Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 01-06-2012, 10:38 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradysKnee View Post
You always assume worst case.

Sure, it could hinder him and effect him negatively.
It could also motivate him and encourage him to work harder.

It's silly to speculate because we really cannot know, and it could be good or bad, 50/50.

With all due respect, you are the one speculating with "he will be able to manage both jobs for the time being I am sure" and saying it will motivate him to work harder. That's speculation.

I'm simply bringing it up as a concern and something to look out for, similar to how it was viewed with Weis and Crennel back in 2004. If you want to view with with rose colored glasses, that's your prerogative...but with two consecutive early playoff exits, I don't think it's at all unreasonable to have a healthy air of trepidation about this situation. Completely different situation than it was with Weis(and the potential distraction of Notre Dame was a story line back then), where we were coming off two recent Super Bowl victories. This isn't the same group of players of coaches, you have to earn that kind of cache and confidence....it shouldn't(and doesn't) just get given to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
Bring it on. I would view that as a major upgrade over O'Brien. I'm not sure it's in the best interest of McDaniel's career though; going to Kansas City(or staying in St. Louis) and being successful probably proves a lot more than coming here does. If he's willing though, I would be excited as hell for sure.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:50 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Brandon Lloyd is on record that he wants to follow McDaniels to his next job. Just saying. That could (help) alleviate our WR problems. I'd still like Michael Floyd in town, but I could live without him if we go after Lloyd.

edit: I really think BoB was by far the best guy even remotely interested in the Penn State job. I am still shocked anyone with any potential head coaching future wants that job. It's going to be a nightmare job. Someone called it a hornet's nest... but I think that's putting it too mildly. It's going to be absolute hell. The alumni are split on any hire. The new staff could be impossible to work with. The NCAA could give PSU the death penalty.

There are so many reasons why to avoid that situation, I almost feel bad for BoB taking it. I don't really feel a great amount of attachment to him, but I get the feeling he's made a huge mistake going from a heaven to hell.

Last edited by descendency : 01-06-2012 at 10:55 AM.
descendency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:52 AM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
With all due respect, you are the one speculating with "he will be able to manage both jobs for the time being I am sure" and saying it will motivate him to work harder. That's speculation.

I'm simply bringing it up as a concern and something to look out for, similar to how it was viewed with Weis and Crennel back in 2004. If you want to view with with rose colored glasses, that's your prerogative...but with two consecutive early playoff exits, I don't think it's at all unreasonable to have a healthy air of trepidation about this situation. Completely different situation than it was with Weis(and the potential distraction of Notre Dame was a story line back then), where we were coming off two recent Super Bowl victories. This isn't the same group of players of coaches, you have to earn that kind of cache and confidence....it shouldn't(and doesn't) just get given to you.

Bring it on. I would view that as a major upgrade over O'Brien. I'm not sure it's in the best interest of McDaniel's career though; going to Kansas City(or staying in St. Louis) and being successful probably proves a lot more than coming here does. If he's willing though, I would be excited as hell for sure.
Not saying either really. You could be right, don't take it the wrong way. I just see no reason to worry about it at this time, I'm more worried about our defense being beat the **** up than OBrien lol.

I think we're very well poised for at least an AFC Championship, and maybe the SB if the defense can regroup. All I am saying is that OBrien knows a SB would give him much needed recruiting power.
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
BradysKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:57 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
Brandon Lloyd is on record that he wants to follow McDaniels to his next job. Just saying. That could (help) alleviate our WR problems. I'd still like Michael Floyd in town, but I could live without him if we go after Lloyd.
That would be fantastic. We were in the running for him before St. Louis snapped him up. I would have fairly low expectations for him, as Chad has proven that you really can't trust these 30+ wide receivers to just come in and be effective....but it's certainly better than another year of Chad(which isn't happening anyway, 6 million reasons why) and a much better overall fit. I would still want to grab a younger wide receiver who can stretch the field in either the draft or free agency, but still, it would be nice to add Lloyd as a weapon for next year.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 01-06-2012, 11:11 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

McDufus and Lloyd would be very nice for us. Lloyd is a bit of an anomoly as he is playing better late in his career than he ever has before. He's still playing fast and making great catches, which is not something we could say for Chad over the last 3 years.

Also, just cuz it's funny and I really think we could see a Pats / Pack SB . . .

Skip to 2:20 and watch from there.
(my apologies for the link to NFL.com, which always forces video ads first, but I can't find it anywhere else.)

Dave Dameshek's Shame Report (Week 12)

Or just a screen shot of Shek's prediction, but it's much better watching the whole bit.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:10 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Early word is that the Happy Valley faithful aren't receiving O'Brien very well at all. So not only is he trying to salvage a recruiting class and assemble a staff in the wake of the worst sports scandal ever, he's also going to have to deal with alumni entitlement and a less than stellar reaction from a fanbase in general....all the while trying to do the 24 hour a day job of trying to make a Super Bowl run, wherein the lions share of it is predicated on the side of the ball he's in charge of. You can't tell me that's not a whole lot on one plate.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 01-06-2012, 12:18 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
What's an OR?
Outside Rusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
As a Pats fan, I hate it. Bill's developed into a great OC the last couple of years, and I really don't want to go through the process of replacing that positions again. I was hoping this guy would actually be content to stay and wait for the Patriots job. Belichick doesn't have too long left, in my estimation and the Patriots is easily one of the Top 2-4 jobs in the NFL.

As a Bill O'Brien fan, I hate it. Dude jumped at the first job that he was offered. STUPID. He also took one of the worst possible jobs out there. He was going to get a ton of offers this off-season. Including a few HC positions for NFL teams. Bill O'Brien ****** up bad here. Did not do due diligence to make sure he was making the right move, and will pay for it. And the guy has zero connection to Penn State. He's a Dorchester kid who went to Brown. The only thing that links him to Penn State is Bill Belichick's disdain for the program.

As a Penn State fan, I'd be loving it. They're going through a transition period and definitely needed to clean house anyway. Old school Penn State people might not be on board with it right away, but will eventually. O'Brien's going to be a good recruiter and even if he flops as a coach, the team will be set up very nicely for the next guy that comes along.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:31 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I doubt O'Brien would have stayed around even without a head coaching gig. His contract was at the end of the season...and he wasn't going to prove a heck of a lot more by sticking around and having Brady get all the credit. A few writers have even said as much, even though it sounds like that was mostly speculation.

I'm nowhere near as impressed with his abilities as you are, we've become more limited as an offense in the name of balance(...and we aren't even balanced) under his watch. Look at where we're best; with Brady changing things up at the the line of scrimmage and going fast. I don't think he was horrible or anything, but this team succeeded offensively the past few years because we have the best quarterback in the NFL, not because of phenomenal coaching or scheme.

Reports are coming out that the McDaniel's thing looks like a slam dunk and that the Rams have told him that he's free to go anywhere he wants. John Clayton was just on ESPN and said that "it looks like he doesn't want to go to the Chiefs". Not sure that's based on anything else than him throwing feelers out, but it's the first we've heard on it and I would love it if that's true.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 01-06-2012, 01:47 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Clayton never has any real information, but my guess is that McD is done with dealing with other organizations and if the choices are down to New England and Kansas City, he'll take the safer job with the Pats.

I liked O'Brien's personnel packages a lot. He put the talent on the field together well. I think he could have done a much better job getting Edelman involved, but it's tough when your other 4 receivers (including the 2 TEs) do pretty much the same thing that Edelman does well.

If McDaniels does come back, he'll bring Lloyd (great fit), leaving the Pats with probably 4 WRs and 2 spots to fill. I still think they need to get one with their first 4 picks. He also brings a more varied run game and does a better job taking advantage of every player's strength.

Last edited by nepg : 01-06-2012 at 01:52 PM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:43 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Clayton usually has a good amount of inside news imo. Anyway I would be happy to have McDaniels back so long as we don't fully abandon a run game and force Brady to throw 50 times a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:49 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
Clayton usually has a good amount of inside news imo. Anyway I would be happy to have McDaniels back so long as we don't fully abandon a run game and force Brady to throw 50 times a game.
McD runs a balanced offense as much as he can, actually. They were pretty much 50/50 in 2008 and they were still 9th in Rushing Attempts in 2007 even with that insane passing offense... And were actually only 5th in Passing Attempts.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:52 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
McD runs a balanced offense as much as he can, actually. They were pretty much 50/50 in 2008 and they were still 9th in Rushing Attempts in 2007 even with that insane passing offense... And were actually only 5th in Passing Attempts.
Well yeah but that's because Brady was out at that point. He didn't call run plays for **** when the Giants D-line was kicking the **** out of us in the superbowl. Pass pass pass.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:59 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Maroney ran 14 times for 36 yards (2.6ypc) with a long of 9.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:05 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
I do have some apprehension about how he'll adapt to the personnel. Throwing 50 times a game 2007 style is fantastic if you can hit it and hit it on all levels and have it work(something we can't do right now, both due to coaching and personnel), but we're certainly not set up the same way with the tight ends. McDaniel's always seemed to want to revolutionize the tight end position without actually getting the ball to those guys. The Ben Watson era did not go as well as it could have. Clearly, some of that is because Ben Watson is about an eighth of the player that Gronk is...but still.

I suppose you have to give him a similar pass on the run game, considering that we were still trying to pretend that Laurence Maroney was going to be as good as Corey Dillon was....but he was focused on airing it out.

So yeah, Josh McDaniels, his biffle Brandon Lloyd, and a young receiver would really be an excellent way to fix the few issues we have on offense, assuming he's willing to adapt a bit to the personnel, which I think he should do well enough with.

It's kind of interesting that we're hearing this as soon as we are. Granted, it's not often that your incumbent offensive coordinator gets hired away during a playoff run...but I'm wondering where it goes from here. It would be totally unlike us to announce that McDaniels is the coordinator next year WHILE we're still in the playoffs, but it would be pretty awkward at this point in the stories life cycle if it were to die suddenly too, especially whereas the Rams will probably want to let their head coach hire a replacement....and I can't imagine McDaniel's wants to have it look like he got fired. That's not even getting into the entire Chiefs angle....although I'm unsure if they'll prolong that entire thing with an interview process or just hire Crennel outright.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 01-06-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:51 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Really not sure what they're doing here in KC. It's pretty obvious that Romeo is the guy and it's a great fit. They need to be finding someone who can run the offense for Romeo since that and the QB controversy was his downfall in Cleveland.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:24 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

McDaniels is hands-down the most logical and realistic choice to replace Bill O'Brien but another name to keep an eye on is Brian Daboll. Daboll was unhappy that McDaniels got promoted over him during his time in New England and became a malcontent but always gameplans well against New England; being dominated against the Browns last year stands out. Daboll will most likely be looking for work once Miami chooses a new head coach.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:39 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Adam Schefter reporting McDaniels is back with the Pats...for the playoffs as an offensive assistant and will become offensive coordinator after the playoffs

Edit: Expected to sign him for the playoffs

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:02 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
Adam Schefter reporting McDaniels is back with the Pats...for the playoffs as an offensive assistant and will become offensive coordinator after the playoffs

Edit: Expected to sign him for the playoffs
Wait, is that even allowed?

Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-07-2012, 11:05 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yes, it is; read that somewhere in the past few days (Schefter?) This was an expected move and McDaniels is probably the best replacement possible for O'Brien.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:08 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it's a great scenario to be in now. Having McDaniels around should calm any worries about whether or not O'Brien could be the coordinator when his mind was elsewhere with Penn State. Plus now it may(a big hope here) bring back a more vertical threat in the passing game. It's hard to argue with O'Brien's system but it is all horizontal.

Oh and it puts us in the driver's seat for Brandon Lloyd who can't be any worse than Ocho

Old 01-07-2012, 11:11 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

I kind of am holding out hope that Ocho can turn it on in the post season for us and make some things happen. I know its not realistic and I doubt it will happen but it would be nice if things started clicking finally when we really need it.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-07-2012, 11:13 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
I kind of am holding out hope that Ocho can turn it on in the post season for us and make some things happen. I know its not realistic and I doubt it will happen but it would be nice if things started clicking finally when we really need it.
I hope so too and maybe McDaniels can add a wrinkle or two that gets him involved.

What I've noticed though is that he gets open quite a lot but it's clear Brady doesn't trust him. He has dropped a few easy ones this season which may be the case(such as the sure-fire TD in the first game at Buffalo).

Old 01-07-2012, 11:31 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

That actually makes a whole ton of sense. I didn't think that was a possible solution, but it works on a few fronts. As I said before; it would be awkward for all parties if the story was suddenly to die and for McDaniel's to eventually be fired by the Rams. It also makes me feel a whole lot better about O'Brien and the Penn State factor. McDaniel's is a good offensive coach and can help out with the gameplanning. It will be interesting to see how quickly he can integrate himself into the current system and personnel, but getting him around the team and the current roster can only help going into next year. Very pleased with the way this worked out.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 01-07-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:15 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
Old 01-07-2012, 01:24 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Something to keep in mind; McDaniel's has prepared gameplans for all of our potential playoff opponents except for Houston...and a lot of the teams we could face in the Super Bowl if we make it that far. Granted, the Rams didn't do a whole lot against anyone on offense, but he has some familiarity with their defensive personnel and schemes.

R.I.P. Junior Seau