Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 11-09-2011, 05:39 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Yeah, because they've been in Conference USA and the Big East. Ole Miss isn't an elite spot, but it's certainly better than going to a football program that isn't even guaranteed a BCS spot in two years.
That's speculative, not definite. All I'm trying to say is that Ole Miss is in a precarious situation that would make it unattractive to high-profile candidates because they're about to lose their A.D. and are second tier now in the state to Mississippi St and in the SEC to every other SEC West team

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:15 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not sure Manny Diaz really counts as that type of high-profile candidate. No more than Charlie Strong or Dan Mullen.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:34 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My top 5 guys I want PSU to consider are:

1) Urban Meyer
2) Mike London
3) Al Golden
4) Kevin Sumlin
5) Tom Bradley

Edit: Forgot Dan Mullen. He'd be up there too. Possibly number 2.

Last edited by Hines : 11-11-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Hines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:46 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines View Post
My top 5 guys I want PSU to consider are:

1) Urban Meyer
2) Mike London
3) Al Golden
4) Kevin Sumlin
5) Tom Bradley

Edit: Forgot Dan Mullen. He'd be up there too. Possibly number 2.
I think Greg Schiano, Mike Belotti, and Butch Jones should be considered as well

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 11-11-2011, 09:52 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
I think Greg Schiano, Mike Belotti, and Butch Jones should be considered as well
I wouldn't mind Kirby Smart as well to be considered.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:38 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

New Mexico reportedly has hired former Minnesota and Kansas coach Glen Mason as its new head coach.

An interesting hire. Mason is 61, so a little on the older side for a rebuilding job, but he had a career .500 record at Kansas and Minnesota, which aren't exactly the easiest places to win.

I still think New Mexico is a bit of a diamond in the rough. Albuquerque is a decent-sized city, and UNM is the biggest game in town.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:46 AM    (permalink
T-RICH49
All-NFLDC

T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

names that are being rumored to replace Turner Gill(cause he's as much of a goner as you can get)

1. Mike Leach
2. Larry Fedora
3. Manny Diaz

appearantly the KU donors are sick of Gill and will spend big bucks on a new HC
Old 11-15-2011, 11:57 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Any idea what Gill's buyout is? I ask because he's only coached two seasons, so I'm guessing that they are going to have to spend a few million just to fire him.

For that reason, I don't think he's a goner for sure.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:08 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

My prediction of people to get poop-canned (I've been right on Stoops and Toledo so far).

1) Neil Callaway (UAB)- was an odd hire to begin with and in four years he's 5-17. They'll replace him with someone else who won't win at UAB.

2) Paul Wulff (Washington State)- beating ASU was nice, but a 4-30 record in the Pac 12 won't cut it, even at WSU.

3) Rob Ianello (Akron)- 2-20 in his first two seasons. They didn't build a new stadium for this.

4) Everett Withers/Luke Fickell/Tom Bradley- if they even count

5) Dan Enos (Central Michigan)- he's only been there two years, so he may get another year, but it's been an awful two years by their standards.

6) Turner Gill (Kansas)- Not a done deal, like I said, but Kansas is a total tire fire right now, and he clearly looks like he's in over his head.

7) Rick Neuheisel (UCLA)- they are better this year, but they fired Karl Dorrell for doing MUCH better. UCLA needs to decide if they want to be a competitive football program or not. Their actions indicate they don't.

8) Steve Fairchild (Colorado State)- CSU sucks.

9) Dave Clawson (Bowling Green)- program has been on the decline since he came on.

Will get one more year:
-Mike Sherman (A&M)
-Mike Riley (Oregon State)
-Frank Spaziani (Boston College)
-Larry Porter (Memphis)
-Bobby Hauck (UNLV)
-Mike MacIntyre (San Jose State)
-Joker Phillips (Kentucky)
-Derek Dooley (Tennessee)
-Ron Zook (Illinois)

Last edited by bearsfan_51 : 11-15-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:14 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Turner Gill is due a $6 million buyout if he's canned this year
http://sportsbybrooks.com/tag/Turner_Gill_Buyout
(last paragraph)

One coach I think could get the boot after this year is Mike Sherman. He's 24-24 in four years at Texas A&M and can't finish games. With the Aggies moving to the SEC next season I could see them making a coaching change to do so.

Also, with the season he's having I could see Tommy Tuberville being shown the door. Hell, he got the dreaded vote of confidence from the AD
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...56338/33311165

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by diabsoule : 11-15-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:17 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Yeah, not going to happen then. Thanks.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:52 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rumors running wild in the Illini fanbase that the board of trustees has met and discussed possible coaching candidates if they were to fire Zook, and that Zook might all but be out.

This would be a sad, sad day for the rest of the Big Ten. I think Iowa has only faced the Zooker twice since he's been there. :(

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:08 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Illini fanbase has thought Zook was gone for years. Zook's buyout is 2.8 million, so not toooooo steep and he did storm out of a press conference today.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:16 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Illini fanbase has thought Zook was gone for years. Zook's buyout is 2.8 million, so not toooooo steep and he did storm out of a press conference today.
Yea, I think he's losing it. The question wasn't even bad or out of place. Guy just asked (paraphrasing) how he keeps his players focused, and what to say, when his future with the team is brought up.

I actually am fearful of who Illinois would hire as the next coach. If they get someone with at least half a brain, they should be able to compete for the leaders division most years. There's no reason for them to be as terrible as they have been.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 11-15-2011, 02:24 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

I dunno. Illinois has been absolutely awful for years.

They try to market themselves as being able to recruit Chicago and St. Louis, but the truth is that Urbana is just as much in the middle of nowhere as Iowa City and Lafayette are.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:50 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
I dunno. Illinois has been absolutely awful for years.

They try to market themselves as being able to recruit Chicago and St. Louis, but the truth is that Urbana is just as much in the middle of nowhere as Iowa City and Lafayette are.
Right, they should really have no reason not to be at least as good as Iowa. They should be able to establish at least a solid base for recruiting in Illinois. I'm not saying they should or would be able to get all the top Illinois prospects, but Illinois has enough talent that they should be able to have legitimate shots with at least half of the top 20-30 kids in the state.

Plus Zook has shown they can get some talent in from other states. If he was even a halfway decent coach, years like this would be much more of "down years" or at least closer to normal than 4 and 5 win seasons.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 11-15-2011, 03:11 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Iowa would be terrible if it wasn't for Kirk Ferentz, which is a discussion I have with Iowa fans frequently.

Most of those recruits came to Illinois because of Zook. The campus itself is a dump. Illinois is probably a better job than Purdue or Indiana, but just barely.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:25 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
Iowa would be terrible if it wasn't for Kirk Ferentz, which is a discussion I have with Iowa fans frequently.
I'm sure you've had this discussion, but try telling that to Iowa fans that insist Ferentz should be fired after years like this year. "He makes over 3 million dollars to finish with 7-8 wins, he needs to be winning the Big Ten." Yea, we overpay him, and I have no problem with it. How else do you expect a quality coach to stay in Iowa? Do I get frustrated as hell some games? (like Minnesota 2010 and 2011, or him saying "We weren't prepared," vs. MSU last week) Absolutely. But the fans who think we will fire Ferentz and get Bob Stoops are hilarious.

Overall, I pretty much hate Iowa fans on a general basis.

Quote:
Most of those recruits came to Illinois because of Zook.
This is true and I didn't really consider this. But I'm guessing they could still get a guy that's a half decent recruiter to bring in some talent. Maybe not as much as they do now, but some.

Quote:
The campus itself is a dump. Illinois is probably a better job than Purdue or Indiana, but just barely.
You're preaching to the choir my man, preaching to the choir...

I loathe everything about that campus. It might be the worst in the Big Ten (not a big fan of Purdue's and haven't been to Evanston since I was like 7). Plus, Illinois tries to pretend like they are some elite academic institution, that holds it's athletes to a higher standard and will use that excuse when they don't get guys or play kids with average talent.

They need to accept who they are, which is a typical Big Ten school like the rest of us that while probably have higher academic standards for normal students than say Iowa, we're all pretty much on the same ground when it comes to academics for athletes with the exception of jNW.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 11-16-2011, 11:41 AM    (permalink
Complex
All-Pro

Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It sounds like such a ridiculous proposition that no one would even need to deny it. But Peyton Manning has put out word, through his father, that he will not be the next head football coach at the University of Mississippi.

“I’ve gotten about 20 or 25 e-mails from people in that regard,” Archie Manning said, via the Memphis Commercial Appeal. “I passed that on to Peyton. He said, ‘Just tell them that I’m 0-10 as an assistant for Indianapolis.’
haha funny
Old 11-16-2011, 12:48 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

According to Joe Schad, New Mexico has hired former Notre Dame head coach and ESPN announcer Bob Davie as its next head coach

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 11-16-2011, 02:31 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Yeah, Mason said that he told them he didn't want the job (who knows), either way, looks like New Mexico wanted the retread route.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:37 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Ronnie Sanders of AuburnUndercover.com reports that Gus Malzahn is expected to be the next HC at North Carolina.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 11-16-2011, 06:31 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

The rumors are heating up that Southern Miss head coach Larry Fedora will be the next head coach at Ole Miss

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 11-16-2011, 06:37 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Ronnie Sanders of AuburnUndercover.com reports that Gus Malzahn is expected to be the next HC at North Carolina.
Very interesting, I would think there would be higher profile jobs that Malzahn would go for before NC. I just see him being a big 12 guy, but maybe its just the style of offense he teaches....they all seem to be running it in the Big 12.

Quote:
The rumors are heating up that Southern Miss head coach Larry Fedora will be the next head coach at Ole Miss
Idk if I like that move for him. I like him a lot as a coach and think hes kinda jumpin the gun if he takes this job. Why settle for Ole Miss right now? Wait another year or 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:47 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex View Post
haha funny
He's waiting for the UT offer.