Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Carolina Panthers Team Forum

Carolina Panthers Team Forum Discuss the Panthers

Old 12-31-2011, 01:44 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPF View Post
We won't have a lot of cap room to do anything in free agency if we don't rework some contracts. According to reports we're already over what next years cap projects to be and that's with some guys we'd probably like to re-sign (Anderson, Shockey, etc.).

Coples I'm not impressed with (and I'm a UNC fan). He had a solid year last year but this year his numbers dipped. Hell, two games (Duke & James Madison) account for over half his sack total this year. He'll get drafted almost purely on athleticism.
Well you know Thomas Davis will have to restructure.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:45 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We project to be around 4 mill over the cap, considering we'll have a top 10 pick we'll need to cut around 7 mill just to sign our first round pick.
JPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:36 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPF View Post
We project to be around 4 mill over the cap, considering we'll have a top 10 pick we'll need to cut around 7 mill just to sign our first round pick.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/pos...gures-for-2012

How much does cutting Sherrod Martin and Mare clear up? I don't need to see Sherrod take any more bad angles or regress any further.

The thing about loyalty towards players and paying them big money is that they work with the front office more and help make room for improvements. Hopefully...

They'll make it and probably make it with enough room to sign some decent free agent. Too bad we can't go after Landry, we need another playmaker badly.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:08 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...#storylink=cpy

welcome to the doghouse Sherrod. A young safety could be on the board, but I kind of think Rivera would rather get a decent vet in there. Safeties aren't worth top picks.

It looks like the team likes Gettis and Lafell a lot, but if hell froze over and Blackmon was available I think we still take him. He would be the BPA by far and I'd like the looks of our new generation of receivers a lot.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:24 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cutting Mare saves about 200K, so not even enough to replace him.

Cutting Martin saves around 575K.
JPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:00 PM    (permalink
Smash28Dash34
Rookie

Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lol holy crap talk about throwing a guy under the bus. Seems to me he will definitely be cut. I would love a guy like Laron Landry here.
Smash28Dash34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:08 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Old 01-14-2012, 02:50 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

What do you guys think about Brockers declaring? I think he easily becomes the best defensive lineman available and his versatility combined with his talent.

DT version of CJ.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:16 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My big board is basically

Brockers, Blackmon, Trade
Old 01-16-2012, 08:51 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Also, something to consider:

Michael Floyd
Alshon Jeffery
Kendall Wright
Reuben Randle
Dwight Jones

One of those guys are going to be there at our 2nd round pick. I'm a big believer in Gettis and Lafell also really picked it up last year but don't you basically have to take whichever of those guys falls? All of them bring something to the table that I don't think our offense currently offers, with the possible exception of Randle who I just really like.

Obviously, we need help - a lot of help - on defense. But our offense is close to being something special and I think we'd be missing out not to take advantage of this crop of WRs. We just need one more playmaker to be there until Smitty hangs 'em up IMO - whether it's at TE, RB (a Sproles type) or WR doesn't matter - and I don't see the right fit at the other spots this year. I'd be fine and even endorse taking defense with all our other picks but now that I think about I really want one of those guys

Of course, if Blackmon drops to us at 8 I think it's a no brainer. I had to come around on the guy a bit - he's no AJ Green/Julio Jones imo - but there aren't many sure things after the first couple picks in this draft and I'm pretty confident he's one of them.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:40 PM    (permalink
Smash28Dash34
Rookie

Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why would we take a DT in the top 10 when we spent 2 3rds on the position last year and Ron Edwards will be coming back who we gave a considerable amount of money to?
Smash28Dash34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:12 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

Why would we take a QB #1 overall when we just took one in the 2nd round the year before?

I'm not confident in either of Fua/McClain developing into more than rotation players and even if they do, Ron Edwards is getting up there in age and coming off an injury. There's always room for good players. Look at the Giants and the DE position
Old 01-17-2012, 06:56 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
Why would we take a QB #1 overall when we just took one in the 2nd round the year before?

I'm not confident in either of Fua/McClain developing into more than rotation players and even if they do, Ron Edwards is getting up there in age and coming off an injury. There's always room for good players. Look at the Giants and the DE position
The giants are a good example of how to stockpile defensive line talent. Teams who can't win the line don't often win championships (unless they have a HOF QB to bail them out for seasons on end).

I have no problem drafting Brockers even though we drafted two DT last year because he has some huge potential. When someone mentions Richard Seymour when describing a player, I'm all ears. We'll see how he does during the eval process.

As for receiver, I think Wright could be out there in the second but the league does love speedsters. I have seen Rueben Randle make a good amount of plays this year though I haven't looked at him as a prospect, I think he was highly touted though.

I'll break something if we draft Jeffery. I've been a fan of big college receivers before. The same argument is used in their favor but it doesn't work in the NFL if they don't have the speed. I'm not really sure bout the work ethic in learning routes, he'll need to be fantastic to be effective.

Last edited by ShutDwn : 01-17-2012 at 07:07 PM.
ShutDwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:26 AM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

Jeffrey has a lot of red flags but this time last year he was considered as good a prospect as Blackmon. Compare him to Jon Baldwin, a similar but worse player, who went late first last year and if we can get him at 40/41 I would take that any day. also, he has played with some straight GARBAGE qb's in college and produced

If you had to throw a jump ball to one of our WR's right now who would you pick? I'd take Smith, and that's all you need to know in that respect. He gives us an element we don't have, and I think a monstrous WR like him would fit well on our playground offense with Cam and Steve, plus tall guys like Lafell, Olsen and Gettis streaking down the field

We have enough weapons to cover up his flaws and only play him situationally. This isn't the John Fox days where we have a 1 1/2 WRs and nothing else

Plaxico did pretty well for himself as a slow, big guy with no separation and a limited route tree his entire career

...Don't get me wrong, if Alshon runs a 4.7 I want no part of him. But if he can get under or around 4.6 I think that's enough

Last edited by SchizophrenicBatman : 01-18-2012 at 09:28 AM.
SchizophrenicBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:04 AM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
Jeffrey has a lot of red flags but this time last year he was considered as good a prospect as Blackmon. Compare him to Jon Baldwin, a similar but worse player, who went late first last year and if we can get him at 40/41 I would take that any day. also, he has played with some straight GARBAGE qb's in college and produced

If you had to throw a jump ball to one of our WR's right now who would you pick? I'd take Smith, and that's all you need to know in that respect. He gives us an element we don't have, and I think a monstrous WR like him would fit well on our playground offense with Cam and Steve, plus tall guys like Lafell, Olsen and Gettis streaking down the field

We have enough weapons to cover up his flaws and only play him situationally. This isn't the John Fox days where we have a 1 1/2 WRs and nothing else

Plaxico did pretty well for himself as a slow, big guy with no separation and a limited route tree his entire career

...Don't get me wrong, if Alshon runs a 4.7 I want no part of him. But if he can get under or around 4.6 I think that's enough

Ehh if it's really just jump ball ability that he brings I would look at the board of receivers and identify a guy who has size and decent enough speed to take a chance and develop.

I'll be in favor if Cam calls him up and makes him work with him up till camp. I'll be in favor of any player who will work like Cam has shown he does.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:42 AM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Cam Newton's last few years of football:

2009: JUCO college champion
2010: NCAA CF Champion
2011: First pick in NFL draft
Rookie of the Year (Breaks a bajillion records)
Pro Bowl
2012: ???

Stafford should have been going, but people can't take their eyes off killa Cam.

He should enjoy it, I doubt he goes again.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:06 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd love for us to get Jeffery in the second round. He's obviously got great hands and great jump ball ability, but his on the speed field is more than sufficient. Just watch the long catch and run he had in the Outback Bowl(not the equally worthy Hail Mary); he does ultimately get caught and tackled by Dennard, but he easily bursts past him, showing that what he may lack in top end speed he makes up with quick burst.

There are obviously some issues with him. He's not the most polished receiver, but not horribly unpolished either. Also, although I think conditioning issues for him are overrated, I can't absolutely guarantee this.

Saying all that, I think using a second round pick on a guy with top ten potential(remember, many had him pegged above Blackmon last year) is worth it.

As for the first round, please not Coples. I just don't see anything making him worth the risk. Assuming Claiborne or Blackmon aren't available, I'd want one of either Kirkpatrick, Poe or Brockers. I think Brockers with his potential would get my pick.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:03 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

http://www.tmz.com/2012/01/24/cam-ne.../#.Tx7_aGNWo7c

Cam was out drinking (water) with some rappers! RED FLAGS!!!!!
Old 01-25-2012, 10:40 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How has your oline looked this season when you got Matsko as your OL coach
Old 01-26-2012, 10:16 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
How has your oline looked this season when you got Matsko as your OL coach
Ahhh it's okay. I guess they held it together for the most part while going through injuries across it. They were very strong early when they were healthy. The pass protection wasn't as good as the run blocking.

On another note, the bucs just found a hc. Can we breath easy on Chud yet???

Cam is catching 50 yard passes at pro bowl practice, btw
Old 01-30-2012, 10:20 AM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

New Logo came out:

Old 01-30-2012, 02:26 PM    (permalink
NOLAFan
Rookie

NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i like the old one better. this new one looks like its giving the wtf face.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:02 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAFan View Post
i like the old one better. this new one looks like its giving the wtf face.
That's pretty much everyone's reaction initially, mine too. But the more I look at the new one next to the old one I think it is an improvement.

The old one is flat. The eyes and ears don't make sense and the jaw is just a rectangle. The new one has depth because the blue isn't just randomly slapped in there. It's just a lot more three dimensional now.

New uniforms could also be on the way.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:22 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

I saw this from a press release

Quote:
New Orleans Saints Defensive Coordinator Gregg Williams

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Are you familiar with the troubles that the Saints have had with Steve Smith?

“Yeah I am, and I’ve had the same issues too. It’s not like this is the first time I’ve gone against those guys. He’s an unbelievable football player. I wanted to draft him when I was the head coach of the Bills but obviously he came off the board before I had a chance to do that. In fact, his receiver coach in college was my receiver coach at the Buffalo Bills. I knew him inside and out but we couldn’t convince our personnel people to move him up the list to take him sooner. Our receiver coach up there and I wanted him a lot sooner than he was taken by anybody in the league, but he had a couple of health issues coming out. But he’s an unbelievable football player. He does things that obviously you can’t coach. He’s in a system where they’re going to do two or three things that we haven’t even seen on film where they’re going to try to scheme a big play to him. They try to walk down the path with them. Last week they did it; last week they threw one of those plays where they acted like they were going to run it and then they threw it to him on a short hitch, he nods and he goes right on by them. They do a lot of things like that. He’s so explosive. The thing that I think he does is the best is that for a little guy, when the ball goes up in the air, he plays like a 6-10 center; he goes and gets it. What you have to do is to turn his little body over so that when he does get it, he lands on his head and he doesn’t come back in for a while.”
Old 03-27-2012, 01:38 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Here is some random stuff to help get us panther fans through the offseason. I recently posted about Cam being back at work, here is some more stuff to get you excited for his second year:

The quote about the wrist band is the best part. I noticed he didn't wear one and I love that Chud wouldn't let him. For a guy who was supposed to be brought along slowly they really didn't attempt to dumb things down.

Here is Trent Dilfer speaking at some event. He talks about himself for a while so skip to the five minute mark or so. Basically he says he wasted his ability because he didn't understand the work he needed along with it.

He's already gone through all this throws and is still working out. We need to make sure he never leaves.