Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 02-01-2012, 08:02 AM    (permalink
the_dark_knight
Veteran

the_dark_knight hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Isiah Pead, RB, Cincinnati

I love this guy as a playmaker, he's got a lot of ability and can be that Sprolesish type back imo. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's on Sproles' level as an actual RB, but as a threat, I think he's going to make some team very happy.

How high do you think his draft stock will go after the combine where he looks to put up some very good numbers.

To me he's not the shiftiest back, but he appears to have good vision, good hands, and speed to burn. To me Atlanta would be wise to pick up a guy like Pead, as the backs on ATL's roster are all a little bit slow, not that Turner and Quizz can't play, just lack that severe homerun ability. Sure Turner broke some long runs again this year, but on all but 1 he was run down, and the only 1 he wasn't, was because the effort of the WRs to keep him clean.
the_dark_knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:31 AM    (permalink
bitonti
DraftBathroom.com
Veteran

bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

it's an interesting question, if he runs really well he could go in the late 2nd or 3rd. but there are other similar backs like Lamichael James and Ronnie Hillman who could run faster. Sproles was what a 4th rounder back in the day? that's probably about Pead's value. wherever he goes he should have a solid NFL career as a change of pace back/returner. the Jets could use this player. they had Jim Leonard returning punts last year.

Why Me? The Bob Lamonta Story

bitonti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:59 AM    (permalink
batsandgats
Rookie

batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I bet the Vikings take him as a chance of pace guy. That way if Peterson can't come back they will split carries between him and Gerhart.
batsandgats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:07 PM    (permalink
norcalgsr
Veteran

norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsandgats View Post
I bet the Vikings take him as a chance of pace guy. That way if Peterson can't come back they will split carries between him and Gerhart.
Vikings already have Jordan Todman.
norcalgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:22 PM    (permalink
Big Bird
Rookie

Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've said it plenty of times before, Pead has a very similar style to Arian Foster. Pead has been quite underrated for sometime now. He belongs in the 2nd Round.
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:45 PM    (permalink
batsandgats
Rookie

batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalgsr View Post
Vikings already have Jordan Todman.
I don't think he will affect their draft descisions
Old 02-01-2012, 02:19 PM    (permalink
the_dark_knight
Veteran

the_dark_knight hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
I've said it plenty of times before, Pead has a very similar style to Arian Foster. Pead has been quite underrated for sometime now. He belongs in the 2nd Round.
You really think he's got a 2nd round value? I mean, I watched Arian Foster at UT, and I was screaming for him every round past round 2, I thought he was going to be a steal, turns out I actually got something right about the draft lol.

But, with a guy like Pead I don't see the same stature and the build to hold up to being a "primary" back in the NFL. I think the guys who have potential to be a primary back are the ones who get drafted in rounds 1 and 2 now a days, since there are just so many RBs around right now, it's not as difficult to manufacture a good rushing attack, or simulated one with short passes etc.

For me this year as a Falcons fan I wouldn't take him in the 2nd, simply because that's our first pick this year, I don't hold him in that high of a regard, I was hoping the general feeling would be a 4th round guy. I agree that James being out there may help his stock fall a little bit, but I wouldn't be *shocked* to see him out perform James in some of the combine tests. I'm not banking on it, but regardless what he runs in the 40, he's not losing speed on the field.
the_dark_knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:44 PM    (permalink
norcalgsr
Veteran

norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
Pead : 5-9, 193 VS Foster: 6-1, 226. They couldn't be any more different and it starts with size.

Pead looks like a 4.4 guy while Foster is a 4.6 guy.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:45 PM    (permalink
rickscott
Veteran

rickscott hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Having played his entire career at UC, I think he could be looked at as a great replacement for Bernard Scott on the Bengals as a 3rd down back since he is a better receiver out of the backfiueld and a pretty good return guy too.
rickscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:07 PM    (permalink
norcalgsr
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsandgats View Post
I don't think he will affect their draft descisions
If that's the case then the Lions should draft Pead to replace Best because that's who he reminds me of most.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:40 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickscott View Post
Having played his entire career at UC, I think he could be looked at as a great replacement for Bernard Scott on the Bengals as a 3rd down back since he is a better receiver out of the backfiueld and a pretty good return guy too.
I'm a pretty big UC fan and I really like Pead, but we also need to replace Cedric Benson. I would much rather get a guy like Miller in the first who is more of an every down type back.

If we could manage to get Miller in the first and Pead in the 3rd, I would be ecstatic. But we have to many needs to be 2nd rounder on a guy like Isah and I'm not sure he's worth it.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:13 PM    (permalink
batsandgats
Rookie

If only the Bengals had a 230 pound powerback with 4.49 speed (which is all front loaded, great burst, mediocre top end speed, but initial burst is better for a back) that was a former 2nd round pick and has improved as a runner every single year and is very reliable ......Seriously, I think Leonard could be a solid rotational back splitting time with a scatback like Pead. His problem coming into the league was vision, which has improved with time, he has averaged over 5 ypc the past 2 years and had 6 catches for 36 yards with 3 rushes for 34 yards in game against the Texans. He didn't exactly get a fair shot in St Louis, when he started Bulger was injured for most of it as well as Holt, and 3 or 4 lineman were out as well for most of it, including his worst game which was against the Ravens who had a top rush d. He still had the same ypc that Jackson had before he injured himself. He got pidgeonholed into a 3rd down blocker because he was good at it, but the guy is a decent runner. He won't light the world on fire but is good enough to get around 12 to 14 touches a game with someone like Pead getting the rest. Every down backs are the thing of the past.

How many teams with workhorses have won the Superbowl recently? I believe the last time a Superbowl winning team had a back with over 300 carries that season was the 2004 Patriots with Corey Dillon. No back in the playoffs this year had 300 carries or more, I think like only 4 had over 250. The better backs are better used with getting around 250 to 290 carries with 50+ catches with time split with another back. Ray Rice had like 290 carries and a ton of catches but his backup had 100 carries as well. I don't see Miller having the potential to consistently catch around 50 passes each year.

I think with the Bengals passing attack they don't really need an every down back and would do fine splitting carries. I don't think Miller could handle the load any way.

Last edited by batsandgats : 02-04-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:29 PM    (permalink
batsandgats
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalgsr View Post
If that's the case then the Lions should draft Pead to replace Best because that's who he reminds me of most.
that would be a nice spot for him to land in, I don't think he is as gifted as Best though.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:01 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

When you start talking about Leonard's stats, you need some context. This is a guy who is primarily in on 3rd down. Which means if it's 3rd and 14, he's getting a draw play that will certainly rack up 9 yards because the defense is protecting the deep pass. I like Leonard a lot, but his stats are really misleading.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:02 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsrocket View Post
When you start talking about Leonard's stats, you need some context. This is a guy who is primarily in on 3rd down. Which means if it's 3rd and 14, he's getting a draw play that will certainly rack up 9 yards because the defense is protecting the deep pass. I like Leonard a lot, but his stats are really misleading.
Take it back

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:30 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals78 View Post
Take it back
Maybe it's just been to long since I've last seen him do a leap!
Old 02-04-2012, 03:47 PM    (permalink
batsandgats
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsrocket View Post
So should we discredit all backs who get most of their playing time in passing formations?

2nd and 1 at CLE 17

B.Leonard left guard to CLV 13 for 4 yards (B.Pool).

3rd and 2 at CIN 33

B.Leonard up the middle to CIN 34 for 1 yard (T.Gooden).

3rd and 12 at CIN 26

(Shotgun) B.Leonard left end to CIN 38 for 12 yards (T.Suggs).

3rd and 4 at BAL 25

B.Leonard right guard to BLT 25 for no gain (T.Suggs).

1st and 10 at PIT 24

B.Leonard up the middle to PIT 23 for 1 yard (J.Harrison; B.Keisel).

2nd and 1 at CIN 30

B.Leonard left tackle to CIN 32 for 2 yards (B.Keisel, W.***).

1st and 10 at CIN 49

B.Leonard up the middle to PIT 48 for 3 yards (C.Hampton; L.Timmons).

1st and 10 at CIN 22

B.Leonard up the middle to CIN 23 for 1 yard (G.Ellis).

1st and 10 at OAK 16

B.Leonard left tackle to OAK 16 for no gain (M.Mitchell, M.Huff).

1st and 10 at OAK 41

B.Leonard up the middle to OAK 30 for 11 yards (M.Huff).

2nd and 1 at OAK 11

B.Leonard up the middle to OAK 5 for 6 yards (D.Bryant, T.Branch).

1st and 5 at OAK 5

B.Leonard left guard to OAK 1 for 4 yards (M.Huff).

2nd and 10 at CIN 25

B.Leonard right guard to CIN 26 for 1 yard (T.Kelly).

3rd and 9 at CIN 26

B.Leonard right end to CIN 24 for -2 yards (T.Branch).

1st and 10 at OAK 19

B.Leonard up the middle to OAK 11 for 8 yards (N.Asomugha; H.Eugene).

2nd and 2 at OAK 11

B.Leonard up the middle to OAK 8 for 3 yards (H.Eugene).

1st and 3 at OAK 3

B.Leonard up the middle to OAK 5 for -2 yards (T.Howard).

2nd and 5 at OAK 5

B.Leonard left guard to OAK 1 for 4 yards (T.Kelly).

1st and 10 at OAK 24

B.Leonard right tackle to OAK 23 for 1 yard (S.Williams).

1st and 10 at CIN 33

B.Leonard up the middle to CIN 34 for 1 yard (G.Warren).

3rd and 7 at CIN 32

(Shotgun) B.Leonard right end to CIN 33 for 1 yard (M.Roth; C.Williams).

1st and 10 at CIN 26

(Shotgun) B.Leonard right guard to CIN 35 for 9 yards (C.Greenway).

3rd and 16 at CIN 18

(Shotgun) B.Leonard left end to CIN 26 for 8 yards (B.Thomas).

1st and 10 at CIN 43

B.Leonard up the middle to CIN 49 for 6 yards (D.Landri, J.Beason).

4th and 2 at CIN 40

B.Leonard right end to CIN 44 for 4 yards (M.Hudson)

4th and 1 at CAR 33

(Shotgun) B.Leonard left end to CAR 27 for 6 yards (J.Beason).

3rd and 2 at CIN 30

(Shotgun) B.Leonard left end to CIN 28 for -2 yards (G.Hayes). CIN-R.Kelly was injured during the play.

1st and 10 at CIN 45

(Shotgun) B.Leonard up the middle to CIN 45 for no gain (Q.Black; C.Grimm).

2nd and 10 at CIN 26

B.Leonard left end to CIN 28 for 2 yards (T.McDaniel).

4th and 1 at CIN 24

(Run formation) Direct snap to B.Leonard. B.Leonard left tackle to IND 34 for 42 yards (J.Hughes, J.Lacey).

3rd and 3 at NO 9

(Shotgun) B.Leonard right tackle to NO 5 for 4 yards (D.Sharper; J.Vilma).

3rd and 5 at CLE 40

(Shotgun) B.Leonard right tackle to CLV 41 for -1 yards (T.Ward). CIN-B.Leonard was injured during the play.

3rd and 23 at CIN 8

B.Leonard right tackle to CIN 19 for 11 yards (J.Mitchell).

3rd and 7 at CIN 36

B.Leonard left tackle to CIN 40 for 4 yards (S.Fujita).

3rd and 1 at CIN 32

(Shotgun) B.Leonard right end to CIN 34 for 2 yards (M.Dareus; L.McKelvin).

1st and 10 at CIN 34

(Shotgun) B.Leonard right guard to CIN 47 for 13 yards (D.Edwards).

1st and 10 at CIN 36

(Shotgun) B.Leonard right tackle to CIN 43 for 7 yards (N.Barnett).

yeah those 3 plays on 3rd and long where he got a good chunk of yardage really inflated his stats (even though he still averages 4 ypc without them), and the fact that there were quite a few 3rd and longs where it didn't seem the defense was fooled trying to protect the deep pass and were ready to tackle him as soon as he got the handoff.

If they ran him like a regular runningback (let him get into some sort of rythym, not 2 carries here, 4 carries there every few games, at least 10 carries a game) and more runs where he isn't in shotgun (hard for a bigger guy to run out of shotgun, not going downhill when taking the handoff), he would probably be even better and break off some bigger runs, also more variety so not he's not just running straight up the gut every time he gets a handoff in a regular formation. He has been pretty consistent though, he has been able to break off a few 20+ yard plays as receiver. And there was the 42 yard run last year with nice zone blocking blocking that wasn't just straight up the gut.

Last edited by batsandgats : 02-04-2012 at 04:07 PM.