Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 12:14 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
i hate fans that point out negatives and brush the positives aside like they never happened. WE HAVEN'T WON MUCH...BE HAPPY GODDAMIT!!! as niner fans, we have enough hate from other teams.. we dont need to be hating on ourselves.

same goes for alex smith. he catches enough heat from outsiders and he doesn't need to be hated on by his own teams fans.;
Oh I'm happy. Thrilled, really that we beat the Eagles. But it's more along the lines of "about time" instead of "see I told you so".

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:19 AM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Oh I'm happy. Thrilled, really that we beat the Eagles. But it's more along the lines of "about time" instead of "see I told you so".
exactly! its about time they let the offense loosen up a bit. i mean its not like we're trying to save ourselves for the superbowl. we have absolutely nothing to lose.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:24 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
exactly! its about time they let the offense loosen up a bit. i mean its not like we're trying to save ourselves for the superbowl. we have absolutely nothing to lose.
Oh I meant the winning in general. But that applies to the offensive philosophy as well.

Quote:
Old 10-03-2011, 02:15 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

By the way did anyone hear the heckler in the crowd around the time Brown fumbled?

"OH MY GOD BROWN WHATS WRONG WITH YOU?"

"WHATS WRONG WITH YOU!!!??"

"GOOD JOB BROWN!!!"

"I HOPE YOU GET CUT!!!"

Quote:
Old 10-03-2011, 04:00 AM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I totally understand Ness's skepticism. I like Alex (admittedly the person more than the player) but this game was another game where he put together one great half. If he could put together a full game against a good team, it would be even better, I guess that's the next step.

This is the first time we've had a staff that does extensive, intelligent offensive gameplanning though, it feels like a different world..new beginning after 7 years? maybe.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:37 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

I don't think Alex has ever had a full game where he's just been dominant.

Quote:
Old 10-03-2011, 06:12 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
By the way did anyone hear the heckler in the crowd around the time Brown fumbled?

"OH MY GOD BROWN WHATS WRONG WITH YOU?"

"WHATS WRONG WITH YOU!!!??"

"GOOD JOB BROWN!!!"

"I HOPE YOU GET CUT!!!"
I did, and I found it hilarious.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Old 10-03-2011, 07:16 AM    (permalink
Rabscuttle
Veteran

Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Brown just channelled his N.C. game Reggie Bush on that one.

As for the Eagles special teams blowing two field goals - so did we. Eagles fans mad about the loss miss that and Niners fans thinking we were just lucky miss that.

There easily could have been more picks by our secondary as well, so more things could have gone our way if people want to argue things could have gone Philly's way. The lineman that tripped Brooks may not have got his hand out and Vick could have been put in the training room... If you really want to argue what ifs...

And Goldson did play much better. Good to see him rebounding.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:10 AM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nice to see Alex Smith playing well. I think the 49ers will loosen the leash on him a little every week as long as he keeps making plays.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:54 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabscuttle View Post

And Crabtree competed on a few balls where he was going to get hit and came down with the ball. To me this is something huge for Alex to build a relationship with him. I really hope this is a sign of things to come, perhaps some timing where they Alex gets more precise and hits Crabtree in stride...
On the post-game show Crab was being interviewed and ,while Alex walked by, yelled "love ya Alex, you da man Alex."

49ers.com posted Harbaugh's locker room speech:
http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/v...3-6e3c84d97d35

Love @46 second mark it appears that Harbaugh is standing on a chair and celebrates wildly.
"When I'm on the field, my one thought is to completely annihilate you and do everything in my power to make you fail. I don't have a single thought about what my hair looks like, what my shoes look like, why my shirt's unbuttoned. I don't care who you are or what you've done in this game. - Brian Wilson
Old 10-03-2011, 01:36 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Smith is at least getting better every week.

Quote:
Old 10-03-2011, 05:42 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't think Alex has ever had a full game where he's just been dominant.
And you never will. There are very few QBs playing today that have the poise, talent, moxy, and improversational skills to put a team on their back and deliver clutch throw after clutch throw. Only elite QBs can carry a entire offense with their arm when everything else around them is crumblimg. But that doesn't mean you cant win just because your only good. I've never seen Flaaco dominate anyone.....doesn't mean he's not a good QB. If Eli Manning can win a Super Bowl, there's no reason Alex can't. A team gets hot at the right time, with the right chemistry and personel dynamics in place and anything can happen. There are plenty of good QBs with Super Bowl rings. Alex is capable of being a good QB. He's been a good QB through 4 games, all things considered.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:28 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
And you never will. There are very few QBs playing today that have the poise, talent, moxy, and improversational skills to put a team on their back and deliver clutch throw after clutch throw. Only elite QBs can carry a entire offense with their arm when everything else around them is crumblimg. But that doesn't mean you cant win just because your only good. I've never seen Flaaco dominate anyone.....doesn't mean he's not a good QB. If Eli Manning can win a Super Bowl, there's no reason Alex can't. A team gets hot at the right time, with the right chemistry and personel dynamics in place and anything can happen. There are plenty of good QBs with Super Bowl rings. Alex is capable of being a good QB. He's been a good QB through 4 games, all things considered.
But that is why we picked him number one overall...so he can carry teams on his back. So he can have games like Aaron Rodgers did against the Broncos yesterday. As for Flacco, did you not see what he did to the Rams last week? He dominated the entire game. Or when he threw four touchdowns against the Bears a couple of years back. Flacco has had quite a few games where he dominated the entire contest. If you're telling me that Alex is NEVER going to have a game where he can dominate the entire contest, then we're going to have to find someone else. The chances of winning a Super Bowl with someone like that are practically non-existent. You need that kind of player, because that is the kind of player that gives you a chance in every game you play regardless of all of the other circumstances.

And there are actually a decent amount of quarterbacks that fit the bill as to what I'm talking about. Not very few. More probably more than ever now:

Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees
Ben Roethlisberger
Matt Schaub
Joe Flacco
Matt Ryan
Matt Stafford
Michael Vick
Eli Manning
Tony Romo
Josh Freeman
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Phillip Rivers

And Cam Newton looks like the newest member to that list. All of those guys have had multiple games where they played well the entire four quarters. That is almost half of the NFL's starting quarterbacks. Sure Alex can be a good, manager-type of quarterback. But that isn't what we envisioned when we picked him number overall, and there are going to be games where the quarterback is going to have to put the team on his back maybe game after game to win. Alex needs to have this kind of potential or else the 49ers are already screwed. Really I probably won't be satisfied until Alex has some megastar game where the 49ers dominate a decent ball club (like a 35-10 game), preferably on the road, and Alex plays well for four quarters throwing more than three touchdowns and no interceptions. Like Steve Young said, Alex still needs that signature, knockout performance.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 10-03-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:06 PM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Freeman? I dunno man. A bunch of those QBs are good, but hardly "carry" their teams on their back. Has Schaub made the playoffs yet? Most of those QBs need a great effort on the other side or their Oline to be successful. Rodgers is the one QB I've seen succeed without a great Oline performance, Vick can but now he's paying for it.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:06 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by binary View Post
Freeman? I dunno man. A bunch of those QBs are good, but hardly "carry" their teams on their back. Has Schaub made the playoffs yet? Most of those QBs need a great effort on the other side or their Oline to be successful. Rodgers is the one QB I've seen succeed without a great Oline performance, Vick can but now he's paying for it.
How many fourth comebacks has Freeman had already? And the productivity for Schaub is there. Hell, he showed a lot of promise when he was in Atlanta. That defense has held the Texans back more than anything. Even Rodgers in 2008 couldn't lead his team to the playoffs with that terrible defense the Packers had.

Quote:
Old 10-04-2011, 03:40 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
But that is why we picked him number one overall...so he can carry teams on his back. So he can have games like Aaron Rodgers did against the Broncos yesterday. As for Flacco, did you not see what he did to the Rams last week? He dominated the entire game. Or when he threw four touchdowns against the Bears a couple of years back. Flacco has had quite a few games where he dominated the entire contest. If you're telling me that Alex is NEVER going to have a game where he can dominate the entire contest, then we're going to have to find someone else. The chances of winning a Super Bowl with someone like that are practically non-existent. You need that kind of player, because that is the kind of player that gives you a chance in every game you play regardless of all of the other circumstances.

And there are actually a decent amount of quarterbacks that fit the bill as to what I'm talking about. Not very few. More probably more than ever now:

Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees
Ben Roethlisberger
Matt Schaub
Joe Flacco
Matt Ryan
Matt Stafford
Michael Vick
Eli Manning
Tony Romo
Josh Freeman
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Phillip Rivers

And Cam Newton looks like the newest member to that list. All of those guys have had multiple games where they played well the entire four quarters. That is almost half of the NFL's starting quarterbacks. Sure Alex can be a good, manager-type of quarterback. But that isn't what we envisioned when we picked him number overall, and there are going to be games where the quarterback is going to have to put the team on his back maybe game after game to win. Alex needs to have this kind of potential or else the 49ers are already screwed. Really I probably won't be satisfied until Alex has some megastar game where the 49ers dominate a decent ball club (like a 35-10 game), preferably on the road, and Alex plays well for four quarters throwing more than three touchdowns and no interceptions. Like Steve Young said, Alex still needs that signature, knockout performance.
Okay, maybe you need to clairfy what you mean by "dominate" because to me that means can you put the offense on your back and shred a great defenses. Flacco can't do that. He can put up good numbers but against elite teams, he is average. He relies on a good ground game, where he can play-action off of and throw in the middle of the field. He has shaky accuracy outside the hashes and when they have had to rely on his arm to win games, he has failed. That's not a dominate QB, IMO. If your talking about just having a good stat line, throwing for mutiple TDs, making a couple of good throws and a high QBR then sure, there's alot of QBs who have had games like those, including Alex. But just about half your list are QBs I consider "good". There are very few who can dominate a game, from the pocket, against good defenses. Rodgers, Eli, Brady, and Brees.....thats about it. Big Ben is as clutch as they come and I give him a ton of props for that alone but he's not a guy who can throw it 50 times a game and win without a stout running game to take some of the pressure off. Rivers should probably be included too. The rest are good-very good QBs. But to me a great QB can manipulate a defense, FROM THE POCKET, with his arm and move the chains and continue to put points on the board, when very little around them is functioning the way it should. Be it, O-Line, running game, defense, talent on the outside, etc. The ones I mention have done it, against top defenses, in the biggest games, year in and year out. Not for a few games here and there. That's my criteria.

As far as Alex, its not his fault he is who he is and its not his fault his was a #1 overall pick. Blame the coach and the GM who chose him. The fact anyone could watch what Alex did at Utah and saw a elite NFL QB is beyond me but I sure didn't. But I can't blame him because McCluess, Nolan, and McCarthy can't evaluate QBs. People need to get over where he was drafted. Maybe most fan don't remember the '06 season but Alex looked like he was well on his way to becoming a good QB. Go to NFL.com and search under "49ers videos" and look at some of the old footage from that '06 season. To me, Alex has never looked better(including this year) than he did under Norv Turner. He missed his fair share of throws that year but for a second year guy, there was alot to like. And considering the lack of talent on that team, its really even more impressive how good he looked. Everything was better. His footwork, his eyes, even that wind up delievery of his looked sped up and more efficent. Most importantly though, his vision of the field. He saw everything and took shots down the field, threw to the sidelines and he was deadly accurate throwing on the run. Its like that shoulder injury took something out of him football wise, that I have yet to see return.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 10-04-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:04 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Okay, maybe you need to clairfy what you mean by "dominate" because to me that means can you put the offense on your back and shred a great defenses. Flacco can't do that. He can put up good numbers but against elite teams, he is average. He relies on a good ground game, where he can play-action off of and throw in the middle of the field. He has shaky accuracy outside the hashes and when they have had to rely on his arm to win games, he has failed. That's not a dominate QB, IMO. If your talking about just having a good stat line, throwing for mutiple TDs, making a couple of good throws and a high QBR then sure, there's alot of QBs who have had games like those, including Alex. But just about half your list are QBs I consider "good". There are very few who can dominate a game, from the pocket, against good defenses. Rodgers, Eli, Brady, and Brees.....thats about it. Big Ben is as clutch as they come and I give him a ton of props for that alone but he's not a guy who can throw it 50 times a game and win without a stout running game to take some of the pressure off. Rivers should probably be included too. The rest are good-very good QBs. But to me a great QB can manipulate a defense, FROM THE POCKET, with his arm and move the chains and continue to put points on the board, when very little around them is functioning the way it should. Be it, O-Line, running game, defense, talent on the outside, etc. The ones I mention have done it, against top defenses, in the biggest games, year in and year out. Not for a few games here and there. That's my criteria.

As far as Alex, its not his fault he is who he is and its not his fault his was a #1 overall pick. Blame the coach and the GM who chose him. The fact anyone could watch what Alex did at Utah and saw a elite NFL QB is beyond me but I sure didn't. But I can't blame him because McCluess, Nolan, and McCarthy can't evaluate QBs. People need to get over where he was drafted. Maybe most fan don't remember the '06 season but Alex looked like he was well on his way to becoming a good QB. Go to NFL.com and search under "49ers videos" and look at some of the old footage from that '06 season. To me, Alex has never looked better(including this year) than he did under Norv Turner. He missed his fair share of throws that year but for a second year guy, there was alot to like. And considering the lack of talent on that team, its really even more impressive how good he looked. Everything was better. His footwork, his eyes, even that wind up delievery of his looked sped up and more efficent. Most importantly though, his vision of the field. He saw everything and took shots down the field, threw to the sidelines and he was deadly accurate throwing on the run. Its like that shoulder injury took something out of him football wise, that I have yet to see return.
I think it's pretty straightfoward. All of those guys have dominated at one point or another against good teams. Obviously a good amount of teamwork is involved, but those guys have made plays that win their team games instead of making plays that lose them. Or rather, they've gotten more than their fair share of the positive. And against good teams. And more than a ratio of 1 in seven years.

As for Flacco, did you see what he did to the Steelers defense? Sure he has a good running game and defense, but Joe Montana had a great supporting cast on and off the field as well. As did Steve Young. But we don't knock those guys down a notch because of it.

As for Alex and where he was taken, yes it isn't his fault he was taken in the 1st round when he should have been taken in the 3rd. And we should have selected Aaron Rodgers instead. At the same time though his draft status has kept him here for more than six years.

Quote:
Old 10-04-2011, 05:55 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I think it's pretty straightfoward. All of those guys have dominated at one point or another against good teams. Obviously a good amount of teamwork is involved, but those guys have made plays that win their team games instead of making plays that lose them. Or rather, they've gotten more than their fair share of the positive. And against good teams. And more than a ratio of 1 in seven years.

As for Flacco, did you see what he did to the Steelers defense? Sure he has a good running game and defense, but Joe Montana had a great supporting cast on and off the field as well. As did Steve Young. But we don't knock those guys down a notch because of it.

As for Alex and where he was taken, yes it isn't his fault he was taken in the 1st round when he should have been taken in the 3rd. And we should have selected Aaron Rodgers instead. At the same time though his draft status has kept him here for more than six years.
For you to even metion Flacco in the same breath as Young and Montana is blashemphy. Montana made magic when our backs were against the wall too many times to count, on the biggest stage. Never had a potent run game which to rely on, as his arm was our running game, more times than not. What has Flaaco done? He beats the Steelers in week 1 of the regular season.....whoppdy doo. What happens every time he sees them in the playoffs? Their running game stalls and he's called upon to make plays with his arm and he can't. He can't stand tall in the pocket, under the pressue of the blitz so they're offense crumbles and he fails short. You put Flaacco on that Packers team and you think they beat the Steelers in the Super Bowl? You think he makes clutch throws on 3rd down, REPEATEDLY and with pinpoint accuracy? Of course not....because he couldn't do it just 2 weeks prior. And Im not saying this because I think Flaaco is a awful QB because he's not. He's a good QB. Frank Reich, Elvis Erbac, Neil O'Donnell, Trent Green, Bernie Kosar good. Not Montana, Young kind of good no, not even for a second. And not yet, anyways....
Old 10-05-2011, 01:05 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
For you to even metion Flacco in the same breath as Young and Montana is blashemphy. Montana made magic when our backs were against the wall too many times to count, on the biggest stage. Never had a potent run game which to rely on, as his arm was our running game, more times than not. What has Flaaco done? He beats the Steelers in week 1 of the regular season.....whoppdy doo. What happens every time he sees them in the playoffs? Their running game stalls and he's called upon to make plays with his arm and he can't. He can't stand tall in the pocket, under the pressue of the blitz so they're offense crumbles and he fails short. You put Flaacco on that Packers team and you think they beat the Steelers in the Super Bowl? You think he makes clutch throws on 3rd down, REPEATEDLY and with pinpoint accuracy? Of course not....because he couldn't do it just 2 weeks prior. And Im not saying this because I think Flaaco is a awful QB because he's not. He's a good QB. Frank Reich, Elvis Erbac, Neil O'Donnell, Trent Green, Bernie Kosar good. Not Montana, Young kind of good no, not even for a second. And not yet, anyways....
I think you missed the point. Montana and Young are obviously better, and I wasn't comparing Flacco to them, or rather I wasn't saying he was on their level, but I am saying that he does have the moxie to make big plays consistently and has proved it. Just because he hasn't gotten to the big dance in the playoffs yet doesn't really mean much if that is what you are getting at. The last time he was in the playoffs it was Ray Rice and his stupid receivers dropping passes that did them in, not Flacco. He's definitely better than the likes of Reich, O'Donnell, or Grbac.

Oh and Montana did have a decent to very good running game at various points in his career. Bill Walsh did like to pass the rock early on in his tenure sometimes. But guys like Roger Craig, Wyndell Tyler, and Tom Rathman provided more than enough grit to get the job done. He didn't have a Hall of Fame back (arguably Craig) getting 1,000 yards season after season, but that doesn't mean the 49ers couldn't run the football. Their passing game was better, so obviously that was going to be emphasized. But it wasn't better because their rushing game was awful.

Quote:
Old 10-05-2011, 01:35 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I think you missed the point. Montana and Young are obviously better, and I wasn't comparing Flacco to them, or rather I wasn't saying he was on their level, but I am saying that he does have the moxie to make big plays consistently and has proved it. Just because he hasn't gotten to the big dance in the playoffs yet doesn't really mean much if that is what you are getting at. The last time he was in the playoffs it was Ray Rice and his stupid receivers dropping passes that did them in, not Flacco. He's definitely better than the likes of Reich, O'Donnell, or Grbac.

Oh and Montana did have a decent to very good running game at various points in his career. Bill Walsh did like to pass the rock early on in his tenure sometimes. But guys like Roger Craig, Wyndell Tyler, and Tom Rathman provided more than enough grit to get the job done. He didn't have a Hall of Fame back (arguably Craig) getting 1,000 yards season after season, but that doesn't mean the 49ers couldn't run the football. Their passing game was better, so obviously that was going to be emphasized. But it wasn't better because their rushing game was awful.
Short passing was our run game for many years. That's what i meant when I said we relied on his arm in those instances. Our running game, even at its peak never really struck fear in defenses. It was Montana and the passing game that kept DC's awake at night. Not to say we were one-dimentional but we knew the ball in Joe's hands was our best bet. That's not a slight to our running game or those players but facts are facts. We were a pass-first team......60/40 run ratio if I recall the stats correctly, for most of Walsh's tenure after he's first Super Bowl victory over the Bengals.

As far as Flacco you have your opinion and I have mine. He's good QB but no DC is up all night figuring out how to slow down Joe Flacco. He's not there yet. Im not sure if he ever will. And it has nothing to do with post-season success. I used the big stage because when your in the playoffs, your usually going against the best teams, best defenses so your weakness are magnified. You can't put those losses on his RB and drop passes. There were instances where he also under-threw, over-threw open WRs, held the ball too long against a formidable pass-rush and didnt make the right reads. He's on a team where the running the rock and ball-control is their main objective. They couldn't survive putting the ball in Flacco's hand and having him throw the ball 50 times. Their best offensive player is Ray Rice, not Joe Flacco. And he has the benefit of playing on a team with a defense that creates turnovers and gives him some short-fields to work with so life isn't all bad there in the Charm City. Like I said, insert any of those elite QBs I mentioned into those Raven teams and they do more with the same talent, IMO. He's good....but I see nothing special or elite when I watch him play.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 10-05-2011 at 01:41 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:43 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Short passing was our run game for many years. That's what i meant when I said we relied on his arm in those instances. Our running game, even at its peak never really struck fear in defenses. It was Montana and the passing game that kept DC's awake at night. Not to say we were one-dimentional but we knew the ball in Joe's hands was our best bet. That's not a slight to our running game or those players but facts are facts. We were a pass-first team......60/40 run ratio if I recall the stats correctly, for most of Walsh's tenure after he's first Super Bowl victory over the Bengals.
Even if the 49ers had Eric Dickerson or Billy Sims, they'd probably still pass the ball a good amount of the time because that is what Walsh and his offense did. It's what he did in Cincinnati, and it's what he did with the 49ers. The 49ers relied on the arm of Montana because that is the nature of the offense. At least at that place in time. Wouldn't matter if it was Matt Cavanaugh in there. They would rely on his arm because the 49ers passed the ball the majority of the time.

Quote:
As far as Flacco you have your opinion and I have mine. He's good QB but no DC is up all night figuring out how to slow down Joe Flacco. He's not there yet. Im not sure if he ever will. And it has nothing to do with post-season success. I used the big stage because when your in the playoffs, your usually going against the best teams, best defenses so your weakness are magnified. You can't put those losses on his RB and drop passes. There were instances where he also under-threw, over-threw open WRs, held the ball too long against a formidable pass-rush and didnt make the right reads. He's on a team where the running the rock and ball-control is their main objective. They couldn't survive putting the ball in Flacco's hand and having him throw the ball 50 times. Their best offensive player is Ray Rice, not Joe Flacco. And he has the benefit of playing on a team with a defense that creates turnovers and gives him some short-fields to work with so life isn't all bad there in the Charm City. Like I said, insert any of those elite QBs I mentioned into those Raven teams and they do more with the same talent, IMO. He's good....but I see nothing special or elite when I watch him play.
And you take Flacco off the Ravens and replace him with an average starter then all of a sudden the receivers aren't making big plays as consistently and Rice is being neutralized because defenses are constantly stacking eight men in the box. And the Ravens are searching for another quarterback another ten seasons. Last season's playoff loss was not on Flacco. He played a great defense on the road and played pretty well. The fumble by Rice and the receivers dropping passes when the ball hit them in the numbers is what did them in. I don't know what Flacco is to do when his receivers keep dropping passes. Ray Rice may be a better player than Flacco is a quarterback, but Flacco is way more important to the franchise and it's not even close.

Quote:
Old 10-05-2011, 03:49 AM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

IMO , the Ravens would still be good without Flacco, similar to the Jets..they don't really hinge on QB play...Sanchez is terrible.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:06 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
IMO , the Ravens would still be good without Flacco, similar to the Jets..they don't really hinge on QB play...Sanchez is terrible.
Let's get real here. The Ravens had never had a streak making the playoffs like this without a good quarterback. In today's game you need a good starter if you want to get somewhere year in and year out. Dominant defenses are hard to keep together in this day and age, not to mention they are having more and more disadvantages thrown at them every other year with the rule changes and what not. Before Flacco they had never made the playoffs three years in a row. And they are poised for their fourth straight trip to the playoffs since Flacco's arrival. That's not a coincidence.

Quote:
Old 10-05-2011, 12:11 PM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

Quote:
Let's get real here. The Ravens had never had a streak making the playoffs like this without a good quarterback. In today's game you need a good starter if you want to get somewhere year in and year out. Dominant defenses are hard to keep together in this day and age, not to mention they are having more and more disadvantages thrown at them every other year with the rule changes and what not. Before Flacco they had never made the playoffs three years in a row. And they are poised for their fourth straight trip to the playoffs since Flacco's arrival. That's not a coincidence.
how do you explain Sanchez then? he sucks. Even without Flacco, I'm pretty sure they still had a winning record, it's not like they became an average team.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:50 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
That's my point. You insert any average/good QB into that line-up and its the same result. Cassel, Orton, Cutler, Hasselback, Sanchez....they could all give you what Flacco does. That's not elite in my eyes. Just because he's better than what they had previously(Boller) doesn't make him some kind of franchise savior. A good QB can turn a marginal team into a contender. That's been proven at length. That doesn't neccesarily mean can stand toe-to-toe, throw for throw with the elite guys. Of course Flacco makes them better than they were....look at what they had. When you improve your talent at a key position that was previously underwhelming, you should be better. That goes without saying really....
Closed Thread