Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:17 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Is Eli Manning on the same level as his brother?

Took him a lot less time to win a Super Bowl. There shouldn't be an elite quarterback controversy anymore regarding him. And his road wins in the playoffs have been pretty impressive. What does he have to do to surpass his brother's legacy? Or has that been done already? He doesn't have as many 12-4 records like Manning has had every season, but he plays very well in the playoffs. Doesn't have that "choker" mantra that Peyton had for so long earlier in his career.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:18 PM    (permalink
Bulldogs
All-Pro

Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think he's as good. Has a better defense and arguably just as good a receiving core too. It's kind of close, but Peyton to me is one of the top 3 QBs of all time.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:19 PM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Eli is one hell of a QB, but no he's not his bro.
bigbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:20 PM    (permalink
Basileus777
All-Pro

Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you want to talk about the post-season, then you could compare their performances given how many times Peyton has disappointed there. But overall, Eli isn't really in the same ballpark as his brother.
Basileus777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:21 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Normally, I'd say no, but I have to wonder how good Peyton will be in 2012.

Clearly, Eli is playing his best football and Peyton is come off a lost year... I think they are a lot closer to equal than ever before. I'd even say I think Eli = Peyton.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:22 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not as good as him but 10x more clutch currently.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:30 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogs View Post
I don't think he's as good. Has a better defense and arguably just as good a receiving core too. It's kind of close, but Peyton to me is one of the top 3 QBs of all time.
Whenever I think of Peyton, I think of his greatness, but then I think a lot of his early struggles in his career. I'm not sure if a lot of people remember. Just like Matt Ryan, he was 0-3 in the postseason to start his career. And then the Patriots wall came, and the dome team identity, etc. I don't think of that with Eli. That being said, ability-wise, Peyton is better. In terms of coming through on the big stage? I don't know.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:31 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think a lot of people believed Eli has always been a fringe top 10 player. He's not lights out statistically but he can still put the ball where he wants and he's super clutch.

If anyone doesn't consider him right with the elite players (even if he's definitely the bottom of those elite) then they haven't been paying enough attention.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:34 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eli is amazing but no where near Peyton. With that being said he's better when it matters.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Basileus777
All-Pro

Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The OP makes it sound like we are comparing careers/legacy, not which QB is better now. Peyton is one of the greatest of all time, Eli has a long way to go to be in that company.
Basileus777 is offline   Reply With Quote
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No.

Too many mistakes, plays with a better team so its not just him.

Just no.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:48 PM    (permalink
jsagan77
Veteran

jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77

I don't think so. He's good, but he's not and probably won't ever be on Peytons level.
jsagan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:48 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
No.

Too many mistakes, plays with a better team so its not just him.

Just no.
Peyton and Eli both have 1 ring, Peyton played on a team that had a higher skill level for about a decade.

Eli is much better in the playoffs and it is very possible he will be playing for another Super Bowl.

Eli is a ******* boss.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
Old 01-15-2012, 08:01 PM    (permalink
MI_Buckeye
Veteran

MI_Buckeye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MI_Buckeye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MI_Buckeye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MI_Buckeye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MI_Buckeye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MI_Buckeye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MI_Buckeye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MI_Buckeye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MI_Buckeye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MI_Buckeye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MI_Buckeye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In terms of lifetime achievement and/or measuring each player in their prime, it's Peyton hands down. However, going into the 2012 season, I would prefer Eli.
MI_Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:04 PM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's funny, Peyton is just flat out better as a player but I needed to win one playoff game, I'm probably going with Eli. No doubt in my mind that Peyton has struggled in the playoffs and is not a "clutch" QB. Eli still makes a lot of awful throws and is probably a bit too aggressive with the ball, but he also has a killer instinct and track record that is hard to argue with in the playoffs.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:11 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Peytons better but...Eli could end up with more rings so that's all tha tmatters in the end
Old 01-15-2012, 08:37 PM    (permalink
BuddyCHRIST
Veteran

BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's not as good, but with so many QB's approaching that discussion all time its time to start comparing them differently.

He might be the calmest/most collected QB in the league. He has absolutely no fear about going onto the road and playing a great team. He does some dumb ass things sometimes, sometimes for an entire season. But he obviously prepares very well and is an excellent leader.
BuddyCHRIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:49 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In all honesty, I said it earlier this season, but I said if Eli was in a different offensive system a lot more people would consider this to be the case. Brees threw the ball 60+ times yesterday for instance, when has Eli done that, or even come close? The offense is conservative, they don't throw to the TE much, they try and run the ball even when they shouldn't, especially in the red zone, etc.

Eli has pretty much won my respect while I admittedly wasn't his biggest fan. He's very clutch, he owned the Pack on 3rd down, and I'm almost positive he'll win more SB's then Peyton. Peyton owned the regular season, I think when it's over and done Eli will be viewed as the better clutch & playoff QB.

Still though, overall talent as a QB, Eli is playing on the level of Peyton right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:51 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No, but right now he is playing at an elite level with no damn running game. Our identity isn't like all these passing teams. At our optimal level, we'd rather be running first or balanced. That's where we want to be. I personally hate it, but right now HE IS THE TEAM. He has been ALL season long!
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:25 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodBrother View Post
Peytons better but...Eli could end up with more rings so that's all tha tmatters in the end
Unless you're Trent Difler then you are a sack of ******* **** who got carried to the super bowl and tries to judge everyone else because his defense and Jamal the cocaine dealer Lewis carried his ass to victory.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:24 PM    (permalink
Rodgrsh8scancrpatients
Rookie

Rodgrsh8scancrpatients Rodgrsh8scancrpatients Rodgrsh8scancrpatients Rodgrsh8scancrpatients Rodgrsh8scancrpatients Rodgrsh8scancrpatients Rodgrsh8scancrpatients Rodgrsh8scancrpatients Rodgrsh8scancrpatients Rodgrsh8scancrpatients Rodgrsh8scancrpatients

eli 3rd most clutch qb in league behind great ben roethlisberger and tammy brady.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:30 PM    (permalink
crossroads
Rookie

crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogitalia View Post
It's funny, Peyton is just flat out better as a player but I needed to win one playoff game, I'm probably going with Eli. No doubt in my mind that Peyton has struggled in the playoffs and is not a "clutch" QB. Eli still makes a lot of awful throws and is probably a bit too aggressive with the ball, but he also has a killer instinct and track record that is hard to argue with in the playoffs.
This is pretty much how I feel. Peyton probably is more talented and is the better QB, but Eli right now might be the best big-game QB in the league. Dude's ******* clutch.
crossroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:30 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Peyton had the Defense that Eli has had the past few years, he'd have more than one ring. I'm not saying Eli is being carried by his team, but he's probably getting more help from the rest of his team than Peyton has.

WMD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:37 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
If Peyton had the Defense that Eli has had the past few years, he'd have more than one ring. I'm not saying Eli is being carried by his team, but he's probably getting more help from the rest of his team than Peyton has.
I like this way of thinking. Outside of Mathis, Freeney and Sanders, there hasn't been a whole lot of star power on the Colts. Compare that to the Giants who have had maybe the best defensive line in the league for a while now and Eli certainly gets more help.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:38 PM    (permalink
DBNYDP
Veteran

DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think there is something wrong with the whole well whoever has more rings is the better player. It's hard to compare because Eli has always had a much better team. As far as clutchness goes, I'm not even sure of that anymore. My big problem is that Peyton has to shoulder the burden for the whole season and every whole playoff game. He didn't have amazing running games or amazing defenses to take the pressure off or make up for his poor play generally. I'd also say that while he has had some great receivers, his receivers never really shouldered the burden and made up for poor play with that many incredible plays. Yes without a doubt Eli has gotten it done in crunch time, but he has not had to shoulder the burden like Peyton. I cannot help but wonder what would happen if you gave Peyton Manning the teams that Eli has played on, a team where he wasn't relied upon so much. I think there is a good chance if that happened he would be just as good if not better than Eli in the clutch. Football is a team sport, the only thing a win or a lose tells us is which team was better, not necessarily who is the better QB.

That being said I think Eli really backed up his statement from the summer. He's an elite QB, and I'd put him right behind Manning/Brady/Brees/Rodgers in terms of QBs today.
DBNYDP is offline   Reply With Quote