Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum

Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum Discuss the Chiefs

Old 08-10-2011, 10:26 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What they say during camp doesn't mean a thing, seriously. And Jones was little more than useless towards the end of the year, so.. anyone that can be effective when it matters will start over him.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:01 PM    (permalink
onejayhawk
Veteran

onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onejayhawk View Post
Jones is playing for a roster spot. JC's is pretty secure.

J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
That's funny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
It's true. He was solid last year, but nothing spectacular. Honestly, the McClain signing makes Jones very, very expendable in this offense.
It is true, though LMac has only a limited amount to do with it. Thomas Jones has to show he still can benefit the team, with someone else handling the short yardage situations. That may be only 5-8 carries a game, but that 100-125 carries will almost all come out of TJ's total. That's if the team is convinced he is still a viable RB.

J
onejayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:17 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I guarantee Jones makes the Chiefs 53 man roster. Quote me...
Old 08-11-2011, 12:11 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onejayhawk View Post
It is true, though LMac has only a limited amount to do with it. Thomas Jones has to show he still can benefit the team, with someone else handling the short yardage situations. That may be only 5-8 carries a game, but that 100-125 carries will almost all come out of TJ's total. That's if the team is convinced he is still a viable RB.

J
Teams need 4-5 good RBs. Especially if your goal is to run the football.

McClain, Jones, Charles, and McCluster all fill different roles.

McClain is a utility back who can carry a load if it's needed. He's a low YPC guy. He can lead block some, and he's a good receiver.

Jones is just your standard RB. He brings leadership and is a guy you can trust to not make a big mistake in an important part of the game.

Charles is the slasher/homerun threat. You want to limit his carries to keep him fresh and effective.

McCluster is the utility player who can move all over the place from the backfield to the wing to the slot and even out wide. He's a guy you try to get the ball to in space or use as a decoy to run something else.

None of the 4 RBs are in danger of not making the team. The big thing with McClain and a healthy McCluster to go along with Breaston and Baldwin is this team was terrible on 3rd and short situations... Their inability to convert literally cost them the games against the Colts, Texans, and Raiders (first one).

People say this was a weak 10-win team, but they should have won 13...pretty easily. With the players they have on offense now, they convert those 3rd downs and win those games...and who knows what else they would have been able to do. Kind of sheds a different light on what the expectations should be.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:51 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, is their anything bad with the Gaither signing? I don't see him playing RT if healthy, he is not the best run blocker and his trouble leverage wise in the run game. If he is 80% of what he was in 09 then I'd put him at LT and Albert at RT (which is the position I thought he would be best suited at coming out of the draft). Yet, if he is not healthy, put him on PUP develop him physically to get healthy? I dunno. I do not see any risk!
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:20 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would like to know the numbers of the deal that Gaither got but like you said I see it as low risk high reward.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:01 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't see why the numbers matter at all. The only people that matters to are the player and the people who have to juggle the payroll. They got a guy who actually is an upgrade over Richardson. They didn't draft anyone because Richardson was better than or equal to any of the tackles that were available (even going on potential). They weren't going to bring in a guy who was about the same level as Richardson (which I'd said all along). But Gaither is a clear-cut upgrade and a perfect fit for what they're trying to do with their OL. Awesome.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:15 PM    (permalink
BPhilb
Veteran

BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.

I am stoked. This is huge even if it won't pay dividends right away. Our line was slowly coming together but if he gets healthy we could have a really good line which I believe will help our entire football team. I've been expecting a step back this season because of the schedule, but if Gaither can play at a healthy level I will rethink that thought.
BPhilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:09 PM    (permalink
onejayhawk
Veteran

onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
Teams need 4-5 good RBs. Especially if your goal is to run the football.

McClain, Jones, Charles, and McCluster all fill different roles. True

McClain is a utility back who can carry a load if it's needed. He's a low YPC guy. He can lead block some, and he's a good receiver. Partly true. McClain lacks the breakaway dimension. The flip side of which is that he is very reliable for his yardage. As a FB, he is a definite threat to get the ball, which is unusual these days.

Jones is just your standard RB. He brings leadership and is a guy you can trust to not make a big mistake in an important part of the game. Thomas Jones has been what you describe. There are serious questions whether it is still the case. A minimum YPC is essential.

Charles is the slasher/homerun threat. You want to limit his carries to keep him fresh and effective.No argument.

McCluster is the utility player who can move all over the place from the backfield to the wing to the slot and even out wide. He's a guy you try to get the ball to in space or use as a decoy to run something else. Sure.

None of the 4 RBs are in danger of not making the team. The big thing with McClain and a healthy McCluster to go along with Breaston and Baldwin is this team was terrible on 3rd and short situations... Their inability to convert literally cost them the games against the Colts, Texans, and Raiders (first one). Again, Thomas Jones has to demonstrate he can generate the requisite YPC, or he has no value. As it is, he has lost a large piece of last season's role to LeRon McClain. LMac is also a viable option in the role TJ played last year, especially if DMX gets expanded PT. Granted the team needs 4-5 RB, but there are also young players looking for a roster spot.

People say this was a weak 10-win team, but they should have won 13...pretty easily. With the players they have on offense now, they convert those 3rd downs and win those games...and who knows what else they would have been able to do. Kind of sheds a different light on what the expectations should be.
This last is a separate issue, so I will throw out some facts. There is a formula for determining expected W/L ratio from the points scored and allowed. Based on that formula, the Chiefs are a 9-7 team in 2010.
http://footballoutsiders.com/info/glossary#pythagorean
If it is any consolation, the team should have won 4 games in 2008 and 5 games in 2009. That being said, converting 3rd downs better would keep the defense off the field, and score more points. Suffice to say, I think the 10-6 record is soft, but more for the schedule than the performance.

The schedule is much tougher this year, since we replace the weakest division, NFC West, with one of the strongest, NFC North. We swept the NFC West, but 2-2 is more realistic against the NFC North. I think 10-6 is about right, since the team has noticable improvement. To get 13 wins, the defense needs to make a quantum jump, and our return game a bigger one.

J
Old 08-12-2011, 07:16 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Jones' touches will be cut into, but I think his role is still the same. He's the other runningback. McClain will get touches in the running game and receiving game, but not regularly in normal situations.

Thomas Jones had a lowered YPC because he was asked to do a lot of the heavy short yardage running (which he ended up not being exceptional at), but he had a lot of gashing runs and ran well fairly consistently. Jones had a very good year. Anything negative was magnified by the psycho fans who were rabid any time Jones got a carry instead of Charles.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:45 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Jones 2 carries for 25 yards nice.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:08 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Well the scrimmage is over.

I understand where the coaching staff is coming from with pretty much only a week of practice but I hope they treat the next game as a game not a scrimmage.

I'm not saying show everything but I at least want to see the passing game with our starters.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:27 PM    (permalink
T-RICH49
All-NFLDC

T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I realize they were 3rd and 4th stringers but come on how about next game we try not to get Stanzi killed huh?
Old 08-13-2011, 12:43 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It would have been nice to see Stanzi practice with a competent OL tonight (like, say, instead of Palko) but I'm not worried about this game at all. A lot of people are freaking out by it and I just don't get it.

Stanzi looked good in his limited time (and protection).. Houston looked solid.. Jalil Brown might be a player at CB.. and it's late so that's all I really remember.

It is what it is: a preseason game where our most important players sat. It's no big deal. Tampa did a good job though getting some work in for their starters. Different philosophies and all.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:45 AM    (permalink
T-RICH49
All-NFLDC

T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am stunned Cassel did'nt throw the ball at least once when he was in
Old 08-13-2011, 04:18 PM    (permalink
onejayhawk
Veteran

At the rate things were going, it would have been a pick 6.

J
Old 08-13-2011, 04:46 PM    (permalink
devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
Pro Bowler

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anything from my guy Markhausen?

Thanks to Bone Krusher for the sig
devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:56 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Not much. He was in for a KR and some Bucs player lit into him which drew a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, but that's all I can remember from him. :)

Old 08-13-2011, 09:23 PM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Didn't get to watch much of the game, but I heard on the radio Jalil Brown being mentioned quite frequently in a positive light which is encouraging. On TV, I saw Stanzi with a little bit of escapability and Justin Houston stretched a wide run to the sideline. I like seeing that after countless years of seeing the Chiefs blow contain.
villagewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:26 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope Stanzi gets to come in after Cassel the next game to see what he can do.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:13 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

I hope so too. I want to see Stanzi behind the first team OL.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:11 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

No real news with that game. The Chiefs' backups aren't good. They've only had a few drafts, and haven't been able to focus on depth very much yet. We'll see vast improvements to the pre-season roster in years 4 and 5 when the Chiefs' starters are pretty much set and the position battles are for backup spots.

Right now, the guys that are the 3rd and 4th string are just bodies. When you turn those roster spots into competition, pre-season games will be more fun to watch.

I love watching New England pre-season games because everyone on the roster is well-coached and knows the system and is capable of doing something on the field in a game situation. That's when you know you'll have long-term success.

The Chiefs have a great regular season roster with enough depth to survive a normal amount of injuries. They are definitely a Super Bowl contender. However, they don't have the inherent depth to pull guys like Landon Cohen and Kyle Love out of their ass when a bunch of guys go down. (and still have guys like Darryl Richard, Kade Weston, and other players who are capable of filling an NFL roster spot/role chilling on the practice squad)

Last edited by nepg : 08-14-2011 at 01:14 PM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:49 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Chiefs to give Gaither a shot at Left Tackle.

According to Adam Teicher of the Kansas City Star.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:04 PM    (permalink
onejayhawk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
Chiefs to give Gaither a shot at Left Tackle.

According to Adam Teicher of the Kansas City Star.
That was expected. They are auditioning him for swing tackle. The target is R'oC, not Albert.

J
Old 08-18-2011, 08:07 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

http://rotoworld.com/

Quote:
Chiefs DE Wallace Gilberry has been as impressive as any defensive player in training camp.

Noticeably bigger in the upper body this year, Gilberry has been "almost unstoppable" rushing the passer off the edge. Beat writer Bob Gretz noted that every offensive tackle on the roster has been embarrassed "at least once" by Gilberry's power rush. The situational pass rusher finished second only to Tamba Hali with seven sacks last year.
Quote:
Beat writer Bob Gretz chose Dwayne Bowe as the best offensive player in Chiefs camp.

Per Gretz, Bowe showed up in perhaps better shape than any player on the roster. His route running continues to improve annually, and Gretz believes Bowe is "primed for another big season." We don't disagree, but his numbers will go down against a tougher schedule with more competition for targets.