Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Super Bowl Champion Seattle Seahawks

Super Bowl Champion Seattle Seahawks Discuss the Seahawks

Old 07-25-2011, 03:03 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 2011 Free Agency Signings/Rumors/Discussion Thread

A new, clean thread is needed.

We are $39 million below the new salary cap. So we have money to spend. We WILL be active in free agency.

Our UFAs:
Red indicates not expected back

Milloy, Lawyer S 15
Mare, Olindo P/K 14
Hasselbeck, Matt QB 12 - Likely heading to Tennessee according to multiple sources.
Stokley, Brandon WR 12
Brock, Raheem DE 9
Pitts, Chester OL 9
Babineaux, Jordan S 7
Locklear, Sean OL 7
Terrill, Craig DT 7
Hill, Leroy LB 6
Losman, J.P. QB 6
McCoy, Matt LB 6
Spencer, Chris OL 6
Willis, Ray OL 6

Gordon, Amon DT 5
Jennings, Kelly CB 5
Martin, Ruvell WR 5
Robinson, Michael RB 5
Herring, Will LB 4
Mebane, Brandon DT 4
Richardson, Jay DE 4
Siavii, Junior DT 4

ITEMS/RUMORS:
  • Brandon Mebane - Does he fit our hybrid defense? Is he worth big money? What will 4-3 teams pay for him to play UT? Why did we only tender him at a 3rd-round level (which is void now due to new CBA rules)? He is arguably our best player. I'd like to re-sign him. If we don't, Cullen Jenkins could be a little cheaper and play the same or similar position in whatever our defense evolves into.
  • Cornerback - It is our obvious most glaring need. Jennings could possibly be re-signed but he'd have to move to a nickel role and isn't the type of big, physical CB Pete Carroll covets. Trufant will start but is aging and our depth is questionable. I would guess we'd sign one of the following players: Nnamdi Asomugha (long-shot, but we have the money, the need, and a big-time recruiter), Jonathan Joseph, Antonio Cromartie, Ike Taylor, Carlos Rogers, Richard Marshall.
  • Quarterback - Many insiders are predicting Matt Hasselbeck will start for Tennessee this season. That's fine with me. He was a great Seahawk but it's time to move forward. We're still reportedly in the mix for Kolb (though ARZ remains the heavy favorite) but I don't want to give up a 1st and 3rd (likely compensation). Otherwise, we've been linked to T-Jack and Matt Leinart. If one of those two or Clipboard Jesus starts for us, we may end up with Luck in 2012. Not sure if I'm completely against it.
  • Ray Edwards - It's us, Cleveland, and Philly for his services. We could probably give him the best deal. Interesting. Not sure how I feel about it. If we miss on him, Mathias Kiwanuka may be a fall-back option.
  • Wide Receiver - This is pure speculation but I have a feeling we'll go after a free agent WR. There are just so many on the market not to with all the cap room we have. We aren't in great shape at the position either, unless Golden Tate really does turn into Steve Smith. I have a bad feeling we will overpay for Sidney Rice (injury-prone) or James Jones (way too many drops) and I also wouldn't rule out Pete Carroll making a splash for Moss, TO, or Plaxico. Other possibilities (with no basis - just speculation) include Vincent Jackson, Malcom Floyd, Mike Sims-Walker, Braylon Edwards, and Steve Breaston.
  • Robert Gallery or Logan Mankins - One of these two NEEDS to be starting at LG on opening day. We have been linked to Gallery because of the Tom Cable hiring and we have the money to give Mankins a nice deal. Solidifying the offensive line was a priority during the draft so let's finish the job with a big-time mauler to put next to King Okung.
  • Fullback - We could re-sign Robinson or make a run at Vonta Leach. This is clearly a need that we will address.
Let the discussion begin! Who do you want, what have you heard, etc.

Last edited by gpngc : 07-28-2011 at 11:00 AM.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:51 PM    (permalink
HawkEye30
Rookie

HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Man its been awhile since I've on here, I'll come back with my opinion later.

Props to BoneKrusher for the sig
Hit me up on XBOX Live: totallynotalex
HawkEye30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:57 PM    (permalink
asdf1223
Veteran

asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm actually ok with TJack- Leinart- Charlie trio for QB. Worst case they completely suck and we end up with Luck, Barkley or Landry Jones with a much much more manageable contract. Best case they show some signs of life and we end up something like 6-10 or 7-9 and have to slightly trade up and get one of those guys like Jacksonville did this year. Mebane is apparently in Seattle, so I hope they get a deal done with him.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:43 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf1223 View Post
I'm actually ok with TJack- Leinart- Charlie trio for QB. Worst case they completely suck and we end up with Luck, Barkley or Landry Jones with a much much more manageable contract. Best case they show some signs of life and we end up something like 6-10 or 7-9 and have to slightly trade up and get one of those guys like Jacksonville did this year. Mebane is apparently in Seattle, so I hope they get a deal done with him.
Good stuff.

I, too, am OK with the QB situation. Simply put, we are going to be picking top-5 (franchise QB-range) unless one of our QBs shows a lot. The rest of our roster is just so bad that there's no way we play well for four-quarter stretches unless our QB plays well. If that is the case, that guy may be our future (MIRACLES DO HAPPEN). If not (more likely), we'll be getting a top-5 QB (PERHAPSSSSS LUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK)
Old 07-27-2011, 12:27 AM    (permalink
XxXdragonXxX
Pro Bowler

XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just a recap/update on what we've done in free agency so far.

UDFAs

Brett Osborne (OT, Harvard)
Jeron Johnson (S, Boise State)
Ricardo Lockette (WR, Fort Valley State)
Ricky Thenarse (S, Nebraska)
Ladi Ajiboye (DT, South Carolina)
Michael Morgan (LB, USC)
Doug Baldwin (WR, Stanford)
Pierre Allen (DE, Nebraska)
Jesse Hoffman (S, Eastern Washington)
Josh Portis (QB, Cal PA)
Ryan Travis (TE, West Liberty)
Zach Hurd (OL, UConn)
Zac Lee (QB, Nebraska)
Ron Parker (S, Newberry)
Jarrett Crittenton (DE, Middle Tennessee State)
Deron Minor (LB, McNeese State)
Michael Huey (G, Texas)
Dorson Boyce (FB, Washington)
John Gold (P, Texas)
Wes Byrum (K, Auburn)

Veteran FA's (verbal agreements)

QB- Tarvaris Jackson
WR- Sydney Rice
OG- Robert Gallery
DT- Alan Branch

GONE

QB- Matt Hasselbeck
LB- Will Herring
K- Olindo Mare
OB- Stacy Andrews
WR- Brandon Stokely

Last edited by XxXdragonXxX : 07-29-2011 at 12:04 AM.
XxXdragonXxX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:19 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How do you guys feel about the Sidney Rice contract/signing? He was clearly one of the best free agent receivers out there, but I wonder if the 'Hawks are going to get their money's worth with Tarvaris throwing him the ball.

I like the Gallery signing for you guys, though.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:20 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGSeiler View Post
How do you guys feel about the Sidney Rice contract/signing? He was clearly one of the best free agent receivers out there, but I wonder if the 'Hawks are going to get their money's worth with Tarvaris throwing him the ball.

I like the Gallery signing for you guys, though.
In what scenario will T-Jack be throwing him the ball beyond this season?

If he's bad, we'll have a top pick and draft a QB.

If he's good, your point is moot.

Every team has to reach the floor. I prefer to reach it with good players - which is what we've done with Gallery and Rice.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:53 AM    (permalink
vikes_28
Resident Ginger
All-Pro

vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Have fun with Rice, he will get injured in the preseason.

/trolling...umadbro?

sig by fenikz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
You are just a terrible person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I have an iPhone.
vikes_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:59 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikes_28 View Post
Have fun with Rice, he will get injured in the preseason.

/trolling...umadbro?
All in fun.

Immensely talented. I never predict injuries so I'm optimistic. LUCK to RICE with a sick offensive line? WOOT WOOT!
Old 07-28-2011, 11:41 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
If he's bad, we'll have a top pick and draft a QB.
Maybe, maybe not. Being bad and having a top pick doesn't guarantee you draft a QB; just ask Buffalo.

Besides, with Pete Carroll preferring to bring in Charlie Whitehurst last year and Tarvaris Jackson this year, I'm starting to wonder if he actually wants a good QB. ;)
Old 07-28-2011, 11:47 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Maybe, maybe not. Being bad and having a top pick doesn't guarantee you draft a QB; just ask Buffalo.

Besides, since becoming the head coach, Pete Carroll has chosen to go with Charlie Whitehurst and Tarvaris Jackson. Meaning I've yet to see any evidence he actually wants a good QB. ;)
It's not maybe - it's at least probably. Especially considering Luck and Barkley will likely be available and there are literally only FOUR teams in the entire NFL who might be in the market for a young QB next draft:

BUF, MIA, OAK, SEA

And Buffalo absolutely had opportunities to take a QB - they didn't in part because these last two classes had some pretty flawed QBs (could have had Clausen, didn't - smart move), and they had a little something in Fitzpatrick... in other words - the BUF situation was an aberration. I'm confident the Seahawks will go after a potential franchise QB if Whitehurst and T-Jack don't show anything (which is what EVERYONE is predicting obviously).
Old 07-28-2011, 12:01 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
It's not maybe - it's at least probably. Especially considering Luck and Barkley will likely be available and there are literally only FOUR teams in the entire NFL who might be in the market for a young QB next draft:

BUF, MIA, OAK, SEA

And Buffalo absolutely had opportunities to take a QB - they didn't in part because these last two classes had some pretty flawed QBs (could have had Clausen, didn't - smart move), and they had a little something in Fitzpatrick... in other words - the BUF situation was an aberration. I'm confident the Seahawks will go after a potential franchise QB if Whitehurst and T-Jack don't show anything (which is what EVERYONE is predicting obviously).
Kidding aside, I don't disagree that the Seahawks would be looking for a franchise QB if they had a high pick in 2012. I just think you're ignoring the number of possibilities that may prevent them from getting one.

Take, for instance, listing only three other teams who might be in the market for young QBs next year aside from Seattle. I could probably think of at least half a dozen others that could be interested depending on how their season played out and if they had a high pick.

For instance, there probably weren't many people predicting at this time last year that the Panthers would be in the market for a young QB after having just drafted Jimmy Clausen. You just never know.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:13 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Kidding aside, I don't disagree that the Seahawks would be looking for a franchise QB if they had a high pick in 2012. I just think you're ignoring the number of possibilities that may prevent them from getting one.

Take, for instance, listing only three other teams who might be in the market for young QBs next year aside from Seattle. I could probably think of at least half a dozen others that could be interested depending on how their season played out and if they had a high pick.

For instance, there probably weren't many people predicting at this time last year that the Panthers would be in the market for a young QB after having just drafted Jimmy Clausen. You just never know.
Of course I'm ignoring it because it's just as unlikely as T-Jack or CJ actually proving to be a franchise QB. I cannot envision a scenario in which this franchise, led by PC, who is used to always getting his guy, especially at QB, moves on to a 2nd-year in a row without getting their guy. Anything is possible, of course. You have Bradford. **** you.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:51 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Of course I'm ignoring it because it's just as unlikely as T-Jack or CJ actually proving to be a franchise QB. I cannot envision a scenario in which this franchise, led by PC, who is used to always getting his guy, especially at QB, moves on to a 2nd-year in a row without getting their guy. Anything is possible, of course. You have Bradford. **** you.
Heh, well that's understandable.

Sounds like it's between the Seahawks and the Broncos for the services of Brandon Mebane. I was hoping to see the Rams step up on that front, but it doesn't sound like they'll pony up.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:06 AM    (permalink
XxXdragonXxX
Pro Bowler

XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Seahawks sign DT Alan Branch from the Cardinals.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:10 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

And Junior Siavii.

We were linked to Nick Barnett for a second, which makes you scratch your head if we're really heading to a legit base 3-4...
Old 07-29-2011, 03:50 PM    (permalink
asdf1223
Veteran

asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Getting closer to Mebane apparently. And we just re-signed Leroy Hill. Dude just wont go away. I love the guy but I wish he would go somewhere else and start.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:37 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Seattle/Mebane deal is done, congrats...

$^#&#^!!
Old 07-29-2011, 06:01 PM    (permalink
asdf1223
Veteran

I seriously thought it wouldnt get done. This regime has shown utter disdain for the Ruskell era players but atleast knew that they had to keep the best one. There's a chance that Cole will start on the PUP list. Since we have 0 1-tech's on the roster, hopefully Mebane goes there.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:49 PM    (permalink
XxXdragonXxX
Pro Bowler

Quote:
And Junior Siavii.

We were linked to Nick Barnett for a second, which makes you scratch your head if we're really heading to a legit base 3-4...

Branch is going to play 3-tech with Mebane moving back to the nose. Mebane's natural position is NT, he's been played out of position ever since Bernard left.

I think we were looking to sign Barnett to play him at MLB in the 4-3. He was an All-Pro as a 4-3 MLB but dropped off when the Packers went to the 3-4. There was rumor that we offered Tatupu to the Bengals for Palmer. Now we're asking him to restructure his contract. Possible that we were going after Barnett to replace Tatupu if we traded him, which would explain why the trade rumors and the links to Barnett both died at the same time.

I don't see a move to the 3-4 happening. We're just trying to get bigger, faster, and stronger everywhere. And our hybrid system requires some 3-4 type players.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:06 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just got back from two months working in the Alaskan bush, so I have a lot of new information to process. :D It's fun. I was aware of the 'Hawks activity in free agency through the occasional newspaper, and I was pretty pleased with what they did. I've been a fan of Sidney Rice since he was a prospect, like Robert Gallery a lot at LG, and think Alan Branch is a decent player who will play a lot, even though he may not be an impact player. I also think Tarvaris Jackson is better than people think. I'm excited to watch the game tonight where the starters ought to play most of the first half. We've got some huge receivers. I like the Zach Miller signing more and more, too. At first I was a little skeptical, thinking about how much we must've paid for him when we already have John Carlson, but Carlson hasn't really broken out the way Miller has the last couple years. Nothing wrong with having two really good tight ends, though. If we start two tight end sets, Sidney Rice will be the shortest receiver on the field at 6'4". That's pretty dope. Makes it easier to use Golden Tate, too. And I hope to see a few balls go Kris Durham's direction tonight, too. Also a bit interested to see if Vai Taua gets carries tonight. He was a prospect I paid some attention to this year. I looked him up after randomly switching on the Nev-Cal game (if I remember correctly) last fall and saw a big tailback hit the hole with remarkable suddenness and then pull away through the secondary for a long touchdown. Cal's gotta have some speed back there, so I was a little intrigued. Anywho. That's my back-to-NFLDC ramble. Excited about the season starting. Go Seahawks.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote