Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-25-2012, 03:55 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm glad I found this thread. As a Rams fan, I have been wanting to discuss the possibility of trading down and adding some pieces, as we have a lot of needs. After reading a lot here, I would like to add my own $.02.

Mike Holmgren is a borderline egomaniac. I live in Seattle and saw how he built the Seahawks. He was actually stripped of his GM duties because it was overwhelming him. I do think he can build a good team, but he will require a lot of time and it will be dependent on whether or not ownership has enough patience.

Holmgren actually inherited a pretty talented offensive team in Seattle. The big holes were on defense. However, Holmgren admittedly knows little about defense. So rather than beefing up the defense to be competitive now, he completely dismantled the offense and started over with his own guys. Holmgren would rather lose with his own guys than with with a team that someone else assembled. Which, I guess, would make Cleveland the perfect spot for him.

There has been a lot of talk here about signing players through free agency, especially Matt Flynn. First and foremost, if the Matt Flynn we saw in the season finale is who he really is as a player, then Joe Philbin knows it and it would seem a foregone conclusion that he would follow him to Miami. No offense to Browns fans; personally I would prefer to live in the birthplace of pro football, but to most players around the league South Florida is a much more desirable place to play.

Cleveland is in an Easter basket that someone conveniently crapped in, along with a handful of other teams - St. Louis, Arizona, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Washington, Minnesota - that no one really wants to play for. There are some very nice places among these teams, but they all have one thing in common: they lack direction and are consistently changing coaches and systems. Arizona had the Super Bowl a few years back and seems to be working its way out. Detroit seems to be out for now, but it remains to be seen whether or not they are for real for good. In any case, if you have your choice between a contender and a wanna-be, you are going to choose the contender every time. These teams will not attract great free agents until the team shows it can win, unless said team overpays up the kazoo. (See Washington). It's a double edged sword; we need the players to become legitimate, but we can't get the players until we are legitimate, because no one believes that we are really going to be serious this time, and probably rightly so.

Another thing to consider is that the Browns' WCO is more traditional than most and is becoming obsolete in the eyes of many. There was a time when no one could defend it, but now it is old hat. It is not dynamic or exciting, although it can still be effective. Still, who really wants to go be a part of that? If I'm a big time FA receiver like Vincent Jackson or Desean Jackson it doesn't excite me a whole bunch.

I think that Browns fans are totally underestimating the amount of interest that there will be in RGIII, and if I am correct, then the cost of such a trade goes up significantly. Washington will almost certainly be a big player, as Mike Shanahan's job depends on him doing SOMETHING NOW. Kansas City has a lot of talent and a very mediocre QB. Seattle and Arizona both need QB's, although a trade within the division seems unlikely. If Flynn were to go to one of those two teams then Miami becomes a player. I would be surprised if the trade goes down for much less than a pair of 1's and another early round pick. I'm not saying that it is worth that on the value chart; but when the bidding war is on, it's on. I think one thing that has been lost on RGIII is that he very well could be the Michael Vick that everyone had HOPED he would become...the dynamic playmaker with a cannon arm who can kill you with accuracy and destroy you on the ground. While he is a completely different player than Luck, this guy is almost certainly stirring the imaginations of many an offensive coordinator.
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote