Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 01-05-2012, 06:20 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Whitney Mercilus, DE, Illinois

This guy seems one of the more intriguing prospects who people will have a lot of widely varying opinions about.

He is now listed at 25 on kiper's big board
But I haven't seen him play or heard much about him.

What are people's thoughts on Mercilus as a prospect?
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:30 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's a guy I've also been seeing at the top end of a lot of boards but haven't seen very much of.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:31 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Outstanding production this year at Illinois but idk if his game will translate to the NFL successfully. Not ruling him out as a 1st round pick though, I didn't get to see him play as much as some other prospects.

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:32 PM    (permalink
PossibleCabbage
Pro Bowler

PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

On paper, he definitely has both the frame and the skills to rush the passer from either an odd or an even front, and he did have a heck of a lot of sacks this year.

However you always sort of worry about pass rushers who don't show up until their draft eligible years, and he didn't really do anything of note until this year. So you worry if there's a motivation issue, he's slow on the uptake or what. I think the interview at the combine could make or break him as far as "where he's drafted" is concerned.

You take him as a high upside kind of guy, but he's got "boom or bust" written all over him, if you ask me.
PossibleCabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:41 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

9 forced fumbles this year

I'd rather have him than Coples who didnt show up for his last season
Old 01-05-2012, 06:49 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Relevant: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/s...t-firstrounder

I just don't like those types of DEs because they are a liability at the POA usually.

- Ko Simpson
gpngc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:52 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He is going to carry the one year wonder tag after surging from 1 sack in 2010 to 14.5 sacks in 2011, but his raw talent and athleticism is hard to ignore. Scouts will have to decide if that kind of production is sustainable at the next level. The Combine will be crucial in his assessment.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:19 PM    (permalink
DBNYDP
Veteran

DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

From what I've seen he's very athletic and has a great motor. Those guys I'll gamble on even if their technique is raw and could use a lot of work. But I think the combine will be huge for him, I've only seen his athleticism on tape I'm curious to see his arm length and 10 yard dash.

Last edited by DBNYDP : 01-05-2012 at 07:21 PM.
DBNYDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:48 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Benefited a lot from Illinois' blitz-heavy scheme and aggressive use of their DEs (went upfield on pass rush almost every play). There was a good article by Rob Rang on CBS about him that came out a day or so ago....EDIT: that gnpc posted a link to :D
Old 01-05-2012, 07:50 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
9 forced fumbles this year

I'd rather have him than Coples who didnt show up for his last season
I wouldn't. Much higher upside on Coples, who played to not get hurt with the NFL in mind, and was out of position this past year at weakside DE instead of LDE or DT.....and Coples still had 15 TFLs and 8 sacks this year!
Old 01-05-2012, 09:57 PM    (permalink
BUSTKUNTLAWL
Veteran

BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The scheme friendly system is definitely a small negative.

Whitney has a very explosive first step and is going to be a good NFL player. He's not one of these on/off ends where you are never really sure what you are going to get. He brings it consistently. A safe pick character wise and a coaches wet dream.

I still think his value is just outside the first round, but would be a tad surprised if someone didn't take him in the first round.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:45 AM    (permalink
ellsy82
Veteran

ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd take him in the first any day of the week. Late first round if he makes it that far. That man is an animal. Even on a team stocked at LB like the Steelers...I'd still take him in the first if he fell.
"He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, 'You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant." I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of there." Elway's take on Lambert
ellsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:13 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rob Rang not liking Mercilus moves him up my board even higher

The guy is wrong more often than McShay
Old 01-06-2012, 01:56 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mercilus was a complete non-factor in the Badger game and going up against NFL caliber competition is where I like to make my evaluations...he relies heavily on his speed around the edge (which isn't exceptional) and he doesn't use his hands well or have an array of moves

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:08 PM    (permalink
ellsy82
Veteran

ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
Mercilus was a complete non-factor in the Badger game and going up against NFL caliber competition is where I like to make my evaluations...he relies heavily on his speed around the edge (which isn't exceptional) and he doesn't use his hands well or have an array of moves
That's correct, he's far from a finished product. But look at that production. If he's getting by and putting up all-star numbers with just an small array of moves, his potential is limitless.

In this year alone he has 22.5 TFL for 123 yards, 16 sacks for 103 yards, and NINE forced fumbles. To me, that's warrants giving the guy a second look.
"He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, 'You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant." I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of there." Elway's take on Lambert
Old 01-06-2012, 02:24 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
Rob Rang not liking Mercilus moves him up my board even higher

The guy is wrong more often than McShay
Rang's credibility >>>>>>>>>> McShay's though. He is actually a legitimate evaluator who knows what he's talking about. Some guys he likes don't work out, but when he says something about a guy that turns out to be right it usually is way before anyone else says it. He and Mayock are two of the better ones out there.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:17 PM    (permalink
PossibleCabbage
Pro Bowler

PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
Rang's credibility >>>>>>>>>> McShay's though. He is actually a legitimate evaluator who knows what he's talking about. Some guys he likes don't work out, but when he says something about a guy that turns out to be right it usually is way before anyone else says it. He and Mayock are two of the better ones out there.
Rang also has great sources. So he's a good read regardless. Sure he's wrong about a lot of guys, but so is everybody in this business (including professional scouts.)
Old 01-07-2012, 02:14 PM    (permalink
GaMeTiMe
Veteran

GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's a second-round pick. Maybe, MAYBE someone trades up into the high second because they love his potential. But I don't believe the first-round hype. The smart teams will ignore the production playing like that on a snap-to-snap basis. The forced fumbles are impressive but who gets drafted in the 1st solely because of one stat? That's pretty much most of what he's got going for him right now, and I think if he holds his own at the combine he's a top-50, not top-32, player. And he needs a few years.
GaMeTiMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:19 PM    (permalink
DBNYDP
Veteran

DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

22.5 TFLs/16 sacks. Hardly would say the 9 FFs is the only impressive stat.
DBNYDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:28 PM    (permalink
PossibleCabbage
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaMeTiMe View Post
He's a second-round pick. Maybe, MAYBE someone trades up into the high second because they love his potential. But I don't believe the first-round hype.
Second round picks and late first rounders are pretty much the same talent tier. The guy picked 32nd and the guy picked 33rd are separated by about 18 hours and not much else.

So if you think a guy is potentially a high second round pick, one of the first round teams picking in the 30s could easily select him. There's not this huge (non-temporal) gulf between the rounds.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:57 PM    (permalink
GaMeTiMe
Veteran

GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
Second round picks and late first rounders are pretty much the same talent tier. The guy picked 32nd and the guy picked 33rd are separated by about 18 hours and not much else.

So if you think a guy is potentially a high second round pick, one of the first round teams picking in the 30s could easily select him. There's not this huge (non-temporal) gulf between the rounds.
I'm talking more in terms of grade than where he'll actually end up going - I should've said second-round prospect, not pick. Yes, plenty of early-mid second round prospects are taken from 25-32 and Mercilus could be one of those guys if a team fears he won't be there for them later in round 2. I just think what he's put on tape in his career warrants second-round consideration and any further hype to this point is seemingly unfounded.

Last edited by GaMeTiMe : 01-07-2012 at 02:59 PM.
GaMeTiMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:03 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mercilus initially made a very favorable impression this season but seems to have a lot of trouble shedding blocks and lacks a repertoire of pass rush moves. He may not be athletic enough to drop into coverage as a linebacker in a 3-4 defense and should go some time in the second round.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:06 AM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A lot of the plays were just sheer effort plays, and not him beating the OT. Michael Buchanan looked more explosive at times too.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:26 AM    (permalink
ellsy82
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBNYDP View Post
22.5 TFLs/16 sacks. Hardly would say the 9 FFs is the only impressive stat.
Exactly. I understand the whole "potential" crowd. But the guy is a beast on the football field and does so with as many would say "a limited arsenal". Imagine what he'd do with some proper coaching. This is ludicrous. He got a good grade from the NDAB for a reason. He's a good pass rusher. Reminds me of a shorter Dumervil. In fact, reminds me of James Harrison.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:08 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A shorter Dumervil??

Elvis is 5'11.