Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Carolina Panthers Team Forum

Carolina Panthers Team Forum Discuss the Panthers

Old 08-17-2011, 01:47 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So I saw the game from the second quarter, here are my thoughts:

Cam looked tall in the pocket and knows how to throw the ball vertically but he gets in trouble with his throws off his back foot. It was really interesting that he didn't take off and run at all, I like his mentallity to be a passer.

The tight ends were ballin' tonight. Olsen's TD was a great play by him on a poorly thrown ball.

Armanti's returns were really nice and he almost brought in a TD if Cam had thrown with more touch and led him more.

Defensively I thought we were good. More gang tackling than I can remember. Senn, McClain and Stanford did well I thought. This defense is much more aggressive than ever.

I really liked Pilares' touchdown, he looks interesting for a rookie. He is stout and fast.

The sacks on Cam were way to easy, he had no chance with three Giants in the backfield instantly. That can't happen.

I have heard Cam is starting the next game on Friday, I can't wait to see more. Beason, Otah, Schwartz and Hardy are all out. Hardy is supposed to come back soon, I can't wait to see him rushing on the edge again.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:52 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The offensive and defensive lines will dictate the teams performance this season. We are getting worked on both lines against the Dolphins and we've basically gone three and out every possession and then the Dolphins go on a time consuming drive full of wide open receivers and running lanes.

Cam is throwing off his back foot and really doesn't have much time. At least the playcalling is testing him out and not how a real game would be called.

Chad Henne gashes us for a big run, our back up defensive end couldn't keep up. Wow.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:09 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Our lines look bad. Gross looked bad against the Giants (I believe he gave up both sacks JPP had, I know he gave up one of them and looked horrible doing so) and the right side of the line looks horrible. I realize Otah is out but they knew his injury history and decided to not bring in a reliable back-up so that's on them. Bernadeau looks horrible at RG (like he has every time they've put him out there at RG) and I will never understand what they see in Garry Williams because I sure don't see anything there.

Our D-line, wow. Where to even begin. The ends aren't getting any type of pressure and aren't holding up for crap against the run. The tackles constantly got manhandled by a rookie center (who struggled at center in college last year) 1 on 1.

Our corners looked like crap. Stanford and McClain probably shouldn't even be on NFL rosters. Munnerlyn, man, he looked better in run support than he did in coverage and that's a statement if you're saying about one of your starting corners you have issues.
JPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:20 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

How I see our biggest weaknesses (and areas of need in the draft):

Wide Receiver

Its disappointing that Gettis went down. I really hate that Naanee is our #2 receiver now. Our QBs need guys who get separation, not another Jarrett. Would have preferred seeing Cotchery in the mix, but we missed that opportunity.

Cornerback

We are starting Captain Munnerlyn. We all saw what happens when a star like Marshall gets to go against the Captain. Martin and Godfrey will probably look terrible this year because of such erratic cornerback play. I would have liked Carlos Rogers to start opposite Gamble.

Defensive End

Brown is a bust and Norwood is situational. At least we have a potentially good player we can fill this weakness with right now in Hardy. He has to be an impact player for Johnson to make an impact. Otherwise we are going to be paying Johnson to get double teamed.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:51 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

DT is still a huge need. Fua (who I was a fan of before the draft) got pushed around like a ragdoll yesterday and Corvey Irvin would be working at McDonalds if we actually had legitimate NFL players at the position

CB is a huge issue. OL can develop into a problem. Gross is only getting worse and Otah is a lazy ****

QB is very weak as well. We're obviously locked into Cam but that doesn't prevent it from being a weakness

I have to think we'll finish with another top 10 pick and take the best defensive lineman on the board. Either OT or WR in the 2nd round
Old 08-21-2011, 11:48 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
DT is still a huge need. Fua (who I was a fan of before the draft) got pushed around like a ragdoll yesterday and Corvey Irvin would be working at McDonalds if we actually had legitimate NFL players at the position

CB is a huge issue. OL can develop into a problem. Gross is only getting worse and Otah is a lazy ****

QB is very weak as well. We're obviously locked into Cam but that doesn't prevent it from being a weakness

I have to think we'll finish with another top 10 pick and take the best defensive lineman on the board. Either OT or WR in the 2nd round
I'm talking weaknesses we will draft next year.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:14 AM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My thoughts on what we need and how to fill it...

WR- need a future #1, none of the guys we currently have project to better than #2's (if that). Likely a 1st round pick but man we have other needs so this may have to wait a year. We also need a proven #2, I had hopes for Gettis turning into that this year but with the injury it's a lost year for him and we may need to bring one in through free agency.

OT- It doesn't appear that Otah will ever be healthy again, Gross looks like he's starting to decline (could probably do well at RT but I question if he's a legitimate LT at this point). Depth also needs to be upgraded here, Garry Williams probably doesn't even belong on an NFL roster and Lee Ziemba looks like a long term project. At the least a mid round pick should be spent on depth and maybe making a run at Bryant McKinnie (if he gets his fat butt down to under 360) in free agency this year.

OG- Wharton is fine at LG but no one has stepped up to take the starting job at RG. Apparently Schwartz was looking good in camp before hurting his hip but after seeing our DT's in the pre-season games I have to question how much was him and how much was our DT's being crap. Too many needs to draft one, maybe the team can find one that a team is willing to part with in trade for another player.

DE- Charles Johnson is solid, but outside of him we have no one that has proven they are a capable starter. It'd be hard to pass on Quinton Coples if he was there when we pick in the first but I don't know that I feel DE is our biggest need, but the free agent DE class next year isn't very good at all.

DT- Umm, apparently Rivera and Hurney's plan at DT revolved around Ron Edwards. Another rookie isn't the answer at an already young position, probably a vet signing is what is needed here.

CB- Munnerlyn has shown he can't get it done and with teams like the Packers out there with tons of talent at receiver, an upgrade is badly needed. Corners in free agency are expensive so I'd expect this to be a draftable need.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:12 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Game tonight, get ready for Cam to play 3 quarters. Hopefully we see some receivers getting in on the action. The dolphins were to strong for our young offense and we put all the burden on Newton and the passing game.

Hopefully we see improvement on both sides of the line.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:54 AM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Cam needs more time. Both to develop accuracy and to throw. Our receivers need to get more separation too.

Defensive line and corners are terrible. Our linebackers can be amazing but it doesn't matter at all with the way these teams run. I never want to see Brown defend the run again.

Gamble came back and got burned by a rookie. Charles Johnson has yet to show me why we paid him like a probowler.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:40 AM    (permalink
abie006
Rookie

abie006 smells like sex panther.abie006 smells like sex panther.
Unhappy

I also don't like Brown's performance..

abie006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:30 AM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abie006 View Post
I also don't like Brown's performance..
Neither did the Panthers. Released today.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:52 AM    (permalink
abie006
Rookie

abie006 smells like sex panther.abie006 smells like sex panther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvv84 View Post
Neither did the Panthers. Released today.
well, good for the panthers.. :)

abie006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:37 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Cam Newton... WOW!

I haven't seen a performance by a Panther QB like that in a long time. I hate that we lost, but I am still so pumped. Our defense showed up but lost it on two plays, I was really surprised by Johnson and Hardy. The run game needs to show up more, I would have put Stewart in more, he is a better runner vs the Cardinals.

Overall I like the debut of the new coaches too.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:43 AM    (permalink
dj825
Rookie

dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is probably the best our passing game has ever looked. Now if we can get the running game working the way it did a few years ago we are set on offense.
dj825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:10 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

It really sucks that Beason is done for the year, that Achilies just wasn't ready. Connor has big shoes to fill. It's too bad because Beason is so great at directing the defense.

http://www.beason52.com/2011/09/13/14887-the-response

He has a write up about it, I'm pretty impressed by the thought he put into it all. I don't agree he should have played though.

Who steps up on defense now? Connor is in the middle to replace but I don't see him as the leader Beason is emotionally or play calling wise. I am looking at Thomas Davis to be the leader now as well as Charles Godfrey who is actually a captain now.

The Packers are coming to Charlotte soon, I won't be able to watch the game but I'm going to be checking my phone non stop for updates. Our offensive line is going to get slaughtered in my opinion and our receivers are going against some really tough corners so Cam really has it cut out for him.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:06 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

Let me preface this by saying I'm not a Cam hater, just someone trying to not get his hopes up since things seem to always somehow fall apart for this team but...

How much of Cam's success this past week was because of facing two very young starting corners (a rookie & a second year player) and because of the Cards having sold out early to stop the run game?

Like I said, not hating on Cam, just trying not to let one game get my hopes up too high given our past history.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:31 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Has Steve Smith been criticized at all for not playing 100% last year? This year he actually is trying. I know the Panthers were not good last year and seemed set up to fail but the dude still got paid and seemed to have a downtrodden whiny attitude last year. Whatever happened to doing your job 100% no matter the circumstances?
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:22 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

Combine the way defenses played the team last year (double/triple teaming Smitty while focusing everyone else on stopping the run with no other receiver they even had to worry about) with the fact none of the QBs would even take a legit shot down the field (Smitty's strength) and you end up with a pissy star WR.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:47 PM    (permalink
dj825
Rookie

dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yeah idk that it was him not trying so much and more as JPF said getting double and triple teamed. Yeah he prolly didnt try 100% of the time but even if he did idk how affective he can be with the kind of coverage they would play on him and the QBs we had. Arizona doubled him several times but Cam was still able to hit him Cam also spread the ball around so they couldnt just key in on Smitty and were forced to not double him all game, and the result were his two TDs and several big catches. Last year we didnt have a QB who could spread the ball around. That was the main problem and thats why Smitty didnt wanna even really try all the time. Still not much of an excuse but either way...
Old 09-19-2011, 01:59 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

My takeaways from the game:

I don't care about Andrew Luck at all anymore. Cam made mistakes, but he still carried us and we were in the game. That 62 yarder to Smith was insane.

Our defense actually held up well for the most part. Pugh is the biggest weakpoint. I was really impressed with Gamble and Captain.

Our offensive line can pass block but can't run block. The Packers are really good against the run but wow, DeAngelo hasn't done a thing. Stewart is a beast in the passing game.

Byron Bell, undrafted rookie, was plugged in at RT and performed well actually.

I want more Olsen and less Naane. Seriously, Armanti Edwards has to offer more than that.

Steve, hold the ball like you've played the game before.

oh, and Thomas Davis has retorn his ACL. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Our defense has lost it's top two leaders now. We've been really unlucky with these injuries so far.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:43 AM    (permalink
dj825
Rookie

yeah it sucks about Davis...as much as i hate to say it im pretty sure he needs to just cal it a career before he completely screw over his knee more than it already has to be...at the beginning of the season i think LB was our strongest point on defense, at this rate it might become more of a liability if we keep losing players like this.

i agree about Naane, Olsen is the one that needs to be getting those catches/minutes.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:57 AM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj825 View Post
yeah it sucks about Davis...as much as i hate to say it im pretty sure he needs to just cal it a career before he completely screw over his knee more than it already has to be...at the beginning of the season i think LB was our strongest point on defense, at this rate it might become more of a liability if we keep losing players like this.

i agree about Naane, Olsen is the one that needs to be getting those catches/minutes.
Olsen has pretty good numbers compared to our previous tightends but they could be better. The offensive line needs a little help in order for our receivers to get downfield so we are keeping tightends in to block more.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:04 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Little stat I found in the NFL.com power rankings talking about Dom Capers defense getting owned against Cam:

Quote:
rookie passers didn't even average a 50 passer rating against Capers' defenses over his career
But, I'm sure there is some excuse as to why this happened and only other fans can enlighten us on. It's barely even mentioned that our RT last week was an undrafted rookie.

These quotes from analysts are a big part of why Cam has been so shocking. Besides, you know, making history two weeks in a row.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:28 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Adam Shefter with a good radio clip about Cam, talks about visiting Charlotte in June and talking with players.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=7008548

I'm really worried about our secondary with Godfrey out. The guy has had ups and downs but I like how he has developed and the flexibility he brings when he moves to the slot I think that we matched up well with the Packers better than I thought we would because our secondary is exactly what it needs to be skillset-wise to hang with the passing attacks flooding the NFL. Strong safeties aren't as effective anymore, two free safeties is the way to go now. Thank god we are playing a rookie QB with no receivers.

Our linebackers are depleted too and we are going to get a long look at our backups.

So far this years draft class has looked like the best in a long time. Both our rookie DTs are playing well and I have high hopes for Pilares to turn into a dynamic slot player. Hogan needs to get healthy so we can even know what he looks like on the field.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:40 PM    (permalink
dj825
Rookie

so this is the 3rd time in as many games that ive noticed Smitty seemingly not even trying to get his feet in bounds on a catch that it seems fairly easy to do so...wtf is up with that?