Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

View Poll Results: Who deserves to play LSU in the BS BCS Title game?
Alabama, rematch, they're probably the best team 21 31.82%
Oklahoma State has earned it 29 43.94%
Blow up the whole BcS system and install a legit playoff like all other football has! 16 24.24%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 08:05 AM    (permalink
JHL6719
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Capstone
Posts: 1,068
Reputation: 89136
JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
You are smoking some serious crack if you think 4-5 sec teams could win the Pac12 every year. It's hard to take you seriously after reading that ridiculous statement. The SEC East champ lost to freaking Boise State at home this season.

You need to recalibrate your fitbawl meter.

At the national level, I am not a fan of no defense football, so I understand the lack of Pac-12 respect, but that is just silly.

Statements like yours are why there needs to be a playoff, maybe or maybe not one that takes winners of conferences, but one that is at least 8 strong, preferably 16.

Every other division of college football does this, so I don't see why it's a big deal wrt a time commitment. D3 has a 32 team playoff. D2 is 24. FCS is 20.

Those schools play a few less regular season games, but you just have to go back to an 11 game schedule and all is good.

Georgia isn't good. They played one of the weakest SEC schedules in the past 50 years. They didn't have to face LSU, Bama, or Arkansas from the West. Their 10-2 record in the SEC was misleading, and LSU showed them why. Hell, South Carolina showed them why.

Michigan St. won their conference last year in a 3 way split. Alabama finished 4th or 5th in the SEC and blew them out 49-7. The only reason it was that close was due to Bama playing 3rd stringers in the second half.

The 5th best team in the SEC this year (South Carolina) completely dismantled the ACC Champion (Clemson).

LSU has already blown out the Pac-10 Champion and Big-East Champion.


The "win your conference" argument is totally irrelevant because all conferences aren't equal, and until all conferences are playing a conference championship game, it's that much more irrelevant.

Winning your conference will never be part of the equation in a playoff format or the BCS for one reason. Notre Dame.
JHL6719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:44 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 13,731
Reputation: 4443210
jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

The common thought is that Oklahoma State plays absolutely no defense. The usual evidence is that they are ranked 107 or whatever in total defense. But they are much better is other aspects of defense.

51st in yards per play- Maybe they give up so many yards because their offense is so good and scores so quickly that their defense is on the field more, thus giving up more yards.

8th in Passing Efficiency Defense, ahead of all SEC teams except Alabama, South Carolina, LSU, and Georgia. What is even more impressive is the fact that 7 of the QBs OSU faced were in the top 50 in efficiency. Alabama faced 2, one being the horrible John Brantley who somehow ranked 41st.

2nd in interceptions and turnover margin. Where does Alabama rank in those categories? 48th and 24th.

Oklahoma State also has more sacks than Alabama.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:55 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,578
Reputation: 2303457
JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
The common thought is that Oklahoma State plays absolutely no defense. The usual evidence is that they are ranked 107 or whatever in total defense. But they are much better is other aspects of defense.

51st in yards per play- Maybe they give up so many yards because their offense is so good and scores so quickly that their defense is on the field more, thus giving up more yards.

8th in Passing Efficiency Defense, ahead of all SEC teams except Alabama, South Carolina, LSU, and Georgia. What is even more impressive is the fact that 7 of the QBs OSU faced were in the top 50 in efficiency. Alabama faced 2, one being the horrible John Brantley who somehow ranked 41st.

2nd in interceptions and turnover margin. Where does Alabama rank in those categories? 48th and 24th.

Oklahoma State also has more sacks than Alabama.
Oklahoma State is ranked something like 81 in rush defense. Guess what Alabama and LSU do well?
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:08 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,506
Reputation: 1503744
Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
Oklahoma State is ranked something like 81 in rush defense. Guess what Alabama and LSU do well?
Three and outs and punts?
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:14 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Green Bay , WI
Posts: 7,477
Reputation: 130821
49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

this rematch is still BULL ShITT . It needs to be another team like OKSU or even Stanford to really put Luck in a test against the SEC. I'm just really bummed about this whole bcs crap this year. I get sec is all powerfull but come on man . We don't need a two team NC title game . Just not right . I was just wondering if this has ever happen in college football before ?
__________________
49erNation85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:34 PM    (permalink
JHL6719
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Capstone
Posts: 1,068
Reputation: 89136
JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
The common thought is that Oklahoma State plays absolutely no defense. The usual evidence is that they are ranked 107 or whatever in total defense. But they are much better is other aspects of defense.

51st in yards per play- Maybe they give up so many yards because their offense is so good and scores so quickly that their defense is on the field more, thus giving up more yards.

8th in Passing Efficiency Defense, ahead of all SEC teams except Alabama, South Carolina, LSU, and Georgia. What is even more impressive is the fact that 7 of the QBs OSU faced were in the top 50 in efficiency. Alabama faced 2, one being the horrible John Brantley who somehow ranked 41st.

2nd in interceptions and turnover margin. Where does Alabama rank in those categories? 48th and 24th.

Oklahoma State also has more sacks than Alabama.


Okie Light gives up so many yards because their defense can't get off the field. They're 70th in allowing opponents to convert 3rd downs.

Texas A&M has more sacks than LSU... which defense would you rather face? Texas A&M has one of the worst defenses in the country.

Watch how many points Okie Light's offense scores while they're standing on the sideline watching Stanford pound the rock down their defenses throat.
JHL6719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:35 PM    (permalink
JHL6719
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Capstone
Posts: 1,068
Reputation: 89136
JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Force Three and outs and punts?

*Edited for Accuracy*
JHL6719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:37 PM    (permalink
JHL6719
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Capstone
Posts: 1,068
Reputation: 89136
JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
this rematch is still BULL ShITT . It needs to be another team like OKSU or even Stanford to really put Luck in a test against the SEC. I'm just really bummed about this whole bcs crap this year. I get sec is all powerfull but come on man . We don't need a two team NC title game . Just not right . I was just wondering if this has ever happen in college football before ?

What? A rematch?
JHL6719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:46 AM    (permalink
JHL6719
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Capstone
Posts: 1,068
Reputation: 89136
JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
You are completely wrong. Oklahoma State had the harder schedule. Let's compare wins. BCS rankings in parenthesis:

(6) Arkansas vs. (8) Kansas State: Advantage Alabama
(21) Penn State vs. (13) Baylor: Advantage OK State
(26) Auburn vs. (16) Oklahoma: Advantage OK State
(43) Mississippi State vs. (24) Texas: Advantage OK State
(44) Florida vs. (25) Missouri: Advantage OK State
(49) Vanderbilt vs. (29) Texas A&M: Advantage OK State
(57) Tennessee vs. (41) Tulsa: Advantage OK State
(94) North Texas vs. (47) Texas Tech: Advantage OK State
(95) Mississippi vs. (63) UL-Lafayette: Advantage OK State
(96) Kent State vs. (71) Arizona: Advantage OK State
(UN) Georgia Southern (72 in Sagarin Rankings) vs. (79) Kansas: Push

So Alabama's best win is slightly better than OK State's best win. And Alabama's loss is better than OK State's. But that doesn't not make up for the fact that Alabama's victories came against teams with an average ranking of 54 (56 if you include Georgia Southern) compared to 38 for OK State.

Edit: I just realized I was looking at 2010 rankings rather than 2011 rankings when talking about Georgia Southern. Sagarin actually has GSU ranked 80th, not 72nd, which makes things look even worse for Alabama.




Kansas State almost lost to a pathetic Miami team. Okay I'll give you that. Arkansas had to come from behind to beat an average Vanderbilt team and a pathetic Ole Miss team. Arkansas just isn't that good.

And if you look at things objectively, the Iowa State loss isn't as bad as people think. Yes, Iowa State lost six games. But to whom? (24) Texas, (13) Baylor, (25) Missouri, (29) Texas A&M, (16) Oklahoma State, and (8) Kansas State. That is a tough schedule. Iowa State is ranked 32. Let's not try to make it seem like OK State lost to Florida Atlantic. They lost to a team slightly better than Florida. Had Alabama's loss been to Florida, you guys would be screaming "Oh the SEC is so good! Every game is tough." But since it's the Big 12, you brush it off like it's a terrible loss.

They're better than Kansas St.
JHL6719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:53 AM    (permalink
JHL6719
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Capstone
Posts: 1,068
Reputation: 89136
JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
LSU beat Alabama AT ALABAMA!!!!!! They are the better team. We don't need another game to determine this. LSU has not played OK State. If LSU beat OK State, it would be obvious. LSU number one. Alabama number two. I OK State beat LSU, it would be obvious. OK state number one. LSU number 2. Alabama number three.

You just aren't getting this. If Alabama beats LSU by a small margin, how can you say categorically they are number one. Even if Bama won, I think I would still vote LSU number one because they won on the road against Alabama. The BCS is meant to categorically prove who number one is. The rematch will not do this, no matter what the outcome is.


Obviously.


Furthermore, Oklahoma St. should've lost to Stanford if the little freshman kicker simply makes a chip shot field goal.
JHL6719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:02 AM    (permalink
JHL6719
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Capstone
Posts: 1,068
Reputation: 89136
JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
It isn't clear at all that Alabama is number 2. OSU has better wins and more wins against good teams. Iowa State is not a below average team. They are ranked 32 in the BCS. That is better than 8 of the teams Alabama played.

If Oklahoma State loses to Stanford, I will gladly come back and say I was wrong. If SEC blows through the bowl season with a 7-2 record. I'll admit that the SEC, even in their weakest season in a while, is still the best team. But OK State wins by a healthy margin and if the SEC finishes the bowl season 4-5 like I expect, I hope you guys will do the same. Admit that maybe Oklahoma State could have competed with LSU. Admit that maybe, just maybe, top-to-bottom, the SEC isn't the best this season.

But I think this argument has stalled. My facts, statistics, and rankings are not going to convince you because you are dead set in the belief that the SEC is the best. And you saying the SEC is the best because they just pass the eye ball test is not going to convince me because living in the heart of SEC country, I have seen far too many completely inept Florida, Vanderbilt, Auburn, and Tennessee games this year to call that a great conference.


Oklahoma St. should have lost to Stanford.


The SEC went 5-2 during bowl games against other conferences. Only Georgia and Vanderbilt lost (and very easily could've won both games).

Bama and LSU obviously cancel each other out since they were playing each other.

The Big-12 went 0-1 against the SEC in bowl games.
JHL6719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:06 AM    (permalink
JHL6719
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Capstone
Posts: 1,068
Reputation: 89136
JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
I don't care if their bell cows are sucking. Once again, who was good in previous years has no bearing on this season. FSU used to be the bell cow in the ACC, they suck now. UCLA used to be great. They suck now. It doesn't mean the conference is bad. It just means times have changed.

But like I said. If the SEC dominates in the bowl season, I will gladly come in here and bow at the feet of the almighty SEC.

Get your nose away from the almighty feet.
JHL6719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.