Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 08-12-2011, 03:17 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Big East is supposedly going after Kansas and Kansas State but it would survive because of basketball. The football Big East schools aren't happy about all of this though. I'm still holding out hope Rutgers gets an invite to Big 10.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:26 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proshoota25 View Post
these "superconferences" would have so much power and notoriety in them.... don't you think that would almost certainly make the NCAA change over to a playoff format? I don't think any teams could really run the table in these types of conferences....... and i think that would be great for college football.
The NCAA would love a playoff that they could run. They currently have no hand in the CFB post season for FBS teams. They run all of the other playoffs.

The good old boy system is what is keeping bowls alive. Presidents don't want to rock the gravy train and the bowl do everything they can (legal and illegal) to keep the conference and school decision makers happy.

The bowl system could still exist outside of the playoff system. If you aren't in the playoffs, go to a bowl.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:28 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Texas A&M moving their official vote up to this Monday.

And if they decide to move from Big 12, it will be to the SEC, plain and simple. No way they jump to Big 10.

Virginia Tech is now being reported as the accompanying team with TAMU.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:30 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I don't think West Virginia fits the ACC's academic profile very well at all. If you take that out of the equation it's a good fit for both sides, but I just can't see the ACC doing that.

It's a shame about the Big East if there is some sort of domino effect. I think they're headed in the right direction with the Villanova push...but there's just too many bad moves and slumping programs to make it all work. College football in the North East is going to be weaker and more divided than ever :/
Unfortunately, I think you are right. The academic profile of WVU is pretty poor (apologies to WVU grads) and I seriously doubt that the schools that make up the ACC would want them.

I do think Big East football is destined for the dumpster. The Northeast is, for whatever reason, terrible for football, despite having a lot of people.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:32 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigaro View Post
Texas A&M moving their official vote up to this Monday.

And if they decide to move from Big 12, it will be to the SEC, plain and simple. No way they jump to Big 10.

Virginia Tech is now being reported as the accompanying team with TAMU.
Wow. VaTech to the SEC is a cool angle. Where did you hear that?

Agree with A&M to the SEC. Geographically it makes a whole lot of sense. The only way I could see them joining the B1G is if that made up UT scenario comes true.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:36 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Northeast is way more into the professional sports teams.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 08-12-2011, 03:36 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
Wow. VaTech to the SEC is a cool angle. Where did you hear that?

Agree with A&M to the SEC. Geographically it makes a whole lot of sense. The only way I could see them joining the B1G is if that made up UT scenario comes true.
Quote:
Sources tell FRM that Virginia Tech is more likely to be the SEC's 14th team. Adds DC/Baltimore TV market, which equals more money.
Was posted on an SC forum, but after reading further into the thread, this came up;

Quote:
View Post
TravHaney Travis Haney
RT @KyleTucker_CJ: Spoke to #Hokies AD Jim Weaver, who said no one from the SEC has contacted him "and I don't think they will."

TravHaney Travis Haney
RT @KyleTucker_CJ: And if the SEC did invite VT to join, Weaver said, "I think we would politely decline."
There's also the issue of whether VT could realistically join another conference without also UVA.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:40 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After the dust settles I think the ACC survives untouched unless the Big Ten goes after Maryland, which is a possibility. Ultimately, the ACC will probably just expand to 14 teams due to the lack of top tier programs located in their footprint.

I see Pitt and WVU being added to the ACC.

The Big Ten targeting Syracuse, UConn, Kansas, and Kansas State (Cuse and UConn for the NYC market & the Kansas teams for basketball). Rutgers instead of KSU being a possibility because of the NYC market.

The SEC eventually getting Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, and Missouri.

The Pac 12 expanding to 14 with TCU and Texas Tech.

The remnants of programs then eventually forming a new league that looks like this:

Air Force
Baylor
Boise State
Houston
Iowa State
SMU
Southern Miss

Cincinnati
East Carolina
Louisville
Rutgers
Temple
UCF
USF

This new "mid-major" conference could be or could not be a BCS conference. Probably not, but who knows?

This is a possibility just because after all of the Big East football schools are split up between the other conferences that would leave the BE basketball schools together to form their own super basketball conference.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude

Last edited by diabsoule : 08-12-2011 at 03:43 PM.
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:01 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
After the dust settles I think the ACC survives untouched unless the Big Ten goes after Maryland, which is a possibility. Ultimately, the ACC will probably just expand to 14 teams due to the lack of top tier programs located in their footprint.

I see Pitt and WVU being added to the ACC.

The Big Ten targeting Syracuse, UConn, Kansas, and Kansas State (Cuse and UConn for the NYC market & the Kansas teams for basketball). Rutgers instead of KSU being a possibility because of the NYC market.

The SEC eventually getting Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, and Missouri.

The Pac 12 expanding to 14 with TCU and Texas Tech.

The remnants of programs then eventually forming a new league that looks like this:

Air Force
Baylor
Boise State
Houston
Iowa State
SMU
Southern Miss

Cincinnati
East Carolina
Louisville
Rutgers
Temple
UCF
USF

This new "mid-major" conference could be or could not be a BCS conference. Probably not, but who knows?

This is a possibility just because after all of the Big East football schools are split up between the other conferences that would leave the BE basketball schools together to form their own super basketball conference.
Not saying that it won't happen, but I'd be absolutely shocked if the B1G added those teams you listed. The only AAU school is Kansas. Nebraska was AAU and just got dropped (too much ag, not enough medicine). None of the schools are good at football. None of them are in big markets. Cuse and UConn might add NYC, but I doubt it. That's a pro sports town anyways.

And going to GiantsFan, I understand that the Northeast FANS love pro sports, but why don't kids play football? It's weird to me that there isn't much talent coming out of that area.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:20 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Not saying that it won't happen, but I'd be absolutely shocked if the B1G added those teams you listed. The only AAU school is Kansas. Nebraska was AAU and just got dropped (too much ag, not enough medicine). None of the schools are good at football. None of them are in big markets. Cuse and UConn might add NYC, but I doubt it. That's a pro sports town anyways.

And going to GiantsFan, I understand that the Northeast FANS love pro sports, but why don't kids play football? It's weird to me that there isn't much talent coming out of that area.
Best case scenario for the Big Ten if they wanted just AAU schools would be if they had a chance to invite Missouri, Rutgers, Pitt, and Kansas. Pitt would be a viable candidate to invite but Penn St will likely block that move. Rutgers doesn't offer much outside of women's basketball but it could bring in the NYC market.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 08-12-2011, 04:31 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Northeast is way more into the professional sports teams.
The interest is here when the quality of play is high. What little football talent we have here has a tendency to drift to the South or to the West...and all of the big media markets here are split up conference wise, for the most part.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:47 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:

Huh no talent? I think NJ is 5th or 6th in most D1A football players which is incredible considering how small of a state we are. If you look at the NFL there are large amounts of players from NJ as well.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 08-12-2011, 04:48 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Best case scenario for the Big Ten if they wanted just AAU schools would be if they had a chance to invite Missouri, Rutgers, Pitt, and Kansas. Pitt would be a viable candidate to invite but Penn St will likely block that move. Rutgers doesn't offer much outside of women's basketball but it could bring in the NYC market.
Basketball team is up and comng and football should be much better after a blip last year. We're finally getting the NJ kids to stay home also which is going to help immensely.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 08-12-2011, 05:32 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Basketball team is up and comng and football should be much better after a blip last year. We're finally getting the NJ kids to stay home also which is going to help immensely.
I wasn't trying to belittle Rutgers at all. I love Greg Schiano as a coach but when compared to other teams on the market Rutgers ranks below them. If a conference like what I posted above would come together then Rutgers could be loads more competitive than they have been in recent years.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 08-12-2011, 05:33 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
I wasn't trying to belittle Rutgers at all. I love Greg Schiano as a coach but when compared to other teams on the market Rutgers ranks below them. If a conference like what I posted above would come together then Rutgers could be loads more competitive than they have been in recent years.
I know you weren't, I was just trying to state my case as to why Rutgers would be a good addition. We 100% need to show more on the field and the court though in upcoming years.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 08-12-2011, 05:37 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
I know you weren't, I was just trying to state my case as to why Rutgers would be a good addition. We 100% need to show more on the field and the court though in upcoming years.
Next year LSU plays Rutgers in the SEC/Big East basketball challenge. CRIPPLE FIGHT!

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 08-12-2011, 05:38 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Next year LSU plays Rutgers in the SEC/Big East basketball challenge. CRIPPLE FIGHT!
We should romp you with the top 10 class as soph's plus Wally Judge. We'll see though. The Rutgers football OOC gets a little serious also finally with Penn State, Miami, and Cal all coming up soon.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 08-12-2011, 09:58 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Huh no talent? I think NJ is 5th or 6th in most D1A football players which is incredible considering how small of a state we are. If you look at the NFL there are large amounts of players from NJ as well.
New Jersey is actually middle of the pack.

45 recruits last year which puts them at the 15th most. Players in D1 per high school players is straight up middle of the pack (22nd).

If you look at the ratios, they are terrible for the North East. New York has 38k kids playing HS ball, yet only 29 are in D1.

Big East states in general are rotten. I just don't get it. The humans can't be that much different, it's got to be the systems and the culture (i.e. no desire to play).

But yes, of a bunch of terrible football states, New Jersey is respectable.

Hopefully the money that is pouring into Rutgers athletics can take them to a consistently higher level. They would be a great addition to the B1G if they could do that.

Diab, I don't think Pitt has a chance (academics). Mizzou and Rutgers, in that order. Delaney has also proven that they will overlook the academics to a point if you bring the rep and eyeballs.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:06 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Playoffs? The winds are changing!

B1G and Pac-12 ADs favor a Plus-One format.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:38 PM    (permalink
Complex
All-Pro

Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Texas A&M going to the SEC. Hope Florida State follows, I wonder what Miami will do.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:59 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
DannySheridan1 Danny Sheridan

I've been told the name of the person the NCAA feels allegedly paid Cecil Newton & where witness is. more when on @finebaum this week.
Things are heating up...
Old 08-14-2011, 10:01 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

And it looks like the big Y! story may be about Da U.

Quote:
Alleged Ponzi schemer Nevin Shapiro is creating a storm – or should I say hurricane? – of controversy this week by promising to tattle on the University of Miami's athletics program.
In July, a federal grand jury in New Jersey indicted the former owner of Miami Beach-based Capitol Investments USA on charges he allegedly oversaw an $880 million Ponzi scheme linked to his wholesale grocery distribution business. Investor losses are believed to be more than $80 million.
The indictment alleges Capitol Investments had no active wholesale grocery business for years and that Shapiro used new investor funds to pay off previous investors, as well as to fund his own lavish lifestyle.
On Tuesday, The Miami Herald published a story saying Shapiro plans to write a book about alleged NCAA violations at the school, where he once was considered a major donor. Shapiro’s name was on the student-athlete lounge.
The name of the book will be, according to Shapiro's attorney, "The Real U: 2001 to 2010. Inside the Eye of the Hurricane."
Shapiro has indicated he will plead guilty to criminal charges against him at a hearing set for Sept. 19.
The University of Miami’s official athletics website once described Shapiro as "an ardent, devoted, intense supporter."
Shapiro’s attorney, Maria Elena Perez, said in an email that Shapiro "could have very well used all the money he donated to the University of Miami for his own use, but instead he donated it for the good of the university's athletic program."
Supposedly, Shapiro is writing the tell-all book to help raise money for victims of his grocery diversion scam.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:43 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:21 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
This whole house of NCAA cards has a chance of falling apart.

I mean, if USC and OSU are dirty, what does it make some of these southern powerhouses that are so professional that they don't even pretend to care about the "student" part of "student athletes"?

Ugly times ahead. Least excited this year about CFB that I've ever been. So much scandal and vitriol and hypocrisy.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:43 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To say that dude is scum of the Earth would be an insult to scum of the Earth.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote