Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:35 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

3 first rounders would be great, but I would rather have Samuel and 2 first rounders. I have a feeling we would ask for a lot more than 1 first rounder, whether or not that is justified is debatable.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:55 PM    (permalink
dcarey20
Pro Bowler

dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.

i'd give the ravens 1st rounder for asante samuel if we had the cap room to sign him to a long term deal.

Last edited by dcarey20 : 04-05-2007 at 08:57 PM.
dcarey20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:49 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogstomp View Post
I'm assuming you meant 10 times the corner... because, if you didn't, you're going to look like a jackass real soon.
I think he was talking about what the Pats were asking for Branch and was wondering what they would ask for Samuel.
nrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:00 PM    (permalink
frogstomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrk View Post
I think he was talking about what the Pats were asking for Branch and was wondering what they would ask for Samuel.
No, he's definitely talking about the players in this draft... I just hope that he doesn't think that Samuel is better than Calvin Johnson projects to be.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:26 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

I'm pretty sure he was talking about the corners...
Old 04-05-2007, 10:38 PM    (permalink
rickscott
Veteran

rickscott hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Bly just signed a 5 yr deal with Denver, he's smiling now......
rickscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 12:12 AM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogstomp View Post
No, he's definitely talking about the players in this draft... I just hope that he doesn't think that Samuel is better than Calvin Johnson projects to be.
Oh my bad, I thought you were talking about that he called Samuel a reciever. I must say though, I agree with you on this one haha.
nrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 12:39 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

http://washingtontimes.com/sports/20...4136-1222r.htm

I wouldn't be opposed to something that looked like:

Carlos Rogers or Shawn Springs + #6

for

Asante Samuel and #24 or 28

The likely of the options would be Springs and the 24, though I think I would personally prefer the opposite on both...
Old 04-06-2007, 03:17 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I will say this: dealing for Samuel makes more sense than dealing for Briggs for the Redskins. I am somewhat concerned as to how good a fit Asante Samuel is relative to how Gregg's used corners before, but Gregg is flexible. That said, I'm not gung ho, from the Redskins perspective, about dealing for Asante.

There's no way I see the Skins dealing Rogers in a deal. Springs is much more available, and has been rumored in multiple scenarios this offseason (including scenarios to help them move up).
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 03:21 PM    (permalink
frisby213
Rookie

frisby213 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default God, will they ever quit???

Quote:
He came up empty on trading for Dre Bly. He came up empty -- as of now -- on trading for Lance Briggs. But don't expect Redskins owner Dan Snyder to stop his pursuit of making a big move before this month's NFL Draft.
The latest possible target: New England cornerback Asante Samuel.

Samuel, who had 12 interceptions last season, is like Briggs in that he is young (26) and disgruntled (wants a long-term deal). Like Briggs, Samuels has been named his team's franchise player.
In his first public comments since being taken off the market, Samuel told the NFL Network: "This is to let everybody know that I'm not happy anymore and things are not going well. At first I thought it was going well, but it's not.
"We have a difference of opinion in my value. They think I'm worth one price and the other teams think I'm worth a lot more. If a long-term deal can't be done at fair numbers for me and New England, then I want to be traded."
Samuel also claimed he is prepared to sit out all or a portion of the season.
"If it's best for me and my family," he said, "I will do that. Absolutely."
Signing Samuel to an offer sheet would cost any team two first-round draft picks if New England doesn't match. The Pats already have two first-round picks this year -- their own and Seattle's, acquired in the Deion Branch deal.
Enter the Redskins.
If the Patriots take their call, the Redskins could offer an intriguing package for Samuel. Any discussion would have to start with Shawn Springs, the sixth overall pick and likely a mid-round pick. And then the Redskins could give Samuel a giant contract that
would further complicate the Redskins' salary cap issues.
The franchise salary for a cornerback in 2007 is $7.79 million. It will be interesting to see what the Patriots do. They played hard-ball with Branch last year and when he refused to report to training camp, he was traded to Seattle. But elite cornerbacks are harder to replace than good receivers.
My guess is that this was just a frustrated player popping off. He later said in the NFL Network story, "We want to get something done and my hope is we will." Although the Redskins will kick the tires, I don't think New England will trade Samuel.
taken from:
http://washingtontimes.com/blogs/sto...TopicsID=skins

Snyder will not stop until that franchise is destroyed by a complete roster of over-paid known-names with fat contracts. I feel bad for all you 'Skins fans. Plus, crap...if the Patriots walk out of this with not only their 24th and 28th picks, but the 6th pick too.....

Last edited by frisby213 : 04-06-2007 at 03:52 PM.
frisby213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 03:25 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

The Washington Post suggests that it would be the #6, Springs and a late round pick for Samuel alone. If that's the case, what are we waiting for?
Old 04-06-2007, 03:29 PM    (permalink
frisby213
Rookie

Another take:

Quote:
POSTED 12:57 p.m. EDT, April 6, 2007

'SKINS TO MAKE A PLAY FOR SAMUEL?

Dan Snyder of the Washington Redskins can't help himself. Every offseason, he is compelled to make a big splash, in some way.

He didn't do it in free agency this year, for a change. So with a top-ten pick burning a hole in his draft board and Bears linebacker Lance Briggs (whom the 'Skins don't really need) not available via a flip-flip of first round picks, Snyder apparently will sniff around Pats cornerback Asante Samuel (whom the 'Skins don't really need).

Ryan O'Halloran of the Washington Times reports that the Redskins are expected to call the Patriots regarding Samuel, a free agent who has been slapped with the franchise tag.

The Redskins currently have cornerbacks Shawn Springs, Carlos Rogers, Fred Smoot, and David Macklin under contract. Even if they trade or cut Springs, they don't need Samuel.

But Snyder can't help himself. He collects big-name players like Florio Jr. hoards McFarlane NFL figures, without regard to the manner in which his collection will interact on the field or in the locker room.

In hindsight, then, the decision of Samuel to recently go public with his dissatisfaction might have been a stroke of genius. With the Bears telling the Redskins that a flip-flop of first-round picks won't happen, the 'Skins need to find someone else to take the sixth overall pick off of their hands. And Samuel's comments apparently have caught Snyder's ear.

So for the No. 28 pick and Samuel, the Pats possibly could have the No. 6 overall pick. Heck, maybe they can also get the 'Skins to throw in Springs.

The question, then, is whether the Pats even want the No. 6 pick. If they do, the next question is whether the Patriots would try to package the No. 6 selection with the No. 24 pick (which they got from the Seahawks for Deion Branch) in an effort to move up to get once-in-a-generation receiver Calvin Johnson.
taken from:
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm
Old 04-06-2007, 03:30 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is already in the Asante Samuel thread.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 03:38 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

I'm all for it. According to that we would get Springs and the #6 straight up for Asante. I am all for it. Let's get it done. We can take Patrick Willis at #6, hope for Griffen, Nelson or Meriweather at #24 and maybe Aaron Ross at #28. Springs may not be as good as Samuel, but he is certainly an above average corner, and Hobbs has been solid and is getting better, and then we'd be adding Ross.

It's still a pipe dream at this point, so we'll see...
Old 04-06-2007, 03:40 PM    (permalink
remix 6
Pro Bowler

remix 6 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I'm all for it. According to that we would get Springs and the #6 straight up for Asante. I am all for it. Let's get it done. We can take Patrick Willis at #6, hope for Griffen, Nelson or Meriweather at #24 and maybe Aaron Ross at #28. Springs may not be as good as Samuel, but he is certainly an above average corner, and Hobbs has been solid and is getting better, and then we'd be adding Ross.

It's still a pipe dream at this point, so we'll see...
if we trade Asante it will never be for pick 6 and Springs..

it would be

Samuel + 24 or 28 for Pick 6 and Springs
remix 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 03:41 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That #6 pick is just burning a hole in Snyder's pocket. He is just itching to get rid of it.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 03:45 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm am much more in favor of this trade, than I ever was towards the Lance Briggs deal.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 03:45 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by remix 6 View Post
if we trade Asante it will never be for pick 6 and Springs..

it would be

Samuel + 24 or 28 for Pick 6 and Springs
That's what I would think, I am just going by the article.

Even if that's the case, I will take a combination of Shawn Springs and Patrick Willis or Laron Landry at #6 over Asante Samuel and whoever we get at #28 any day of the week...
Old 04-06-2007, 03:50 PM    (permalink
frisby213
Rookie

Being a Colts fan, the idea of the Pats moving up and getting CJ....

Let's just say I'd rather not talk about that.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:50 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would hesitate on that deal. Shawn Springs was a really good corner in his day, but that day is passing him over real fast. We need some kind of return other than picks for Samuel, unless it's a ridiculous deal. Still, brining Springs here reminds me way to much of brining Duane Starks in. Good enough history to expect him to contribute...but has age working against him. And while I love Ellis Hobbs...I'm just not confident in him shutting down a teams best receiver as I am with Samuel. Still...I would do it...I would think very hard before letting him go. If we can get Carlos Rogers, which I don't think we could, I would pull the trigger without thinking twice.
For those who look at Asante's numbers, don't just think of him as an interception guy. He is a legitimate top 10 corner, and is probably in the top 5 or 6. Very good cover guy, good in run support, and while defensive players aren't known for being big play guys...in key situations Asante always seemed to break it up or pick it off. Sad to see him go if we can't work something out. It was really fun to watch mature into the player he is.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 03:53 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Duane Starks wasn't even close to being what Shawn Springs is now when he came over. I thought that was a bad deal from the get-go.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:04 PM    (permalink
JCutlery
Veteran

JCutlery hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I really think that there is no possible way that the Skins are that dumb.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:13 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCutlery View Post
I really think that there is no possible way that the Skins are that dumb.
Are we talking about the same Skins here?
Old 04-06-2007, 04:17 PM    (permalink
Kanuck

I doubt the skins would deal for Samuel, fact is any time a player demands a trade the skins automatically come up as a possible destination.

While it is a well known fact that the skins are trying to trade out of the 6th spot, IMO, the Briggs trade would make more sense.

The Times is also the least connected of the DC papers.

Last edited by Kanuck : 04-06-2007 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:18 PM    (permalink
flave1969
Rookie

flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisby213 View Post
taken from:
http://washingtontimes.com/blogs/sto...TopicsID=skins

Snyder will not stop until that franchise is destroyed by a complete roster of over-paid known-names with fat contracts. I feel bad for all you 'Skins fans. Plus, crap...if the Patriots walk out of this with not only their 24th and 28th picks, but the 6th pick too.....

Will people like you ever stop? Where is the quoted source? Where is the sentence saying the Redskins have contacted Samuel?

Ryan O' Halloran is known for this type of idle speculation. People like you ignore the fact that we just added another DB yesterday. We signed Fred Smoot weeks ago. The Redskins are fair game because the media know that people like you will always bite.
flave1969 is offline   Reply With Quote