Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 10-26-2011, 09:12 AM    (permalink
ToldLikeItIs
Pro Bowler

ToldLikeItIs ToldLikeItIs ToldLikeItIs ToldLikeItIs ToldLikeItIs
Default Marvin McNutt, WR, Iowa

Thoughts on this man beast?

Are we looking at a potential first rounder here?
ToldLikeItIs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:21 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For the CFL, maybe.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:49 AM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToldLikeItIs View Post
Thoughts on this man beast?

Are we looking at a potential first rounder here?
Lol, he won't go in the first...

Didn't you say DJK was a first rounder?

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:34 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Come on man...

First, do you realize how ridiculous this WR class could be? There are much better prospects than McNutt that are/should come out.

Second, I looked it up a little while ago and in like the last 5 years, the most ever WRs in round 1 was 6. McNutt is not the 6th best WR.

Look, I love McNutt, and he's a fantastic college WR. The fact that he's only played WR for 3 years and this is where he is at is very impressive. That said, he doesn't have great speed, his athleticism and strength leave a lot to be desired (athleticism in terms of jump out of the gym, like Megatron, AJ Green, etc.), and lastly he doesn't really get great separation.

McNutt is a solid fundamentals type WR. He runs really good routes, has big, soft hands that he uses to go out and catch balls rather than letting them come to his body, he is a fairly good blocker, has a great understanding of the game, and has very good coordination.

Depending on his workouts, he's probably looking at somewhere in the mid-rounds, maybe up to the 3rd if he's lucky. He's a much better prospect than DJK, but no where near 1st round potential.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:31 PM    (permalink
ToldLikeItIs
Pro Bowler

Never once said DJK was a first rounder. I said he was an NFL WR, and underrated in Scott's rankings, and he was, until he sold coke to half of Iowa city.

Better WR's than Marvin in this draft class are Jeffrey, Blackmon, Floyd, and who else? Jeff Fuller?

He's one of three WR's in college football to score 8 or more TD's in each of the last three years.

He's at worst a late 2nd rounder right now, with a shot of hitting the first round.

Tell me why not, go ahead.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:34 AM    (permalink
ToldLikeItIs
Pro Bowler

Update on Marvin McNutt:

74 Receptions
1240 yards
12 TD's
17 yards per catch

8 100 yard games, 5 in a row

Big matchup against Dennard this week.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:00 AM    (permalink
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love McNutt and he's certainly helped his draft stock this season. It will be interesting to see how he works out and performs in any all star games. I'm curious to see how much stock teams put in to his production, vs. if he doesn't necessarily test the best in like the 40.

I still think unless he comes out and destroys other WRs in all star games and the combine, his best case would be mid to late 2nd round. I think right now though he's a solid 3rd round guy.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 11-23-2011, 11:12 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hmmm this thread gives me ideas.

I'm create a homer thread for Temple prospects now.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:32 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Would not be surprised and in fact I sort of expect McNutt to have a better pro career than Jeffrey.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:47 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

So, I'm really really terrible at making comparisons to current/recent players so I usually try to refrain, but I was thinking about a comparison for McNutt.

Muhsin Muhammad.

Biggish WR with very good hands. Doesn't have elite speed or athleticism. Probably will never be a sure fire #1 WR, but can be a borderline #1 guy on a team with no real receiving threats (Moose on the Bears), but mostly just a great possession WR.

I'm not sure what Moose was like coming out of MSU, but for some reason I just keep picturing him when thinking about McNutt's NFL career. Am I way off base with this?

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 11-23-2011, 03:37 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
So, I'm really really terrible at making comparisons to current/recent players so I usually try to refrain, but I was thinking about a comparison for McNutt.

Muhsin Muhammad.

Biggish WR with very good hands. Doesn't have elite speed or athleticism. Probably will never be a sure fire #1 WR, but can be a borderline #1 guy on a team with no real receiving threats (Moose on the Bears), but mostly just a great possession WR.

I'm not sure what Moose was like coming out of MSU, but for some reason I just keep picturing him when thinking about McNutt's NFL career. Am I way off base with this?
I can definitely see that.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:44 PM    (permalink
JeffSamardzijaIRISH
Pro Bowler

JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think McNutt is more explosive than Muhammed. While certainly not a burner, he's a true deep threat that Muhammed never was.
Old 11-24-2011, 02:57 AM    (permalink
ToldLikeItIs
Pro Bowler

Herman Moore, or Keyshawn Johnson, are the two comparisons I see.

Treat, you're going back on your word with McNutt. The fact of the matter is he's a top 5 WR in this class and I've been saying it for about a year.

Don't jump on the bandwagon now :)
Old 11-24-2011, 06:04 AM    (permalink
TaylorMade
Rookie

TaylorMade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TaylorMade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TaylorMade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TaylorMade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TaylorMade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TaylorMade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TaylorMade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TaylorMade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TaylorMade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TaylorMade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TaylorMade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eh, I think he's an UDFA. Reminds me of Malcolm Kelly.

Redskins: 4 time offseason Champions, '00, '04, '06, '09
TaylorMade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:52 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorMade View Post
His production and durability makes him light years ahead of Malcolm Kelly as an NFL prospect.

It will come down to his 40 time, but I don't think there's any chance McNutt goes undrafted.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:46 AM    (permalink
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

Quote:

Treat, you're going back on your word with McNutt. The fact of the matter is he's a top 5 WR in this class and I've been saying it for about a year.

Yea, no I'm not. I contested you saying he's a 1st rounder, which I still don't think he is. I said he would be a 3rd rounder, which I still do, but his season has helped a lot and might push him to the 2nd. I haven't changed my stance on him at all. I even said I loved McNutt and he's a fantastic college WR. How am I jumping on the bandwagon now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorMade View Post
This is a moronic statement. You just shouldn't post anymore.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 11-24-2011, 12:04 PM    (permalink
regoob2
All-Pro

regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

If those are your comparisons shouldnt he be your #1 rated WR and a top 10 pick?

regoob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:01 PM    (permalink
herkyhawkeye
Rookie

herkyhawkeye is a cocksman.herkyhawkeye is a cocksman.herkyhawkeye is a cocksman.

As much of a homer as Told is, i think hes getting a bit of a hard time on this. Iowa isnt much of a team to watch this year. Very inconsistent team so I can see why there is a lot of disagreement with McNutt but hes going to be a very intriguing prospect.

The guy has huge hands that are soft
Hes 6'4 220 lbs.
He runs great routes.
Very versatile receiver. Can play all over the field.

His athleticism is greatly underrated. He came in as a QB and has played the WR position for 3 years now. His 40 has greatly improved and he is deceptively fast. People talk about his speed but he seems to have a knack to get behind the defense on a regular basis and he breaks a big one every game. Hes on pace for 1500 yards and 15 TDs for a season at Iowa. Iowa has had 1 WR in history thats gone over 1000 yards in a season and that guy had 1002 yards. Iowa isnt a passing offense like Arkansas or a OSU. His numbers are very impressive when you look at this aspect.

His best asset is the guy is very humble. Star receivers are big personalities. McNutt is a team oriented guy. With his intangibles, he looks like a very intriguing prospect. He should be a 2nd rounder. The idea of him being an UDFA is laughable.
herkyhawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:45 PM    (permalink
PossibleCabbage
Pro Bowler

PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

McNutt is a good player, but he's a day 2 pick assuming he runs well. Doesn't mean he won't be a good NFL player, a lot of great WRs were drafted in the second round or later; I honestly think that the quality of this WR class as a whole is going to cause second tier guys to fall a little bit.

He honestly seems like the sort of guy the Packers like to target in rounds 2 and 3 (Since Ted Thompson took over that job, he has drafted Terrence Murphy, Greg Jennings, James Jones, Jordy Nelson, and Randall Cobb in the 2nd or 3rd round.) I don't know if they have room for another receiver though.

Last edited by PossibleCabbage : 11-24-2011 at 11:47 PM.
PossibleCabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:02 AM    (permalink
PVonDy85
Rookie

PVonDy85 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Alphonzo Dennard completely shut him down on Friday. He had four catches for 29 yards and 26 of those came on one meaningless catch with a few minutes left in the game.
PVonDy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:03 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hehe..........

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:46 AM    (permalink
PossibleCabbage
Pro Bowler

PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Hehe..........
There are a ridiculous number of WRs I like still on the board. There had better be a run on them in the fourth.
PossibleCabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:56 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

McNutt went to Iowa which means he's a lock to be a Chief.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote