2011, 02:04 PM    (permalink
ramsfan2005813
Rookie

ramsfan2005813 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

If the team is going to sign a mid-level back I would much rather see the team sign Joseph Addai than Sproles or Cadillac. He's a good pass protector, decent hands, and a more diverse runner than either player. He has injury concerns, but certainly not as much as a 30 speed back or one with multiple knee injuries. That being said, I would still rather to the money go towards addressing the DT and OLB positions, running backs are becoming a dime a dozen position in the 3rd/4th round, no reason to spend money on a back that is likely going to deteriorate two years into the deal.
ramsfan2005813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:00 PM    (permalink
tfry
Rookie

tfry hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGSeiler View Post
Bradshaw is intriguing, but at 25 years old coming off of a season where he carried the ball 270+ times, do you think he'll want to come to a team to be a back-up/situational guy? I'm not so sure.
Good point, but there isn't a large market for running backs out there and Bradshaw will never be a "Carry the Load" type of back IMO. He and Jackson could each help prolong their careers a year or two by splitting carries. A 60/40 split with Jackson and Bradshaw would not be a bad thing.

As it stands, if Jackson goes down (Which is highly likely) we are in a lot of trouble in the backfield.
tfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:20 PM    (permalink
freebirdsrams02
Veteran

freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Any thoughts on players the Rams might let go to get rid of when training camp finally starts.

Sig made by Falcon from E Oakland

"Spread'em and Shread'em"
freebirdsrams02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:03 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfry View Post
Good point, but there isn't a large market for running backs out there and Bradshaw will never be a "Carry the Load" type of back IMO. He and Jackson could each help prolong their careers a year or two by splitting carries. A 60/40 split with Jackson and Bradshaw would not be a bad thing.

As it stands, if Jackson goes down (Which is highly likely) we are in a lot of trouble in the backfield.
Bradshaw may not be a "carry the load" back, but at 25 years old and coming off of a 276-carry season, I don't see him signing with a team to be second fiddle to someone else. Worst case scenario for him (IMO) is he returns to the Giants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdsrams02 View Post
Any thoughts on players the Rams might let go to get rid of when training camp finally starts.
Well, I believe the roster will be expanded for training camp, but will be trimmed as we get closer to the regular season. I imagine quite a number of guys are going to be in thick competitions for roster spots, all over the place. For as much progress as the Rams made in 2010, there are still plenty of areas where they could upgrade, specifically in terms of depth.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:07 AM    (permalink
ramsfan2005813
Rookie

Here's a list of reported Rams UDFA signings so far for anyone that hasn't seen it. There's also been reports of Derrick Locke having agreed to a deal with the Rams but its also been reported that he had a deal with the Vikings earlier, so it might just be wishful thinking that circulated the report.

James Dockery (CB, Oregon State)
Taylor Potts (QB, Texas Tech)
Arthur Thomas (DT, Arkansas-Pine Bluff)
Dionte Dinkins (CB, Fort Valley State)
Bryant Browning (OG, Ohio State)

No one really big on this list...mostly guys that were expected to undrafted for the most part. Potts is intriguing as a developmental QB under McDaniels but that's it really...wasn't overly impressed with his college career. He had good numbers but it was Texas Tech (though his numbers didn't falter much with Tommy Tuberville coming in).
Old 07-26-2011, 04:02 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Word on the Twitter is that the Rams may give Carolina LB Thomas Davis a call if he's released, due to his familiarity with the Rams' defensive system.

They've also talked with Saints LB Scott Shanle and may set up a visit with him.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:22 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Rams have reached an agreement with former Eagles safety Quintin Mikell.

http://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter/s...80814529073152
Old 07-26-2011, 05:39 PM    (permalink
Beano
Rookie

Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So happy with that move, one of the more underrated players in the NFL and fills a massive need.

Great start to FA period imo.
Beano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:25 AM    (permalink
tfry
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beano View Post
So happy with that move, one of the more underrated players in the NFL and fills a massive need.

Great start to FA period imo.
I agree. However with the amount of money we threw at him I'd say he wasn't underrated by any means!

Where do we go next? I'd like to see us address the outside 'backer positions.

Barry Cofield signed with Washington so he's out as a DT upgrade option.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:28 PM    (permalink
Beano
Rookie

Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nice little article on Mikell and the Rams.

Quote:
Where do we go next? I'd like to see us address the outside 'backer positions.
I wouldn't mind us doing that, I've seen Scott Shanle mentioned, and if that's the standard we're looking at, then I'd rather we not bother and just give Vobora an extended run in the side. :)
Old 07-27-2011, 02:00 PM    (permalink
ArkyRamsFan
Veteran

ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beano View Post
Nice little article on Mikell and the Rams.

I wouldn't mind us doing that, I've seen Scott Shanle mentioned, and if that's the standard we're looking at, then I'd rather we not bother and just give Vobora an extended run in the side. :)
Agree. I'm looking at us getting the 'Skins' Rocky McIntosh for OLB. While I would really like to make a play for Carolina's James Anderson somehow methinks he is gonna be too expensive....
ArkyRamsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:14 PM    (permalink
tfry
Rookie

Just read on Rotoworld.com that the Rams are showing serious interest in Stewart Bradley. Injuries aside, that would be a terrific signing for us. Bradley would be an instant upgrade and really give us two superb linebackers.

Other linebackers the Rams have been linked to: Shanle, Zac Diles, and Ben Leber.

I also read that the Rams have enter the Sidney Rice discussion. Not sure if this is true or if it's just Rice's agent drumming up a market, but he would be a huge impact for us out wide.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:21 PM    (permalink
Beano
Rookie

I don't consider Shanle or Diles upgrades in anyway at all, Leber is slightly better. Not sure I'd be over the moon with any of them, Bradley offers some upside I guess, but I'm not that big a fan of his.

The Rice rumour is certainly picking up, wouldn't mind it to happen at all.

Also seen talk that we're interested in Brandon Mebane, would definitely take him in a heart beat, would improve our front 4 even more.

Last edited by Beano : 07-27-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:49 PM    (permalink
ramsfan2005813
Rookie

Bradley of three years ago would be a great sign but after that injury he did not look right out on the field last year when healthy for the most part, when he looked completely lost in coverage in the few games I saw. I don't know about his viability as an outside linebacker.

Mebane would be a very nice sign. I would have no problem offering a deal in the ballpark of Barry Cofield's (6yr/36mil i believe) if we still have the money. Not only would it drastically upgrade the Rams 3-tech talentwise over guys like Gibson and Cudjo, but it almost completely trashes the Seahawks d-line.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:21 PM    (permalink
ArkyRamsFan
Veteran

ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsfan2005813 View Post
Bradley of three years ago would be a great sign but after that injury he did not look right out on the field last year when healthy for the most part, when he looked completely lost in coverage in the few games I saw. I don't know about his viability as an outside linebacker.

Mebane would be a very nice sign. I would have no problem offering a deal in the ballpark of Barry Cofield's (6yr/36mil i believe) if we still have the money. Not only would it drastically upgrade the Rams 3-tech talentwise over guys like Gibson and Cudjo, but it almost completely trashes the Seahawks d-line.
Agree and agree. Besides isn't Bradley more of an inside type? We've already got JL and we need a legit, athletic LB to play either the Will or Sam spot.

Really wishin' that we would have selected Steven Paea instead of Kendricks in round 2 last April. You can see how tough it is to sign high quality D tackles when teams are all wanting them and bid the price up and up.

Also, really hoping the Rams look to sign a guard like Davin Joseph or Harvey Dahl so we don't have to suffer watching Adam Goldman try to run block this next year.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:40 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

It would seem to me Diles or Leber would be upgrades over whatever the Rams currently have at WLB (Chamberlain?). Shanle, I'm not crazy about but he'd be solid enough. If Bradley can stay healthy, he'd be a great addition at SLB. But the health does worry me a bit.

The Rams were apparently lukewarm on Cofield, but are interested in Mebane. Hopefully they can make that happen. Would have been nice to get Sidney Rice; him going to a division rival is a double whammy, but the Seahawks' QB situation doesn't scare me at all.

Still waiting to hear any real news on the RB front...
Old 07-28-2011, 06:45 AM    (permalink
Beano
Rookie

Quote:
Would have been nice to get Sidney Rice; him going to a division rival is a double whammy, but the Seahawks' QB situation doesn't scare me at all.
Agreed, although if their rookies pan out, whomever it is throwing the ball could have an awful long time to do so. They seem intent on building a very decent O line.

Snelling and Harrison are apparently the RB's we're being linked to, would probably take Snelling as first choice from them. Still want us to make a serious play for Mebane though, seen some talk that it's between Seattle and Denver now. Also seen us mentioned with Malcom Floyd, I'm not that bothered if we do chase a "deep threat", but contract depending, I would be OK with it.

Surely we're going to get one former Giant? I know Spags worked with Mikell in Philly but it's become a bit of a tradition to raid their freebies.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:56 AM    (permalink
tfry
Rookie

I read this morning that STL is the favorites to land Darren Sproles.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:44 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I read this morning that STL is the favorites to land Darren Sproles.
To clarify, I believe that was based on a tweet from South Florida Sentinel writer Omar Kelly...

http://twitter.com/#!/OmarKelly/stat...27398509621249
Old 07-28-2011, 01:58 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

How quickly things change; the Rams are apparently no longer in the running for Sproles, according to the San Diego Union Tribune...

Quote:
New Orleans, Philadelphia and, yes, Chargers in running for Sproles. I'm told that's the final 3. Decision soon.
https://twitter.com/#!/sdutChargers/...48006098628609
Old 07-29-2011, 12:29 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Rams appear to be heavily in the mix for former Falcons OG Harvey Dahl, who would be a big improvement at right guard.

Sources
http://twitter.com/#!/jthom1/statuses/96990656744005632

https://twitter.com/#!/AJCFalcons/st...64616265019392
Old 07-29-2011, 12:50 PM    (permalink
ArkyRamsFan
Veteran

Quote:
Rams appear to be heavily in the mix for former Falcons OG Harvey Dahl, who would be a big improvement at right guard.

Sources
http://twitter.com/#!/jthom1/statuses/96990656744005632

https://twitter.com/#!/AJCFalcons/st...64616265019392
I would feel a lot better about this FA period if we can make that happen. S. Jax' 3.8 ypc last year should take a major leap upward with a guy like Dahl plowing in front of him.

Also, have heard that the Rams are hot on the trail of Dahl's teammate Jason Snelling. If we get these two our running game has taken a quantum leap forward.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:30 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Dahl signing is official, four-year deal!
Old 07-29-2011, 02:36 PM    (permalink
Beano
Rookie

Love the move, if his friend Mr Snelling comes over as well, I might be way too optimistic about the season. Really has been an excellent FA period so far, fingers crossed we can make another decent splash or two.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:43 PM    (permalink
ramsfan2005813
Rookie

Definitely an upgrade, but a part of me was hoping to get a longer glimpse of what Greco could do as a starter. Still Dahl is one of the better maulers in the league and solidifies the rams offensive line as the most solid left to right, if not the best all-around in the division.

Other news Rams have made an offer to Brandon Mebane.