Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 01:10 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
The bolded is where I have issue. This is where I think separates the "haters" from the "lovers", so to speak. He hasn't missed the big plays "most of the time." He's missed "some" of them, which NEEDS to be improved. All of us "lovers" are saying that the receivers need to improve as well. TEAM game. The receivers have missed "some" of the big plays, as well. It can't be one or the other. If we agree that QB play should be better, than the 1st step in "dealing with what you've got" is having the receivers step up and make plays when given the opportunity.
It's not hating. It's telling the truth. Most of the time Alex misses big plays. Especially on the long ball. There were two in the last month or so I'd say were big bllunders. Vernon Davis dropping a for sure touchdown against the Rams at home and Ted Ginn not locating the ball in Arizona. Other than that it's either been an overthrow or thrown out of bounds other than the few times Alex went deep and it was caught. Most of the time it hasn't worked out though. Alex just doesn't seem to be getting more than his fair share of big plays produced. The good quarterbacks get that done. I think it's been more so an issue of the ball being thrown inaccurately than receivers dropping it. And inaccurate passes would also explain failures on third down, which I think are more attributed to that instead of passes being dropped.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:14 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I want to see what Daniel Kilgore can offer at Guard. I also think that Adama Snyder is far more valuable than it seems. Every snap he's been out this year it seems as though the entire O-Line craps out. Sadly, I think Snyder has been the glue. And ANY player that can man 5 positions is valuable.

I say let Rachal walk, re-sign Snyder, and allow Kilgore to back Snyder up. Save the draft pick for elsewhere.
I like Kilgore too and really hope he impresses this off-season. Synder is not the answer. He's a tweener OG. Do you guys not see him getting repeatedly pushed back and give up penetration on run plays? He's just better than Rachal in pass pro and he has the experience playing OT to tell Davis what to look out for in certain situations. But there's a reason we still use Rachal in some heay packages....because Synder run-blocking is lack-luster. To be the running team Jimbaugh wants to be, especially in the red-zone you need a upgrade at RG. The jack-of-all-trades angle is fine but at some point, but we need a mauler upfront that can get to the second level. And that aint Synder.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:19 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
It's not hating. It's telling the truth. Most of the time Alex misses big plays. Especially on the long ball. There were two in the last month or so I'd say were big bllunders. Vernon Davis dropping a for sure touchdown against the Rams at home and Ted Ginn not locating the ball in Arizona. Other than that it's either been an overthrow or thrown out of bounds other than the few times Alex went deep and it was caught. Most of the time it hasn't worked out though. Alex just doesn't seem to be getting more than his fair share of big plays produced. The good quarterbacks get that done. I think it's been more so an issue of the ball being thrown inaccurately than receivers dropping it. And inaccurate passes would also explain failures on third down, which I think are more attributed to that instead of passes being dropped.
We've had ALOT of 3rd down passes dropped. Especially by the TEs it seems. Like phylsac said, it isnt all on Alex. Alex isnt the best deep ball passer but when it does get there, guys need to make plays. Everyone has to improve in the passing game but I would just like to see someone tweak Alex's mechanics so that the ball doesn't sail on him when throws outside the hashes. That's a mechanics issue, IMO.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:21 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
And Larry Grant is a RFA, so I don't care if he wants a big pay day and/or wants to play elsewhere. You give him a healthy tender and make another team pay to have him.
Everything I've seen says he's a UFA.....but I hope your right, that would be huge.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:35 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
Everything I've seen says he's a UFA.....but I hope your right, that would be huge.
I hope I'm right, too, but I'm reading contradicting reports, as well. He very well might be Unrestricted.

I'm not sure how it works. When can teams offer an exclusive rights tender?

Last edited by phlysac : 12-26-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:39 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
We've had ALOT of 3rd down passes dropped. Especially by the TEs it seems. Like phylsac said, it isnt all on Alex. Alex isnt the best deep ball passer but when it does get there, guys need to make plays. Everyone has to improve in the passing game but I would just like to see someone tweak Alex's mechanics so that the ball doesn't sail on him when throws outside the hashes. That's a mechanics issue, IMO.
Of course it isn't all his fault. I'd say the majority of it is though.

This the top ten teams for converting on third down on offense. Keep in mind San Francisco ranks 31st out of 32 teams for this statistic. Top ten teams:

1. Saints
2. Packers
3. Chargers
4. Patriots
5. Steelers
6. Falcons
7. Ravens
8. Texans
9. Panthers
10. Eagles

All of those teams have a franchise quarterback that at times can shoulder the load. The only one that has really struggled this season is Vick. And he hasn't been super bad. Rivers has struggled with turning the ball over, but he is still a franchise quarterback and helps the Chargers convert a lot of third downs, which is why their offense leads the league in TOP. But all of those teams have solid starters at quarterback. And those guys are mainly responsible for helping the team convert. The 49ers will have a tougher schedule next season. And the NFC West could be improving heavily. If Alex doesn't correct his throwing motions and help the team convert on more third downs, along with receivers catching the ball, it is really going to effect them going forward.

Quote:
Old 12-26-2011, 07:29 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Did anyone see the tackle that Tarrell Brown decided not to make on Doug Baldwin's touchdown Saturday? Goldson took a bad angle at it, but at least he tried. Brown looked like he was more concerned about not getting injured.

Quote:
Old 12-26-2011, 07:42 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Brown has some decent speed but he isn't consistent at all. Spencer has never been in favor with this coaching staff and isn't that young anymore. Cully is going to get better but he needs more time. If Rogers isn't re-signed, CB is a pretty big need (again).

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Old 12-26-2011, 09:57 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

According to Rotoworld.com, Grant was an exclusive rights free agent with the Rams and they resinded their offer in July and he then signed a one year deal with us so it appears that he'll be an UFA.

Personally, I re-sign him. I think the 2012 off-season will be about re-signing our own free agents.

Smith, Morgan, Walker, Snyder, Brooks, Grant, Rogers and Goldson are the top eight players that will be UFA's. Smith is pretty much a guarantee. Morgan should be cheap to keep since he'll be coming off a season ending injury. Walker will probably get some offers but I think that we'll re-sign him. Snyder should be re-signed because if we cant get an RG in the draft, we're screwed and I easily would rather keep Snyder over Rachal. Brooks and Grant should be top priorities. While Brooks can be replaced with Aldon, I would rather see Aldon and Brooks as the starters and see Haralson on the bench. Rogers is important to the defense but he's over 30 and in a scheme that fits him well. Dont see us keeping him. Goldson is 50/50 and could go either way. It depends on what other free agents there will be at FS and CB.

The first six I would definitely try to re-sign even if I have to overpay a little.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:13 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Braylon Edwards released per Twitter

http://twitter.com/AdamSchefter
Old 12-27-2011, 09:24 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Braylon Edwards released per Twitter

http://twitter.com/AdamSchefter
Wow! Didn't see that coming. With Edwards being released, K-10 banged up, and D-Walk out indefinitely, they need to add another weapon or two to this roster or is it Brett Swain time?! Looking forward to their corresponding roster move as this was obviously planned. Braylon signed for $1M and didn't live up to his contract. Ouch.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Old 12-27-2011, 10:49 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Happy to see Edwards released because he didnt do a damn thing even when he was healthy.

Think its time to give Moss and/or Owens a call. :)
Old 12-27-2011, 01:06 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
Happy to see Edwards released because he didnt do a damn thing even when he was healthy.

Think its time to give Moss and/or Owens a call. :)
Well considering he was healthy all of one game, that's not saying much. He got hurt in the first quarter of the Dallas game. When we signed him, he was "going through something" and didnt practice the first week or so after he was signed. I think the guy was just snake-bitten this year. Edwards has been pretty much healthy his entire career, sans his rookie year I believe it was. The knee then the AC joint, I dont think we ever saw a healthy Edwards all year, minus the first game where our passing game was putrid.

There would be no point in signing a FA this late in the year. The'll probably bring Reuland up from the practice squad and we'll roll with Crabs, Ginn, K-10, and Swain at WR. Unless there's another cut and they bring up WR Matthews. Sad part about losing Walker is that it hurts our ST too, as he was a helluva ST player.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 12-27-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:37 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Everyone here knows that T.O. is my favorite player but I would choose Moss over him because he's a deep threat which is exactly what we need on the outside.

We should try to sign someone who has enough skill and talent to over come only two weeks of practice and learning the playbook. Even as a decoy, Moss (or Owens) would help us because let's face, we have a great opportunity this season and it would be a shame to see it go down the drain because we dont have that second receiver.

I like Williams more than Edwards but going with Crabtree, Williams (who was injured this past Saturday), Ginn (who is unjured) and Swain isnt exactly going to scare any defense we play. Sure, we have Davis but teams will take away that seam up the middle and as everyone has seen, he's not effective in most games because of that. Also, the drops hurt us too.

You can say Alex this and Alex that but bottom line is that we need a deep threat regardless of who our QB is.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:14 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, Michael Crabtree and Brett Swain are the only "definite" WRs available for Sunday.