Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 01-19-2012, 08:53 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is Vollmer playing? If so, Our 3 TE set with Solder helping on Suggs, will alow us to take some shots down field.
We have to be the only team that can go 3TE with the idea of throwing 20+ yds to 3 different targets. I love it.

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:26 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Vollmer could play and that could be a good use of him....but I hope we don't have to. The fewer receivers we have, the more it favors the Ravens. They would love to box us up and punch us in the mouth. I think it could catch them off guard for a bit, but they have the personnel to play that way better than we do.

Vollmer makes me nervous too. Tough task to come back for the first time in over a month and face this kind of defense.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:59 AM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I could see us using the TEs to chip Suggs on practically every play. That should help neutralize their pass rush.
Yeah I agree. It's something we were not able to do and get any TE open last time.

The OL consistently says Gronk is like another tackle out there blocking. I think Hern in the seam and welker intermediate middle will have big games if that happens. LB/S comes up on Gronk as he releases will leave alot of open space in the middle of the field.
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
BradysKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:31 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What do you all think of my draft class in the forum mock?

40. CB Chase Minnifield, Virginia

46. DT Brandon Thompson, Clemson

49. DE Andre Branch, Clemson

51. Traded for Dallas' 2013 first-round pick

78. WR Jeff Fuller, Texas A&M

83. C Ben Jones, Georgia

There's still one pick remaining, number 111 overall.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:37 PM    (permalink
Oilers4ever
Rookie

Oilers4ever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post

83. C Ben Jones, Georgia

Love the Ben Jones pick. I think he's a sleeper. He might need some time to get stronger. He started a ton of games for my Dawgs.
Oilers4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:03 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

83. C Ben Jones, Georgia

I really dislike Brandon Thompson, and especially in the 3-4. I think he's grossly overrated and I'm positive that we won't pick him. Other than that I like it a lot. Fuller might be a slight reach, but I like him as a player and I like his upside. He gives Brady a big, physical target that can work the intermediate routes. Minnifield is kinda "meh" for me, and Branch is a steal and a great fit at 49. Love the Dallas trade. Ben Jones at 83 would be dreamy as well.

EDIT: But for the perfect Patriots draft: See sig :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:34 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm pretty down on Minnifield. Good player, but he just feels a little bit too much like the guys we've drafted at that position for me to be comfortable with. I don't know. Maybe the idea of us drafting a defensive back again is just a little horrifying.

Thompson isn't a guy who I see as being a good fit here, 3-4 or 4-3. Limited amount of value there. Not sure what the board was like, but I would rather wait on a defensive linemen than draft him there.

I like Branch quite a bit. He really showed up this year after being a little overhyped previously. It still feels like there's something missing there, but the chance to add a good athlete to our front seven and see if we can get him to develop a bit is exciting. Especially at that spot.

Not a big fan of Fuller. I don't see the ability to separate from defensive backs on a consistent basis in the NFL. Decent pair of hands, but I've seen him drop passes too. Questionable worth ethic as well. Really disappeared in a lot of games this year.

Jones is a good pick and a solid value there. He really seems to be getting a lot more play as people go back and watch film on centers. He's not my favorite guy in the class, but he's a pretty good bet to be a starting caliber guy in the NFL and an upgrade over Connolly.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 01-19-2012, 08:01 PM    (permalink
Vaylor
Rookie

Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm pretty down on Minnifield. Good player, but he just feels a little bit too much like the guys we've drafted at that position for me to be comfortable with. I don't know. Maybe the idea of us drafting a defensive back again is just a little horrifying.
You don't want the Patriots to draft a safety? I could see them taking Minnifield and moving him to that spot.
Vaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:14 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

It's more the idea of drafting any DB early that scares me, to be honest. We've been burned so bad on these guys. It's the only real way to fix our passing defense though, so it has to be done.

But **** the draft, playoff game. Brady participated fully in practice today, which is good news. The rest of it is pretty much the same. Still hoping for the best with those Hernandez and Solder's concussions.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 01-19-2012, 10:02 PM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After watching both AFC playoff games a few times I gotta say the biggest concern I have is Rice running routes out of the backfield and of course the deep ball. We're going to get burned by each of these a few times.

Offensively, I really think Danny Woodhead and Welker are primed for big days.
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
BradysKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:42 AM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rice is worrisome and historically he's done well against us. However, last year after the Ravens were up 20-10 Pats made some adjustments (spying Ninkovich I think) and shut him down. I'm concerned about their tight ends. I'd rather not rely on the other team dropping passes, which has killed the Ravens this year.

I agree on Welker. With all the focus- and rightly so -on the TEs, Welker is in position for a huge day. The beginning of this game is going to be very telling. If our offense can get some first downs and start dictating the pace, it will put more pressure on their offense to keep pace - and in that scenario we gain the advantage.

Bernard Pollard has been calling Brady 'pretty boy'. Guess Suggs handed over the baton - but I don't think that's too bright, Mr. Pollard.

Because, you know, Tom Brady.
Blackluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:50 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So...looks like I'll be going to my second ever Pats game next year :)

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:00 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
So...looks like I'll be going to my second ever Pats game next year :)
Yeah... I contemplating whether to go or not, mostly because of financial reasons. I don't know if I'll get a job when I finish my education this august, I'm moving in with my gf in a couple which is costing me a ******* fortune plus we're going to Australia later in the year.. But I'm hoping that I can find the money to go see this game even though it should be a blowout.

Quote:
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:13 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If the Patriots win Tom Brady will have his 16th playoff win (tied with Joe Montana) in 21 games (Montana played in 23).

This could setup a Super Bowl with the 49ers, Brady's childhood team and Montana's former team. So, Brady's 4th Super Bowl and 17th playoff win (NFL record) could come in a fairly story laden fashion.

Obviously, the Ravens won't want to be the team that lets Brady tie the record though.

If Brady does start the SB, it will be his 22nd playoff game started, 2 behind Favre.

Brady is 9 passing touchdowns behind Joe Montana for most all time (playoffs). That record will likely have to wait for the 2012 season.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:03 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just made my fourth-round selection: SS Harrison Smith, Notre Dame.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:14 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Some thoughts on each pick:

The safety class this year wasn't very appealing at the top and so drafting a cornerback became the best option for upgrading the secondary. Minnifield has length, fluidity, and swagger and projects as an outside starter opposite Ras-I Dowling.

The appeal of staying in a 4-3 front became apparent early on while reviewing for the draft; not many players fit into New England's 3-4 front. Thompson has a devastating bull rush and uses it to push the pocket and command double teams, complimenting Wilfork well inside.

Branch emerged as a pass rusher this year but most impressive is the way he plays the run; he sets a hard edge, anchors well against offensive tackles, and does a great job of maintaining backside contain. His size (6'5", 260) and experience out of both two and three-point stances made him a no-brainer.

Didn't love the value on the board at this point; Jeff Fuller would have been the pick if it proved impossible to move. This trade also resulted in a move from pick 129 to pick 111.

Love his size, strength, and bloodlines. Taylor Price failed in New England because he couldn't beat press coverage; Fuller consistently beat the press against Patrick Peterson in the 2010 Cotton Bowl. A big, physical jump ball threat with blocking skills would give New England's receiving corps a new dimension.

83. C Ben Jones, Georgia

What stands out about Jones is how much he loves playing football; tough as nails with a killer instinct and a nonstop motor. Jones has put together 48 straight starts in college and does a nice job of making blocks on the move and reaching linebackers at the second level.

111. SS Harrison Smith, Notre Dame

Drafting Minnifield meant Devin McCourty would be seeing a lot of snaps at safety but depth was still needed. Smith plays the game with great instincts and aggression; his work ethic is obvious from his anticipation and build. This pick gives the defense the flexibility to play McCourty at cornerback while still retaining two quality safeties.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:22 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I'm curious as to why you're high on Brandon Thompson and down on Fletcher Cox. Neither of them are great fits if we're looking to move back to a 3-4(for different reasons), but Cox's quickness could be an asset in pass rush situations off the edge. More of an effective pass rusher inside in a 4-3 as well. Thompson would be an upgrade over what we have here right now(outside of Wilfork), but he wouldn't add a whole lot in terms of diversifying personnel.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 01-20-2012, 01:35 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Didn't love the value on the board at this point; Jeff Fuller would have been the pick if it proved impossible to move. This trade also resulted in a move from pick 129 to pick 111.
A late second netted a future first and 18 draft spots in the 4th? Who did that person want to way overpay that badly?

Quote:
I'm curious as to why you're high on Brandon Thompson and down on Fletcher Cox. Neither of them are great fits if we're looking to move back to a 3-4(for different reasons), but Cox's quickness could be an asset in pass rush situations off the edge. More of an effective pass rusher inside in a 4-3 as well. Thompson would be an upgrade over what we have here right now(outside of Wilfork), but he wouldn't add a whole lot in terms of diversifying personnel.
Yeah. I don't really care much for this DL class either. There are guys I love (Brockers for example), but there are a lot of guys I just don't feel fit any scheme the Patriots try to run (at least enough to make them first round picks).

As much as I don't really care for him, Donta Hightower seems like a premium candidate for a first round Belichick pick.

Last edited by descendency : 01-20-2012 at 01:39 PM.
descendency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:41 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Cox is more athletic than Thompson but is strictly a one-gap player. His greatest strength is shooting through gaps to disrupt the backfield, but he has no responsibility for a second gap. His anchor is weak and he is easily eliminated from plays when double teamed. Cox also gets knocked off-balance fairly easily and ends up on the ground way too much. Thompson is more of a traditional two-gap player who can walk single defenders back easily with his bull rush; offensive guards look like blocking sleds. Thompson is very stout against the run and blocking him requires two men at all times. The pass rush upside isn't as high but four sacks a year could reasonably be expected; Thompson is a better prospect than former Tiger Jarvis Jenkins, who went number 41 overall last year. Cox would be a better fit for a 3-4 which values one-gap rushing.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:49 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I just don't see Thompson being as big of an impact player as a guy like Cox would. Both are flawed from a fit perspective and I would rather take a hypothetical player who combines the best of both skillsets, but we already have guys who can collapse the pocket and play inside in an odd front.

Cox's issues are pretty coachable too. He's has great natural strength and long arms. He's not completely hopeless as a two gap guy.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 01-20-2012, 02:35 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have zero faith in any Clemson player. Period. Wouldn't even touch one with someone else's hand. You drafted two at two of the four major need areas on the team. You have to also keep in mind that, for some reason, Scott Wright has a horrible history of WAY over-hyping Clemson players (don't know where it comes from).

You made some profitable trades, but maybe should have just gone ahead and made the pick on at least one. I understand trading out of the first first round pick with Barron gone, but with Mercilus and Curry both there at #32...I'd make that pick.

I really like Minnifield. I think he's going to be a boss in the NFL and would be a really nice fit in New England. I also like where you landed Harrison Smith.

Last edited by nepg : 01-20-2012 at 05:14 PM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:38 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Two main things about those selections:

1. Brandon Thompson I don't like. You stated he has a devastating bull rush and commands double teams complimenting VW. So does Kyle Love who has been great this year. I would not be against staying away from DT's whether we stay in the 43 or go back to the 34.

2. How the hell did Ben Jones last to 83. Pure value pick there and no arguements at all.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:49 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I think what it comes down to is that when I watch us play defense, I never think to myself "man, if only we had another guy who was incredibly stout to play inside". We have guys who can do that to an effective level already. At a certain point, we're going to have to compromise our philosophy(which is in flux right now as is) in order to get high level NFL players who can compliment the rest of our roster. We pick way too low year to year to be able to achieve that otherwise.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 01-21-2012, 11:38 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

Apparently Mr. 85's father has passed and he was in Florida for the funeral. He will likely be inactive this week.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:42 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Damn. That's terrible news. I understand if he's inactive but I'd love to see a Favre-type performance.
What I mean by that is 2 rec and 1 TD from him... that'd be awesome after a one snap performance

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote