Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum

Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum Discuss the Chiefs

Old 01-02-2012, 11:22 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With the QBs probably out of reach, here's hoping the Chiefs go after some help in the trenches. Personally I'm a fan of Mike Adams, but I think it would be intriguing to have a new TRich in the backfield. Hopefully Charles rebounds from his knee injury, but Jones is done, Battle is a decent 3rd stringer/special teams guy, and McCluster needs to be manufactured in the open field to be truly effective. Trent Richardson might be the best value where the Chiefs are picking.
villagewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:48 AM    (permalink
King Carls 5 Year Plan
Veteran

King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i do look at this offseason as huge for this young team. so many spots need to be fixed, new HC, new OC, players coming and going. the list goes on and on, but then you look at what they do have and the building blocks are there. the 2010 draft is full of star power. the 2011 draft has star potential and a blue collar work attitude. as a whole, the 2012 Kansas City Chiefs will embody their fans on the field. every player should be issued a hard hat on the 1st day of camp. this team will have every chance to win this division and make it theirs for years to come.

this is Pioli's make it or break it moment. his career away from Bill will be judged upon what he does this offseason. this HC hire will be the biggest of his career. he can't afford to take a chance on a risky HC and miss. i don't know how patient these fans and for that matter this owner can be. if wrong, this could be Pioli's last hire, here in KC. Now, Pioli has a track record of using due diligence. i dont expect him to take this decision lightly. nor should he listen to the fans. this is for him alone to decide.

the Chiefs need upgrades all over the field. 1st and foremost would be the OLine. Barry Richardson should be tossed out on his ass. he consistantly terrible. penalties that killed drives, blocking without effort, giving an opposing DE an easy path to the QB. i didn't believe that a young player that made so many positive strides in 1 year could regress so much in the next. if they feel he can play a good BU role for the Chiefs, then ok. having a BU with 2 years starting experiece would be nice. i just dont believe his head would be in the game after being replaced as the starter. next is Lilja. what happened? he is close to home and playing for a team that needs him. i don't know if he is injured and just never got his feet under him, but drafting or signing a player to compete for the LG position is a must. the rest of the starters are ok. Albert isn't bad, Asomoah is an ascending player, Hudson deserves a shot at starting. the BUs at every position need to be upgraded. with Hudson moving to starter, the lack of depth at the interior OLine is terrible. drafting younger players for this is ideal, however, we don't have a plethora of picks to spend them all on the OLine. getting a new OLine coach will be hard for some of these guys, but i doubt Muir comes back in that role. also, the new OC will change philosophies, at least a little bit. this may cause a bit of a learning curve during training camp and the preseason.

i have alot more to say, but my wife is hounding me to get off the computer. i'm sorry i haven't been a bigger part of the board recently. i've been busy with work, travel, family and the my computer & router got fried. i'm back in time to talk the offseason and the draft.
King Carls 5 Year Plan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:12 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Glad you're back man!

I'm currently writing up a giant season/offseason thoughts post. It'll be up later today or tomorrow, when I gather my thoughts on some stuff. There is a lot to talk about.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:19 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
Just stop already. Cassel is going to hurt this team more than help them. So will Orton.
Orton is easily a upgrade over Cassel.

If the Chiefs can resign Orton cut Cassel and draft a QB to groom behind Orton I will be happy.

That said looks like the Chiefs played their way out of getting a top QB in the draft even if fans don't want to admit it.

Out of the 10 teams picking a head of the Chiefs I could see 4 if not more of those teams looking at a QB.

If the Chiefs want a QB they are going to have to move in to the top five and I don't see them doing so.

I say grab at RT in round one unless a miracle happens and a QB falls and then draft a QB in round two.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:17 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You see teams trading back up into the first for QBs all the time and I could see us doing that for Tannehill, who I am REALLY high on.

With our first pick it should be a RT though, unless we can move up for RG3.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:10 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I could see us getting backing in to the end of round one as well, but I feel that moving in to the top five is a pipe dream.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:35 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You see teams trading back up into the first for QBs all the time and I could see us doing that for Tannehill, who I am REALLY high on.

With our first pick it should be a RT though, unless we can move up for RG3.
What QB has that ever worked for, though? Flacco?

I mean, we're talking about guys like Kyle Boller, Rex Grossman, JP Losman, Brady Quinn, Jason Campbell, Patrick Ramsey (sort of), etc.

EDIT: The Ravens didn't get back into the first round, they just traded back in the first round and then up again (8-26-18)...raking Jacksonville over the coals in the process.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:40 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

It hasn't worked in recent memory so why should we try to improve our team at the most important position in football AND the biggest team need? Is that what you're saying?

Last edited by vidae : 01-02-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:46 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
Orton is easily a upgrade over Cassel.
This is patently false. Orton was playing out of his mind the last three weeks in a situation where he had zero pressure on him, and that's the best you'll get from him. Heck, he even got a 99% focused Richardson in that stretch (Richardson did miss a couple blocks against Denver, and Asamoah yelled at him). He's a turnover machine and runs hot & cold worse at the worst moments more than anyone in the NFL outside of Rex Grossman.

How does Cassel hurt the Chiefs? That's one of the least true things I've seen. He's one of the best in the NFL at not making negative plays. He protects the ball and effectively distributes it to playmakers.

Quote:
I say grab at RT in round one unless a miracle happens and a QB falls and then draft a QB in round two.
The Chiefs will be really well-off for the rest of the draft and off-season if they land a RT in the first round. That said, if Trent Richardson somehow falls, that's a tough one to pass up. From there, improve TE depth and the offense is pretty much good to go. Would like to see a couple receivers added and hopefully a RB.

If you gave me 7 picks and I had to choose positions, I'd go RT, ILB, TE, WRx2, RB, S in some order... Obviously RT, TE, and ILB are the areas that do the most to help the team improve right away.

Last edited by nepg : 01-02-2012 at 04:57 PM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:01 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
It hasn't worked in recent memory so why should we try to improve our team at the most important position in football AND the biggest team need? Is that what you're saying?
It's the wrong way to go about that position, and that has been proven to be true over and over again. You want Tannehill? That's bad, man. There's no one after RG3 that's as good as Stanzi. Bottom line.

If they really do want a QB, which they don't, they'll make a move to get RG3. Otherwise, they've got the QBs they'll have on the team for the most part.

Maybe they'll have Clemens instead of Orton because Romeo and Pioli both know having Orton & Cassel going into the off-season is a bad idea. But that's pretty much the situation.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:12 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Jason LaCanfora reporting that Bill Muir is "likely" to retire.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:03 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Not the schedule, but we have our 2012 opponents:

Home: Denver Broncos, Oakland Raiders, San Diego Chargers, Baltimore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals, Indianapolis Colts, Atlanta Falcons, Carolina Panthers

Away: Denver Broncos, Oakland Raiders, San Diego Chargers, Cleveland Browns, Pittsburgh Steelers, Buffalo Bills, New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Old 01-02-2012, 07:21 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
This is patently false. Orton was playing out of his mind the last three weeks in a situation where he had zero pressure on him, and that's the best you'll get from him. Heck, he even got a 99% focused Richardson in that stretch (Richardson did miss a couple blocks against Denver, and Asamoah yelled at him).

I'll take Orton's 300 yards passing a game with the Chiefs over Cassel's 190 every day of the week.

I don't know how anyone in the right mind can say that Orton didn't look more comfortably in the pocket and better in every way than Cassel.

Orton is FAR from great and in no way the QBOTF but he is a hell of alot better than Cassel.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:24 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Orton looks like an actual QB.. going through his progressions, standing tall in the pocket, etc.. Cassel looks like he's about to dribble down his leg every time he drops back. It's night and day.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:27 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Edit: I give up... I think Cassel sucks and needs to be replaced you think he is the best thing since sliced bread. I'm done with this debate.

Last edited by Splat : 01-02-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:13 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Yeah it has gotten quite old by now, haha. Nepg believes in Cassel, the rest of us don't. End of story.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:52 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Orton and Cassel really seem to be the same guy to me. Cassel seems to be more effective in the red zone while Orton seems more effective between the 20s. The one big leg up that Orton has is he doesn't take as many sacks as Cassel.
villagewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:16 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagewarrior View Post
Orton and Cassel really seem to be the same guy to me. Cassel seems to be more effective in the red zone while Orton seems more effective between the 20s. The one big leg up that Orton has is he doesn't take as many sacks as Cassel.
The line played decidedly better in the last three games than most of the rest of the season. They also had Becht in blocking instead of O'Connell. The whole personnel package was just better than what they'd been using, really.

Orton does get rid of the ball faster, but that's often not a good thing in his case. Orton does a terrible job taking care of the ball, especially in key spots. He had zero pressure to perform, and it showed. The couple times he had a little bit of pressure, he threw INTs that cost the Chiefs a playoff spot.

The situations around the QB position just flat-out sucked this year, though. I do like Orton, he's just not as good as Cassel. The Cassel hate is crazy here.

Muir retiring opens up a good opportunity to bring in McDaniels and let him put together an offensive staff. He should have some good options with quite a few coaching staffs being blown up this off-season.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:15 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

The Cassel hate isn't crazy. Your Cassel love is crazy, but you're the only Chiefs fan in the world who doesn't realize it.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:39 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Let's just assume Romeo Crennel is the HC who do you want as DC?
Old 01-03-2012, 12:47 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Todd Grantham.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:06 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Keep an ear out for Kevin Coyle, our DB coach.
He has done a lot of really good things with some really bad players.

(if we lose him, I do hope it is to a team like KC)

I think he could do wonders with Eric Berry.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:45 PM    (permalink
chief_fan88
Rookie

chief_fan88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chief_fan88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chief_fan88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chief_fan88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chief_fan88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chief_fan88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chief_fan88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chief_fan88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chief_fan88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chief_fan88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chief_fan88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Let's just assume Romeo Crennel is the HC who do you want as DC?
Emmitt Thomas or Raheem Morris
chief_fan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:51 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Don't get me wrong I think Emmitt Thomas has done a great job and needs to stay but in his current role.

As for Raheem Morris I'm not sure he would be a good fit for a 3-4 team. I dam sure don't want to switch back to a 4-3.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:53 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong I think Emmitt Thomas has done a great job and needs to stay but in his current role.

As for Raheem Morris I'm not sure he would be a good fit for a 3-4 team. I dam sure don't want to switch back to a 4-3.
Mangini?
I know he stinks as a HC but Ive always liked the defenses.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote