Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum Discuss the Bucs

Old 08-09-2011, 10:34 AM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
It's pathetic that Mack is behind a late 7th round pick many thought wouldn't even be drafted.
How? Many scouts, especially a credible one in Mike Mayock believed the Bucs got a steal in Anthony Gaitor. When playing better teams, Gaitor showed up and made plays. He was offered to play at Georgia, but didn't.

I see where you're going in that comment, but Gaitor is a good player and after doing research, I expected Mack to be gone after Dominik selected him.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:49 AM    (permalink
bullg8rdaddy
NFLDC ROY 2010
Veteran

bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh. Ok, thanks for clearing that up, brasho.

"I don't do Pro Days, we send our scouts to those. I would rather spend my time watching film. The eye in the sky never lies. Functional Strength and athletic ability are the first things we look for in a college prospect." - Mark Dominik, Buccaneers GM
bullg8rdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:37 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

NOTES:

Raymond Webber, UDFA WR tore all 3 ligaments in his hamstring. He has just been released.

I've been hearing nothing but good reports on his play in practices. Tough break for this kid, who was a sleeper and possibly making this team. Look for Spurlock to make the team now.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:25 PM    (permalink
V.I.P
Pro Bowler

V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan12 View Post
NOTES:

Raymond Webber, UDFA WR tore all 3 ligaments in his hamstring. He has just been released.

I've been hearing nothing but good reports on his play in practices. Tough break for this kid, who was a sleeper and possibly making this team. Look for Spurlock to make the team now.
Thought he was gonna be another gem by Dominik, but tough break. We should of IR'd him?

Mike Will & V-Jax
V.I.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:06 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
How? Many scouts, especially a credible one in Mike Mayock believed the Bucs got a steal in Anthony Gaitor. When playing better teams, Gaitor showed up and made plays. He was offered to play at Georgia, but didn't.

I see where you're going in that comment, but Gaitor is a good player and after doing research, I expected Mack to be gone after Dominik selected him.
It's pathetic because Elbert Mack has been in the NFL for several years and has several starts for us. If a 7th round pick is ahead of you after one week of training camp, something is wrong.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:04 PM    (permalink
V.I.P
Pro Bowler

V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Steve Wyche thinks we can win the division, which is more than any other "expert" has said.

http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/stor...e-playoff-step

Quote:
Observation deck
1. The Bucs are physically bigger -- in a good way. General manager Mark Dominik told me that the team planned to add more size overall -- most notably on the defensive side. Rookie end Da'Quan Bowers, at 280-plus pounds, is a specimen who seriously looks like more of a 3-4 end. Though he's hardly proven to be this type of player, his body type is like that of Arizona's Darnell Dockett. The running backs and receivers also are huge. Dominik told me that they haven't lost any speed or athleticism with the added beef.

2. The team is treating things as if Aqib Talib will be around Despite the stud cornerback facing felony assault charges, Talib is working with the starters and, by all accounts, is having a good camp. Behind the scenes, though, the team is cognizant that NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell could discipline Talib. The specter of Talib, who has been suspended before, being sidelined is a reason why there was so much conjecture for Tampa Bay to get a starting-caliber corner in free agency. Instead, they held firm because management and coaches feel that E.J. Biggers and Myron Lewis are capable. That faith better be on point, with the Saints and Falcons poised to unleash multiple-receiver sets at will.

To note, the Bucs plan to wait until the judicial system runs its course before deciding what action to take with Talib.

3. LeGarrette Blount is still hungry. There was suspicion that Blount, who went undrafted in large part because of maturity issues, might get full of himself after his dazzling rookie season and not stay physically diligent during the lockout. The running back spent the lockout training in Arizona and reshaped his body, coming back even bigger and stronger -- and, most importantly, motivated.

"He came back knowing that he has a starting job and he doesn't want to let that loose," offensive tackle Donald Penn said. "He seems like he's grown up. He hasn't been late to any meeting this year. I know that was a problem sometimes last season, but he seems really focused to take that next step."

4. Blount's backup will be Kregg Lumpkin. Even though Lumpkin had just one carry last season, he's a player the staff is very high on. They are so confident that the big, versatile back can be a factor in the run and passing game that they were fine letting high-character veteran Cadillac Williams walk in free agency.

5. Wide receiver Arrelious (Regis) Benn has been full-go. That's just seven months after major knee surgery. The coaching staff has managed his practice time and will limit him at points in the preseason -- he probably won't play in the opener this week -- but he will be starting alongside Mike Williams.

New guys to watch
Adrian Clayborn. No player is creating more buzz at training camp -- well, other than quarterback Josh Freeman -- than the rookie defensive end. Everyone knew the first-round draft pick had a great motor, but Clayborn is also disciplined and possesses far more pass-rushing skills than anyone knew. I was told he has the uncanny ability to decipher the depth of the quarterback's drop when he sets to pass, which allows him to take ideal angles.

"He's making me better," Penn said. "We are battling like crazy. He's making me feel like a rookie again, like I'm fighting for a roster spot. He's real quiet, too, almost scary quiet. He gets after it and has great counter moves."

Mason Foster. Tampa Bay let veteran middle linebacker Barrett Ruud leave in free agency because it thinks it can get immediate bounce from third-round pick Mason Foster from Washington. At 241 pounds, Foster is already 20 pounds or so heavier than Ruud. He's been able to grasp the responsibility as the play-caller and is the needed physical presence coach Raheem Morris wanted to help solidify the run defense.

Dezmon Briscoe. The Cincinnati Bengals didn't appreciate it when the Bucs poached the wide receiver off their practice squad last season. They plan to showcase Briscoe this season and prove sometimes ruthless swiping of players is worth it. The 6-foot-2, 210-pounder is a solid route runner who might have the best hands on the team. He needs to be more consistent and diligent about his craft, according to a team source, but he could end up being a significant contributor to a youthful receiving corps.

Overheard
There is a lot of faith being placed in the defensive line to help the secondary. The front four -- Bowers, Clayborn, Gerald McCoy, Roy Miller (and second-year DT Brian Price) -- is young, but Dominik believes the talent level, combined with the coaching, could really cause problems for opponents.

Prediction
As long as Freeman is healthy, the Bucs have a chance to win the most competitive division in football. I'm still a little wary that they might not have fortified enough on defense, especially in the secondary. Even so, the players have bought in -- especially to Freeman. While getting past the Saints and Falcons won't be easy, the Bucs are a team on the rise.

Mike Will & V-Jax
Old 08-10-2011, 09:17 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

The Bucs secondary is a lot better than what most people think. Ok, Biggers was thrashed by Calvin Johnson, but when Myron Lewis was on him, he didn't do a single thing.

One writer believes Lewis could be green bay's version of Tramon Williams as a physical CB that has the skill set and ability to make plays. Biggers is more suited to play the slot.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:58 AM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

Some camp notes:

- Talib sat out today and instead of Myron Lewis running with the 1st team, it was Elbert Mack?

I have no idea what is going on here, but it appears Lewis might be struggling.

I got this from the pewterreport.com insider, so I cannot post a link.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:28 AM    (permalink
V.I.P
Pro Bowler

Is Lewis strugging, or was he just given the day off? Though Mack was like listed as the last CB?

Don't wanna jump to conclusions, since Morris likes to randomly give certain guys day offs.

Mike Will & V-Jax
Old 08-11-2011, 06:41 AM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-I-P View Post
Thought he was gonna be another gem by Dominik, but tough break. We should of IR'd him?
He was waived/injured. That means he is exposed to waivers to other teams that can bring him in and own his rights but they would have to hold him on their active roster until the final cutdown.

Being waived/injured is a precursor to being stashed on IR.
brasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:46 AM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Mason Foster. Tampa Bay let veteran middle linebacker Barrett Ruud leave in free agency because it thinks it can get immediate bounce from third-round pick Mason Foster from Washington. At 241 pounds, Foster is already 20 pounds or so heavier than Ruud. He's been able to grasp the responsibility as the play-caller and is the needed physical presence coach Raheem Morris wanted to help solidify the run defense.
Where does Wyche get his information? At 241 lbs, Foster is exactly the same weight that Ruud was for the 2005 combine. I seriously doubt that after 6 NFL seasons, Ruud has lost 20 lbs in that time.

Then he also says that we "poached Briscoe off the Bengal practice squad"... Briscoe never made it to the Bengal practice squad. He was offered a ps contract by both the Bucs and Bengals and the Bucs offered far more so he came here.

Last edited by brasho : 08-11-2011 at 06:49 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:45 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasho View Post
Where does Wyche get his information? At 241 lbs, Foster is exactly the same weight that Ruud was for the 2005 combine. I seriously doubt that after 6 NFL seasons, Ruud has lost 20 lbs in that time.

Then he also says that we "poached Briscoe off the Bengal practice squad"... Briscoe never made it to the Bengal practice squad. He was offered a ps contract by both the Bucs and Bengals and the Bucs offered far more so he came here.
I don't believe Ruud is 241. At the combine, they listed Foster at 245 and he looks more thick than Ruud, especially in the lower body and arms. He's more aggressive than Ruud.

I'm Pretty sure Ruud plays around 235.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:30 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-I-P View Post
Is Lewis strugging, or was he just given the day off? Though Mack was like listed as the last CB?

Don't wanna jump to conclusions, since Morris likes to randomly give certain guys day offs.
He wasn't given the day off. Talib, McCoy were given the day off.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:55 PM    (permalink
SpinaMan
Rookie

SpinaMan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.SpinaMan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

We looked good at there yesterday. Dezmon Briscoe looked solid at there. Preston Parker had a couple of drops and the D pitched a shut out!
Old 08-13-2011, 04:44 PM    (permalink
Legacy
Veteran

Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This was posted on the unofficial Bucs board and I thought I'd share it, since it was a great hit.

Old 08-13-2011, 05:52 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
This was posted on the unofficial Bucs board and I thought I'd share it, since it was a great hit.

Larry ASSANTE BABY! Future starter at SS, ahead of Cody Grimm. Yeah, I said it. More upside and talne.t, better awareness and agression.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:23 PM    (permalink
bullg8rdaddy
NFLDC ROY 2010
Veteran

bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Major Wright's hit on that Oklahoma WR was better. :P

"I don't do Pro Days, we send our scouts to those. I would rather spend my time watching film. The eye in the sky never lies. Functional Strength and athletic ability are the first things we look for in a college prospect." - Mark Dominik, Buccaneers GM
Old 08-14-2011, 06:54 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

Hah nah. Assante is going to be a baller for us.

BTW, Myron lewis has been held out of practice/KC game. Not injury, just to keep him fresh I guess. He was doing good in most of the practices except for the 1 he was just awful, but most part had good reviews.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:05 PM    (permalink
SpinaMan
Rookie

SpinaMan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.SpinaMan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

What did you guys think of Anthony Gaitor? I thought he was solid and not afraid to get dirty.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:30 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinaMan View Post
What did you guys think of Anthony Gaitor? I thought he was solid and not afraid to get dirty.
I saw two nice pass breakups. He may not contribute early, unless Talib is suspended or any injury occurs to CBs on the roster. He'll make the team, but I think we have something nice in this kid. He's a playmaker and isn't afraid to get physical. Could be a future nickel in this league.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:10 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gaitor was great for a 7th rounder. Hopefully he can basically play Dime or ST only his rookie year while he learns the rope. Then when Ronde goes maybe we'll have another steal to replace him. Talib, Lewis, Biggers + Gaitor :|

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:35 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I don't believe Ruud is 241. At the combine, they listed Foster at 245 and he looks more thick than Ruud, especially in the lower body and arms. He's more aggressive than Ruud.

I'm Pretty sure Ruud plays around 235.
Nope, both weighed EXACTLY 241 at their combines. Ruud probably weighed in the 240's. He looks thick, he plays thin. The point is, Wyche said Foster weighs 20 lbs more than Ruud despite not having an ounce of fact or research to back up his claim.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:03 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Larry ASSANTE BABY! Future starter at SS, ahead of Cody Grimm. Yeah, I said it. More upside and talne.t, better awareness and agression.
Not so fast there. Grimm has elite instincts and there's no way Asante is better than him in that regard. Hitting is overrated as well. Asante does have more talent than Grimm but it doesn't matter when Grimm diagnoses plays quickly, has the quicks to get there and then is a consistent tackler. Asante and Grimm could both start eventually, although I'm still expecting a lot from Ahmad Black in some capacity in the future, and TJax might actually get clean for once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinaMan View Post
You guys can go re-read my thoughts on Gaitor on this forum if you'd like. There, I had to have my brasho moment. I had ridiculous expectations for Gaitor thinking he could step in as a nickel corner immediately and fit in as Ronde's replacement next year or even earlier if injuries occurred. I know he's a 7th rounder but his film was that good and he fits the defense perfectly. I actually might've been right.

Unfortunately I thought Allen Bradford could step in and pound the rock like Blount (why not?) but it hasn't turned out that way so far. He's got an uphill battle to crack the top 3, and he may end up on the PS.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:18 PM    (permalink
bullg8rdaddy
NFLDC ROY 2010
Veteran

lolz @ brasho moment

Old 08-18-2011, 02:48 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

According to rotoworld.com, Briscoe has taking firm control of the starting flanker position.

Not big news because once Benn is healthy and gets back to his old self, we'll be running 3 WR sets (4 including Winslow).

I think our offensive Attack is going to be lethal for opposing secondaries. I mean, if our o-line gives Freeman the time they gave him against KC, damn guys. They've looked solid/good and rotoworld.com's Silva ranked them the 10th best unit heading into 2011.

Good news for Free, Blount and the quad WRs/Te.