Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 03-31-2007, 08:29 AM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, but Donovan is losing everyone on his team and really could be a recruiting genius in Kentucky.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 08:56 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond93 View Post
Yeah, but Donovan is losing everyone on his team and really could be a recruiting genius in Kentucky.
Florida did get a 6'6" shooter and Hodge and Richard and Green could all be back so that could be 4 out of 5 starters

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 11:45 AM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Calathes said he would follow Billy D, to be honest if that was the case and Donovan could get Patrick Patterson UK will already be way better off next year than Florida is and we're obviously better off long term.

Gillespie AND Calipari do have extensions on the table and ready to be signed, however they have not done so yet... I suppose they're waiting to see what Donovan does.

Chris Richard is a SR so he's gone, Green is iffy. So best case scenario they have Green/Hodge and a bunch of new guys.

If Donovan has any consideration for the job he MUST take it now. We've had 5 coaches in the last 70 years...

I sure hope he comes, Lexington will be insane if/when he does. I just feel bad for him the way he's dodging the question in interviews... He keeps stumbling over his words.
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 12:15 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
Calathes said he would follow Billy D, to be honest if that was the case and Donovan could get Patrick Patterson UK will already be way better off next year than Florida is and we're obviously better off long term.

Gillespie AND Calipari do have extensions on the table and ready to be signed, however they have not done so yet... I suppose they're waiting to see what Donovan does.

Chris Richard is a SR so he's gone, Green is iffy. So best case scenario they have Green/Hodge and a bunch of new guys.

If Donovan has any consideration for the job he MUST take it now. We've had 5 coaches in the last 70 years...

I sure hope he comes, Lexington will be insane if/when he does. I just feel bad for him the way he's dodging the question in interviews... He keeps stumbling over his words.
Who might be the replacement at Florida?????? I think Greg Marshall can be a major program coach.

Old 03-31-2007, 12:32 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought it was in his contract that the one school he couldn't leave Florida for is Kentucky.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:53 PM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
I thought it was in his contract that the one school he couldn't leave Florida for is Kentucky.
A coach can resign and go to a different school, they can't stop him from doing that!

The Cadillac Three - Tennessee Mojo
http://youtu.be/N41DdVedXCo
HawkeyeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 12:55 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFan View Post
A coach can resign and go to a different school, they can't stop him from doing that!
I thought that was a bit odd as well!

Old 03-31-2007, 01:49 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
One of the idiots on ESPN said that but it isn't true. You can view coaches contracts at USA Today's sight and there is no mention of the name Kentucky in his contract.

If he does leave... Two names seem the most likely.

Anthony Grant of VCU - Was an assistant under Billy D until last year when he left for VCU and was successful.

John Pelphry of South Alabama - Former UK assistant who was under Billy D as well. I doubt they go this route because to be honest it would just be another time where they let a coach go through the growing pains there only to have him taken away by UK whenever Donovan left.
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 02:15 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
One of the idiots on ESPN said that but it isn't true. You can view coaches contracts at USA Today's sight and there is no mention of the name Kentucky in his contract.

If he does leave... Two names seem the most likely.

Anthony Grant of VCU - Was an assistant under Billy D until last year when he left for VCU and was successful.

John Pelphry of South Alabama - Former UK assistant who was under Billy D as well. I doubt they go this route because to be honest it would just be another time where they let a coach go through the growing pains there only to have him taken away by UK whenever Donovan left.
Grant would be a fairly decent choice and for those players that remain some will be familiar with him.

Old 03-31-2007, 02:56 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Donovan left, my guess is that Grant would get the nod.

Btw, not sure if you responded in the other thread Palmer, but I'm fairly certain that I've read comments by Calathes before about how, while he loves Billy D, he wants to be a Gator first and foremost, or something like that. Furthermore, I'd assume Calathes and Parsons are fairly good friends, and Parsons seems certain to stay at Florida. Also, while I'm not well-versed on it, wouldn't Calathes need to get Florida to let him out of his scholarship since he signed his LOI? Granted, most schools end up allowing it, but it would be an issue. I'm not sure Calathes goes anywhere, but eh, we'll see.

I can't wait for this whole Donovan thing to be over, and for Kentucky to get a coach, whoever it is. Eh, just getting tired of it. Was interesting for a couple of days.

There's rumors that Patterson is favoring Duke and Florida, but if Donovan leaves, that would change the dynamics. That said, I've read rumors where, if Donovan leaves, he'd likely committ to Duke. All rumors, though.

As for Florida next year, if Donovan stayed, he'd still have a solid club (because if Donovan left, there's a chance some kids may ask out, so it's hard to judge at this time).

I'm assuming Brewer, Noah, and Horford leave. I think Noah and Horford are locks to leave, and Brewer would probably head out. That said, I don't think they are in as bad shape as some make it out to be. Donovan has really stacked the cupboards there with guys, and he's got a strong recruiting class coming in by all accounts. It'd definitely be a rebuilding year, but by 2009, they could be back in contention, depending on how things go. Marresse Speights probably would've gotten a ton more time in another program. Walter Hodge and Green may start in the backcourt. Parsons could very well get a starting job. Guys like Dan Werner and Jon Mitchell might've gotten more PT at another institution. There's also Allen and Tyus coming in as a part of the recruiting class. If Donovan stays, the betting money is probably on them landing Patrick Patterson. A lineup of, say, Green/Hodge/Parsons/Patterson/Speights, with Calathes/Allen/Werner/Mitchell/Tyus would be a very young group, but potentially, a very solid group that gets better as the year goes along.

As for tonight's games, I picked Georgetown over Florida to start, and I'll stick with those two clubs advancing to the title game. I think Georgetown will be able to slow down Ohio State at some point. Xavier had Ohio State dead to rights, and Georgetown has better size and solid enough guard play. I think it'll be a close battle, but I like Georgetown to win. Now, the x-factor is if the big men get in foul trouble, which would shift the dynamics. I actually think that Georgetown is better equipped to handle the loss of Hibbert in this game than Ohio State is with the loss of Oden, but either way, it'd hurt both sides.

I think Florida and UCLA will be a dogfight, and with Shipp this year, they'll be able to attack and hurt them. That said, at the end of the day, Florida plays solid enough D and is a better offensive club, and I think the squeak out a close one.

But I've had a horrid tourny, so watch this go upside down.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 04:01 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ohio St. doesn't rely on Oden as much as is perceived. He averages approz 25 minutes a game. Nevermind the fact he didn't play in some games earlier in the season. I think OSU minus ODEN would still have been a top 10 team this year, comapred to G-Town minus Hibbert would have had alot more trouble in the big east. But against each other I'd take Cook.Lewis.MCjr.Bulter.Hunter.Harris.Lighty.
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 04:03 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Go Georgetown and Florida!!!!!! :)

Old 03-31-2007, 04:04 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maybe I should've reworded. I think OSU without Oden is in bigger trouble against Georgetown with Hibbert than Georgetown without Hibbert is against OSU with Oden. But that's me.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:05 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonsterwu View Post
Maybe I should've reworded. I think OSU without Oden is in bigger trouble against Georgetown with Hibbert than Georgetown without Hibbert is against OSU with Oden. But that's me.
You're right!

Old 03-31-2007, 04:17 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think OSU would still be a very good team without Oden or with him. Sometimes if not 60% of the time, they play better without him because the other players step up their play and realize they cannot go on a drought or what not without him in the game.

But that is me over analyzing tOSU without Oden. It's odd, a switch goes off and they start draining threes, playing tighter D etc.
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 04:19 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonsterwu View Post
But if you replace Hibbert with Green in that sentence, I'd say that it's a lie. Without Oden, Ohio State really has no one that can do anything defensively inside the paint besides a couple pesky Guards ala 'Nova, but not much. Georgetown without Hibbert still has a lot of post players or guys that can rebound. But without Green, they lose their best offensive and defensive player, and their #1-3 in just about every other category. So as far as importance to their team goes, I'd say it'd be Green, Oden, Conley, Hibbert, and then Lewis.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:31 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

I don't disagree. Green is the most important player in the game. I'm just commenting on the big men matchup.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:52 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here's my predictions:

OSU vs Georgetown: G'Town has the advantage in the frontcourt with Green and Hibbert. But OSU has the advantage in the backcourt with Conley, Butler, Lewis, and Cook.

Bench edge probably goes to OSU as well. I think OSU's lack of discipline on defense will have some trouble with GT's Princeton Offense. I think they overplay a lot and get beat back door all day long. But with OSU's offensive firepower from deep, that'll keep them in the game.

OSU needs to get out and run, run, run , run and score as many points as possible. Yea I know that's what UNC tried to do but keep in mind they went ice cold down the stretch and in OT, and they had GT down by double digits pretty much the entire game.

If it's a halfcourt game, I think GT wins this thing by double digits. If they get out and run I think OSU wins by a slight margin.

I have GT in this game because I love Green and Hibbert and I think their offense eats up OSU on defense. Georgetown wins 78-70.

Florida vs UCLA: Great matchup here and a repeat of the National Championship from last season. Both teams have gotten better IMO.

UCLA needs to keep this a half court game if they have a shot to win. Yes I know that they can run, but UF will murderize them if they try and get out against the Gators.

UF has the better talent on paper and I just think that their frontline is too much for UCLA. They don't have the guard play of the Bruins but I have a hard time believing UCLA can hang with Noah and Horford.

I think the X-Factor in this game is Lee Humphrey. If he can hit shots and extend UCLA's defense, then it could be a long day. I do like how the Bruins play defense though. They're tough off screens, they play great man D, they force a bunch of turnovers, and they're phsyical, which IMO could cause some problems for Florida.

I've got Florida winning this one 71-65.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 05:13 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Another thing, the flopping needs to stop. I'm sick and tired of that crap. Stand up, be a man, and play some strong defense. I say they start T'ing up these guys for flopping because it's a ***** way to play.

Quote:
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:13 PM    (permalink
JeffSamardzijaIRISH
Pro Bowler

JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Greg Oden 2 fouls in 3 minutes! Georgetown has the advantage now.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:14 PM    (permalink
BuckNaked
All-NFLDC

BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

lets go GTown!
BuckNaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 05:15 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSamardzijaIRISH View Post
Greg Oden 2 fouls in 3 minutes! Georgetown has the advantage now.
That second one was garbage. I say whoever plays Hibbert should flop when he posts up.

Quote:
Old 03-31-2007, 05:16 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetness34 View Post
That second one was garbage. I say whoever plays Hibbert should flop when he posts up.
That was a true charge!!!!! No way around it; Oden can't just run right through there

Old 03-31-2007, 05:17 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
That was a true charge!!!!! No way around it; Oden can't just run right through there
Bullcrap that's a true charge. Green flopped on him. Give me a break dude.

Quote:
Old 03-31-2007, 05:18 PM    (permalink
JeffSamardzijaIRISH
Pro Bowler

JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetness34 View Post
Not really, Oden initiated the contact, leaned into the guy, it had to be called.