Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 08-17-2011, 08:12 PM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The only reason this seems so sensational is because a booster actually came out and confessed and because of the opulence that is related with Miami's nightlife.

Anyone who doesn't think this sort of thing happens at every major college is just burying their head in the sand. It's just like steroids in baseball, if the NCAA investigates everyone, everyone will be guilty. Far easier to pick a few programs that haven't won anything recently and punish them, especially after how stupid they looked with the whole USC thing. Hence targetting OSU, UNC and now Miami since.

Hit them hard and then fix the rules and pretend it never happened.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:19 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogitalia View Post
Anyone who doesn't think this sort of thing happens at every major college is just burying their head in the sand.
That's a ridiculous and totally unfounded statement. And you can't even compared Miami's situation to Ohio State. It's the difference between shooting someone and punching them.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:17 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Too bad the cleared guys not from Miami....

Some of the stuff is pretty petty. For Tavares Gooden it was buying dinner and such on his birthday....pretty bush.

Some of the stuff is just garbage, however obviously the prostitutes, straight cash, abortion, rims, etc. I can't promote...

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:19 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

im sure theres a former cane in prison waiting to pat shapiro on the back..with a prison shank

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:51 AM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post

Check it out.
You're an asshole.

I just broke SWDC rule #1

"1. No Personal Attacks - Criticize the Post, Not the Poster. This Applies to PM's, Rep Comments, Posts, etc. "

Was that cheating?

PS: I'm not attacking you, I just wanted to use the first rule :P
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:53 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
You're an asshole.

I just broke SWDC rule #1

"1. No Personal Attacks - Criticize the Post, Not the Poster. This Applies to PM's, Rep Comments, Posts, etc. "

Was that cheating?

PS: I'm not attacking you, I just wanted to use the first rule :P
Crap. I tried to +rep you for making me LOL but I need to spread more rep first.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:02 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't consider that an attack, because I am an asshole.

Also, you're learning how the English language works, and I encourage that.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:03 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

LMao, I love you.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:26 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://miami.247sports.com/Article/O...nd-Canes-36020

Very good read. I agree to a high degree.

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:20 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post

Good article thanks for that. The players contribute so much but only get a small fraction, so I can see how a player would take a little on the side. However, that doesn't excuse them from punishment. They have to play by the current rules, even if the rules aren't perfect right now.

I honestly wish college football wouldn't be as big of a deal as it is. It's such a big business and there is so much money around that doesn't go to the guys that really earn it. I don't think that players can be straight up paid because I just don't know a way that would be semi fair between teams.

Would players make more money by going to a big name team like Alabama or USC? Would SEC teams pay out more per player than PAC-12 teams? Would starters make more than back ups? Would anyone go to lesser team if it meant they would get less cash?

I think that they players deserve more, but I just don't know how to give it to them. I can't agree to giving players cash until I see a method that is fair and doesn't completely upset the competitive balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:52 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Take it for what it's worth, A&M held a private dinner for their top boosters last night. Boosters were told Aggies, OU, Mizz, VaTech to SEC

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:10 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post

That was absolutely fantastic. He came out swinging there and just really hit it.

Quote:
The difference, as far as I can tell, is that the NCAA has done a wonderful job duping people into believing this multi-billion dollar a year industry is pursued for the sake of amateurism. Itís a total sham. The coaches arenít amateurs, the administrators arenít amateurs, the corporate sponsors and media companies that make hundreds of millions of dollars a year on the backs of these players arenít amateurs. The only "amateursĒ involved are the guys doing all the work. Pretty nice racket if you can get it.
Scathing.

I really think the system, as it's presently constituted, doesn't make much sense anymore with this much money involved. I just don't think there's a particularly good or easy way to go about fixing all this. Football is the only major North American sport(and one of the only sports period) without any sort of farm system, in large part because the idea of playing football professionally and viable professional leagues weren't established until far after college football was a national phenomenon. I don't think that works on some levels anymore.

I will say that this Miami stuff really isn't the textbook example for the idea of the NCAA as a commercial entity. The reason this entire thing was a big deal was because of the lack of institutional control and the idea that recruits/players were being reigned in with sex. The money was part of it, but if that was the only element of the story it wouldn't have been near as big of a deal/looked as bad.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:59 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Spoke to a source who was part of UM football team under Randy Shannon. Confirmed some of Shapiro's allegations, but says some are bogus

Source from UM during Shannon yrs says asst. coaches Clint Hurtt and Joe Pannunzio used Shapiro as recruiting tool. Brought them to his home

Source says he never heard Shannon mention Shapiro's name to the team, but knows he didn't like him one bit

Source also says asst coach Jeff Stoutland was "as clean as they come"

My source (@ UM during Shannon yrs) says he wasnt aware of players taking $. Knew of recruits getting royal treatment with Shapiro, not cash
From Adam Kuperstein.

Kinda weird that Shapiro wouldn't mention Pannunzio, but other sources did. No idea why though.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg

Last edited by draftguru151 : 08-18-2011 at 10:28 PM.
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:08 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The President of the NCAA says the "death penalty" is a possibility for Miami.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...a-deathpenalty

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:19 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Would the ACC still be allowed to have a championship game if Miami is suspended for a year? That would be a big loss financially and I'm pretty sure the TV networks are leaning heavily on the NCAA here. It's a hypocrisy but I just can't see the NCAA going that far.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:46 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Traditional Media Sucks.

Pretty good opinion piece on how compromised the ESPN's, SI's, Rivals, etc... of the world are wrt covering the sport. They don't want to bite the hand that feeds them.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:21 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

I don't think SI is nearly the group of corporate stooges that ESPN is, on average. ESPN is a joke.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:23 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't think SI is nearly the group of corporate stooges that ESPN is, on average. ESPN is a joke.
I love Disney but when they took over ABC/ESPN, ESPN became crap.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:02 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The "pile on ESPN" thing is the easiest thing in the world to do if you are a sports fan. They obviously deserve it though. It becomes less and less about sports and journalism year and more and more about "Entertainment Tonight with sports".

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:11 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sorry if already posted.. very interesting.. makes the allegations seem a bit less harsh but obviously problems still remain

http://allabouttheu.wordpress.com/20...te-his-claims/
Old 08-19-2011, 04:25 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
The "pile on ESPN" thing is the easiest thing in the world to do if you are a sports fan. They obviously deserve it though. It becomes less and less about sports and journalism year and more and more about "Entertainment Tonight with sports".
It's not just that (although it is partly that), it's that they are incessant suck ups to the establishment. The minute the Roger Goodell/Michael Vick issue came up there were three separate articles on ESPN.com talking about how it was no big deal, while SI.com had two articles questioning the ramifications, etc.

ESPN is far too willing to sacrifice journalistic integrity for access. They also take credit for **** they don't do all the time, and never give credit to other companies when they break stories (never once providing a link to the yahoo! article on Miami, even though they referenced it hundreds of times)

Old 08-19-2011, 04:28 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
It's not just that (although it is partly that), it's that they are incessant suck ups to the establishment. The minute the Roger Goodell/Michael Vick issue came up there were three separate articles on ESPN.com talking about how it was no big deal, while SI.com had two articles questioning the ramifications, etc.

ESPN is far too willing to sacrifice journalistic integrity for access. They also take credit for **** they don't do all the time, and never give credit to other companies when they break stories (never once providing a link to the yahoo! article on Miami, even though they referenced it hundreds of times)
ESPN is the spawn of the devil.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:39 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you haven't already heard - Jordan Jefferson was involved in a bar fight in Tigerland at 2am.

Wanna read about it? Check out my blog located in my sig.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:03 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sportscenter has become Twittercenter.