Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 01-06-2012, 12:15 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hooray. Maybe O'Brien will now replace Ferentz every year in the rumors to be moving to the NFL.

Also, Bradley for Iowa DC please. (never will happen)
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:34 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We Bought a Zook

Pure genius.

Quote:
Won't somebody help me? My team is a mess!
Coach JoePa's no more, and my woes are no less.
My team has no rudder, recruiting's the pits --
I need a new coach for my woebegone Nits.

Need a new coach? I know just where to look!
Go down to the coach store and pick up a Zook.

A Zook? What's a Zook? Young man, stop being silly.
I don't have the time to be goofy or frilly,
To engage in tomfoolery, gawking or games.
I need a top coach, not a list of fake names.

A Zook is a coach! You don't need to fret!
It's the coachiest coach that an AD can get.
He'll win here and there, he'll lose more than a few,
And after three years you can get someone new.

You dundering dud! Is your head full of air?
I don't want a coach I can fire without care.
I want the best coach that an AD can hire!
I want the next Saban, Miles, Carroll or Meyer!

You can't have a Saban, you son-of-a-dumbus!
He's in Tuscaloosa. Urban Meyer's in Columbus.
Les Miles is preparing for Title, Part Two.
Face it, ALL the good coaches have something to do.

No, you need a Zook to assume JoePa's place.
He'll sit in a seat. He'll take up some space.
Compared to JoePa, his achievements will pale.
He's too dumb to realize he's set up to fail!

Nobody can fill JoePa's shoes. That's the trouble.
They're welcome to try, they'll just end up befubbled.
A Zook can come in and take one for the team
While you keep up the search for the cream of the cream!

The cream of the cream? A football team's dream?
A Zook might be just what I need, it would seem!
The Zook will look bad when compared to ol' Joe,
But the NEXT coach will look great compared to the schmoe!

That's the ticket, my friend! Why, you're starting to cook!
You're well on your way to locating a Zook.

But where is my Zook, my disposable coach?
Are there any Big Six retreads I can poach?
An FCS no-name from AppState or Furman?
Or an NFL guy, like Chan Gailey or Sherman?

Yes! NFL! To the pros, that's the ticket!
That's where I'll find somebody lickety-splicket.
Too dull to succeed, too obscure to offend --
That's where the search for my own Zook will end.

I don't need innovation -- superficial's the key.
And Bill Belichick's staff sure looks glossy to me.
What about Bill O'Brien, New England's OC?
HE can be our caretaker for two years or three!

Bill O'Brien? That's brilliant! Your smarts are unbridled!
An interim coach in all aspects but title.
He can weather the storm of this Sandusky scandal,
Then get sent on his way once it's too much to handle!

This Zook! This Zook! This wonderful Zook!
Thank you, sir, this solution is tops in my book.
It's OK to punt when you're over a barrel.
Just regroup in three years to chase Saban or Carroll!

And there lies the lesson of this coaching search:
Don't fret when it seems you've been left in the lurch.
Just hire a nobody, a nothing, a schnook!
If you can't have a legend, you just need a Zook!

-- From the forthcoming "Oh, the Places You'll Coach!" (New York: Random House), a collection of unpublished works by Dr. Seuss. Other stories include: "What's Miffin' Lane Kiffin?"; "A Very Pleasin' Sarkisian"; "Houston Hires a Who?"; and "There's a Muschampus on My Campus."
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:39 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's an absolutely phenomenal find.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:34 PM    (permalink
Santonio10
Veteran

Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
They aren't going to keep anyone from the old staff. They have to clean house.
Not necessarily true. In order for PSU to keep this recruiting class together they need someone on the current staff to be there. If the Pats go deep into the playoffs then we don't have a head coach until after national signing day. Its already been reported that both LJ Sr. and Vanderlinden have interviewed to stay on staff and they are PSU's two best recruiters. LJ Sr. was national recruiter of the year a few years ago and Vanderinden has produced some of the best young LBs in the NFL

BoneKrusher

360 GT: iiidiiiot
Go AC Gators! 7-3 (4-2)
Santonio10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:17 AM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-Pro

Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I feel a lot better about O'Brien after that presser. Larry Johnson Sr. already confirmed to be staying, haven't announced what position he'll take. Insider tells me Bradley is offered the opportunity to come back as DC and that if he takes it, LJ Sr and Vandy will stay on in their old positions. If Bradley decides to take another job (he's got offers from other teams already), probable that LJ or Vandy will be DC. From what I'm hearing, pretty much entire defensive coaching staff are being told they are going to be able to stay if they want and that O'Brien will be putting together his own offensive staff.

sig by BoneKrusher
Grizzlegom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:12 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I approve and love that LJ is staying. Now if Vandy stays, thats the icing on the cake. It's going to be good to have an actual offense. I heard Ralph Fridge's name as a possible OC. Could be internet rumors, though.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:20 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines View Post
I approve and love that LJ is staying. Now if Vandy stays, thats the icing on the cake. It's going to be good to have an actual offense. I heard Ralph Fridge's name as a possible OC. Could be internet rumors, though.
Bradley staying would be huge.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:39 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How could Penn State allow all these people to stay? What a joke.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:53 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Why wouldn't they stay? Rape Enabling is now a major at PSU.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:28 PM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-Pro

Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I know O'Brien and Fridge are really good friends, imagine if we got him and then Danny O'Brien transferred to Penn State. That would be awesome (for those that don't know O'Brien is graduating early SUPER early and will be able to transfer without sitting a la Russell Wilson.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown
Bradley staying would be huge.
Bradley just issued a statement thanking everyone for all their support and that he loves and will always consider Penn State his home. Sounds an awful lot like a letter you send when you are leaving so I don't think he'll be back.

sig by BoneKrusher
Grizzlegom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:30 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlegom View Post
I know O'Brien and Fridge are really good friends, imagine if we got him and then Danny O'Brien transferred to Penn State. That would be awesome (for those that don't know O'Brien is graduating early SUPER early and will be able to transfer without sitting a la Russell Wilson.

Bradley just issued a statement thanking everyone for all their support and that he loves and will always consider Penn State his home. Sounds an awful lot like a letter you send when you are leaving so I don't think he'll be back.
Yeah, aside from my snarky rape enabling post, it would be huge if he stayed. You are right though, that totally reads like a retirement letter.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:49 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bradley's bro works for the Steelers. I wouldn't be surprised if he got a similar job like what Tressel got with the Colts.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:07 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Mark Whipple's name has come up for potential OC's for PSU. I think that'd be a nice little hire.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:38 PM    (permalink
dansaint
Rookie

dansaint is a cocksman.dansaint is a cocksman.dansaint is a cocksman.dansaint is a cocksman.

Have to ask because a lot of you are more knowledgeable about coaches than I am...but new Illini coach Tim Beckman is said to be bringing in Gonzalez from LSU to be the OC and Martinez from Oklahoma to be the DC. I have heard these two are really good recruiters...but what else can you tell me about them from those who know?

This is the rumored staff for Beckman:

HC: Beckman

OC/WR: Gonzales
QB/co-OC: Beatty
OL: Butkus
TE/ST/RC: Golesh
RB: Faulkner

DC/DB: Martinez
DL: Gilmore
LB: Ward
DB: McNutt

Last edited by dansaint : 01-08-2012 at 01:41 PM.
dansaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:30 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

More and more talk about Fridge coming to PSU as OC. He'd be a nice haul.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:10 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Vanderlinden is staying at PSU. Awesome.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:22 PM    (permalink
dansaint
Rookie

dansaint is a cocksman.dansaint is a cocksman.dansaint is a cocksman.dansaint is a cocksman.

Ron Zook to Auburn as DC?

http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker.html

Quote:
Sunday January 8, 2012

Auburn: Sources tell me that Auburn head coach Gene Chizik has interest in former Illinois head coach Ron Zook for the defensive coordinator position.
dansaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:20 PM    (permalink
Santonio10
Veteran

Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
They keep the best defensive line and the best linebackers coach in college football and its a joke?

BoneKrusher

Go AC Gators! 7-3 (4-2)
Old 01-08-2012, 07:21 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santonio10 View Post
They keep the best defensive line and the best linebackers coach in college football and its a joke?
Its the fact that anyone that has been a part of the Paterno era probably shouldnt be there anymore. The house needs to be cleaned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:22 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santonio10 View Post
There's more to it than football....

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:28 PM    (permalink
Santonio10
Veteran

Larry Johnson Sr. and Ron Vanderlinden had nothing to do with Sandusky. I don't believe they needed to clean house. Vandy came after Sandusky was already gone. They are getting rid of the majority of the assistants except the two that had the LEAST to do with Sandusky and are two of the best at coaching their positions so I don't see the problem with keeping them.

Not to mention they Board of Trustees said it was up to Bill O'Brien to hire whoever he wanted including those on the current staff. Yes, the same board that decided to fire Joe Paterno.

BoneKrusher

Go AC Gators! 7-3 (4-2)

Last edited by Santonio10 : 01-08-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:35 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

IIRC, LJ Sr was hired because of Sandusky. Not that it means anything or that LJ knew, I'm just saying.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:48 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The twitterverse is telling me that Ferentz has asked Tom Bradley to interview for the DC position.

Yes please.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:03 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
IIRC, LJ Sr was hired because of Sandusky. Not that it means anything or that LJ knew, I'm just saying.
I doubt LJ knew, but you'd have to think that Bradley vaguely knew that something was rotten in Denmark wrt Sandusky.

Bradley to Iowa would be a great get for Iowa. I guess the stigma would be too great at Pitt.

I also feel sorry for BC as they now have Bollman as their OL coach. By all accounts he sounds like a nice man, but he is a terrible coach.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:59 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
I doubt LJ knew, but you'd have to think that Bradley vaguely knew that something was rotten in Denmark wrt Sandusky.

Bradley to Iowa would be a great get for Iowa. I guess the stigma would be too great at Pitt.

I also feel sorry for BC as they now have Bollman as their OL coach. By all accounts he sounds like a nice man, but he is a terrible coach.
I would love to get Bradley, but I'm not sure how much more these rumors are other than Ferentz asking him to interview. If I had to guess, I would think he goes to Pitt if nothing else than because I believe he lives there or close.

Everyone expects Iowa to just promote our current DB coach Phil Parker (no relation to Norm). He has filled in the last couple years when Norm was out, and Kirk is very loyal/hates change, so won't be surprised if it's him. But he hasn't announced it yet, and our season has been over for almost 2 weeks, so there's hope...