Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum Discuss the Bucs

Old 08-06-2011, 10:29 PM    (permalink
V.I.P
Pro Bowler

V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Mason Foster Starting MLB

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/footb...cle1184726.ece

Morris said that Tyrone McKenzie would get the first start/crack at the MLB position, but i guess there's a change of plans. Foster is listed as the starter on the first depth chart (available Monday). I like Foster, but i think if he isn't ready we shouldn't just throw him in there. I would feel alot more comfortable if we had OTAs, minicamps, etc. According to Morris the starters will play a quarter, and a half the first two pre-season games. So let's just see... Thoughts?

"Mase Man" - YAYareaRB

Mike Will & V-Jax
V.I.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:07 AM    (permalink
bullg8rdaddy
NFLDC ROY 2010
Veteran

bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
But when the Bucs' list of starters is released Monday, a few names could be etched in stone.
/shrugs

10char

"I don't do Pro Days, we send our scouts to those. I would rather spend my time watching film. The eye in the sky never lies. Functional Strength and athletic ability are the first things we look for in a college prospect." - Mark Dominik, Buccaneers GM
bullg8rdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:14 AM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yesssaaa my brotha mase!!

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:19 AM    (permalink
bullg8rdaddy
NFLDC ROY 2010
Veteran

bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They changed the title of the article to this now:

Prediction: Tampa Bay Buccaneers will start rookie Mason Foster at middle linebacker

"I don't do Pro Days, we send our scouts to those. I would rather spend my time watching film. The eye in the sky never lies. Functional Strength and athletic ability are the first things we look for in a college prospect." - Mark Dominik, Buccaneers GM
Old 08-07-2011, 08:59 AM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If McKenzie is good enough to be the MLB, move Foster to WLB. There was a reason Dominik drafted this guy. He's very versaitile and said he can play all 3 LB positions and most productive at WLB.

Foster's scouting report came about that his weakness was in pass coverage, however he's been solid in that department this TC.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:19 AM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan12 View Post
If McKenzie is good enough to be the MLB, move Foster to WLB. There was a reason Dominik drafted this guy. He's very versaitile and said he can play all 3 LB positions and most productive at WLB.

Foster's scouting report came about that his weakness was in pass coverage, however he's been solid in that department this TC.
versatile doesn't even begin to describe this guy. he quarterbacked, i repeat, quarterbacked us to a section championship in high school.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:28 PM    (permalink
V.I.P
Pro Bowler

V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullg8rdaddy View Post
They changed the title of the article to this now:

Prediction: Tampa Bay Buccaneers will start rookie Mason Foster at middle linebacker
Ain't that a female dog.

Also like the Reggie Smith avi ahaha

Mike Will & V-Jax
Old 08-07-2011, 12:33 PM    (permalink
bullg8rdaddy
NFLDC ROY 2010
Veteran

For the record, I'm all about Mase as our starting Mike. Get him in there and let him take his lumps so that he can get better sooner rather than later.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:19 PM    (permalink
V.I.P
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullg8rdaddy View Post
For the record, I'm all about Mase as our starting Mike. Get him in there and let him take his lumps so that he can get better sooner rather than later.
Found this in another article on the same site..

Quote:
Foster continues to take overwhelming majority of the first-team snaps at middle linebacker. It’s pretty clear where things are going at that position. The first depth chart is released Monday, and it’s been strongly suggested to us around One Buc Place that Foster will be listed as the starter.
There has been a few MLB r4cently to start right away and produce recently, Jon Beason, Patrick Willis, Johnathon Vilma, and DaMeco Ryans, but they all were were first round picks. I know Foster's draft position has nothing to do with how he performs, so let's just wait and see.

On second thought, i think throwing him in early is a good idea. Since our defense is young (rookies, 2nd year, 3rd year players). They'll all just go through growing pains together.

Mike Will & V-Jax

Last edited by V.I.P : 08-07-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:27 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-I-P View Post

There has been a few MLB r4cently to start right away and produce recently, Jon Beason, Patrick Willis, Johnathon Vilma, and DaMeco Ryans, but they all were were first round picks. I know Foster's draft position has nothing to do with how he performs, so let's just wait and see.

On second thought, i think throwing him in early is a good idea. Since our defense is young (rookies, 2nd year, 3rd year players). They'll all just go through growing pains together.
More than a few....LB is one of the easiest positions to start at right out of college. It's more about reading, reacting and instincts than understanding the complexities of the game. The playbook isn't too difficult and it's not a difficult position technically. If you've got the mentality, physical ability and instincts, you can play.

The only issue is him being the "QB of the defense". He can be the MLB but I don't think he can be the guy who audibles and gets us in and out of different looks. That will take time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
versatile doesn't even begin to describe this guy. he quarterbacked, i repeat, quarterbacked us to a section championship in high school.
Thanks for the info. Is there anything else you can share about him? I know Raheem said he's a very intense, serious guy like you want in a LB.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:54 PM    (permalink
bullg8rdaddy
NFLDC ROY 2010
Veteran

Quote:

DeMeco was a 2nd rounder (33rd overall), but I get what you are saying.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:38 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

All I'm going to say is Black is entrenched at SLB.

The next 2 best LBs SHOULD play. If both McKenzie and Foster are flat out the next two backers, take the better at MLB and the other at WLB. Hayes is too inconsistant and is replacaeble.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:36 AM    (permalink
bullg8rdaddy
NFLDC ROY 2010
Veteran

Also the current F.O. and coaching staff have:
  • re-signed Black and Hayward
  • drafted Watson and Foster
  • signed McKenzie

JMHO, but I think they will be partial to these 5 going forward. Sorry Hayes, but if you don't get better and more consistent, you might be gone like Ruud.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:49 PM    (permalink
V.I.P
Pro Bowler

Random article about rookie MLBs posted today, thought i'd throw it in here...

http://www.joebucsfan.com/?p=52093

Quote:
Much hand-wringing has taken place over the fact Bucs rock star general manager Mark Dominik has deemed a college outside linebacker from the PAC-10 can be a viable starting middle linebacker in the NFL after only being a pro for a handful of days, and the start of the regular season a month away.

This scares the hell out of Joe, but this move could be a pattern.

Many Bucs fans were so angry over Team Glazer, through Dominik, for only throwing cash at a punter, that said fansí dogs were afraid to walk into the same room as their master for fear of getting kicked in the ribs.

These same fans went delirious with rage watching the Eagles sign virtually every warm body (Vince Young?!) available in order to buy a Super Bowl. Why, these same Bucs fans lost their minds so completely, they actually had the nerve to suggest on live radio no less that the Bucs should go after Braylon Edwards if you can imagine such a thing?

But lost in the hysteria over the Eagles throwing money around like Joe after Courtney the Bartender has served him multiple adult beverages was that the Eagles too plan on starting a rookie middle linebacker who hails from the PAC-10 in their march to a purchased Super Bowl.

No less an authority than the Eaglesí own official site, so documents Chris McPherson of PhiladelphiaEagles.com.

Matthews, the younger brother of Packers beastly middle linebacker Clay Matthews, was drafted in the third round just like Bucs projected rookie starting middle linebacker Mason Foster, only Foster was selected ahead of Matthews.

Could this be a growing trend of starting rookie middle linebackers? Itís very curious to Joe that a team that tried to go all Danny Snyder this season has chosen to leave such an important position to a rookie.
Eagles are starting Casey Matthews at MLB, so why not?

Mike Will & V-Jax
Old 08-08-2011, 02:54 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

Like I said, the 3 best LBs will play. McKenzie started off hot and in the lead, but the more time and practice Foster has had, the better he's gotten and some predict that he will open Fridays preseason game as the starter.

Hayes, according to Morris, has had a very good camp, and has showed his work in the offseason is paying off. However, he mentioned that he was inconsistant last year, but believes if and when he puts it all together, he can be a dominate backer.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:51 PM    (permalink
V.I.P
Pro Bowler

First depth chart is finally released, and Foster has the job :)

Mike Will & V-Jax
Old 08-08-2011, 05:13 PM    (permalink
bullg8rdaddy
NFLDC ROY 2010
Veteran

And here we............go. :)

Old 08-08-2011, 06:01 PM    (permalink
Legacy
Veteran

Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A depth chart released before the first preseason game is hardly a concrete determination of who is starting where.

It simply shows that Foster has done enough to warrant being given the opportunity to start in the first preseason game. The position battle is ongoing, guys.

By the way, if you go by the "official" depth chart, Michael Bennett is our starting LE with Bowers as the backup, even though it should probably be the other way around.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:15 PM    (permalink
V.I.P
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
By the way, if you go by the "official" depth chart, Michael Bennett is our starting LE with Bowers as the backup, even though it should probably be the other way around.
Bennett simply got the vet nod. I think Bowers has been out performing him.

Mike Will & V-Jax
Old 08-08-2011, 06:47 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
A depth chart released before the first preseason game is hardly a concrete determination of who is starting where.

It simply shows that Foster has done enough to warrant being given the opportunity to start in the first preseason game. The position battle is ongoing, guys.

Foster has been playing a lot better with the more reps he's been given.

Bowers has been clearly outperforming Bennett, but this is just the vet getting a nod. Bowers may not be the starter or he may be opening day, but the coaching staff is going to be extra careful monitoring his playing/practice time. He was given the day off by coach Morris today, even though he's suffered no swelling or soreness in his knee.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:37 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think it's the worst thing in the world that Bowers is #2. I mean, in a perfect world you'd have three great ends getting 33% of the snaps each.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:24 AM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan12 View Post

The Will in the T-2 MUST be able to defend the pass (that being said, so should the Mike). Derrick Brooks, Cato June, Lance Briggs, Beason were all Wills in the T-2, Urlacher, Vilma (in NY), Quarles, Mike Peterson, and Nickerson were all Mikes... and what do they all have in common? THey excel in coverage. If Foster is doing to struggle in coverage, the only place to put him is off the field in nickel situations and at Sam during other situations.
brasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:24 AM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
I don't think it's the worst thing in the world that Bowers is #2. I mean, in a perfect world you'd have three great ends getting 33% of the snaps each.
You mean 66% of the snaps each, right?
Old 08-09-2011, 07:27 AM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

Quote:

And Urlacher was a guy that was thrown into the Mike position during his rookie year (after practicing at Sam) and he's turned out okay.... especially considering he was more like a safety in college.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:29 AM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
More than a few....LB is one of the easiest positions to start at right out of college. It's more about reading, reacting and instincts than understanding the complexities of the game. The playbook isn't too difficult and it's not a difficult position technically. If you've got the mentality, physical ability and instincts, you can play.

The only issue is him being the "QB of the defense". He can be the MLB but I don't think he can be the guy who audibles and gets us in and out of different looks. That will take time.

Thanks for the info. Is there anything else you can share about him? I know Raheem said he's a very intense, serious guy like you want in a LB.
Two words---helmet headset.

That being said, only one player is allowed on the field with the green dot on their helmets (headset helmets)... and according to witnesses and Morris himself, right now the plan is to play Geno and Quincy in the nickel (4-2-5) alignments... so who'll be wearing the helmet headset this season? Or will we still have it on the Mike even if he's coming off the field in nickel situations (33-50% of the time)?